PDA

View Full Version : Venus could be #1 after RG

Aaron.
May 16th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Dinara has 9011 will lose 1400 pts right? for the FO Final last year which puts her at

Venus with a 3rd round will only lose 160? or something near

so 7452 - 160 = 7372

so if Venus reaches SF and Dinara and Serena lose before the QF Venus could be #1 I think :bounce:

Lin Lin
May 16th, 2009, 01:48 AM
She could,but she won't:shrug:

V-MAC
May 16th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Venus being #1 again would be amazing and awesome for the tour:sobbing: I am not not she will get it after RG but right after the US Open looks very likely.

Roookie
May 16th, 2009, 01:50 AM
See this http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=236674. If you add Safina's Madrid points up to the SF she leads Venus by 2014 points. So not...it can't happen.

Direwolf
May 16th, 2009, 02:02 AM
See this http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=236674. If you add Safina's Madrid points up to the SF she leads Venus by 2014 points. So not...it can't happen.

you then subtract 1400 from that i guess??

spartanfan
May 16th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Don't worry Venus William fans, Venus will find a way to fuck this up too.

duhcity
May 16th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Dinara has 9011 will lose 1400 pts right? for the FO Final last year which puts her at

so 7452 - 160 = 7372

so if Venus reaches SF and Dinara and Serena lose before the QF Venus could be #1 I think :bounce:

God I hope not. Venus becoming number 1 on clay could do what the FO did to Ana

I'd prefer her getting to number 2 because we all know that if she becomes number 1 and she doesnt win FO with it, there'll be some bitching. I like the idea of her winning Wimbledon for 3 in a row, and getting to number one because Serena (who becomes number 1 post french) doesn't reach the final again.

yep

Slutiana
May 16th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Venus being #1 again would be amazing and awesome for the tour:sobbing: I am not not she will get it after RG but right after the US Open looks very likely.
Agree, Safina has tonnes of points coming off after wimbledon, Serena at Wimbledon and the USO and all Venus has is Wimbledon Until the fall.

V&SWilliams Fan
May 16th, 2009, 02:29 AM

Whatever. Why are you even in this thread? Your obviously not a VW fan so whats the deal?
You just like seeking attention? :rolleyes:
Pathetic.

spartanfan
May 16th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Whatever. Why are you even in this thread? Your obviously not a VW fan so whats the deal?
You just like seeking attention? :rolleyes:
Pathetic.
Quite the opposite, my fan club is based on the two legends better known as Venus and Serena Willims. Smashed.

zxcVbnm88
May 16th, 2009, 02:43 AM
she'll need to win RG or at least reach the final and hope that Safina won't do well...

danieln1
May 16th, 2009, 04:10 AM
Roland Garros this year will be very interesting, with so many spots at stake... Let´s just hope Ana havea good tournament, defending her championship is too much to ask right now, in my opinion... I would be happy with a quarterfinal appearance!!

markhingis
May 16th, 2009, 06:04 AM
coulda shoulda woulda...

Shvedbarilescu
May 16th, 2009, 06:13 AM
It is mathematically possible. But to be honest I think Safina is in the process of locking up this number one ranking for a while. I do see Venus overtaking Serena though.

Viktymise
May 16th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Barring Venus playing very little after Wimbledon, she could definitely be number 1 after the USO.

azizy
May 16th, 2009, 08:50 AM
no, she can't

she doesnt have the capacity anymore

volta
May 16th, 2009, 08:51 AM
no, she can't

she doesnt have the capacity anymore

:unsure: :lol:

azizy
May 16th, 2009, 08:54 AM
:unsure: :lol:

why did u laughed?

volta
May 16th, 2009, 09:03 AM
why did u laughed?

because unless u mean that she doesn't have the capacity to reach #1 on clay (which is debatable but i can see why) than i don't know how the regaining YEC , Dubai and Wimbledon champion doesn't have the capacity to reach #1 :shrug: specially knowing that after Wimbledon she has lil points to defend

TomTennis
May 16th, 2009, 10:36 AM
If she is to become number 1 just after the FO I bet she won't want it to be given to her by Safina/Serena losing. I bet she would want to win it.

She only really has Wimbledon points to defend. Then if she plays 2/3 American hardcourt tournaments and progress' further than the quaters at the USO then she has a very very good shot at it. She'd beat Serena's 6 year stretch between number 1 rankings.

Matt01
May 16th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Aaron is back and with another troll thread :weirdo:

No, Venus will not be #1 after RG :lol:

And that would be horrible for the WTA tour as well.

madlove
May 16th, 2009, 10:55 AM
maybe later in the year.. not after roland garros

frenchie
May 16th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Venus chance to be number 1 is after RG

or after the USO but she has to do really well at Wimbledon (defend her title or at least reach the final). She can add points by playing 2 or 3 tournaments before the USO (where she traditionnally plays well) and reach the SF at least at the USO. That should be enough to be number 1

I personnally think she'll get it

Monica_Rules
May 16th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I think its most likely the case that whoever wins RG if its one of the top 4 will probably be the #1.

volta
May 16th, 2009, 12:06 PM

u would know ALOT about that :rolls:

Russianboy
May 16th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Agree, Safina has tonnes of points coming off after wimbledon, Serena at Wimbledon and the USO and all Venus has is Wimbledon Until the fall.

venus has to defend wimbledon first. cuz if she loses early, she will fall down the rankings.

Matt01
May 16th, 2009, 12:13 PM
u would know ALOT about that :rolls:

Not quite as much as annoying Aaron, though.

volta
May 16th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Not quite as much as annoying Aaron, though.

