PDA

View Full Version : Madrid has the least audience in 2009 tour by far?

Lin Lin
May 17th, 2009, 01:28 PM
As such an important event,the audience in the final is really scarce:o
I noticed that Dubai also was mentioned previously because of less audience,but the Dubai finals really attracted more audience:)

why?:unsure:

Oops,I wrongly spelt some words,it's people,not eople,and Madrid:tape:,how can I modify a poll?:help:

Marilyn Monheaux
May 17th, 2009, 01:29 PM
They only care for the men. Yesterday's semis were packed!

Elisse
May 17th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Tickets were too expensive :help: (and especially for Spain who is having huge problems financially)

Lin Lin
May 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Tickets were too expensive :help: (and especially for Spain who is having huge problems financially)

How much about the ticket?:confused:

Lord Choc Ice
May 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM
The fourth option. The idea of Nadal/Federer in the finals is a wee bit more exciting than the idea of Dinara and Caroline.

laurie
May 17th, 2009, 01:43 PM
The fourth option. The idea of Nadal/Federer in the finals is a wee bit more exciting than the idea of Dinara and Caroline.

Even so, is it not the same ticket for both matches?

If that's the case then there is certainly a lack of respect for the female players.

Eurosport International is not showing the match live so I can't gauge the satdium - but the few matches I have seen ths week then the stadiums have been incredibly sparse for the women matches.

The ticket prices I heard are a lot more expensive than when I went to the WTA Tour championships in Madrid in 2007.

Lin Lin
May 17th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Even so, is it not the same ticket for both matches?

If that's the case then there is certainly a lack of respect for the female players.

Eurosport International is not showing the match live so I can't gauge the satdium - but the few matches I have seen ths week then the stadiums have been incredibly sparse for the women matches.

The ticket prices I heard are a lot more expensive than when I went to the WTA Tour championships in Madrid in 2007.

CCTV-Tennis is showing the match,and CCTV-5 is showing the Badminton final,the Madrid final audience is only 1/10 that of the Badminton from my observation:help:

pollison
May 17th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Lets face it...

Womens tennis isnt delivering.
True they may not be as many superstars like yesteryear BUT stars are created through tough matches and showing guts!

This year there has been few top quality matches which only helps mens ticket sales (which are already higher) and hurts womens tickets

Langers
May 17th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Until Sorana Cirstea is a household name, no one cares!

ElusiveChanteuse
May 17th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Lack of respect for the women's game yesterday.

First semi-final kicking off at 11 a.m. - the stadium empty. Both matches treated as a taster for the "main event". The men given the prime-time afternoon slot and night match. Better to have moved the women's semi-finals to the afternoon on Number One court.

Attendances have been sparse all week. It's a new tourney, give it time to bed-down with the locals.

The crowd would most probably choose to watch the men's match.:shrug:

Lennval
May 17th, 2009, 01:57 PM
other: Soraya's position in eurovision last night :o

Lin Lin
May 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM

First semi-final kicking off at 11 a.m. - the stadium empty. Both matches treated as a taster for the "main event". The men given the prime-time afternoon slot and night match. Better to have moved the women's semi-finals to the afternoon on Number One court.

Attendances have been sparse all week. It's a new tourney, give it time to bed-down with the locals.

If this is true,Madrid should be cancelled:fiery::fiery:

Hope Shanghai or some other Asian cities could replace Madrid and we really need some clay events in Asia:D:DPlease:sad:We have no clay event in the whole Asia now:o

Slutiana
May 17th, 2009, 02:00 PM

Well the mens SF was the main event. Did you not see it, it was INCREDIBLE.

And OP, expect a barrage of badreps with people saying "If yU dNt LyK it DeN dNt WaCh iT!1111:weirdo:" :(

laurie
May 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM
CCTV-Tennis is showing the match,and CCTV-5 is showing the Badminton final,the Madrid final audience is only 1/10 that of the Bdminton from my observation:help:

Well this is a subject I have been commenting on for some time here and on Sveta Fans forum. My honest opinion is that it serves them right. In my opinion there was no need and no point in having a huge event like this so close to the French Open. It really is like having Mimai a week before the US Open. Are Madrid trying to steal France's thunder? They talk about blue clay and this pretentious phrase of the "Magic Box". Do Madrid want to lobby to become a slam tournament in future? I just didn't get the idea of having this tournament in this particular slot.

So in the inagural event at least, it looks like people have voted with their feet. Perhaps Madrid are better off having the event separated like they do in Rome and Canada. Maybe when it comes to having the choice of having the best female players in the world and the bst male players in the world at the same tournament, the female event will suffer. Larry Scott pretty much said that Tennis was not very progressive in its thinking and that mens and womens Tennis should merge - maybe Larry is right in thinking Tennis is not progressive, or maybe Larry has got it wrong. In skiing, the mens events and womens events are separate and it seems to work well there.

Anyway the bottom line is still this - despite the new points system and some cosmetic changes to the calendar, there are still too many tournaments and quite frankly there is too much greed and too many organisers and directors wanting to cash in, the only reason we have this new Madrid event - plus Spain is among the hardest hit in the recession in Europe from what I understand, so they got the ticket pricing wrong too. They just assumed everyone would turn up to watch these matches in a shiny new complex.

Zojirushi
May 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM
They just need mens tennis I think, many of the mens matches were full.