PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Henin could have broken Chris Evert's 7 FO wins ?

LightWarrior
May 17th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I know it's very "coulda-woulda-shoulda", but she was mastering that surface when she was playing somehow. With the Wozniackis, Azarenkas coming up, I wonder.

Sam L
May 17th, 2009, 01:43 AM
No. My guess was that she was putting her body her tremendous strain to pull out those grand slams and that's why she quit because she couldn't keep it up. She needed another 4 titles to break the record. She was only half way through.

LightWarrior
May 17th, 2009, 01:52 AM
She needed another 4 titles to break the record. She was only half way through.

Another 3, not 4.

Volcana
May 17th, 2009, 02:27 AM
I know it's very "coulda-woulda-shoulda", but she was mastering that surface when she was playing somehow. With the Wozniackis, Azarenkas coming up, I wonder.I think when she quit answers your question. There's no question, looking at her leanness, and relative muscularity, that Henin worked hard in the off-season from 2003-2007. At some point, it stops being worth it. Steffi Graf won her final French Open, and then made the final in her last Wimbledon.

She played one more match. And retired up 2-1 in the third.

For a player Henin's age, Graf was the greatest player they ever saw. And she went out at the top of her game. They also saw Conchi play five full years past being any factor in the women's.

Henin wrung everything out of her body she could. Three more years of that, assuming she won RG three more times in a row? No way.

InsideOut.
May 17th, 2009, 03:08 AM
No. It's getting tiring hearing everyone say that she would have won RG in 2008 as well. The entire year, she was sucking from the moment she took to court against Kanepi in Sydney (who is just that much worse than her). The last match of her career was a third set beatdown at the hands of Safina on the clay of Berlin. Before choking, Safina had 2 match points for a bagel. Prior to that meeting, Safina had never won a set against her. Go figure. The last shot of Justine's career was a forehand that went out of the doubles alley. Summed out the whole match, her whole season, and if that had been the norm for her whole career, she would have gotten 1 Slam at most.

Sammm
May 17th, 2009, 03:14 AM
No. It's getting tiring hearing everyone say that she would have won RG in 2008 as well. The entire year, she was sucking from the moment she took to court against Kanepi in Sydney (who is just that much worse than her). The last match of her career was a third set beatdown at the hands of Safina on the clay of Berlin. Before choking, Safina had 2 match points for a bagel. Prior to that meeting, Safina had never won a set against her. Go figure. The last shot of Justine's career was a forehand that went out of the doubles alley. Summed out the whole match, her whole season, and if that had been the norm for her whole career, she would have gotten 1 Slam at most.

What's your point here, hon? :wavey:

Agreed that she wouldn't have won FO 08 - Ana deserved her title.

Answer: maybe she still can ;) There's time for a GOAT-like comeback though. Hope not though

Direwolf
May 17th, 2009, 03:16 AM
her body was too fragile
so i guess no!!
she couldnt keep up with the competition

especially with Dinara!!

InsideOut.
May 17th, 2009, 03:21 AM
What's your point here, hon? :wavey:

If she had played like that for her whole career, 1 Slam would have been pushing it. i.e. She was not playing Slam-worthy tennis in 2008. No way could she have won RG 2008.

Knowing WTF, someone would come in and say that players like Ana or Jelena would never beat her in the latter stages of RG. :rolleyes: I beg to differ. At RG 2008, nobody even came close to matching what Ana gave, tennis-wise. :drool: That she has never played at that level since is irrelevant. :sad: She was doing exactly what Safina was doing to Justine in her last match ever, except Ana was doing it better - looping the ball high above her opponent's shoulder, attacking with power and angles when given the chance and push her opponents on the defensive. At every slam someone catches fire at some point and I very much doubt, had Justine not retired, it would have been her. Not only was she mentally shaken by beatdowns at Sharapova and Serena's hands, she had been physically hampered from the start of the year by her knee. She needed cortisone injections just to keep on playing. So the answer is a definite no.

GracefulVenus
May 17th, 2009, 03:21 AM
Damn she won that many :eek:

AnomyBC
May 17th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Possible. Not likely. Seles could have also potentially challenged that record had she not been stabbed, but I don't think she would have broken it either.

wondoka
May 17th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I know it's very "coulda-woulda-shoulda", but she was mastering that surface when she was playing somehow. With the Wozniackis, Azarenkas coming up, I wonder.

Thanks for the quest,
My guess is NO! The surface has been really faster since Chris's time. I don't know if it is good or bad? It defiantly is on the young and fast players advantage. From my point of view, the young players are good. :)

Sam L
May 17th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Another 3, not 4.
Three more ties her with Chris - 7 each. Doesn't break it until she gets 8. No? Why do you think Navratilova obsessed over Wimbledon No. 9?

Temperenka
May 17th, 2009, 04:58 AM
No.

~{X}~
May 17th, 2009, 05:38 AM
I don't know if she would have beaten the record, but I definitely see her winning 2-3 more. I mean seriously, last year she sucked for most of the season because she just wasn't feeling tennis anymore, not because oh she just sucked. Her heart wasn't in it anymore.

Last year if she did play at RG, I would go as far to say that she would have won. I mean seriously, it is her favorite tournament and I don't think Dinara or Ana would of beaten her there, and everyone else sucked ass.

This year I would of said she probably would have won again, seriously who is the threat, Safina again and...? No one. Everyone else has has a lackluster clay season or is not gonna be a threat at a slam.

I believe she would of won 2-3 more definitely.

kiwifan
May 17th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Henin could have cured cancer if she just kept at it. :sad:

kittyking
May 17th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I'll say no, she simply wasn't as dominant after that incredible streak of tournament wins

madlove
May 17th, 2009, 09:12 AM
i doubt so... it's a whole new game these days. her body won't be able to handle it.

Adal
May 17th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Perhaps she could have, but who cares? She's retired anyway.

faboozadoo15
May 17th, 2009, 10:06 AM
She was winning RG in her sleep, so it's worth discussing.

Kart
May 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM
If the tour continued to offer no resistance, she probably could have reached seven wins.

Though I expect the women would eventually have gotten their acts together and one of them would have beaten her.

Henpova
May 17th, 2009, 11:01 AM
i doubt so... it's a whole new game these days. her body won't be able to handle it.

What are you smoking??? She was having knee problem, and not focused on tennis any more, so more then would of likly got back into shape play her best. Also she has only been gone one year and a year and a half a go she was to world # 1, so it stupid to say that she could not handle todays game. LOL

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 17th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Definately not.

H.A.M.
May 17th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Big fat NO, even with the hand and all. Anyways she's gone so it doesn't really matter.

Sam L
May 17th, 2009, 11:12 AM
She was winning RG in her sleep, so it's worth discussing.
I guess you didn't read why she retired. :o

Uranus
May 17th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Why not? She wasn't playing great in 2005/06 and still won RG. The competition isn't as tough as it is in any other slam. She sure had everything it takes to do it!

Blue-Eyed Soul
May 17th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Yes I think Justine could have broken Chris's record. She was comfortable with the surface and as we all saw she had the confidence to win the French Open more than once. There are/were players who are/were better on clay but they didn't possess or couldn't summon Justine's determination to go all the way at Roland Garros.

Lapaco
May 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Yes I think Justine could have broken Chris's record. She was comfortable with the surface and as we all saw she had the confidence to win the French Open more than once. There are/were players who are/were better on clay but they didn't possess or couldn't summon Justine's determination to go all the way at Roland Garros.

:lol:Who was better on clay than Henin?

Yes, she could have. She would have equaled it without 2001 choking and 2002 and 2004 illnesses too.

terjw
May 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Maybe she could have if we just ignore the mental side and the motivation factor of the players. As you say yourself it's "woulda, coulda, shoulda" and the mental side to both players is part of them. And that was Chris went years and years and didn't lose her hunger and didn't retire until she'd spent two whole years at the end knowing for certain she'd achieved all she could before retiring. Justine was hungry for a few years as well - but lost that hunger to go on year in year out the same extent as Chris - and that motivation to go on and on is part of who you are as a player just as much as your ability to play on clay or mental toughness is.

Also we might as well also say if we play this if game - what if Chris had played the FO all those years she missed because it wasn't deemed so important in those days.

AnnaK_4ever
May 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Not a valid question. Evert skipped three French Opens she would have won for sure (1976-1978).

Ju's backhand
May 17th, 2009, 12:13 PM
That last time she won it, she did it without dropping a set, she was winning RG with complete ease. My guess is that she would've equaled Evert's feat, don't know about breaking that record.

LightWarrior
May 17th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Not a valid question. Evert skipped three French Opens she would have won for sure (1976-1978).

Whether Chris wins 7 or would have won 10 RG titles doesn't matter. It's still the record to break. Maybe more relevant a question would be whether Nadal will break her record, lol.

miffedmax
May 17th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I don't think it was a question of physical, so much as mental stress. I could easily see her stuck on six until her body DID break down.

But if, if, if. If my beloved had Justine's serve OR her backhand my life wouldn't be a vast emotional desert, devoid of life and beauty, barren of joy, where only the dung beetles of bitterness thrive in the black darkness that is the void of my broken heart...

Rix643
May 17th, 2009, 04:00 PM
She will.....

:bolt:

LoveFifteen
May 17th, 2009, 04:31 PM
This "woulda, shoulda, coulda" is just stupid when you consider how Evert skipped the French Open three or four times during her peak to play World Team Tennis due to the fact that winning Slams was not the measure of greatness in her era. In Evert's era, the French and Australian were not measures of greatness.

If Evert had known from day one that her Slam tally would be the end-all-be-all of her career, bitch would have 10+ French Open crowns. Ice Maiden played to win!!! :hearts:

Gawd, I love Chrissie! :hearts:

kman
May 17th, 2009, 04:33 PM
No.

sweetpeas
May 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM
No!

kiwifan
May 17th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I guess you didn't read why she retired. :o

No kidding, I'm amazed at how many people on these boards live in never never land...

...these are some of the same people who used to celebrate Henin because she worked so hard to improve her physical approach to the game to the point that it made her ill...

...and now they all act like she could just roll out of bed and win a Slam...

...even her Coach would think you're all smoking something if you believe that. ;)

Henin was on a slippery slope downhill when she quit, she saw the writing on the wall and decided she wanted to leave near the top if not on top of the game (clearly Sharapova, Safina and Williams were playing better than her, to the point where they were actually kicking her butt, when she left the game)

@danieln1
May 18th, 2009, 02:47 AM
No, never... Chris was the best claycourt player ever, you can´t compare them!