PDA

View Full Version : Madrid SF:Dinara Safina d. Patty Schynder 6-4 6-2

TheBoiledEgg
May 16th, 2009, 01:49 PM
well done Dinara :banana: :D :)
was never in doubt, just a matter of how many games she was gonna drop.

kman
May 16th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Solid win. I think Dinana will win the final tomorrow.

(although I'm rooting for Caro)

joăo.
May 16th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Congrats Dinara.
Patty missed a lot of good chances during the match though.

Sharpie4me
May 16th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Now win the final! :mad:

illusyve
Prospect of back-to-back tournaments? :hearts:
Congrats Dina!

tennismaster8820
That eurosport international commentator was so annoying! :o

Good luck Safina in the final!

Miss Amor
Amazing Dindin :worship:

Sean.
:bounce: Dinara, she started amazingly!
Gl in the final!

Libertango
May 16th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Yea. Watched it thinking; can Patty win a sets-worth of games? Never in doubt for Dina. I think she's gonna win RG.

Effy
good job :yeah: now final vs Caro good luck both of them

Patty :hug:

Kim's_fan_4ever
Congrats Dinara, she seemed to be solid today. Win the title tomorrow, that would be awesome :banana:

tea
Patty:hug: still you've made a great run at this tourney
just bring us exactly the same level of play at RG;)

Congrats to the world's No.1 of of course:p

ElusiveChanteuse
Winners/UE: Dinara 28/30; Patty 12/24
Dinara had 6 dfs.:o
But it's just enough to beat Patty.:banana:
Third straight final on clay this season.:worship:
Definitely one to watch for FO if everything's gone right.:p

The Daviator
May 16th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Since becoming #1 she has a F W F/W, very impressive from Dinara :yeah:

H.A.M.
May 16th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I love you Dinara :woohoo: She's so wonderful to watch on clay :inlove:

nashi
May 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM
New queen of clay

Dodoboy.
May 16th, 2009, 01:55 PM
She is doing so well!!!

Great stuff! I fear for tommorow's final :crying2:

olivero
getting the job done ;)
now take the title!

Keadz
It kind of sad how Patty doesn't show any signs of fight in some of her most important matches in recent years. Her two grand slam quarter final loses and this match being the most recent.

I am pissed off right now which is making me overlook her great week. But really, it was a great week and she far exceeded my expectations so I am really proud of her efforts. I hope she can keep this form going...don't lose early at Roland Garros pleeeaaassee...

Dinara seems like a great, funny girl. But her game has to be one of the ugliest attempts at playing tennis I have ever seen. Mix this with her awful grunt and she becomes almost un-watchable. She really made this match hard to watch...:o

Caro vs Safina...the final nobody wanted to see.

VIKA?
:tape:

anon57
:bounce:Way to go Dinara. Some patches of really good play from her though she also had periods where she produced a lot of errors. Good luck in the final tomorrow Dinara

Yasmine
May 16th, 2009, 01:56 PM
she better win the final now! :armed: :)

Marionated
May 16th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Pretty bad match. I'm very happy with Patty's week though. Win the title, Dinara.

KV
May 16th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Dina 3rd consecutive final :)

nevetssllim
May 16th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Never really expected Patty to win against someone with so much pace. A wonderful week for Patty though nonetheless.

Andrew Laeddis
May 16th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Dinara :woohoo:

anon57
May 16th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Since becoming #1 she has a F W F/W, very impressive from Dinara :yeah:I didn't actually verify but the ES commentator mentioned that in her last 20 tournaments, Dinara had 11 finals of which she won 4. She's still come up short in her biggest finals but 11 finals out of 20 tournaments is quite impressive:yeah:

kman
May 16th, 2009, 02:02 PM

Much better than Caro vs Schnyder. Caro didn't have any trouble with Schnyder last time and if Caro is going to win a premiere I'd love for it to be against the #1 player. Safina has shown great form on clay this year so I fear she'll prove too much for Caroline, but it'll be interesting nonetheless.

Andrew Laeddis
May 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
It kind of sad how Patty doesn't show any signs of fight in some of her most important matches in recent years. Her two grand slam quarter final loses and this match being the most recent.

I am pissed off right now which is making me overlook her great week. But really, it was a great week and she far exceeded my expectations so I am really proud of her efforts. I hope she can keep this form going...don't lose early at Roland Garros pleeeaaassee...

Dinara seems like a great, funny girl. But her game has to be one of the ugliest attempts at playing tennis I have ever seen. Mix this with her awful grunt and she becomes almost un-watchable. She really made this match hard to watch...:o

Dont presume to speak for everyone. This is the final I wanted to see.

H.A.M.
May 16th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Jankovic is likely to remain the worst number one EVER. It seems like Safina is distancing herself from her

unknowndiamond
May 16th, 2009, 02:13 PM
:eek:
Safina proved that after overcome challenge,she's just improved.The match with Venus gave her a lot confident,and she plays more solid now. She also didn't need coaching on court :bolt:
I bet she'll win RG now :bounce:

Andrew Laeddis
May 16th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Jankovic is likely to remain the worst number one EVER. It seems like Safina is distancing herself from her

She already has :shrug:

Ziggy Starduck
May 16th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Well done Dinara :D

monmonito
May 16th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Nice one Dinara!...
Now crush Caro in the finals!:drool:

disco_rage
May 16th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Well done Dinara. Hard luck Patty. Good tournament tho.

V-MAC
May 16th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Patty:( Still a nice week over all.

Mackep83
May 16th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Great match, safinas power game is very impressive

Shvedbarilescu
May 16th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Great tournament from Patty. Clearly no shame in losing to Dinara. :yeah:

As for Dinara, what can you say? At the start of the clay court season RG looked wide open. In three weeks Dinara has shown the world very emphatically that she is the best clay court player in the world. RG is no longer wide open. And Dinara's days of having of having to justify her number one ranking look like they are coming to an end. Not as most suspected only a month ago because she is going to lose that ranking but because it now looks very likely that Dinara is going to silence the critics at RG with the title.

Matt01
May 16th, 2009, 02:53 PM
As for Dinara, what can you say? At the start of the clay court season RG looked wide open. In three weeks Dinara has shown the world very emphatically that she is the best clay court player in the world. RG is no longer wide open. And Dinara's days of having of having to justify her number one ranking look like they are coming to an end. Not as most suspected only a month ago because she is going to lose that ranking but because it now looks very likely that Dinara is going to silence the critics at RG with the title.

No jinxing, please :scared:

goldenlox
May 16th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Majors are different than these tournaments. Patty helped Dinara several times this match with UE's or df's.
The FO is duifferent. Majors are won by players who hold serve under pressure.
That's the next step for Dinara

TheBoiledEgg
May 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Patty at least got more games then she did vs a 16 yr old Dinara on clay (1-6 1-6 back in 2002)

Shvedbarilescu
May 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM
No jinxing, please :scared:

Opps :ignore:

H.A.M.
May 16th, 2009, 03:05 PM

It's still not certain but I wouldn't mind that. If she doesn't face a WS from the SF on, I truly think the title is hers!:bounce:

FoxyliciousKhat
May 16th, 2009, 03:08 PM

While I agree with most of your point and thinks Dina is a favourite to win RG, I won't concede that RG is still not wide open. Dina has done well, gotten back to win matches from being down 3 straight finals with 2 possible wins and no-one else has looked as comfortable on clay except may Kuzzie. Still anybody remembers LenaD's run before the AO? And look what happened. I pray Dina has not over extended herself, trying to make a point that will backfire at RG.

But we won't know until then.

Foxy

homogenius
May 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Third final in a row (5 this year already)and no sign of added pressure with the n°1 status (quite the contrary actually).Impressive.It'll be interesting to see how long she'll be able to keep this intensity week in-week out and how she'll be playing in the next slams.

cn ireland
May 16th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Good win Dinara:yeah:!

gmak
May 16th, 2009, 03:41 PM
dinara :yeah: :D :rocker:
never in doubt ;)

win tomorrow!

ivan_swiss
May 16th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Patty played terrible :sad:

regroup fast!

Dinayer
May 16th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Dina :bowdown: :)
good luck in the final now :hearts:

Lord Choc Ice
May 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Dinara. :woohoo:

Hopefully tennis will win in the final. :)

*JR*
May 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM
For the 2nd straight week I can't bring myself to take my usual whack @ PP after she beat JJ handily the day after outlasting Nadia in that 2.5 hour marathon, inc. the comeback from 3-5 in the 3rd set tiebreaker. So let me just give a big :yeah: to Sister Safina (who's now 4-0 in their h2h, BTW). Patty Please, I so need a "fix" of dissing you again :o so screw up @ RG, let Hoffy kick somebody's water bottle or whatever, OK?

Beat
May 16th, 2009, 04:59 PM
dinara owns patty, plain and simple :shrug:

DS.Fan.
May 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Good jod Dina.Hopefully you're not tired out.Good Luck in the final baby!We're so proud of you!

Roookie
May 16th, 2009, 06:05 PM
JJ lost to this?. :spit:..she would have got double bagelled by Safina.

LindsayRulz
May 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Well done Dinara! :D

madlove
May 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM
such a great player on clay. win this and rolnad garros

sweetpeas
May 16th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Good looking!

zveeen
May 16th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Patty :hug:

LUVMIRZA
May 16th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Dinara's power was too much for Patty. Good win Safina:worship:. Please win the title tomorrow

Ciarán
May 16th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Dinara :bigclap:

Harju.
May 16th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Dina :inlove:

Sergius
May 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Congrats, Di!:bounce:
9 matches in a row:banana:

Kitten63
May 16th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Well done Dinara!
Good week Patty.

iPatty
May 17th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Safina is the ultimate Schnyder-destroyer. She owns everything in her game that exposes Patty's shortcomings.

She:
- is tall
- hits hard off both wings
- has a strong first serve
- has a reliable backhand that she can pull crosscourt off of high balls

Not much Patty can do against a player like Safina, actually. Still her best week in a long time so not much for me to complain about. I have wished Dinara to lose each match this week but now that she is in the final she might as well fight to win it.

H.A.M.
May 17th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Safina is the ultimate Schnyder-destroyer. She owns everything in her game that exposes Patty's shortcomings.

She:
- is tall
- hits hard off both wings
- has a strong first serve
- has a reliable backhand that she can pull crosscourt off of high balls

Not much Patty can do against a player like Safina, actually. Still her best week in a long time so not much for me to complain about. I have wished Dinara to lose each match this week but now that she is in the final she might as well fight to win it.

It lacks one element since Maria whom possesses all of these qualities is unable to spank Patty. You forgot to mention that Safina was a GREAT mover ;) She doesn't get enough credit for this IMO.

Corswandt
May 18th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Great performance from Safina. Of course that Schnyder played into her hands by feeding her with all those CC FH moonballs for her to crush, but it still took focus and determination to close out the match quick and easily as I suspect she not only wanted to do but needed to. This was one of the 3-4 tournaments in which Schnyder doesn't play in "can't be arsed" mode, as her run to the SF proves, and she did what she could - but Safina clearly was confident that she had what it takes to win handily.

When Safina is really going for her BH, it's a thing of beauty. And her serve has so much spin in it, it's simply deadly on clay against everyone save for the very best.

Correct tactics as usual - credit for Krajan, who is an interesting type. He seems to have a nerd's eye for detail, feeds Safina with tons of info, yet never fails to highlight the most relevant advice (usually in "you're doing X, and that's wrong; you must do Y instead" form); no useless motivational BS like you get from the standard issue hacks and tennis dads. Krajan is also achieving some real improvements in Safina's game - namely in the ROS department. Safina was until very recently perhaps the least aggressive returner among the big bashers, but her attitude has changed since the Martinez Sanchez match in Rome - with excellent results.