:spit::spit::spit:

the irony :rolls:

Matt01
May 16th, 2009, 12:20 PM
:spit::spit::spit:

the irony :rolls:

Do you have anything of substance or relevance to say in this thread?
No? Then STFU. :)

Vaidisova Ruled
May 16th, 2009, 12:25 PM
because unless u mean that she doesn't have the capacity to reach #1 on clay (which is debatable but i can see why) than i don't know how the regaining YEC , Dubai and Wimbledon champion doesn't have the capacity to reach #1 :shrug: specially knowing that after Wimbledon she has lil points to defend
I love Venus but she is not consistent enough. That's why some people doubt she can reach #1 again.
Yes , she is a top player and I'm sure she will win Wimbly again this year, but she also lost to Lisicki and Kleybanova in first round this year (and to Suarez in australia). Clay is not her best surface, but if she would have lost in QF, she would have won more points and get closer to #1

volta
May 16th, 2009, 12:40 PM
:spit:

make me :rolls:

alfonsojose
May 16th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Go Vaidisova :D

cn ireland
May 16th, 2009, 02:25 PM
That would be great, but I can't see it happening unfortunately!

olympus28
May 16th, 2009, 02:54 PM
She could,but she won't:shrug:

LOL yes:sad:

AnomyBC
May 16th, 2009, 04:09 PM
That may be mathematically possible, but it's also mathematically possible that she could be ranked as low as #10 after Wimbledon, so take your pick :)

gmokb
May 16th, 2009, 04:14 PM
This would be good although I really don't care (even with the WS, especially Serena, showing that they do)as long as they win the slams.

new-york
May 16th, 2009, 04:18 PM
That may be mathematically possible, but it's also mathematically possible that she could be ranked as low as #10 after Wimbledon, so take your pick :)

can we pick in between. :D

InsideOut.
May 16th, 2009, 04:21 PM

She can? :eek: Who goes in front of her?

V's a star
May 16th, 2009, 05:03 PM

u never have any substance or relevance so take sum of ur own advice :rolleyes:

Sammm
May 16th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Even if Venus wins RG Dinara only has 3r points to defend at Wimbledon, and should do better than that this year, so she would have a tough time holding on to the top spot.

Let's also be honest: who is going to beat Dinara at the FO? She's looking like the champ right now.

Uranium
May 16th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Even if Venus wins RG Dinara only has 3r points to defend at Wimbledon, and should do better than that this year, so she would have a tough time holding on to the top spot.

Let's also be honest: who is going to beat Dinara at the FO? She's looking like the champ right now.

Safina sucks on grass and I don't see her doing much better:o

VishaalMaria
May 16th, 2009, 05:18 PM

Serena Williams.

Matt01
May 16th, 2009, 05:47 PM
u never have any substance or relevance so take sum of ur own advice :rolleyes:

At least I don't have the name of my fave in my username unlike others :tape: :lol:

Direwolf
May 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM

No totally impossible
100%
not possible

Sammm
May 16th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Safina sucks on grass and I don't see her doing much better:o

I'm not trying to be a pessimist, I'm trying to be a realist :sad: I honestly expect Dinara to do better than 3rd round.

If Dinara's tired from FO, then you're right, she probably won't do much better. But if not players like Dementieva have proved that you don't have to be that great on grass to have good results on it.

Serena Williams.

Maybe :shrug:

V's a star
May 16th, 2009, 06:27 PM
At least I don't have the name of my fave in my username unlike others :tape: :lol:

Is that supposed to be a dis?? Cuz u are aware this is a tennis board rite? So why wouldnt people have there favs name in their username :help:

Again take ur own advice bud, make some sense

Knizzle
May 16th, 2009, 07:04 PM

Let's also be honest: who is going to beat Dinara at the FO? She's looking like the champ right now.Serena(if recovered), Venus or Kuznetsova all have equal chances to beat her. Let's not get crazy as if Dinara is on an invincible type of run here. I'm sure Venus is licking her chops for a SF vs. Safina at RG

Sammm
May 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Serena(if recovered), Venus or Kuznetsova all have equal chances to beat her. Let's not get crazy as if Dinara is on an invincible type of run here. I'm sure Venus is licking her chops for a SF vs. Safina at RG

I'm not saying she's invincible, but three consecutive finals is impressive. And she's got a lot of confidence on clay and refuses to be beaten on it.

I think Kuznetsova is better than Safina, but is such a headcase I don't see her beating Safina in a slam. If Venus gets as far as the semis then I would give her a good shot, but it's a big if. Vee is vulnerable in the early rounds, especially round three and the quarters :sad:
Serena -who knows?

In The Zone
May 16th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Serena(if recovered), Venus or Kuznetsova all have equal chances to beat her. Let's not get crazy as if Dinara is on an invincible type of run here. I'm sure Venus is licking her chops for a SF vs. Safina at RG

A bit of an exaggeration. I doubt Venus is licking her chops to play Safina. :lol: I am sure she'd rather play Kuznetsova or .. SHARAPOVA. :devil:

sammy01
May 16th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I'm not saying she's invincible, but three consecutive finals is impressive. And she's got a lot of confidence on clay and refuses to be beaten on it.

I think Kuznetsova is better than Safina, but is such a headcase I don't see her beating Safina in a slam. If Venus gets as far as the semis then I would give her a good shot, but it's a big if. Vee is vulnerable in the early rounds, especially round three and the quarters :sad:
Serena -who knows?

exactly, plus lets not foget safina is DOMINATING on clay, she has reached 5 finals of the last 5 red clay tournaments shes played, the only 2 players to beat her are kuzy and ivanovic who are very very good clay courters.

safina at this point is the huge favourite to win RG and if she does theres no way anyone is taking the #1 ranking from her anytime soon.

volta
May 16th, 2009, 07:29 PM
A bit of an exaggeration. I doubt Venus is licking her chops to play Safina. :lol: I am sure she'd rather play Kuznetsova or .. SHARAPOVA. :devil:

i'm actually alot more worried with Vee playing Kuzzy then Safina , everytime she goes against Kuzzy i go :scared: i never know what to expect :lol:

Sammm
May 16th, 2009, 07:31 PM
i'm actually alot more worried with Vee playing Kuzzy then Safina , everytime she goes against Kuzzy i go :scared: i never know what to expect :lol:

How come?

volta
May 16th, 2009, 07:37 PM
How come?

i think that Sveta's game troubles her alot more then Safina's , besides i have bad dubai and warsaw memories :sobbing:

AnomyBC
May 16th, 2009, 07:55 PM
She can? :eek: Who goes in front of her?

