Maria vs Garbin R1

And a possible R2 vs Wozniacki :o

VIKA?
May 16th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I thought Wozniacki wasn't going to play this:awww:

good luck Masha, win the tournament:inlove:

joćo.
Caro will probably withdraw and a LL will take her place or something, I think. :confused:
I mean, she's in the finals tomorrow and if Maria wins her 1st match she has to play against her in R2 and Roland Garros is too close. She's dumb if she plays there. She should rest and get ready for what really matters, the Grand Slams.

Ballbasher
Tough for Masha but possibly Wozniacki withdraws I have heard :shrug:

Good Luck:
Masha
Jelena
Beth
Tsveti
Dani

Sharpie4me
May 16th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Maria gets Wozniacki in round 2 :devil:

Andy.
May 16th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Not a great draw for Masha but a winnable first round at least.

Dodoboy.
May 16th, 2009, 01:02 PM
WOZNIACKI!!! :fiery:

PLease withdraw!!!!!!!

:fiery:

Good luck Maria and Anne! Possible win for Maria :yeah:

H.A.M.
May 16th, 2009, 01:03 PM
The draw is so weak. Maria's going to win this all, trust!

homogenius
May 16th, 2009, 01:04 PM
weak field

Andrew Laeddis
May 16th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Caro should withdraw but if she doesnt thats a good match for Maria to test the shoulder as she will have to hit a lot of balls.

AnnaK_4ever
May 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Sharapova has a great chance to make it to the final (assuming Wozniacki withdraws).

This is the worst tier II field in the tour history.

Dodoboy.
May 16th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Is this a Tier II????

Sharpie4me
May 16th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Even when Wozniacki withrdaws, there's still Bondarenko who has been playing well again.

feifei
May 16th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Zheng Jie has a very good position

Marilyn Monheaux
May 16th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Weak fiel indeed. I would fear Caro in the 2nd round, but I don't think she'll play anyway:shrug:
So yeah, Masha should be able to win a few rounds and go deep into the draw:bouce:

*edit* I just noticed that the Radwanskas could play in the 3rd round!! Couldn't they have fixed the draw a little better?:p

Kuti Kis&Monica
May 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Wweird, because she told me yesterday after her quarters that she wouldn't play Varsaw.

NewShoulderPlz.
Maria :scared:

Matt01
This is the worst tier II field in the tour history.

Is this a Tier II????

I thought is was well known by now that there are no Tier II tourneys anymore. :cool:

C. Drone
May 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM
premier my ass.

:help:

kman
May 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Oh, so Wozniacki is playing Warsaw (unless she withdraws). She isn't the type to withdraw so I kinda doubt that's going to happen. She just plays and plays and plays...

And a R2 meeting with Sharapova... interesting...

I did read something about Caro going back to Monaco after Madrid to prepare for FO so maybe a withdrawal is not so unlikely after all. It'd be a good decision actually. She needs to recharge before the big one.

mk27
May 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Is this a Tier II????
Yes, it is :tape:

This is the weakest Tier II (now Premier) event ever. :o

serenus_2k8
May 16th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Lol its painfully weak. Good luck Anne :D

Libertango
May 16th, 2009, 01:21 PM
On the homepage, who is the player between Jie and Maria on the top banner??

Anyway, I totally think Masha can win this. Or Jie! :D

joćo.
May 16th, 2009, 01:26 PM
On the homepage, who is the player between Jie and Maria on the top banner??

Anyway, I totally think Masha can win this. Or Jie! :D

Kateryna Bondarenko

Matt01
May 16th, 2009, 01:28 PM
This is the weakest Tier II (now Premier) event ever. :o

It is weak but I don't even think it is the worst ever. Stanford in the last few years was maybe even weaker. Antwerp last year was also very weak IIRC.

With Sharapova, Hantuchova, Radwanska and (still) Wozniacki (and Dokic) in the draw it is an event that still should be watchable.

mk27
May 16th, 2009, 01:34 PM
With Sharapova, Hantuchova, Radwanska and (still) Wozniacki (and Dokic) in the draw it is an event that still should be watchable.
Yes, but Hantuchova on clay isn't very good and Dokic lost against Andrea Petkovic in the semis of the 100k tournament in Bukarest.

