PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon Exhibition: Kim CLIJSTERS def. Steffi GRAF 6-4

Kworb
May 17th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Excellent match. For sure the highest quality women's match of the year. Both players could still be in the WTA top 5 today.

moby
May 17th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Fact:
Kim is 25. Steffi will be 40 in a month.

Fact:
Kim is training to comeback as a pro.
Steffi probably doesn't even play that regularly any more.

Fact:
Kim was taking the match far more seriously than Steffi.
She didn't even smile. Steffi at least had a few jokes with the linespersons.

Fact:
Steffi was smoking Kim with her forehand, and was really undermined by her own inconsistency, which is likely due to lack of practice.

In the face of these facts, it's hard to paint this as a win for Kim, even though the score says 6-4 in Kim's favour. ;) If Steffi came back, she would be in the top 10 and a contender for Wimbledon.

Dodoboy.
May 17th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Steffi is a champion!

But PLEASE do not be so vulgar and disrespectful to Kim!

Great play from both, a lot of fun!

moby
May 17th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Steffi is a champion!

But PLEASE do not be so vulgar and disrespectful to Kim!

Great play from both, a lot of fun!Oh, this match bodes well for Kim. She should be able to reach the top 10 too. :p

moby
May 17th, 2009, 05:14 PM
"We've had the pleasure of playing with each other" - Steffi, on her sex tennis partner, Andre. :lol:

Take that WC, Steffi.

CloudAtlas
May 17th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Steffi is the GOAT , no one else comes close to her. Certainly none of the current crop could be playing as well as her ten years after retirement and nearing 40.

Bilbo123
May 17th, 2009, 05:17 PM
best player of all time this Graf

spiritedenergy
:yawn:

Modiac.
Steffi said she might ask for a wimby wildcard,though it's more like kidding. ;)

I'm so impressed by Steffi's serves and the return angles she made. ;)

Body Language ~
May 17th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Of course Kim took it more seriously, she had alot to prove to spectators AND herself with this match.. being she is coming back this summer to the tour full time. It'd be kinda embarrassing had she lost to a player that hasn't played tennis professionally in 10 years.

delicatecutter
AMAZE match!! Such a great day for tennis! :inlove:

crazillo
Incredible!!!!!

ElusiveChanteuse
May 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Kim should not come back, losing four games to the great Steffi. Boooo...:ras:

:rolls: :p

fouc
May 17th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Steffi is love! I would so like to see the highlights

The Dawntreader
May 17th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I still don't know how Kim won. Graf was out-playing her for long periods:sad::lol:

Kim hit about 3 winners:help::lol:

Come back Steffi, you're the true description of GOAT.

moby
May 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Boo @ my thread being moved and subsumed into this one. The intent of my thread was to make a very specific point, and not just to announce the score. The format that it took was for aesthetic reasons. IMHO it represented the general "feel" of the match more accurately.

Slutiana
May 17th, 2009, 05:25 PM
It was great. Slow down on the "Best match of the season" but it was definatly better than anything we witnessed this week. You could see Kim concentrating hard but you could tell that she kinda wanted to hold back a bit. Some of the forehand-forehand rallies were spectacular.

AlwaysGraf
May 17th, 2009, 05:27 PM
What a great day for tennis
Definitely the best match of the year :)
Steffi you could see was a few steps slower but man how well was she playing for not having played in 10 years and like what nearly 15 years from her peak!!!! Great stuff!
Only shitty thing abot the day-Why have John Lloyd and Andrew "who the fook are you" castl commentate on the ladies match. Surely Virginia Wade would have been a better choice!

cs0803
May 17th, 2009, 05:27 PM
That was awesome! I really enjoyed today - what a fantastic idea!

sweetpeas
May 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
??????????????????????????????????????????

Apoleb
May 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
:crying2:

Missed it. Fucking Lebanon.:rolleyes:

wateva
May 17th, 2009, 05:29 PM
come on... it's an exhibition.
would the spectators enjoy it more if kim demolished steffi 6-0?
they paid good money you know?
besides, i've lost count of the number of forehand that kim could have absolutely eaten for lunch today.
both of them are giving chances. (except for kim's double faults)
anyone taking this exho as a measure of what's to come is :cuckoo:

champion88
May 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Really enjoyed that set - was pretty high quality a lot of it - Steffi still playing great stuff 10 years on - she really should take a WC to Wimby and teach some of the Top 100 a thing a 2 still!

Would like to see Kim come back at Wimby as well but she seems set on declining the WC

RenaSlam.
May 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Steffi hit like 4 winners in her first service game alone :eek:

Truly remarkable. Good match from both.

Kim still looks rusty, she'll need to pick it up.

Davodus
May 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM
kim :hearts:

Dave.
May 17th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Amazing match! Just a perfect sample of women's tennis and why I enjoy it so much and like it more than men's. A series of hard-hitting, intense rallies of the highest quality. It's relentless, uncompromising, just forcing the other to drop a ball short and then BAM..point over. Lovely showcase of the modern game, and yes, the current players CAN play like that too.

Good luck to Kim on her comeback.

I feel like watching the 99 Wimby final now or any Graf match, I just can't get enough of her game, it's too beautiful to watch.

Fact:

Fact:

Fact:

Fact:
Steffi was smoking Kim with her forehand, and was really undermined by her own inconsistency, which is likely due to lack of practice.

In the face of these facts, it's hard to paint this as a win for Kim, even though the score says 6-4 in Kim's favour. ;) If Steffi came back, she would be in the top 10 and a contender for Wimbledon.

Oh please, it's an exhibition, no need for excuses. Kim won fair and square. Steffi admitted she had been practicing lots for this.

Only shitty thing abot the day-Why have John Lloyd and Andrew "who the fook are you" castl commentate on the ladies match. Surely Virginia Wade would have been a better choice!

I totally agree. Sam Smith would have been the best choice, as she is with any match.

wally1
Very entertaining match, they both played great I thought. I know it was an exho but I'm convinced that over 1 set at least Graf could still be top 10-20.

Uranus
Both lack practice but it was so emotional to see real talents play for once.

Modiac.
May 17th, 2009, 05:38 PM
First two points of this match:http://you.video.sina.com.cn/b/20864300-1253210783.html

For ppl who didn't watch it. ;)

olivero
May 17th, 2009, 05:39 PM
has someone record it?

please :awww:

Bezz
May 17th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Graf definitely showed she's still got game....but i'm afraid for maybe 1 or 2 sets only. she was exhausted after some of the points....its crazy to think she could still be top 5 or 10 if she came back and had to play 7 matches in the Grand slams.

Kim had alot more to prove...so was bound to be alittle more edgy and serious....but she had alot of fun in the doubles....can't wait for her to return :)

The Daviator
May 17th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Can someone please upload the whole event?

alwayshingis
May 17th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Is it bad that this was the most delightful match of the year?

Great play from both. Remember, Kim still has three months of training before coming back. I think it's good that she isn't rushing coming back, as she can still work on fitness and consistency before then. Very excited for her return! I definitely wish Steffi were serious about taking the WC. She could still beat most players on grass.

Effy
May 17th, 2009, 05:51 PM
i wish i could watch the match :(

Effy
Can someone please upload the whole event?

yes, please

~{X}~
People this was an exhibition, you can't judge anything of it. The score wouldn't be 6-1, 6-2. It had to be slightly competetive.

eugreene2
May 17th, 2009, 05:52 PM
First two points of this match:http://you.video.sina.com.cn/b/20864300-1253210783.html

For ppl who didn't watch it. ;)

Steffi still has great movement/footwork. Frankly, it's better than our current #2 & 1 of my faves, Serena Williams. :lol:

Kim's_fan_4ever
May 17th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I didn't see it but I'm so happy to see that Kimmie won :D I can't wait to see her play a WTA match again :worship:
Steffi, come back too :tears:

Brαm
May 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Steffi's forehand is still amazing to watch! :worship:

Kim was a step or two slower than before but I'm sure she'll work on that during the next few weeks ;)

SV_Fan
May 17th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Did kimmy do any splits?

anon57
May 17th, 2009, 06:01 PM
:worship:Some really entertaining points during that match

ElusiveChanteuse
May 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Did kimmy do any splits?

yeah, i remember she did a couple of them at a point. but she still needs to work on it a little. i hope she doesn't do splits like she would usually do though it's(movement) one of her assets in her game.

djul14
May 17th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Great match from both (and the men too) sides, very good level of tennis for oldies:p
They hitted the ball really hard, and with the roof closed the sound was even more louder I found.
On some points the public seemed to be, sort of, amazed by the quality of the shots ;)
Oh and on this afternoon I saw something incredible for women tennis... slices:o

Steffi I miss you even more:sad: so good to see her play again worship: (even if too many unforced errors:mad::lol:)

doujyr
May 17th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Very entertaining match, they both played great I thought. I know it was an exho but I'm convinced that over 1 set at least Graf could still be top 10-20.

A lot of the current players would be much higher ranked if over 1 set!!! :lol:

Steffi looked in such good shape. The skill levels obviously still there, but equally obviously fitness, stamina, recovery time etc not there. Match played at an incredible pace between points. Maybe if Steffi had used some of the modern tricks to slow the match down between points to allow more recovery time ... :devil:

Having spent time getting herself fit and obviously enjoyed it she should enter the over 35 tournament next month.

djul14
May 17th, 2009, 06:16 PM
And even I am Steffi biggest fan, it's clear that she could win perhaps one set (or two :p) against some top players, but she never could win a tournaments by playing matches in a row etc.

But the tennis is still there, definitely, she made a lot of winners with her forehand (those were the days), some beautiful volleys and her shape is amazing, stil so athletic.
It remind me when she played with Henin at the FO in 2004 for an exo too, she looked more in shape than Justine lol.

Alex03Maccy
May 17th, 2009, 06:16 PM
great match, was very impressed by the overall high standard.

H.A.M.
May 17th, 2009, 06:27 PM
If Kim can barely beat a 40 y.o. mamasita, it doesn't bode well for her comeback.

Hum and is it me or Steffi looks in much better shape than Kimmy? :eek:

Vanity Bonfire
May 17th, 2009, 07:43 PM
great match, was very impressed by the overall high standard.

About five winners were hit during the whole thing. I thought it was really dull - if everyone thinks Kim is going to the top five I'd think again.

espntennis
May 17th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Here's some highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhJzL9ol098

IMPOSSIBLE
May 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Graf hit one really amazing forehand, I was like OMG

debopero
May 17th, 2009, 07:51 PM
woohoo highlights thank you!

Temporary0369
May 17th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Steffi losing to Kim on grass :help:!

:rolleyes: She should just retire.

Roookie
May 17th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Steffi come back!...Kim :woohoo: can't wait to see you play on the tour again beating all the pretenders.

Justin
May 17th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Fact:

Fact:

Fact:

Fact:

Your "probably facts" are, um, "probably" interesting, to say the least. And to suggest that Steffi came into the exo ill-prepared is laughable.

Steffi is the GOAT , no one else comes close to her. Certainly none of the current crop could be playing as well as her ten years after retirement and nearing 40.

Kimiko Date would beat Steffi if they played today.

Sarah<Kim-fan>
May 17th, 2009, 08:16 PM
some highlights, it's short, but it also has parts from the mixed doubles match :)
(incl the Andre-hitting-Kim-moment ;))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4BRW0ImmhA

Robert-KimClijst
May 17th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Great match. Of course, it's just an exhibition, but it was still really fun. :) Better quality than most tennis this whole week. :p

starin
May 17th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Fact:

Fact:

Fact:

Fact:

:tape: Didn't Kimiko Date beat Steffi Graf pretty handily in an exo awhile back?
and while Date is doing well on tour she's hardly a contender for anything serious.

mb011
May 17th, 2009, 08:45 PM
great match! but of course you people do realize, steffi simply could not play regular week-to-week pro tennis at the age of 40, and with these young girls around... she is good for a tournament or two, just for fun, and to show these younsters what true champs are, but i doubt she'd have the capacity of becoming a top 10 player anymore... and she a s atrue champion of course realizes that, and that is why the WC talk was a joke...

Noctis
May 17th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Steffi losing to Kim on grass :help:!

:rolleyes: She should just retire.

did you just woke up from a coma? :help:

Dodoboy.
May 17th, 2009, 09:00 PM
This match is surreal to me now, it doesn't seem like it happened

disco_rage
May 17th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Very enteraining event.
Graf aged 39, retired 10 years ago, hardly plays tennis or trains and still fitter than about 60% of the WTA Top 100.
and how much are Steffi Graf and Andre Agassi IN LOVE.... so sweet!

Hagar
May 17th, 2009, 09:06 PM
This was a wonderful moment. The roof is fantastic, congratulations to those who have designed it, it lets in so much light, you hardly notice that it is there. And then to see André, Steffi, Tim and Kim... What a moment Kim choose for her comeback. The tennis was fun but also really good.
And I had to multitask because at the same time I was following Roger's match in Madrid online. And he won! It really doesn't get any better than this.

Daniel
May 17th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Kim :)

SAEKeithSerena
May 17th, 2009, 09:15 PM
great fun!

DragonFlame
May 17th, 2009, 09:39 PM
steffi could still compete so well. :eek: If she had taken those 2 gamepoints at *2-0 40-15 i could have seen her winning this. She's definetly still great on grass. If she trains hard i wouldn't even be surprised if she made the wimbledon quarterfinals. (don't mistake me, i don't think she would do well on clay or hardcourts.) I was really surprised by how good she was hitting her serve. The forehand was obvious but the serve was more then good for someone who hasn't played in such a long time.

Kim was okay... but she was basically her old defensive self. Graf was dictating play out there lol. :lol:
I loved steffi's serve-volley at 3-5 40-40.

Beat
May 17th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Fact:

that made me laugh; steffi graf not taking seriously a competition? yeah, right.

Steffica Greles
May 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM
While I wouldn't quite go as far as Moby, Graf is clearly top 50 material even today...at the age of 40!!!

Graf was moving better than Kim, 14 years her junior, for heaven's sake. What kind of 40 year-old who hardly trains is in that sort of shape? Never mind 'freaks from Majorca', I should take another look at your wife, Mr Agassi.

If ever there was any doubt in the minds of the kiddies that Graf was as great as we've all said she was.

mauresmofan
May 17th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Steffi still has it - amazing stuff from her and Kim didn't play too badly either high quality match up. Great advert for womens tennis although it certainly doesn't reflect what womens tennis has now become.

~Cherry*Blossom~
May 17th, 2009, 10:56 PM
MOTY :haha:

It didn't start getting good until 3-2. Before that it was Steffi slicing into the net and Kim missing. Even the crowd wasn't into it until the 3-2 game, then they started to get involved.

Kim looked serious but tried to hold it back. It was evident in the first game on her first break point. She didn't bother to get to the Graf forehand and then turned and laughed with the umpire.

Steffi was amazing for someone who hadn't played for 10 years. She hit some really good forehands in this match.

Yeah it was nice to watch but definitely not match of the year.

Craig.
May 17th, 2009, 11:01 PM
^Yeah, I really don't get all this match of the year crap. Sure it was great fun, but it was UEs galore for about half of it.

CJ07
May 17th, 2009, 11:02 PM
A healthy Steffi Graf would make the tour look foolish. As would a healthy and fit Seles and 35 year old Navratilova. These ball bashers wouldn't know what to do when put up against actual talent.

CJ07
May 17th, 2009, 11:03 PM
^Yeah, I really don't get all this match of the year crap. Sure it was great fun, but it was UEs galore for about half of it.
And actual tour matches aren't?

youizahoe
May 17th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Well done kim :D

Craig.
May 17th, 2009, 11:05 PM
And actual tour matches aren't?

There have been better matches than that for sure this year :shrug: Not too many, but yeah, there have been.

G1Player2
May 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
There have been better matches than that for sure this year :shrug: Not too many, but yeah, there have been.

Yeah, it was some ugly tennis out there but they aren't on the tour regularly. But, Graf looked AMAZING. But, a near 40 year-old Navratilova in the early 1990's was a Top 3-5 player so if Steffi Graf got super fit and returned to the tour she might do well. Definitely not Top 3 but Top 20 maybe.

G1Player2
May 17th, 2009, 11:09 PM
A healthy Steffi Graf would make the tour look foolish. As would a healthy and fit Seles and 35 year old Navratilova. These ball bashers wouldn't know what to do when put up against actual talent.

Navratilova OVER the age of 35 was making players on tour look foolish back in the early 90's when she SHOULD have won her 10th Wimbledon title at the age of 38 before her shock loss to Conchita Martinez. Seles, I dsiagree with even if she was fit but Graf could definitely be competetive.

Libertango
May 17th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I love these two - can't wait for Kim to come back. Steffi played so well consdiering she hasn't played for ten years.
Two things: I think the roof/court look fantastic. And I think Steffi looks like Gisele Bundchens older sister. :p

Dunlop1
May 17th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Does Steffi look GREAT or what!!
And her footwork :hearts:.
At 39, she is still giving a masterclass in advanced footwork patterns (her step-around sequence and her shuffle step recovery are :worship::worship:)

I LOVE watching Graf play. Such a treat.

CJ07
May 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Also, Steffi looked amazing out there. Great body for almost 40 with 2 kids!

CJ07
May 17th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Navratilova OVER the age of 35 was making players on tour look foolish back in the early 90's when she SHOULD have won her 10th Wimbledon title at the age of 38 before her shock loss to Conchita Martinez. Seles, I dsiagree with even if she was fit but Graf could definitely be competetive.
An overweight Seles was Top 5 in 2002. If she was as fit as she is now and healthy and playing well, Seles would still beat the majority of the tour on slower surfaces.

Dave.
May 18th, 2009, 12:00 AM
It was a great match but anyone taking this to mean something is taking it the wrong way. No way could Graf, being out for 10 years, make the top 20 or top 50 now. She lost to another person who has been out for a long time and who clearly was not moving well, is not in her best shape and was playing an exhibition. I'm sure Kim would have been alot more into the match had it been a tour match, and been alot more attacking.

On the flip side, the way Kim played also means little regarding her comeback. It was an exhibition, nothing more. After a few more months of training and getting her movement back I think Kim will be in a good position to make it back to the top of the game.

LightWarrior
May 18th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I was more of a Seles fan back then and I know, it's just an exhibition, but I'm amazed at Graf. She's almost 40, is in much better shape like most professional players today, flying on the court, hitting winners with that deadly forehand. I'm confused, did she retire 10 years ago or has the the wta players not improved at all ? I feel she could take anyone on Centre Court, it's almost surreal. I wonder, did she just prepare for this exhibition or does she play regularly ? Anyway, absoulutely wonderful, nothing has changed.

HRHoliviasmith
May 18th, 2009, 12:24 AM
i'm watching it now and all i can say is steffi :worship:

moby
May 18th, 2009, 12:40 AM
While I wouldn't quite go as far as Moby, Graf is clearly top 50 material even today...at the age of 40!!!

Graf was moving better than Kim, 14 years her junior, for heaven's sake. What kind of 40 year-old who hardly trains is in that sort of shape? Never mind 'freaks from Majorca', I should take another look at your wife, Mr Agassi.

If ever there was any doubt in the minds of the kiddies that Graf was as great as we've all said she was.Top 50 if she came back as is. But I'm more interested in discussing potentiality. She could definitely be much higher if she trained a lot more. I don't suggest that Steffi was ill-prepared at all; she's too much of a perfectionist to allow even the possibility of embarassing herself on Center Court. Training for a one-off exhibition is very different from training to play on the circuit though. The fitness aspects got to her a bit (not that she's not incredibly fit for a 40 year old!), but she could obviously be fitter still.

I base this on how she was playing. She was dictating the rallies out there. She was doing the overpowering. On grass, she'd still be a force. It will be difficult to sustain the level she was playing at, but if she comes back super-fit and works out the kinks in her slice (too many UEs for the kind of shot it was/is meant to be) and her forehand (occasionally erratic) I think she'd be able to challenge for a spot in the top 10. Top 20 is a huge possibility for sure.

In her late 30s, Navratilova was a top 5-10 player, so why not Graf? Yes, Steffi has been away for a long time, but she still plays an incredibly modern timeless game.

LOL @ all the people up in arms over my initial comment.

Tennis Ball
May 18th, 2009, 12:44 AM
It was a great match but anyone taking this to mean something is taking it the wrong way. No way could Graf, being out for 10 years, make the top 20 or top 50 now. She lost to another person who has been out for a long time and who clearly was not moving well, is not in her best shape and was playing an exhibition. I'm sure Kim would have been alot more into the match had it been a tour match, and been alot more attacking.

On the flip side, the way Kim played also means little regarding her comeback. It was an exhibition, nothing more. After a few more months of training and getting her movement back I think Kim will be in a good position to make it back to the top of the game.

Indeed, like someone said before, Kim held back, as soon as she noticed Steffi got tired from running, and paid the umpire a visit to rest. She also held back after she made that slide, she was afraid to get injured.

I was more of a Seles fan back then and I know, it's just an exhibition, but I'm amazed at Graf. She's almost 40, is in much better shape like most professional players today, flying on the court, hitting winners with that deadly forehand. I'm confused, did she retire 10 years ago or has the the wta players not improved at all ? I feel she could take anyone on Centre Court, it's almost surreal. I wonder, did she just prepare for this exhibition or does she play regularly ? Anyway, absoulutely wonderful, nothing has changed.

She and Andre play together and Steffi playes exhibitions.
In fact, Steffi has been playing more than Kim in the last 2 years, as Kim has played ZERO, and only 16 weeks ago started training again, which was mostly physical training without playing tennis. At the moment she is having tennis-training only once per day (instead of 2).

It was exciting to see them both play and it was over much too soon. It's a pitty they changed the amount of sets they would play.

Joana
May 18th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Graf would certainly win matches if she came back, if nothing else, some poor soul would wet her pants at the mere sight of Steffi on the other side of the net. It's just that, she'd play one tournament, possibly win a few matches and then spend the next couple of months recovering from injuries.

But it sure was great to see her in action again.

LindsayRulz
May 18th, 2009, 12:47 AM
From what I saw Kim seemed to hit on Steffi's forehand most of the time, not sure she would have done that in a tour's match. :p

Congrats to both Kim and Steffi. :worship:

Anabelcroft
May 18th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Most games went to deuce...

petesz
May 18th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Just saw the match, Kim looks great! Pity she couldn't come back earlier at wimbledon.

Excellent match. For sure the highest quality women's match of the year. Both players could still be in the WTA top 5 today.

LightWarrior
May 18th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I don't want do be an old stick but looks at how gracious Graf is on the court. I was seeing the '95 US Open final between Graf and Seles and I felt nowadays tennis has been going a wrong way. Butch ball-basher Safina #1 just slamming the ball...Such a diagrace watching Steffi playing with grace. Even Monica was playing gracefully, committing very few unforced errors. Now we have a Wozaniacki/Safina final in Madrid...appaling match.

esquímaux
May 18th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Great match, but who is this opera chick after the match :cuckoo:

Machi
May 18th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Kim is too fat to play. She needs to get fit before she attempts USO.

Ben.
May 18th, 2009, 01:24 AM

I agree. Don't know why some people need to be so analytical & serious.

Anyway it's great to see two great players back in action :) I'm sure that Kim will keep on working hard.

~{X}~
May 18th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Kim is too fat to play. She needs to get fit before she attempts USO.

She wasn't fat at all? She just needs to get into the groove again of playing competetive match ups.

Ciarán
May 18th, 2009, 01:54 AM
WD Kim :yeah:

TennisViewer531
May 18th, 2009, 02:08 AM
It was an exhibition match so it's expected that both players did not give their 100 percent. Still, a great statement from Kim to the tennis world.

Sally Struthers
May 18th, 2009, 02:21 AM
steffi :bowdown: :worship:

pollison
May 18th, 2009, 02:30 AM
OMG just watched highlights online.
That was some of the most enjoyable tennis to watch all year!
Absolutely loved it, Kim has a long way to go but she stuill has all the talent and WOW steffi is amazing for 40!

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
May 18th, 2009, 02:34 AM
:tape: Didn't Kimiko Date beat Steffi Graf pretty handily in an exo awhile back?
and while Date is doing well on tour she's hardly a contender for anything serious.

http://sports.in.msn.com/tennis/stories/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1290358

"After playing Navratilova, Graf went on to face Japan's Kimiko Date but lost by a score of 6-2, 6-3."

Stef prepares for these exhos, but didn't she say that she hardly plays between (except maybe with their daughter, Jaz)? She said in that BBC interview that she and Andre hit together less than once a month average (with emphasis on less). So, I think they played pretty well together considering. Also, Andre pulled back after he hit Kim, as he should have in a fun exho.

Kim was a little chubby when she played on the tour in my opinion. It was for fun, but I do think Kim looked very serious out there. And Stef played it straight too. That was good for fans, but I did wish for a little more of the fun that Andre brings to a set. LOL

p.s. AFter re-watching the match on Tennis Channel (actually, it's on now)... These players are not (or no longer) grunters, so it was nice to hear the sound of the ball coming off the strings (as Andre thought would be a little bonus effect of the closed roof). But what I kept thinking -- how is it going to sound when the shriekers arrive! We shall see.

zxcVbnm88
May 18th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Fact:

Fact:

Fact:

Fact:

Kim's backhand crosscourt is killing Steffi yet she hit to Steffi's forehand frequently.
It's okay if you can't tell that Kim held back because it was just an exhibition and she had to show Steffi some respect.

No one would doubt that Steffi is in amazing shape for a 40 yo woman.

drake3781
May 18th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Wow Steffi's technique (on her groundstrokes, and her footwork as Dunlop mentioned) is amazing to see. Thanks SO MUCH for the video.

Hardiansf
May 18th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Fact:

Fact:

Fact:

Fact:

Yes..yes... I know...Steffi is amazing and she really is! :worship:
But you don't have to discredit Kim. She is really nervous. Look at her face and body language. So contrast with Steffi.
It's a quality match afterall. Great. :worship:

ChrisCologne
May 18th, 2009, 06:40 AM
For those who cannot get over mentioning Graf´s loss to Date in 2008:

Graf came to Tokyo injured but with all tickets sold and the first time for ages that Martina Navratilova was in one event with Steffi, Steffi decided to play in spite of her back.

She won against Navratilova and then should´ve skipped the play against Kimiko, but she´s friends with Date and wouldn´t want to let her down.

So, for those who think Date would beat Graf in 2009, let me say: That loss last year was no sign of Graf´s form at that time.

Pops Maellard
May 18th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Steffi and Andre hit together less than a month? :weirdo:

I'm not sure about Steffi but Andre's been working with Fernando Verdasco in recent times so he might've been playing a bit more than Steffi.

Renalicious
May 18th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Okay it was an entertaining match but definitely not 'the best of the year'. :lol: It was sort of low quality but a fun match to watch. :p

<Sven>
May 18th, 2009, 09:00 AM
:hearts: Great to see Kim back on court! Good performence, but also a good call not to rush the comeback. She could still use a bit of practice before stepping on the big stage!
Like most posters here I was also really impressed with the shape Steffi is in!

Anabelcroft
May 18th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Graf had more winners than Clijsters and was dictating the game...

Zhao
May 18th, 2009, 11:45 AM
finally a match without the unnecessary gruntings... kim's unforced errors are not caused by her holding back... she's just not that fit.... as compare to 40 yo Graf

Anabelcroft
May 18th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I agree with you...Graf even made 0 double faults unlike Clijsters...

renstar
May 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM
What a pleasure to watch, Steffi smiling all the way. Her shots are still lethal and accurate, just a little rust from not playing. You could tell with her service wind up action that the auto pilot program from 10 years ago was kicking back in from its own accord.

If she was determined and trained she would kick all butt before her on the current tour (except the 10% of the time the Williams play above themselves).

I felt the old excitement I used to feel watching womens tennis watching this match...... today its like "whatshername-anova playing boring-anova" erm yawn

irma
May 18th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Steffi is in fitness clubs for women (mrs sporty in Germany) so she needs to be in good shape to set an example.

Lukullus
May 18th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Could someone pleaze upload the matches of Kim (singles + doubles) onto Rapidshare/Megaupload?
I wasn't able to watch them and YouTube sucks on my notebook...

Thank you very much!

Lukullus

Pops Maellard
May 18th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Just curious, did Steffi serve any aces? I only saw a bit of the match.

DragonFlame
May 18th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Just curious, did Steffi serve any aces? I only saw a bit of the match.

Yeah she did.(i think) She was actually serving pretty well, i was expecting the forehand but not the serve. I was surprised by it's effectiveness, it held up really well except for that 1 game.

Pops Maellard
May 18th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Yeah she did.(i think) She was actually serving pretty well, i was expecting the forehand but not the serve. I was surprised by it's effectiveness, it held up really well except for that 1 game.
I :hearts: her serve. Considering it and the rest of her game are as powerful as the women on tour today (well most of them) even when she's from a far bygone era just stands testament to the legend she is. :worship:

Gerri
May 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM
What a pleasure to watch, Steffi smiling all the way. Her shots are still lethal and accurate, just a little rust from not playing. You could tell with her service wind up action that the auto pilot program from 10 years ago was kicking back in from its own accord.

If she was determined and trained she would kick all butt before her on the current tour (except the 10% of the time the Williams play above themselves).

I felt the old excitement I used to feel watching womens tennis watching this match...... today its like "whatshername-anova playing boring-anova" erm yawn

Me too. Steffi's forehand is still totally :drool::drool: Lot of fun to watch yesterday :yeah:

Anabelcroft
May 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Clijsters must upgrade her game if she wants to get back...Oldie Steffi had more winners and was more aggressive than her...

LoveFifteen
May 18th, 2009, 02:29 PM
What is up with all this talk of Steffi taking a wild card? She has nothing ... NOTHING ... left to prove. :shrug:

Pops Maellard
May 18th, 2009, 02:33 PM
What is up with all this talk of Steffi taking a wild card? She has nothing ... NOTHING ... left to prove. :shrug:

It would just be for fun.

mauresmofan
May 18th, 2009, 02:54 PM

She was joking and it was a little bit of a dig at Kim not taking one.

Anabelcroft
May 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM
With her "rusty" game she could pass few rounds...even today at 40 she plays much better than most of the girls on the tour...

arn
May 18th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I'm sure most of the top-50 would not know how to handle that back-hand slice of Graf. There's noone in history with a better slice and the youngsters just do not know how to handle that. Graf could easily be top-20.

Anabelcroft
May 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Today,only "older" players use more slice...Schnyder as example,but not much anyone else,so you got the point!

domon17th
May 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Watching Graf play is an absolute delight! Love her game and that little S&V. I miss her.

darrinbaker00
May 18th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Graf came to Tokyo injured but with all tickets sold and the first time for ages that Martina Navratilova was in one event with Steffi, Steffi decided to play in spite of her back.

She won against Navratilova and then should´ve skipped the play against Kimiko, but she´s friends with Date and wouldn´t want to let her down.

So, for those who think Date would beat Graf in 2009, let me say: That loss last year was no sign of Graf´s form at that time.
Is it just me, or does anyone else think this post is a little "Calimero-esque?"

djul14
May 18th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Watching Graf play is an absolute delight! Love her game and that little S&V. I miss her.

Yep +1;)
Just watching her slices was a real delight, a UFO:p, compared to nowadays matches:o
And her footwork, serve, volley, amazing shape and ... her Forehand !:drool: Oh god, it was like I was watching a different sport.
Miss her.

MistyGrey
May 18th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Steffi still is the best.... such a delight to watch her !

youizahoe
May 18th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Quite funny how people are saying Kim Clijsters needs to upgrade her game. First of all, it's her first match in a while, second of all, she was clearly holding back, you ain't gonna play ur top in an exhibition.

doujyr
May 18th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I felt the old excitement I used to feel watching womens tennis watching this match

:yeah:

slydevil6142
May 18th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I watched this match as well and Kim was holding back QUITE A BIT. She hit about 75% of her shots to the Graf forhand something she would never do in a real match). Steffi is in amazing shape and could still be a top 20 player easily however, Steffi was alot more winded than Kim was. Kim noticed this and Steffi being her idol didnt play nearly as hard and she can/will when she comes back to the tour. Alot of the girls on tour need to look at Steffi and get themselves together.

Tennis Ball
May 18th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I agree with you...Graf even made 0 double faults unlike Clijsters...

Steffi did double-fault :p
It was a delight to be back in time for a while. I wish it would have been possible to witness a clash between Steffi's generation and the top players as of date. It happens that consecutive generations don't overlap. Steffi retired 10 years ago and Kim debuted on the tour exactly 10 years ago, f.i.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
May 18th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Graf is still good

Easily top 15 nowadays

Tennis Ball
May 18th, 2009, 09:28 PM

She joked about it because Kim declined one. But if only Steffi would take a WC! :sad: That would have been truly exciting!

http://www.sport.be/nl/images/2009/mei/kimwimtek.jpg

http://www.sport.be/fotospecial/5173/kimtec.jpg

http://www.sport.be/fotospecial/5173/kim06.jpg

alfonsojose
May 19th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Some people here .. :rolleyes: Kim was pushing and counterpounching. When she pressed hard, it was over. Steffi's serve and forehand are still there but backhand and speed aren't good enough anymore.

cogent53
May 19th, 2009, 12:30 AM
It was such a delight to watch this match. I was very impressed with Steffi's play. The same serve action, that fab slice backhand and smacking the forehand. What was so nice was that she looked to be really enjoying it too.
I also think Kim held back quite a bit and fed the forehand, but she's 15 years younger and in pretty much full training. By the looks of things Steffi has been in training for a while too. She's noticeably skinnier than in her more muscular playing days, but for an old lady, her movement was great and she still has that wonderful timing.
It was also brilliant to see Kim back playing. It'll be fascinating to see how she fares back on the tour.

CrossCourt~Rally
May 19th, 2009, 01:21 AM
It was a beautiful match to watch:hearts:. It really makes you remember and appreciate how highly stylised Grafs game was (is) after not watching her play for over 10 years :worship:.

Herill
May 19th, 2009, 06:08 PM
yeah... amazed with steff's serve & her forehand still a killer !

faboozadoo15
May 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM

It would be interesting to see a lot of the legends make a fun comeback.

Seles in her exhibitions looks silly good. Winners everywhere, placing her serve on a dime. The skills are still there, maybe not the legs.

faboozadoo15
May 19th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Also: What a fun event this looked to be. The venue is fantastic; the tennis was entertaining.

Is it weird I'm already pumped for Wimbledon? :lol:
Rogi better win, proving the odd CC was the only way he could have lost.

faboozadoo15
May 19th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Side note: Kim looks really slow (for her). She'll really have to step up her fitness for her comeback to be successful.

faboozadoo15
May 19th, 2009, 06:34 PM

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? Comparing a retired player's form from one year to the next with just exo's to work with. :lol:

Injured from what? Pushing a stroller?

fammmmedspin
May 19th, 2009, 06:56 PM

I don't think many people were making the claim that Steffi could go out and play 7 GS matches including some 2 hour ones. The point is that in her late 30s after 10 years off the tour she she still has more tactical sense, a more reliable serve, fewer UEs and more ability to hit an angle than nearly all the of the current top 20 plus a match winning forehand weapon few have, killer slices only some can attempt and the best footwork around..
Kim and Steffi both played down at times but at others they hit rallies that were pretty full out - interestingly Kim looked to have a bit more consistency back than when she went away although the Graf forehand is still good enough to stop even Kim getting some balls back. A consistent Kim with a bit more speed should make hay in the current top 20. With a bit of work on her weaponry she ought to be as consistent as JJ but deadlier.Graf would be like the sum of JJ/Ivanovic/Dementieva and Safina in a faster body with a deadly slice, better tactics and more reliable shots on top- all she needs is a ten year younger body.

Steff_forever
May 19th, 2009, 07:09 PM
in a month she's 40 and hasn't lost anything of her aura

I still miss her so much...

and: this match has nothing to say about Kim's actual capabilities, pls do not degrade her chances for a fine comeback from this match

bandabou
May 19th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I don't think many people were making the claim that Steffi could go out and play 7 GS matches including some 2 hour ones. The point is that in her late 30s after 10 years off the tour she she still has more tactical sense, a more reliable serve, fewer UEs and more ability to hit an angle than nearly all the of the current top 20 plus a match winning forehand weapon few have, killer slices only some can attempt and the best footwork around..
Kim and Steffi both played down at times but at others they hit rallies that were pretty full out - interestingly Kim looked to have a bit more consistency back than when she went away although the Graf forehand is still good enough to stop even Kim getting some balls back. A consistent Kim with a bit more speed should make hay in the current top 20. With a bit of work on her weaponry she ought to be as consistent as JJ but deadlier.Graf would be like the sum of JJ/Ivanovic/Dementieva and Safina in a faster body with a deadly slice, better tactics and more reliable shots on top- all she needs is a ten year younger body.

Alas....somethings are just what they are..

LDVTennis
May 19th, 2009, 10:00 PM
This is the first time I saw Steffi play with a wide-beamed racquet. All her previous Dunlop and Wilson models were narrow-beamed. The racquet face was slightly larger too, though not as large as that of Kim's racquet or even much larger than Steffi's mid-size racquet of '99.

Perhaps, that is what accounted for the additional pace, despite the fact that Steffi did not seem to be swinging very hard/fast at the ball. With her previous racquets, she got most, if not all of her power from racquet speed. With this racquet, she wasn't even swinging that hard and still hitting a pretty good ball.

Racquet notwithstanding, it was a marvel to me that she can still hit an inside-in forehand from the backhand corner. On a day when Federer beat Nadal in large part because he rediscovered his inside-in forehand, to see Steffi hit one was the perfect poetic rejoinder.

Sha_ra_po_va
May 19th, 2009, 11:29 PM
steffi looked AMAZING and kim not so shabby. I really truly believe steffi would make the quarters at wimbledon without even breaking sweat...

Emina.
May 19th, 2009, 11:40 PM
:)

LightWarrior
May 19th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Whether you liked her or not Steffi playing the way she did at almost 40 is an inspiration for everybody. I don't see any difference from 10 years ago. I know it's an exhibition and probably we don't give enough credit to Kim who may have won more easily.
It's just that nowadays grace almost doesn't exist in women's tennis. Just compare butch basher Safina to gracious Steffi flying on the court. It's appaling how women's tennis has evolved the wrong way. Today's make-or-break way of playing is horrendous.

Dunlop1
May 19th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Racquet notwithstanding, it was a marvel to me that she can still hit an inside-in forehand from the backhand corner. On a day when Federer beat Nadal in large part because he rediscovered his inside-in forehand, to see Steffi hit one was the perfect poetic rejoinder.

This was one of the things I took into account when praising her footwork, specifically her step-around sequence is SO fluid/graceful. This excellent footwork enables her to hit the inside-out forehand with ease, even at 39.

serenafann
May 20th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Steffi looked great out there,she was incredible and has a truly timeless game that would be successful in any era.

Congrats Kim your play bodes well for your return to the upper echelon of Tennis.

renstar
May 20th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Steffi played very very well, BUT i just looked at a few sets of her playing Martina as a 19yo in the 89 Wimbledon final on youtube and her power and accuracy is frightening!! So yes Steffi is a bit off her 19yo version but still playing great. I defy anyone saying todays current players could beat Steffi or Martina at their peak to look at this match.

Anabelcroft
May 20th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Look at her H2H record against still active players she played like Sugiyama,Tanasugarn,Ruano-Pasqual,Williams sisters,Mauresmo,Date-Krumm,even Clijsters and you will see the result...her level of play as a 40 year old is still outstanding even when "rusty"...

tennisvideos
May 20th, 2009, 11:07 AM
has someone record it?

please :awww:

If you check out Karen's site she has all three matches plus an additional 30 minute interview of Steffi and Andre available on the one DVD for a special deal. Look on the Red Hot Specials section of her site:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/tennisvideos1/

Anabelcroft
May 20th, 2009, 03:24 PM
You also have it on youtube...

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
May 20th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Injured from what? Pushing a stroller?

Since Graf plays tennis so rarely, and especially NOT at a high level, she injures herself easily in the training process. Especially since she has been highly vulnerable to injury going back to -- hell maybe the beginning -- but certainly the early 90's.

Graf hasn't had to "push a stroller" for a number of years given that her children are 5 and 7. She and Andre hardly ever play (per their interview last week on the BBC). It seems she plays mostly with her 5 year old, maybe her mother, Andre's dad, and the kids of their various friends or the kids at the Boys/Girls club of Las Vegas. Or for charity against pros or former pros -- and only maybe once a year if that.

Stef got injured with a stomach muscle strain while training and could not play the Mannheim event against Justine in 2007 (although, because she did not want to disappoint her hometown fans, she played the mixed set), and I think I read that she had a leg injury while preparing for another event (maybe the Nav/Date? With her back a problem since the early 90's, it's not surprising that it acts up when she pushes herself.

So, Stef is a 39 year old retired player who suffered a MULTITUDE of injuries when she was a pro that still bother her! In 2006 Andre said how Stef's knee is still a problem for her. She said that because her back problems were congenital, that she'd always be vulnerable.

Andre was injured going into the Wimbledon Celebration! He had to get two cortizone injections for his playing side wrist. But he was willing to pay the price not to miss this event! The same as Stef paying the price not to miss the event in Japan.

I don't see the problem with the person who posted about her being injured. So, Graf spent herself during Navratilova, and lost to Date at an exho. Hell, they were playing for fun -- NOT a GS on the WTA tour.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
May 20th, 2009, 05:10 PM

Exactly! But, it's the tendency of the drama queens on this board to come up with fantasies about what the players should or could do! The reality is that it was all in fun for that event, and it came off better than expected for me (or maybe not -- Andre always says that Stef "likes to look good" when she plays...).

Some people have questioned Stef's fitness (since she got winded in the 6th game), but take into account that Graf only had limited practice time to prepare, and still looked and moved great! Andre started practicing not that long ago because he was traveling and doing those events for education in Nevada, and to promote the Athletes for Hope Foundation! Heck, I have a radio interview from like a month ago with Andre, and he hadn't seriously started practicing then from what he said.

The matches were a blast for me. I could not believe some of the exchanges between Stef and Kim (I'm sorry, they weren't always "holding" back either -- they went full out), and was delighted at the long rallies (what a change from what I'm used to from today's tour players with the high UE count).

Anabelcroft
May 20th, 2009, 05:26 PM
True,I don't think they were holding back...they had a lot of winners,especially Steffi...love the serve & volley in the last game she served...

calico_101
May 20th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Is it me or is the camera angle different? I think I prefer the old one!

Lucemferre
May 20th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Much ado about an exhibition match :rolleyes: Kim was hitting right into Graf hitting zone to make it a match. Yes Graf still can play but someone like Radwanska or Hingis would make her look like a granny. Navratilova won an offical match when she was much older than 40. It's not a big deal. There is always inferior players to beat even for 40 year old players.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
May 20th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Navratilova won an offical match when she was much older than 40. It's not a big deal. There is always inferior players to beat even for 40 year old players.

Not after two babies and being off the tour for 10 years!

hablo
May 20th, 2009, 07:36 PM
So good to see Kimmie play, even if it was just an exhibition. Can't wait to see her play a real match though! :hearts:

Graf looks good. Very fit.

Sally Struthers
May 20th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Steffi is a legend. It was like watching Helen Lawson give Nicole Kidman an acting lesson!

FrauleinSteffi
May 21st, 2009, 12:37 AM
It was great to See Steffi play so well like being in a time warp or something to 10 years ago & awesome seeing her nubby Andre & Kim too:)

mauresmofan
May 21st, 2009, 01:19 AM
Steffi is a legend. It was like watching Helen Lawson give Nicole Kidman an acting lesson!

Nicole has such wonderful facial expressions these days

Here's her first one "I'm Thinking"

http://style.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/nicolekidman.jpg

& her second one "I'm happy (I am smiling amn't I?)"

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2008/04/01-07/nicole-kidman-wtf.jpg

Sally Struthers
May 21st, 2009, 01:23 AM
Nicole has such wonderful facial expressions these days

Here's her first one "I'm Thinking"

http://style.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/nicolekidman.jpg

& her second one "I'm happy (I am smiling amn't I?)"

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2008/04/01-07/nicole-kidman-wtf.jpg

botox will do that to you :lol:

TennisViewer531
May 21st, 2009, 01:35 AM
Like to see more of Steffi... maybe a Champions Tour for women?

Anabelcroft
May 21st, 2009, 02:01 AM
With this kind of game,she would the "oldies" champion...

Anabelcroft
May 21st, 2009, 02:02 AM
Or the GOAT... ;)

renstar
May 21st, 2009, 07:15 AM
Much ado about an exhibition match :rolleyes: Kim was hitting right into Graf hitting zone to make it a match. Yes Graf still can play but someone like Radwanska or Hingis would make her look like a granny. Navratilova won an offical match when she was much older than 40. It's not a big deal. There is always inferior players to beat even for 40 year old players.

Hingis would make Graf look like a granny??!!:lol::lol::lol: bwhahahaha thats the biggest load of horse shit ive ever read in my life........ Hingis' play couldn't make the golden girls look like grannys, her fluff never was or will be a problem to someone like Steffi, or other power players like the Williams or Davenport who all whipped her fluffy arse

shoparound
Mar 11th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Scoreline was so close, you wonder what would happen if Steffi did come back

Anabelcroft
Mar 11th, 2011, 03:58 AM
We will never know...

Justin
Mar 11th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Scoreline was so close, you wonder what would happen if Steffi did come back

The score was pre-determined. Kim admitted that she was told what the score would be from the exo officials before they match started.

Steffi-fan
Mar 11th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Steffi lost to Kim Clijsters that day on purpose of encouraging Kim's comeback.

Steffi is the goddess of Wimbledon. 7 Wimbledon crowns in 9 years! wow!!

moby
Mar 11th, 2011, 06:09 AM
The score was pre-determined. Kim admitted that she was told what the score would be from the exo officials before they match started.I knew Steffi threw the match.

Lucemferre
Mar 11th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Steffi lost to Kim Clijsters that day on purpose of encouraging Kim's comeback.

Steffi is the goddess of Wimbledon. 7 Wimbledon crowns in 9 years! wow!!

:lol:Delusional fanatics are funny.

Anabelcroft
Mar 11th, 2011, 12:52 PM
:lol:Delusional fanatics are funny.

Don't see what is delusional about it!