The people in front of her would be Safina, Serena, Jankovic, Dementieva, Zvonareva, Azarenka, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic and Wozniacki, but that would require the following things to happen:

1. Ivanovic would have to win either the French Open or Wimbledon, plus gain about 600 points somewhere else.
2. Wozniacki would have to win the other slam (or do something else worth at least 2000 points, like make the Final in one slam and then at least the Semis in the other).
3. Azarenka would have to gain about 1000 points somewhere (and defend the ones she already has). Making the Final at either slam would achieve this.
4. Kuznetsova would have to gain about 400 points somewhere (and defend the ones she already has).
5. Zvonareva would either have to play the French Open and defend her 4th round points there or make up for them somewhere less.
6. And Venus would have to lose in the first round of every tournament through Wimbledon.

So yeah, like the scenario the threadstarter is talking about, it's highly improbable, but possible :)

AnomyBC
May 16th, 2009, 08:01 PM
No totally impossible
100%
not possible

See my post above. I didn't calculate the exact numbers, but I'm 99% sure that it's possible. If not, someone do the math and prove me wrong :)

Inger67
May 16th, 2009, 08:24 PM

Horrible? Please a 7 time grand slam champion, 6 other GS finals, previous #1, and 41 career title winner would definitely be HORRIBLE for the WTA.. :rolleyes: Yeah much more horrible than a player with 10 career titles, NO GS titles and only 2 GS finals..?

Shvedbarilescu
May 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM
The people in front of her would be Safina, Serena, Jankovic, Dementieva, Zvonareva, Azarenka, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic and Wozniacki, but that would require the following things to happen:

1. Ivanovic would have to win either the French Open or Wimbledon, plus gain about 600 points somewhere else.
2. Wozniacki would have to win the other slam (or do something else worth at least 2000 points, like make the Final in one slam and then at least the Semis in the other).
3. Azarenka would have to gain about 1000 points somewhere (and defend the ones she already has). Making the Final at either slam would achieve this.
4. Kuznetsova would have to gain about 400 points somewhere (and defend the ones she already has).
5. Zvonareva would either have to play the French Open and defend her 4th round points there or make up for them somewhere less.
6. And Venus would have to lose in the first round of every tournament through Wimbledon.

So yeah, like the scenario the threadstarter is talking about, it's highly improbable, but possible :)

You aren't kidding. Seriously improbable. In fact compared to this, I'd say the odds of Venus getting to number one in the near future are pretty good. :lol:

starin
May 16th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I refuse to get my hopes up.
Venus is a notorious heartbreaker.

~Cherry*Blossom~
May 16th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I hope we get Safina vs. Lisicki first round (if Sabine is not seeded) :drool:

Final points dropped ;)

Tennisstar86
May 16th, 2009, 09:59 PM

Actually it'd be pretty hard for that to happen. even if she loses 1rst round she'd still be like number 6 after Wimbeldon.... The person saying if Venus wins and safina does well she cant be number 1 is also wrong. If venus wins she'll be number 1 regardless of whose on the other side of the net. Safina is not gaining any points at Roland Garros unless she wins. If Venus win RG she'll be at 9000+

terjw
May 16th, 2009, 10:43 PM

so 7452 - 160 = 7372

so you think 7452 - 160 = 7372 :lol::lol::tape:
Simple arithmetic not your strong point is it Aaron.

Of course after Dinara's win in the SF - she's now at 9501 not 9011. And she's favourite to win tomorrow which if she does would give her even more points. Then you knock off the right number of points for Venus cos you can't subtract.

AnomyBC
May 17th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Actually it'd be pretty hard for that to happen. even if she loses 1rst round she'd still be like number 6 after Wimbledon....

No, we don't know where she would be ranked because we don't know how many points the other players would have. I said she could be ranked as low as #10 before, but I think it's actually mathematically possible for her to be ranked as low as #11. This would require an even more wacky sequence of events than what I outlined before......

1. Petrova would have to win the French Open and defend her Quarterfinal points at Wimbledon.
2. Wozniacki would have to win Wimbledon.
3. Ivanovic would have to reach the Finals of both the French Open and Wimbledon.
4. Azarenka would have to reach the Semifinals of both the French Open and Wimbledon.
5. Kuznetsova would have to defend her points and pick up another 200 somewhere (not 400 like I said previously).
6. Zvonareva would have to either defend her 4th round points at the French Open or make up for them somewhere else.
7. Venus would have to lose in the first round of every tournament from now through Wimbledon.

So yeah, I think if my math is correct she could be ranked as low as #11 in theory. But again, it's obviously not very likely to happen :lol:

InsideOut.
May 17th, 2009, 03:51 AM
No, we don't know where she would be ranked because we don't know how many points the other players would have. I said she could be ranked as low as #10 before, but I think it's actually mathematically possible for her to be ranked as low as #11. This would require an even more wacky sequence of events than what I outlined before......

1. Petrova would have to win the French Open and defend her Quarterfinal points at Wimbledon.
3. Ivanovic would have to reach the Finals of both the French Open and Wimbledon.
4. Azarenka would have to reach the Semifinals of both the French Open and Wimbledon.
5. Kuznetsova would have to defend her points and pick up another 200 somewhere (not 400 like I said previously).
6. Zvonareva would have to either defend her 4th round points at the French Open or make up for them somewhere else.
7. Venus would have to lose in the first round of every tournament from now through Wimbledon.

So yeah, I think if my math is correct she could be ranked as low as #11 in theory. But again, it's obviously not very likely to happen :lol:

:spit: at those sequence of events.

Tennisstar86
May 17th, 2009, 03:54 AM

learn to read. I said pretty hard. Not impossible. Its much more likely they she could be #1 after Roland Garros.

AnomyBC
May 17th, 2009, 04:43 AM
learn to read. I said pretty hard. Not impossible. Its much more likely they she could be #1 after Roland Garros.

I'm not disagreeing with you saying it would be hard or unlikely. I was just disagreeing with you saying she'd be #6 if she lost in the first round of Wimbledon. As I'm trying to illustrate, it's mathematically possible for her to be ranked as low #11. And I'm just presenting these scenarios as a counterpoint to the threadstarter's #1 scenario :)

TennisViewer531
May 17th, 2009, 07:13 AM
She'll be back at the top of the rankings at the right time, at her own terms..

Knizzle
May 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM
A bit of an exaggeration. I doubt Venus is licking her chops to play Safina. :lol: I am sure she'd rather play Kuznetsova or .. SHARAPOVA. :devil:I completely disagree, I think she'll want to prove something next time they meet. Venus has always been a vengeful player. Kuznetsova will be more of a problem to Venus than Safina would.

youizahoe
May 19th, 2009, 08:04 PM
She won't win it.

H.A.M.
May 19th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I completely disagree, I think she'll want to prove something next time they meet. Venus has always been a vengeful player. Kuznetsova will be more of a problem to Venus than Safina would.

WORD. Deep inside I can feel Vee is sneaky and bad to death, she's always fronting like she's classy and all but NOPE Girrrl, you don't fool me. I saw you when you were younger and was acting ghetto and disrespectfully and all:lol:

Sveta is so unpredictable. I'd rather see Vee play Safsaf.

LightWarrior
May 19th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I wonder if Wimbledon officials will bump her to top seed this year if she's ranked 2 or 3. She would deserve it. On the other hand that could jinx her.

vwfan
May 19th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I wonder if Wimbledon officials will bump her to top seed this year if she's ranked 2 or 3. She would deserve it. On the other hand that could jinx her.there would be no incentive really if she's ranked in the top 4 to bump her any higher.

anyway, we all know it doesn't matter. Venus will be the one to beat at Wimbledon, whatever her seeding.

Bijoux0021
May 19th, 2009, 09:12 PM
there would be no incentive really if she's ranked in the top 4 to bump her any higher.

anyway, we all know it doesn't matter. Venus will be the one to beat at Wimbledon, whatever her seeding.
Agreed on both points.

mauresmofan
May 19th, 2009, 10:46 PM
there would be no incentive really if she's ranked in the top 4 to bump her any higher.

Exactly - everyone knows she is the best on grass and she's been dominant at Wimbledon. Would love to see a match between her and Mauresmo on the hallowed turf. Hasn't happened yet and it would be a great spectacle - imagine 2 women going to the net at every opportunity!

Matt01
May 20th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Exactly - everyone knows she is the best on grass and she's been dominant at Wimbledon. Would love to see a match between her and Mauresmo on the hallowed turf. Hasn't happened yet and it would be a great spectacle - imagine 2 women going to the net at every opportunity!

Huh? I don't know if you've ever seen her play but Venus is very far from "going to the net at every opportunity", which is no wonder since her volley technique is piss poor :lol:

VishaalMaria
May 20th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Huh? I don't know if you've ever seen her play but Venus is very far from "going to the net at every opportunity", which is no wonder since her volley technique is piss poor :lol:

Well at least she's still racking up Wimbledon titles, unlike that old lesbian hasbeen commentator with glasses.

Matt01
May 20th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Well at least she's still racking up Wimbledon titles, unlike that old lesbian hasbeen commentator with glasses.

At least "that old lesbian hasbeen commentator with glasses" has won almost twice as many Wimbledon titles as overrated Venus, who can only dream of those stats. :wavey:

VishaalMaria
May 20th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Venus is still playing. No one know's what can happen, least of all you.

As for Navratilova :wavey:

H.A.M.
May 20th, 2009, 11:01 AM
At least "that old lesbian hasbeen commentator with glasses" has won almost twice as many Wimbledon titles as overrated Venus, who can only dream of those stats. :wavey:

Can you please give me the lotto numbers. We'll do Fifty/Fifty if you want to:)

Matt01
May 20th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Can you please give me the lotto numbers. We'll do Fifty/Fifty if you want to:)

I don't know the lotto numbers, but I know the facts. I was only stating those in my previous post. So no Fifty/Fifty :sad:

Aaron.
May 20th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Matt :rolleyes:

V's a star
May 20th, 2009, 05:15 PM

overrated........ please explain urself matt i know thats something u very rarely do but maybe just this once :confused: Learn some respect for the queen ur bitter ass shud be bowin down :bowdown:

volta
May 20th, 2009, 05:15 PM
do not feed the trolls :sad:

CoolDude7
May 20th, 2009, 05:22 PM
do not feed the trolls :sad:

lol exactly

Ferg
May 20th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Sorry, but i find it funny people dismissing Safina as if shes been doing nothing on red clay. 5 straight finals on the stuff. People must be scared or something, dismissing her so easily and not seeing her as a threat. :o Wake. Up.

madmax
May 20th, 2009, 05:46 PM
haha, LOL at those crackheads thinking Venus can do squat on red dirt...she's useless on clay and her recent results proved that, Safin pretty much cemented her Nr.1 ranking and RG is hers to lose, not the other way arround

V's a star
May 20th, 2009, 06:13 PM
^^^^^what the hell are u guys bitchin about??????? this thread is about Venus reaching number 1 after RG which is possible not winning it, which is also possible. obviosly Safina is the favorite has anyone said other wise? not that i can see.. U sure were the ones smokin that bomb crack :weirdo:

mauresmofan
May 20th, 2009, 06:37 PM

Yes I have seen Venus play and she comes to the net a lot especially in the last 2 years. She's not going to come in on any old shot but she does venture forward on the right shot most of the time. Not many women on the tour can volley that well and Venus is well aware that her athletisism and wingspan make up for any short comings in her volleying technique. She hasn't won 5 Wimbledons by just being a 1 dimensional baseliner.

Matt01
May 20th, 2009, 06:45 PM
overrated........ please explain urself matt i know thats something u very rarely do but maybe just this once :confused:

What exactly do you not understand about the word "overrated"?

Yes, I think that Venus is very overrated by lots of people here, and her weak results in the last few years at the big tournaments outside of Wimbledon IMO confirm that (YEC last year being an exception).

