PDA

View Full Version : Is Venus's problem more psychological than anything?

debopero
May 17th, 2009, 09:32 PM
It's weird because she's a 5 time Wimbledon champion and she's known for being gritty and tenacious and stoic, but at the same time she always seems to get tight in the important moments. At the AO this year she had a match point on a second serve and she couldn't even get the ball in. She was in excellent form and was favored to win and she didn't make it past the first week. If you watch her matches you can tell when she gets tight because she stops hitting out and moving forward. :sad:

bobbynorwich
May 17th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Huh?

CoolDude7
May 17th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Venus problem is a technical one. Her game produces good shots but technically, her shots can break down rather easily.

V's a star
May 17th, 2009, 11:23 PM
In my opinion yes. In her career its always been if she can keep her technique straight because its not the most sounds whether its FH or serve. It all depends if shes confident enough to keep everything together and flowing. or doubts herself and becomes tentative and the technique breaks down. Simple as that

Slutiana
May 17th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Shes just a freak of nature. She doesnt get tight, I dunno maybe she just loses concentration and when its gone, its gone.

bobbynorwich
May 17th, 2009, 11:32 PM
It all depends if shes confident enough to keep everything together and flowing. or doubts herself and becomes tentative and the technique breaks down. Simple as that

Yeah, but isn't that true of almost every player?

V's a star
May 17th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Yeah, but isn't that true of almost every player?

I guess but more so for Venus. Like compared to Serena she can doubt herself at times but her technique doesn't go off as easy. Venus REALLY has to concentrate to keep her serve working especially among other things because her strokes are not very orthodox

bobbynorwich
May 17th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I guess but more so for Venus. Like compared to Serena she can doubt herself at times but her technique doesn't go off as easy. Venus REALLY has to concentrate to keep her serve working especially among other things because her strokes are not very orthodox

Fair enough.

:cool:

dynamoRockstarr
May 18th, 2009, 02:05 AM
idk i think she knows she can win and when the going gets tough she loses concentration. i also feels as if she thinks too much during the point. then thing go into shambles for her and regrouping 4 her isnt @ a drop of a dime. so i guess it can be psychological. she's such an introvert on the court most of the times i bet if she smash a racket or two regrouping wouldnt be an issue. lol. i say this cuz Vee is my fav.

GracefulVenus
May 18th, 2009, 02:08 AM
What problem :shrug:

Stamp Paid
May 18th, 2009, 02:21 AM
She's just not the strongest player mentally.

Direwolf
May 18th, 2009, 03:56 AM
when she gets in the lead
or her opponent
plays well
she became more passive

Knizzle
May 18th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I think she lets off court things enter her mind and bother her too much and she checks out. Against Safina lately, she seemed not to have her mind on what was going on on court. Just like we have underproductive days at work if something else is bothering.

volta
May 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I think she lets off court things enter her mind and bother her too much and she checks out. Against Safina lately, she seemed not to have her mind on what was going on on court. Just like we have underproductive days at work if something else is bothering.

yeah , she's just not as ice cold as she used to be, not only that but she's no longer as bitchy and as imposing as she used 2, for some reason back int e days she was being described as the bitch of the 2 sis :lol:.

i never know what to expect when she goes to 3 sets these days :o

espntennis
May 18th, 2009, 04:21 PM
1) poor technique on strokes---> wimby helps her with quick, low bou ching balls. not requiring her to "think"
2) if you notice against the top players she usually plays great tennis however against the young up and comers she can struggle. maybe it's a motivation thing?

volta
May 18th, 2009, 04:30 PM
1) poor technique on strokes---> wimby helps her with quick, low bou ching balls. not requiring her to "think"
2) if you notice against the top players she usually plays great tennis however against the young up and comers she can struggle. maybe it's a motivation thing?

back in the days she used to say that she loved to play against the top players so yeah that prob helps

Knizzle
May 18th, 2009, 05:32 PM
yeah , she's just not as ice cold as she used to be, not only that but she's no longer as bitchy and as imposing as she used 2, for some reason back int e days she was being described as the bitch of the 2 sis :lol:.

i never know what to expect when she goes to 3 sets these days :o

actually, shes been pretty good in three sets dating back to fall of last year. She does need some of her meanness back on court.

TennisViewer531
May 18th, 2009, 05:59 PM
it's not a motivation problem. She's just adjusting to the style of play by these up and comers.

volta
May 18th, 2009, 06:15 PM
actually, shes been pretty good in three sets dating back to fall of last year. She does need some of her meanness back on court.

true specially if we look at the YEC but what i mean is that i ALWAYS get nervous when she goes to 3 sets because its really hard to tell with her, with Serena for example i'm usually calm but not with Vee. If she gets broken right away on the 3rd you can pretty much just call the paramedics because i'll be on the floor having seizures.

Def. she needs to be mean again, come with the "i'm going to beat you and you'll like it" attitude alot more on clay :( (last time i saw her with that mood was in the early rounds of Dubai this year and in the Acapulco Final :drool: )

with that said, i'm ready to see her and Ree kick ass next week :banana:

Destiny
May 18th, 2009, 06:19 PM
it's the painkillers