And the winner of this tournament gets the same number of points as the winner of Stuttgart or Charleston :spit:

unknowndiamond
May 16th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I hope Maria can play Caro.She needs tough opponent to train for RG.But too bad she quit :fiery:,and exept Alona,all others in the top half are suck.Poor Maria,she gonna play 5 match before RG :sad:

Stadia
May 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM
premier my ass.

:lol:

Go Maria! I'm hoping for a Maria/Daniela (or Zheng) final :drool:

*Jean*
May 16th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Wozniacki playing again. How surprising!

Go Edina, Jelena, Bondak sisters, Klara ;)

Matt01
May 16th, 2009, 01:40 PM
And the winner of this tournament gets the same number of points as the winner of Stuttgart or Charleston :spit:

Yeah, that's ridiculous, and that's why I said in another thread that the tournament schedule should be changed. :p Having a premier event like Warsaw between the two mandatory tourneys RG and Madrid (and big tourney Rome directly before Madrid) is just crazy. :rolleyes:

Richie's
May 16th, 2009, 01:44 PM
It's so weak... Easy title for Caroline

H.A.M.
May 16th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Caro is likely to withdraw. I think herself didn't expect to take so much advantage of a so much depleted field because boy her draw in Madrid was PACKING.

monmonito
May 16th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Yes, but Hantuchova on clay isn't very good and Dokic lost against Andrea Petkovic in the semis of the 100k tournament in Bukarest.

But Dani is playing good in clay which is her weakest surface..

DragonFlame
May 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Wozniacki.. withdraw! It would be stupid if she didn't.

Anyway, this draw needs help. :help: It's pretty pathetic.

The only way to save this tournament:

sharapova-dokic semifinal please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hearts:

cn ireland
May 16th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Good luck to Dokic and Sharapova:bounce:!

Craig.
May 16th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Ffs Wozniacki, do us all a favor and just withdraw :o

frenchie
May 16th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Caro, do us a favor and beat $harapova

So Disrespectful
May 16th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I like Jelena's draw.

Emina.
May 16th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Go Mash!!! :rocker2:

Just Do It
May 16th, 2009, 03:08 PM
It is not that weak at all :shrug:

AnnaK_4ever
May 16th, 2009, 03:17 PM

Sure. Three top-20 players and Wozniacki as a top-seed = a great draw of a Premier event.

Just Do It
May 16th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Sure. Three top-20 players and Wozniacki as a top-seed = a great draw of a Premier event.

Dokic and Sharapova. Who might not be high ranked but are definitely more popular than many other top10 players.

InsideOut.
May 16th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Wozniak is 4th seed in a premier event. :tape:

Go Maria.

Kim's_fan_4ever
May 16th, 2009, 03:20 PM
This field isn't weak at all if you take into consideration simple fact that it's right before Roland Garros and that it follows Stuttgart-Rome-Madrid.

CloudAtlas
May 16th, 2009, 03:21 PM
If Caro is playing I hope Maria beats her. Otherwise the final will be on Saturday/Sunday and RG starts on Sunday.

ce
May 16th, 2009, 03:22 PM
ajmo Jelena :dance:
and Maria :p

$uricate
May 16th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Ranking isnt the only thing that should be taken into account. Dani, Maria and Jelena may not be ranked high but they are huge draws!

I think a tournament of this size would happily have no top 10 players and Sharapova instead, given how anonymous some are.

Great draw for Jelena too :drool:

AnnaK_4ever
May 16th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Dokic and Sharapova. Who might not be high ranked but are definitely more popular than many other top10 players.

And?

AnnaK_4ever
May 16th, 2009, 03:26 PM
This field isn't weak at all if you take into consideration simple fact that it's right before Roland Garros and that it follows Stuttgart-Rome-Madrid.

The winner will earn 480 pts. As many as Dementieva in Sydney, Mauresmo in Paris, Lisicki in Charleston, Kuznetsova in Stuttgart. Yes, the field is a joke.

-NAJ-
May 16th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Maria for title
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090516/capt.53d8f8e82e524ff6879401a0ffea7f5a.poland_tenni s_warsaw_open_xcs150.jpg
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090516/capt.ebe1eece2cfa45a496d411d4b4fa6cb2.poland_tenni s_warsaw_open_xcs151.jpg

Just Do It
And?