Learn some respect for the queen ur bitter ass shud be bowin down :bowdown:

You're joking, right? :spit:

^^^^^what the hell are u guys bitchin about??????? this thread is about Venus reaching number 1 after RG which is possible not winning it, which is also possible. obviosly Safina is the favorite has anyone said other wise? not that i can see.. U sure were the ones smokin that bomb crack :weirdo:

Venus is almost 2600 points behind Safina, how exactly do you think Venus could reach #1 after RG if not by winning RG? By Safina losing in the first round? Otherwise I don't think it would be possible, because by reaching a final Venus would only make up 1400 of 2600 points.

V's a star
May 20th, 2009, 06:57 PM
What exactly do you not understand about the word "overrated"?

Yes, I think that Venus is very overrated by lots of people here, and her weak results in the last few years at the big tournaments outside of Wimbledon IMO confirm that (YEC last year being an exception).

You're joking, right? :spit:

Venus is almost 2600 points behind Safina, how exactly do you think Venus could reach #1 after RG if not by winning RG? By Safina losing in the first round? Otherwise I don't think it would be possible, because by reaching a final Venus would only make up 1400 of 2600 points.

So Venus is overated compared to who matt???? PLEASE EXPLAIN URSELF, saying shes overrated becuase shes the wimbledon champion and YEC champ makes no sense at all. And no im not joking Venus has done such good things for the tour,charity and for women period. that alone deserves respect which u are unwilling to give. And finally this thread was started weeks ago when it was possible for Venus to be numba 1 after RG :rolleyes:

Matt01
May 20th, 2009, 07:10 PM
So Venus is overated compared to who matt???? PLEASE EXPLAIN URSELF, saying shes overrated becuase shes the wimbledon champion and YEC champ makes no sense at all. And no im not joking Venus has done such good things for the tour,charity and for women period. that alone deserves respect which u are unwilling to give. And finally this thread was started weeks ago when it was possible for Venus to be numba 1 after RG :rolleyes:

Pathetic excuses.
Your previous post in this thread was definately not written several weeks ago. And my criticism of Venus has nothing to do with her charity work or her demands for equal prize money (I have respect for that). And no matter how often you mention that Venus is the Wimbledon Champ or how good she is on grass, fact is that because of her inconsistancy she already had some embarassing early losses there (2004, 2006) and besides Wimbledon is not the most important tournament anymore. It is played on an ancient surface. And on any other surface than grass she hasn't won a Slam in almost 8 years now :spit:

Matt01
May 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Yes I have seen Venus play and she comes to the net a lot especially in the last 2 years. She's not going to come in on any old shot but she does venture forward on the right shot most of the time. Not many women on the tour can volley that well and Venus is well aware that her athletisism and wingspan make up for any short comings in her volleying technique. She hasn't won 5 Wimbledons by just being a 1 dimensional baseliner.

As far as I remember she very seldomly came to the net at any of her 5 Wimbledon wins. That match against Davenport in 2005 for example was almost pure "baseline hitting" (to prevent the word "bashing", it still was a good match afterall...).

Denise4925
May 20th, 2009, 07:15 PM
That would be awesome. The only thing better than Serena being No. 1 for me, is Venus being No. 1. :)

Denise4925
May 20th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Physician heal thyself.

Denise4925
May 20th, 2009, 07:47 PM
As far as I remember she very seldomly came to the net at any of her 5 Wimbledon wins. That match against Davenport in 2005 for example was almost pure "baseline hitting" (to prevent the word "bashing", it still was a good match afterall...).

That was 2005. She's won Wimbledon twice since then. Catch any of those matches or was she so quick to the net that you missed it? :rolleyes: Also, she's made the finals of the US Open 4 times winning it twice. She made the finals of RG and the AO, and she made the semis of the US Open 3 times, including 2007. Won Wimbledon 5 times. She won YEC, Dubai, Acapulco this year made the semis of Miami, and the semis of Rome. So, what the F are you talking about overrated?

mauresmofan
May 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM

Oh come on now even Amélie had trouble getting to net against Lindsay hence she lost to her - Navratilova herself even said it is more difficult to get to net these days because of the more powerful returns and ground strokes. I don't know what you've been watching in the last few years of Venus' reign but she certainly tries to get to net as often as possible. Maybe keep an eye out for it in 09 eh!

V's a star
May 20th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Pathetic excuses.
Your previous post in this thread was definately not written several weeks ago. And my criticism of Venus has nothing to do with her charity work or her demands for equal prize money (I have respect for that). And no matter how often you mention that Venus is the Wimbledon Champ or how good she is on grass, fact is that because of her inconsistancy she already had some embarassing early losses there (2004, 2006) and besides Wimbledon is not the most important tournament anymore. It is played on an ancient surface. And on any other surface than grass she hasn't won a Slam in almost 8 years now :spit:

Excuses for what??? :lol: u need ur meds man. the thread was made during rome/madrid.
And again as always u wont answer simple questions because u know u look like a fool. Who are u comparing Venus to?? JJ Justine Safina Serena Ana? please tell us.
Venus has nothing to prove to anyone or i guess just u ;) She has the most hard court titles on tour, most clay titles i believe and grass well :worship: She has 41 titles only 11 women in history have more. 7 GS, 6GS finals, 3 golds(most of any tennis player), 7 GS doubles (all slams) only the 3rd women to defend Wimbledon and USO the following year. And oh ya shes already been #1 :p Say whatever u want cant argue with that.

Matt here has a classic case of whats called Venus Envy :drool: u shud buy the book

Helen Lawson
May 20th, 2009, 08:23 PM
At least she's holding a major and the YEC! She got gyped at her peak on weeks at no. 1, I wouldn't mind seeing her add some weeks.

AnDyDog621
May 20th, 2009, 08:43 PM

You are correct, Safina would have to lose in the 1st round.

Safina has 1400 points to defend so if she lost RG in the 1st round she would be at around 8400.

Venus has only 180 points to defend so if she lost RG in the 1st round she would be at around 7050. If Venus was RU at RG she would get an additional 1400 points, which will put her at around 8450.

So it is technically possible for Venus to be #1 if she was RU and Serena and Safina was not the winner.

(i think thats possible unless i miscalculated somewhere)

Matt01
May 20th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Mauresmofan, you seem to be one the few sane people besides me in this thread, so I'll reply serious to you. Maybe you're right and I just missed some of Venus' volley attempts in the past years. I just disagreed with your "come to the net at evry opportunity"-statement because Venus definately plays lots of tennis from the baseline.

That was 2005. She's won Wimbledon twice since then. Catch any of those matches or was she so quick to the net that you missed it? :rolleyes:

Yeah, that must have been it :lol:

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 20th, 2009, 09:44 PM
The woman with 'piss poor' volleying technique has 10 Doubles Grandslams and the highest win% of any active doubles player :eek:

sammy01
May 20th, 2009, 09:59 PM
The woman with 'piss poor' volleying technique has 10 Doubles Grandslams and the highest win% of any active doubles player :eek:

i dont remember suarez or pascual being very good at net, yet won shit loads of doubles slams.

i hate the assumption 'x' player has 'y' number of titles in doubles must be able to volley. the best volley player on tour (momo) has no grand slams in doubles and very few titles, does that mean she cant volley?

venus and serenas doubles grand slam success are mainly down to their huge serves and returns and this setting up some very easy volleys to be put away at net.

V's a star
May 20th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Mauresmofan, you seem to be one the few sane people besides me in this thread, so I'll reply serious to you. Maybe you're right and I just missed some of Venus' volley attempts in the past years. I just disagreed with your "come to the net at evry opportunity"-statement because Venus definately plays lots of tennis from the baseline.

Yeah, that must have been it :lol:

wow i love how u dont reply to me no more after i make u look like the trollish fool u r:hug:

TennisMindCamp
May 20th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Way to go Venus!

In The Zone
You are correct, Safina would have to lose in the 1st round.

Safina has 1400 points to defend so if she lost RG in the 1st round she would be at around 8400.

Venus has only 180 points to defend so if she lost RG in the 1st round she would be at around 7050. If Venus was RU at RG she would get an additional 1400 points, which will put her at around 8450.

So it is technically possible for Venus to be #1 if she was RU and Serena and Safina was not the winner.

(i think thats possible unless i miscalculated somewhere)

And if Venus wins Roland Garros? :p It'd be more likely but Safina's efforts in Rome and Madrid pretty much sealed her at #1 unless she flops big time.

As for Venus and the net, she has really backed off the net. In 2007, she stormed it like it was her job. In 2008, she kept it up but definitely played more from the baseline. In 2009, I don't want to say she has abandoned it but with her consistency, she has come to the net less and picked better times to come in. Matt01, you are probably thinking very short-term but Venus has come to net more often in this part of her career than the earlier parts.

In The Zone

You have got to be kidding me. She defeated Pierce and Sharapova alone in 2005 because of how she took over the net. In 2007, she cut off every ball Sharapova, Kuznetsova, and Ivanovic hit to her. She was able to hit Bartoli over the court without the use of the net, however. In 2008, she wasn't able to play anyone who tested her until Serena, where, if you watched (and for some reason, I think you didn't), Venus' volleying skills were so superior and so awesome on that day, it is probably why she won.

H.A.M.
May 20th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Wow! I lurked in this board for a minute and this Matt01 is even creepier in real :unsure: Is he dead serious. I'm like Oh My Gawwwwwwwwwwwwd!

Matt01
May 20th, 2009, 10:41 PM
wow i love how u dont reply to me no more after i make u look like the trollish fool u r:hug:

Up yours. :)

You have got to be kidding me. She defeated Pierce and Sharapova alone in 2005 because of how she took over the net. In 2007, she cut off every ball Sharapova, Kuznetsova, and Ivanovic hit to her. She was able to hit Bartoli over the court without the use of the net, however. In 2008, she wasn't able to play anyone who tested her until Serena, where, if you watched (and for some reason, I think you didn't), Venus' volleying skills were so superior and so awesome on that day, it is probably why she won.

I don't remember much of last years final (I usually tend to forget all WS Slam finals soon because of their usual poor quality :p) but I remember the Wimbledon finals from 2005 and 2007 and as I have said I remember Venus very seldomly coming to the net there. The Wimbledon coverage in Germany often sucked so I can't say a lot about Venus matches against Ivanovic or Kuznetsova, maybe you're right in those cases.

Matt01
May 20th, 2009, 10:59 PM
BTW, here are some stats for the people who still don't believe me :p

Let's take Wimbeldon 2008 as an example:

Number of Net approaches by Venus Star Ebony Williams:

Final: 18
Semifinal: 21
Quarterfinal: 15
4th round: 4
3rd round: 15
2nd round: 19
1st round: 7

Question: Are these stats from a player "who comes to the net at every possible opportunity"?

Answer: No.

Uranium
May 20th, 2009, 11:01 PM

Question: Are these stats from a player "who comes to the net at every possible opportunity"?

Get her name right, it's Venus Ebony Starr Williams:inlove:

Matt01
May 20th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Get her name right, it's Venus Ebony Starr Williams:inlove:

Uranium, have I told you already that you are one of my favorite Venus fans? :hearts:

Uranium
May 20th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Uranium, have I told you already that you are one of my favorite Venus fans? :hearts:

No, but I'm not surprised, I am just so loveable:angel:

mauresmofan
May 20th, 2009, 11:14 PM
It was at the net that the turning point in the match last year happened against Serena

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q5CEjB-gJE&feature=channel_page - it's at 5 mins 30 secs

Serena basically not only wanted to win the point and the match but wanted to stop her sister EVER having children with that shot and it woke Venus up "Oh we're playing like that eh".

spencercarlos
May 20th, 2009, 11:28 PM

Great stats, and those im sure are pretty similar to what Venus has done her whole carreer on grass.

She comes in by her groundstrokes, and basically her groundstrokes win the points for her, not her net play. IMO.

As for the thread what can i say, if Venus had not spoiled Charlesston and Madrid, we would be talking about a more suitable scenario to get to the top spot. Can´t believe how this chance is almost wasted.

CoolDude7
May 20th, 2009, 11:50 PM
*dead* loving how hopeless the trolls are. Nothing they say will take Venus' titles away

LightWarrior
May 21st, 2009, 12:08 AM

Depends on what you mean by "coming to the net at every opportunity". She's no Navratilova but she has become more and more successful at her net play. I remember against Safina in Rome she came a lot to the net and was almost 100% succesful.

spartanfan
May 21st, 2009, 12:54 AM
Great stats, and those im sure are pretty similar to what Venus has done her whole carreer on grass.

She comes in by her groundstrokes, and basically her groundstrokes win the points for her, not her net play. IMO.

As for the thread what can i say, if Venus had not spoiled Charlesston and Madrid, we would be talking about a more suitable scenario to get to the top spot. Can´t believe how this chance is almost wasted.
As I said earlier, Venus will some how find a way to fuck over her chance of becoming #1...again. But at least we have Wimbledon to look forward to.

safinafan2
May 21st, 2009, 01:11 AM
No way, Safina#1 will win RG!!!!!

TennisViewer531
May 21st, 2009, 01:36 AM
Would like to see either of Williams sisters winning the title.. if not, hope they'll win the doubles title!

safinafan2
May 21st, 2009, 02:36 AM
Just 2 minutes here and Uranium and Infinit2001(say hy first!) bad-repped me :haha:, just because I said that Safina will win RG, nice welcome, no? Good maners? I don't think so, but I have to say that I don't care venustards, You really fell powerfull givin bad-repps for anyone, no? So like Bart says: eat my shorts :haha:

safinafan2
May 21st, 2009, 02:52 AM
Infinity told me that I can't bad-rep him because I'm a junior member. Thanks for the tip venustard. You really need mental treatment!!!

Infiniti2001
May 21st, 2009, 03:56 AM
Infinity told me that I can't bad-rep him because I'm a junior member. Thanks for the tip venustard. You really need mental treatment!!!

Says someone who can't accept that he was banned from the forum :rolls: You won't be around much long, so have fun now :scratch: :lol:

spencercarlos
May 21st, 2009, 04:49 AM
It´s life seems to revolve around the deducting or adding reputation points. :lol: It does not surprise.

And yes he is probably the worst Venustards around. :kiss:

:wavey:

InsideOut.
May 21st, 2009, 08:15 AM
And yes he is probably the worst Venustards around. :kiss:

Hear, hear. :tape:

InsideOut.
May 21st, 2009, 12:21 PM
Hear, hear. :tape:

Matt01 bad-repped me for agreeing that Infiniti2001 is one of the worst Venustards around. :rolleyes:

Infiniti2001
May 21st, 2009, 12:34 PM
Matt01 bad-repped me for agreeing that Infiniti2001 is one of the worst Venustards around. :rolleyes:

You come off as a kid on a damn playground. Do you have to whine every time you are badrepped? :rolleyes: P.S. I wuv you too matty :hearts:

TennisViewer531
May 21st, 2009, 01:26 PM
You can't reverse a bad-rep?

Matt01
May 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM
:lol: I love this thread.

P.S. I wuv you too matty :hearts:

What does that mean? :scared:

Infiniti2001
May 21st, 2009, 04:00 PM
:lol: I love this thread.

What does that mean? :scared:

Of course you meant to goodrep the poster who deemed me the worst Venustard . You defended my honor instead :lol: :cool:

Inger67
May 21st, 2009, 04:31 PM
This is supposed to be a thread about Venus' prospects of being the new #1, not about ganging up on people and acting 1/2 your age...

serenus_2k8
May 21st, 2009, 04:34 PM
Venus wants to mark her territory in this family project of theirs. Count her out now, because come the 2nd week the haters will start their inevitable climbs back into their holes.

Matt01
May 21st, 2009, 04:57 PM
Venus wants to mark her territory in this family project of theirs. Count her out now, because come the 2nd week the haters will start their inevitable climbs back into their holes.

It is likely that Venus won't even make it that far :o

V-MAC
May 21st, 2009, 06:22 PM
We'll just see what happens. After Madrid, I just don't know what to expect from Vee at RG but I guess the unpredictability is what makes it all so exciting..:scared:

Denise4925
May 21st, 2009, 07:19 PM

:worship: Yeah, I don't get this whole idea that Venus has poor volleying skills. That couldn't be further from the truth. That's just Matt shooting from his trollish hip. :rolleyes:

serenus_2k8
May 21st, 2009, 07:23 PM
It is likely that Venus won't even make it that far :o

Well it wont be for want of trying ;)

And thats all I ask for really. Win or lose if she is healthy and giving it her all then so be it.

Denise4925
May 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM
Up yours. :)

I don't remember much of last years final (I usually tend to forget all WS Slam finals soon because of their usual poor quality :p) but I remember the Wimbledon finals from 2005 and 2007 and as I have said I remember Venus very seldomly coming to the net there. The Wimbledon coverage in Germany often sucked so I can't say a lot about Venus matches against Ivanovic or Kuznetsova, maybe you're right in those cases.

Is it possible for a person to be this big of an idiot? :lol:

No, you can't say a lot about Venus' matches, because you don't watch her. You've just admitted twice that you either don't watch for one reason or another or you forget, so you've discredited yourself from the debate. What a :weirdo: :lol:

Denise4925
May 21st, 2009, 07:31 PM

What's your source? Provide the link please.

espntennis
May 21st, 2009, 07:40 PM
What's your source? Provide the link please.

perhaps www.wimbledon.org then match stats is where he got his information?

Becool
May 21st, 2009, 08:37 PM

this infinity is a fucker, don't care about him..

Matt01
May 21st, 2009, 08:52 PM
perhaps www.wimbledon.org (http://www.wimbledon.org) then match stats is where he got his information?

Go the the official Wimebledon 2008 website, then to "draws", then to "Ladies Singles", and there you can find the stats about Venus' matches including her net appoaches.

BTW: Denise 0815, give it up already.

darrinbaker00
May 21st, 2009, 09:11 PM

When you look at those numbers by themselves, Matt, you're right. When you compare those numbers to most other players on tour, however, even you would have to admit that Venus Ebony Starr Williams is a net-rushin' fool. ;)

Also, Matt, I think you would agree that because of technological changes in today's equipment, especially the strings, the serve-and-volley game has, sadly, been rendered all but extinct. Unless you hit a letter-perfect first serve or approach shot, the ball will fly past you before you can say "split-step."

Denise4925
May 21st, 2009, 09:21 PM
Go the the official Wimebledon 2008 website, then to "draws", then to "Ladies Singles", and there you can find the stats about Venus' matches including her net appoaches.

BTW: Denise 0815, give it up already.

:lol: So, you're the one who needs to give it up. We're not back in the day of Navratilova where serve and volley was the play of the day. With the way tennis is played now, coming to net an average of 14 times per match over the course of a slam is quite a bit and winning an average of 60% of the points when she did come to net, makes her volley technique slightly better than piss poor.:rolleyes:

You're always going into WS threads to discredit and bash them, and never really coming up with anything substantive to sustain your allegations which makes you a troll.

azinna
May 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM
Depends on what you mean by "coming to the net at every opportunity". She's no Navratilova but she has become more and more successful at her net play. I remember against Safina in Rome she came a lot to the net and was almost 100% succesful.

Spot on here. There are very few top players on either tour who come to net at every opportunity (nowadays, they'd likely lose the big matches). There are a select few who make their net game a decisive factor. When Venus does, it's about more than the successful volleys and overheads and winning approach shots. It's also about the threat and pressure of her possibly coming in. It changes the nature of the baseline rallies; often keeps Venus patient and her opponents going for too much.

Matt01
May 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM
When you look at those numbers by themselves, Matt, you're right. When you compare those numbers to most other players on tour, however, even you would have to admit that Venus Ebony Starr Williams is a net-rushin' fool. ;)

Also, Matt, I think you would agree that because of technological changes in today's equipment, especially the strings, the serve-and-volley game has, sadly, been rendered all but extinct. Unless you hit a letter-perfect first serve or approach shot, the ball will fly past you before you can say "split-step."

Apart from your exaggeration in the last part, I can agree with all this. However, I was initially argueing with someone who was trying to tell me that Venus "comes to the net at every possible opportunity", and that is clearly not true as you can see from my stats ;)
I'm not arguing that Venus comes more often to the net than lots of other players. I simply don't think it is mainly her net approaches or volleying "skills" which brought her the 5 Wimbledon titles, because she mainly wisn her matches from the baseline. And I don't need to have watched every single Venus match at Wimbledon to be able to say that.

Denise4925
May 21st, 2009, 09:36 PM
Apart from your exaggeration in the last part, I can agree with all this. However, I was initially argueing with someone who was trying to tell me that Venus "comes to the net at every possible opportunity", and that is clearly not true as you can see from my stats ;)
I'm not arguing that Venus comes more often to the net than lots of other players. I simply don't think it is mainly her net approaches or volleying "skills" which brought her the 5 Wimbledon titles, because she mainly wisn her matches from the baseline. And I don't need to have watched every single Venus match at Wimbledon to be able to say that.

I wish there was a smiley for backpedaling. :lol:

H.A.M.
May 21st, 2009, 09:43 PM

Give it up. It seems like this hater's never heard of the word "relativity"

jrollaneres25
May 21st, 2009, 10:25 PM
haha, LOL at those crackheads thinking Venus can do squat on red dirt...she's useless on clay and her recent results proved that, Safin pretty much cemented her Nr.1 ranking and RG is hers to lose, not the other way arround

Have you seen Venus' stats on Clay?

:rolleyes:

jrollaneres25
May 21st, 2009, 10:37 PM
Pathetic excuses.

And has Safina won any Slams? Venus was in the Semi's of US Open 08' and the Quarters of French Open 06, so, she isn't that terrible in other Slams. oh yeah, the Quarters of the Aussie to. So Venus always gives herself a chance at least in the Final 8. But I see you have a personal chip on your shoulder that is named VENUS WILLIAMS. It's okay. It only makes her look that much better for you to put her down like you do.

Matt01
May 21st, 2009, 11:15 PM
Venus was in the Semi's of US Open 08'

:scratch:

darrinbaker00
May 22nd, 2009, 12:26 AM
Pathetic excuses.
The part I bolded is a matter of opinion, Matt. If you were to ask Venus, Navratilova, Pete Sampras or Billie Jean King (not to mention almost any tennis fan in Great Britain), they'd tell you that Wimbledon is the most important tournament in the world.

darrinbaker00
May 22nd, 2009, 12:33 AM
And has Safina won any Slams?
Not yet, no.
Venus was in the Semi's of US Open 08'
I admit I'm not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I could have sworn I saw Venus blow 10, count 'em, T-E-N set points while losing to her sister in the quarters.
So Venus always gives herself a chance at least in the Final 8.
In the past 12 months, Safina has been runner-up in two majors. Just sayin'.
But I see you have a personal chip on your shoulder that is named VENUS WILLIAMS. It's okay. It only makes her look that much better for you to put her down like you do.
How so?

spartanfan
May 22nd, 2009, 01:23 AM
:lol: So, you're the one who needs to give it up. We're not back in the day of Navratilova where serve and volley was the play of the day. With the way tennis is played now, coming to net an average of 14 times per match over the course of a slam is quite a bit and winning an average of 60% of the points when she did come to net, makes her volley technique slightly better than piss poor.:rolleyes:

You're always going into WS threads to discredit and bash them, and never really coming up with anything substantive to sustain your allegations which makes you a troll.
:worship:

Ciarán
May 22nd, 2009, 01:29 AM

:sobbing:

spartanfan
May 22nd, 2009, 01:51 AM
:sobbing:

Sometimes you just have to face reality head on.

spencercarlos
May 22nd, 2009, 02:05 AM
Of course you meant to goodrep the poster who deemed me the worst Venustard . You defended my honor instead :lol: :cool:
Yeah and yet again you badrepped me (like you do almost every week) hilarious, considering i wanted to give some back to you and i can´t because i need to spread more reputation. And its been ages since i last repped you :lol:

Infiniti2001
May 22nd, 2009, 02:56 AM
Yeah and yet again you badrepped me (like you do almost every week) hilarious, considering i wanted to give some back to you and i can´t because i need to spread more reputation. And its been ages since i last repped you :lol:

Blah!! You were so willing to jump on the troll poster's bandwagon. Guess what? Like clockwork, he's GONE :lol: