PDA

View Full Version : Graf´s joke about the singles-WC for Wimbledon twice - joke or truth?

ChrisCologne
May 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Even after her singles match Steffi seemed kind of surprised about her own standard and about the joy of playing.

Do you believe the organizers would arrange her a WC?

What a shockwave this would mean.

Alex03Maccy
May 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM
she was definately joking. although in great shape for her age, i don't think she would fair to well in a tough 2 or 3 setter.

ElusiveChanteuse
May 17th, 2009, 07:44 PM
:spit: If it's for doubles, then I'll believe.:p
She still needs some more work if she wants to return again.

franklinbouvier
May 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Of course it was a joke you simpleton

LightWarrior
May 17th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I think she should. Navratilova asked for a wc at 48, won one match.

serenus_2k8
May 17th, 2009, 07:54 PM
She did joke about it twice :unsure: But she was indeed joking.

Mikey B
May 17th, 2009, 07:57 PM
doubles with clijsters, mixed with andre... she'd win something!

delicatecutter
May 17th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I think I'd die from happiness if she did! :worship: Today was such an amazing treat!! I knew I missed Steffi, but I had no idea how much! :kiss:

Tennisstar86
May 17th, 2009, 08:16 PM
it was obviously a joke...... I think she was happy she could even last one set, but lets be real Steffi is not in the kinda shape to go 2-3

Vanity Bonfire
May 17th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I was too busy cackling at her 'playing with Andre for practice' innuendo to notice.

harloo
May 17th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Why not? If Safina can reach #1 then anything is possible.

Give it a try Steffi!!:lol:

Direwolf
May 18th, 2009, 04:16 AM
you dont joke something about you love so seriously
twice

I just think that something inside really just
wants to get back into competition
thats
the power of Wimbledon...
it makes you love tennis!!

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
May 18th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Stef has two school age children, her foundations, businesses, Andre, AND her aches and pains that could resurface with the slightest provacation. She'll never return to the tour. Even though she still has speed, a great shot, and game, she does not have pro-tour strength stamina. She could develop it with more training, but she's been there done that. This was for fun. Her and Andre's next tennis related activity is June 6th for the juniors clinics/Longines Fundraiser in Paris. Let's hope we get some video of that.

Although, I did wonder for a second when she mentioned that wild card a second time! ;)!!!

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
May 18th, 2009, 05:15 AM
I was too busy cackling at her 'playing with Andre for practice' innuendo to notice.

I just wonder what happened to make Andre so angry that he walked out of their practice! ;)!!!

p.s. Anybody here from Los Angeles. Here in West LA that earthquake was pretty darned strong! Thank goodness it waited until after the matches ended to scare the ever living shit out of me!

drake3781
May 18th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I don't see her returning like Kimiko, playing ITFs. So probably not. And a WC for Wimbly without any warmups, probably not. But I would love to be wrong!! I would be more excited than about anything in recent tennis memory if she did.

A Magicman
May 18th, 2009, 06:31 AM
As none of those girls except for like 5 knows how to play properly on grass, Steffi might beat the shit out of some with a good draw.

As much as I would like to see her get to 3rd round or so, I fear the dismantling of her own legend by doing so.

Thanx for the videos, I really enjoy seing the "Countess" being back.

mauresmofan
May 18th, 2009, 10:25 AM
I just wonder what happened to make Andre so angry that he walked out of their practice! ;)!!!

p.s. Anybody here from Los Angeles. Here in West LA that earthquake was pretty darned strong! Thank goodness it waited until after the matches ended to scare the ever living shit out of me!

She probably asked him to hit cross court forehand drills with her and count how many he would win.

fifiricci
May 18th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Anyone who seriously thinks Graf is going to come back is seriously deluded! She appears to be a deliriously happy wife and mother, for whom the tour can surely have no attraction whatsoever. And what's the point when she won everything there was to win several times over. A joke's a joke for god's sake!
Having said that, I was there and to be honest there wasn't much in it between Steffi and Kim! If it's true that Kim has been training hard for weeks now and Steffi just turned up relatively unprepared, that speaks volumes about the natural athleticism and talent that Steffi has......
It was a unique day and I don't think anyone who was there will ever forget it.
:)

Lord Choc Ice
May 18th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I reckon Steffi should totally do it! It would make tons of headlines and would actually draw a good audience to the event. Naturally all her matches would be on center court. I reckon she could win a match or two, and nobody would judge her if she didn't go to the second week or anything. She's like 40 years old. :o

It wouldn't hurt her to do it, and I bet she'd actually find it pretty fun. Playing one event doesn't = a full-blown return to tour.

renstar
May 18th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Well when Martina made a belated return attempt at 48 her serve was like a weak weak imitation of the power it used to be once. Steffi on the other hand still had all the power and she was so thin and fit, so that would be the difference there.

And why should old legends have to fully rejoin the tour? couldnt they just do a grand slam now and then for interest sake?

RenaSlam.
May 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Steffi's forehand is still ridiculously good. Probably better than most girls' forehands on tour.

Lord Choc Ice
May 18th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Steffi's forehand is still ridiculously good. Probably better than most girls' forehands on tour.
Not to mention her serve is still as good as most of the other girls too.

tonybotz
May 18th, 2009, 04:11 PM
how about mixed doubles with Andre!? that would be great exposure for their "brand".

Wilson_07
May 18th, 2009, 05:06 PM
she won't come back. she played great tennis for someone who is 10 years out of the game, but you could see that these longer rallies were exhausting for her. she's still good at those fun-matches, but i don't think she would be able to play a whole tournament.

R-K-M
Nov 21st, 2009, 12:27 PM
Steffi will not come again.but i still suffering about her sudden retirement in 1999.she has same stamina,form,game from french open pre.quarters. and i believe she can win more than 22 slams if she play atleast 3 more years.do you agree?

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 21st, 2009, 09:40 PM
Steffi will not come again.but i still suffering about her sudden retirement in 1999.she has same stamina,form,game from french open pre.quarters. and i believe she can win more than 22 slams if she play atleast 3 more years.do you agree?

No. Some people simply don't understand the aging process. If she really worked hard, I mean really hard, she could probably get back into the top 100, perhaps even the top 50, being the ultra talented athlete that she is. But win another slam? Not even a .00001% chance.

LightWarrior
Nov 22nd, 2009, 01:45 AM
No. Some people simply don't understand the aging process. If she really worked hard, I mean really hard, she could probably get back into the top 100, perhaps even the top 50, being the ultra talented athlete that she is. But win another slam? Not even a .00001% chance.

It's not about playing several tournaments for her to be in the top 100 or 50. A 22 slam tournament winner don't need that. I saw her exhibition match against Clijters and she was moving well,like the old days. She's still so fit at 40 and said at the time that she only got prepared and fit for that Wimbledon exhibition. Grass is by far her best surface, especially when you're old, rallies are shorter. If she asked for a WC next year and get ready or it I'm sure she could fare well. Also about all the young players choking when they face her. I don't know, she was still flying on grass last year, even with little preperation.