And they show draw bigger crowd than Kuznetsova, Safina and Petrova together.
I guess it is more important to get a publicity and a lot of crowd than to have currently high ranked players, no ?

Wojtek
There is interview with Caro in polish newspaper and she siad she would withdraw :confused:

joćo.
May 16th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I guess it is more important to get a publicity and a lot of crowd than to have top players, no ?

Yes, and the top players don't even win the first rounds these days on the big events so they're not that ~strong~. :rolleyes:

AnnaK_4ever
May 16th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I guess it is more important to get a publicity and a lot of crowd than to have currently high ranked players, no ?

And this makes the draw worth of 480 ranking points? Really?
Kournikova, Seles and Capriati should enter Strasbourg just for fun then. Given how popular they are Strasbourg's winner should be awarded 1500 points.

AAT
May 16th, 2009, 03:36 PM
do your job tax :devil:

Libertango
May 16th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Kateryna Bondarenko
Thanks.

Golovinjured.
May 16th, 2009, 03:38 PM
SUCH STRONG FIELD! :eek:

Jelena, please make the SF and beat Maria. That would be so epic. :drool:

$uricate
May 16th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Kournikova, Seles and Capriati should enter Strasbourg just for fun then. Given how popular they are Strasbourg's winner should be awarded 1500 points.

Dont give the WTA anymore ideas for restructure please :tape:

Vaidisova Ruled
May 16th, 2009, 04:07 PM
That would be awesome !

DokicToServe
May 16th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Yes, as if a strong field is defined by how many current top-20 players are in it. Please... I highly doubt that almost all of the top-20 players (with some exceptions) would have an easy time even on this field.

Anyway... Go Dokic, beat them all and win it.

InsideOut.
May 16th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Yes, as if a strong field is defined by how many current top-20 players are in it. Please... I highly doubt that almost all of the top-20 players (with some exceptions) would have an easy time even on this field.

Anyway... Go Dokic, beat them all and win it.

Why ISN'T it defined by how many top-20 players are in it? It's a premier event, mate. Not your local club tourney.

DokicToServe
May 16th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Because I prefer in-form players, or generally players with a big potential to upset over the so-called "big names". Now I'm not saying that Warsaw is indeed a strong field, I'm mainly arguing on the fact that you can't really have a "big field" on the WTA nowadays.

AnomyBC
May 16th, 2009, 04:33 PM
There's a possibility of a Sharapova vs. Dokic semifinal here.... It's probably not going to happen, but that would be so awesome :)

And I love Wozzy, but she should def withdraw and rest up for the French (if she hasn't withdrawn already.)

And yeah, the draw is weak in terms of rankings (especially if Wozzy withdraws), but I think having Sharapova and Dokic partially makes up for that.

madlove
May 16th, 2009, 05:21 PM
such a weak field. bah.

Inger67
May 16th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Wow Ula would be put in Aga's section! :(

Ryan
May 16th, 2009, 06:17 PM
GOOOOO ALEKS! :D Watch her lose to Goerges. :weirdo:

mk27
May 16th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Compared with Stuttgart, it is weak.
This field looks like an international event, but not like a premier event. :tape:

In The Zone
May 16th, 2009, 07:10 PM
People are forgetting this is a make-shift event. Who wants to travel across the continent of Europe the week before Roland Garros? Warsaw is only in this position because Berlin was cancelled.

Likewise, this shouldn't be much of a surprise. Top players do not usually play the week before Roland Garros.

Jorn
May 16th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Will Caroline get a big fine if she withdraws after the draw was done?
Will seeing she's IN mean she may change her mind and play here...may depends on how big the fine will be...It just weird she in the draw as Newspapers and danish websites whole this week has said that Madrid was her last tournament before RG.

Inger67
May 16th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Will seeing she's IN mean she may change her mind and play here...may depends on how big the fine will be...It just weird she in the draw as Newspapers and danish websites whole this week has said that Madrid was her last tournament before RG.

