PDA

View Full Version : Few things which I've noticed with the new Centre Court at Wimbledon....

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 17th, 2009, 04:01 PM
1) The ball bounce is still ridiculously high (even with a new surface). A slight topspin and the ball "hangs" in mid-air like... forever.

2) However, speed has increased DRAMATICALLY. Just like old times. Serve and volley is back in play!

3) While the roof is on, the humidity and temperature is similar with the outside. And the sounds of players hitting the balls.... crisp, with an echo.

Any thoughts?? :wavey::wavey:

s_j
May 17th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I loved the sound of the ball as it got hit. Bliss. And yeah, much faster too!

Langers
May 17th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Does this mean Federer will win? :o I couldn't stand him beating Nadal.

ZeroSOFInfinity
May 17th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Does this mean Federer will win? :o I couldn't stand him beating Nadal.

Well, he just beat Nadal in Madrid. ON CLAY. (Then again, Nadal was injured and there's THAT match against Djoko in the semis....)

LightWarrior
May 17th, 2009, 04:19 PM
1) The ball bounce is still ridiculously high (even with a new surface). A slight topspin and the ball "hangs" in mid-air like... forever.

2) However, speed has increased DRAMATICALLY. Just like old times. Serve and volley is back in play!

What do you mean, isn't that a contradiction ? How can the bounce be higher AND the surface faster at the same time ? Doesn't make sense to me (although I couldn't watch it). Did they change the grass again or is it just a misleading impression because of the roof ?

Tennisstar86
May 17th, 2009, 04:24 PM
It means Nadal wont make the final......

serenus_2k8
May 17th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I disagree about the higher bounce, but it deffo seems faster.

Langers
May 17th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Well, he just beat Nadal in Madrid. ON CLAY. (Then again, Nadal was injured and there's THAT match against Djoko in the semis....)
Yeah, if Nadal hadn't played that match yesterday he would've won. Everything was in Federer's favour, if he didn't win he might as well have retired.

new-york
May 17th, 2009, 05:06 PM
the faster, the better. :hearts:

Ferg
May 17th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Good for Marion so. Looking forward to it.

RenaSlam.
May 17th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Definitely faster. Didn't really notice a higher bounce, thought it was similar to last year's bounce.

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 17th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Faster , the better. Go WS and Fed :woohoo:

Mikey B
May 17th, 2009, 05:38 PM
maria vs venus is gona be SUPER noisy if the roof is closed!!!

wally1
May 17th, 2009, 05:49 PM

3) While the roof is on, the humidity and temperature is similar with the outside. And the sounds of players hitting the balls.... crisp, with an echo.

Any thoughts?? :wavey::wavey:Re the bounce, Steffi's slice stayed incredibly low. But if you hit with topspin the ball will bounce up - nothing new. I saw a replay of a Borg v Geralitus match from Wim 1977 the other day - when they were in baseline rallies the ball was sometimes bouncing shoulder high.

Andy.
May 17th, 2009, 09:54 PM
YES!!!!! A faster court is awesome for Feds and Maria

Dawson.
May 17th, 2009, 10:02 PM
High bounce and fast? How do you work that one out? :lol:
It definately looked faster, but the bounce is pretty much the same if not lower than last year :shrug:

~{X}~
May 17th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Bounce is the same, but the court didn't look that much faster than last yearat first glance. A bit yes, but its still considerably slower than it once was.

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 17th, 2009, 10:54 PM
You don't even notice that the roof if overhead unless the camera looks at it. Well done SW19

Boomguy
May 17th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Hmm Will Amelie have a chance again winning Wimbeldon again or Venus would clean it even more

spice_of_life
May 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
What does Federer & Nadal have to do with WTA? Go to MTF for that. :rolleyes:

Привет
May 17th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Getting excited again for Wimbledon like I do every year around this time! Especially now, because I know that I'm not going to be disappointed waking up the next day to watch the tennis taped overnight and find out I recorded 5 hours of rain delay.

TennisViewer531
May 18th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Wimbledon's going to be more exciting this year now that rain delays are solved. We won't be hearing losing tennis stars blaming the rain for breaking their momentum etc... :)

Direwolf
May 18th, 2009, 02:19 AM
maria vs venus is gona be SUPER noisy if the roof is closed!!!

Venus vs Maria
Venus vs Azarenak
Venus vs Serena

What does Federer & Nadal have to do with WTA? Go to MTF for that. :rolleyes:

ok

the roof is lovely
and the players played great !!!
Steffi should make a comeback at this years French Open...
she can go far!!