I don't think she'll get a fine if she withdraws? It's not a Premier Mandatory event? :shrug:

Ryan
May 16th, 2009, 08:18 PM
People are forgetting this is a make-shift event. Who wants to travel across the continent of Europe the week before Roland Garros? Warsaw is only in this position because Berlin was cancelled.

Likewise, this shouldn't be much of a surprise. Top players do not usually play the week before Roland Garros.

Agreed. Premier events, just by the way the Roadmap is built, will have more draws like this - not quite to this extreme, but like ITZ said this is the week before a Slam.

Expat
May 16th, 2009, 08:22 PM

There is no minimum guarantee for events a week prior to slams. so technically she wouldn't be breaking any tour commitments. not sure if she faces any fines just for not appearing though.

Havok
May 16th, 2009, 08:23 PM
It isn't THAT bad of a draw, though I really don't know why they have a premier event right before a GRAND SLAM :weirdo:.
Like mentioned before, considering it's following Stuttgart-Rome-Madrid and it being right before RG and a nice plane trip away there are still a decent amount of names participating in it.

Dokic FINALLY got a nice draw, I hope she takes advantage of it. Oh and I'm sick and tired of Wozniacki playing every damn week! I mean the girl is very consistent with results so she shouldn't have to play every single tournament to make up for some early round exits.:cuckoo:

Russianboy
May 16th, 2009, 08:28 PM
a player once told me that she couldnt retire in her dubs match, cuz she wouldnt been able to play the tourny NEXT week. it was ITF.
I dont know if its the same with WTA.

cuz in that case caro wouldnt been able to play french open, if she withdraws late.

Ellery
May 16th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Great draw for Jie :scared:

mckyle.
May 16th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Wozniak is 4th seed in a premier event. :tape:

Go Maria.

Wozniak is a Top 25 player.

Taniaaa
May 16th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Go Masha:D

fouc
May 16th, 2009, 10:45 PM
This is going to be ridiculous when both #1 and #2 seed withdraws... Rumor has it that Aga is not going to play there.

Blue-Eyed Soul
May 16th, 2009, 10:50 PM
This is going to be ridiculous when both #1 and #2 seed withdraws... Rumor has it that Aga is not going to play there.

I didn't know about Aga, only Caro. That's terrible for the fans especially.

Medina
May 16th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Nuria, kick daniela out first round please :kiss:

faboozadoo15
May 17th, 2009, 10:20 AM
premier my ass.

Why aren't players like Agnes here. She skipped out on SOOOOOO many easy points this clay season. Unbelievable.

faboozadoo15
May 17th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I didn't know about Aga, only Caro. That's terrible for the fans especially.

Does Woz get a lot of support in Warsaw, being ethnically Polish?
If these two withdraw, it will be a disaster unless Maria or Dokic win and make presser headlines.

Go Maria!

I rather hope Woz plays. Maria has beaten her on red clay before.

Mr.Kardashian
May 17th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Good Luck Jelena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Blue-Eyed Soul
May 17th, 2009, 11:07 AM
If these two withdraw, it will be a disaster unless Maria or Dokic win and make presser headlines.

Go Maria!

I rather hope Woz plays. Maria has beaten her on red clay before.

I would think the Polish have some fondness for Caro because of her heritage. If Caro and Aga withdraw and I think they will like you said we can only hope for the fans that both Masha and Jelena last until the weekend.

olivero
May 17th, 2009, 11:19 AM

I think Sharapova, Dokic and Hantuchova are still better known in Poland than Wozniacki. But it still sucks if both Caro and Agnieszka will withdraw.

jimbo mack
May 17th, 2009, 11:49 AM
wozniack, errani and mattek are seeded in a big tournament? that is shameful :o

hopefully the wta will see sense (unlikely) and only allow international events to be played the week before the french open

this tournament is a JOKE and an insult for spectators who should be watching top players compete in a tournament of this calibre. even brisbane had a stronger field than here :rolleyes:

and why arent players such as petrova, schynder, bartoli, cornet and cibulkova in the draw? this would have been a great opportunity for them to rack up some big points. a lot of these players compete in sydney, eastbourne and new haven so i'm surprised they havent entered here considering that they havent played THAT much recently

Dini.
May 17th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Good luck Masha :rocker2:

AnnaK_4ever
May 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Radwanska out. Now only two top-20 players left in the draw :rolls: