PDA

View Full Version : Safina:People just maliciously envy me

Lin Lin
May 16th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Safina hit back some criticism raised by journalist in Madid after her QF win:

"People are always critical (towards me).When Mauresmo was ranked #1,she also hadn't won any GS titles,but people seldom criticised her.

I don't know why people are always comenting on me and Jelena,telling us to win a GS title.

Actually,In my opinion,being #1 is not only about GS,but also your performance through the whole year.

Last year,I had nearly beaten all the top10 players,so I think I totally deserve to be #1.

Yes,I haven't won a GS title yet,but I have made it into 2 finals and 1 semifinal.

No one could reach such a result in last year.

I am now only thinking of how to play more competitive and stabler,that is all of what I should do.

As for French Open,I have to play match by match,but who knows the results.

Peopple's comments totally don't affect me.In fact,I think they maliciously speak out these words only because they envy me so much,because I am #1 at such a young age.

Like Jelena's year-ending #1 position last year,look at her whole year performane,she had made it into many finals including the US Open final as well as winning many events.

We need to look at an overall performance,as for GS title,we still have enough time to get it and that moment will surely come one day."

http://sports.sina.com.cn/t/2009-05-16/04324382164.shtml

bobbynorwich
May 16th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Was this from a post-match interview in Madrid? Please provide the link. Thanks.

Roookie
May 16th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I'm not sure that's a real interview. However Safina does not need to be defending her ranking as the results are proving she's the best in the world right now.

Lin Lin
May 16th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Link added in #1 post:)

Svetlana.
May 16th, 2009, 01:48 AM

:p thanks, but not really helpful

Junex
May 16th, 2009, 01:49 AM

:mad:

Lin Lin
May 16th, 2009, 01:53 AM
I think sina.com has a journalist in Madird,they delivered some very strong news,like Peng's bad luck of losing passports and credit cards.

I checked Madrid official website,but it's not so good with little information there:o

spartanfan
May 16th, 2009, 01:53 AM
OMG. Did Safina really say all this? She comes across as being a bit defensive and insecure as the number one player in the world. I think Safina has grown tired of having to defend the throne of "Worlds Best Player" when she hasn't won a grand slam or even a year end championship. I mean sure, Rome is an honorable title to hold, and she can hold all the titles she wants, but every tennis fan knows it really the grand slams that count. If its not a grand slame event, it's really just a warm up to one then. Winning a grand slam cements your tennis career in the history books, everyone else is a bit player; ordinary players destined to become a mere footnote in the biography of a book about some other player who actually won a grand slam title.

Lin Lin
May 16th, 2009, 01:55 AM
:mad:

sorry,what's your issue?:shrug:I checked the Madrid official website and didn't find any interview records and then I translated the chinese news,I don't now what do you mean by posting this smily.:rolleyes:

Uranium
May 16th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Yes,I haven't won a GS title yet,but I have made it into 2 finals and 1 semifinal.

Serena?

Serena won 2 slams and made a final, nice try though Dina:hug:

Lin Lin
May 16th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Okey,if anyone can find an english interview,please post here and warmly apreciated:shrug:

Hayato
May 16th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Good on her for defending herself. She deserves to be the current #1, for sure! Nobody else is as consistent as her at the moment--definitely not the William's sisters. She is very solid.

redsonja
May 16th, 2009, 02:07 AM
English:

http://www.cbssports.com/tennis/story/11750395

"Yes, I didn't win a Grand Slam but I was in two finals and in one semifinal in one year. Many people can't achieve that in a career," Safina said. "Overall, I think I'm where I should be for the consistency of my whole year."

The English-Chinese-English process didn't help the wording. Generally, it's nothing she hasn't said in the last 3 weeks anyway.

spartanfan
May 16th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Okey,if anyone can find an english interview,please post here and warmly apreciated:shrug:
It's ok Lin Lin, I believe you. Hugs from America:wavey:

Wiggly
May 16th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Two GS and a Final beats Two Final and a SF.

And 23 years old is not that young.
Venus, Serena, Ana, Maria, Justine and Kim were all youngers #1.

bobbynorwich
May 16th, 2009, 02:29 AM
No problem, Lin Lin. The Madrid website is the worst one ever (like so much else there?) with few interviews published, links that don't work, missing down scroll bar, confusing design, nearly invisible fonts, etc. The post-match interviews aren't even released to other websites --- have tried hard to find several of them to no avail. A magic box? No, a black hole.

http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_yuk.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);)

Direwolf
May 16th, 2009, 03:17 AM
I just think that shes replying to Serenas
article aswell

Ciarán
May 16th, 2009, 03:22 AM
:worship:

SeVen007
May 16th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Safina is talking about her being young and what not.
at 23, can someone list Serena's accomplishments ????

But, Serena should have left her alone and let her enjoy the #1 ranking. Time will tell if she deserved the #1 ranking. But she has been living up to the #1 ranking these past weeks.

égalité
May 16th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Dinara :worship:

In The Zone
May 16th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Amelie WAS criticized when she was #1. AND. She also didn't have anyone viable as a #1 contender (although the same could be said for Serena not being viable, 4 first round losses in her ranking. :o). With no clear distinct #1 or anyone who won more than one slam, Mauresmo winning Tier I's and being consistent was enough to hold #1 over until Lindsay solidified her results.

With Serena having two slams and a slam final, it does cast doubt on Safina's #1 ranking. However, like many have said, she should not feel obligated to defend herself. She has earned it. Look at her results! Rome, Tokyo, Montreal, Los Angeles, Olympics Silver Medal, RG Final, OZ Final, the list just goes on and on! Safina playing with this anger is scary -- ever since Serena opened her mouth, Safina has not lost a match.

Shvedbarilescu
May 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Amelie WAS criticized when she was #1. AND. She also didn't have anyone viable as a #1 contender (although the same could be said for Serena not being viable, 4 first round losses in her ranking. :o). With no clear distinct #1 or anyone who won more than one slam, Mauresmo winning Tier I's and being consistent was enough to hold #1 over until Lindsay solidified her results.

With Serena having two slams and a slam final, it does cast doubt on Safina's #1 ranking. However, like many have said, she should not feel obligated to defend herself. She has earned it. Look at her results! Rome, Tokyo, Montreal, Los Angeles, Olympics Silver Medal, RG Final, OZ Final, the list just goes on and on! Safina playing with this anger is scary -- ever since Serena opened her mouth, Safina has not lost a match.

Interesting point that. And conversely, Serena hasn't won a match. At the time Serena's quote certainly caused a lot of debate on this forum and a lot of opinions on both sides. But I suspect few would have thought a couple of sentences spoken at an interview by Serena could end up becoming turning point in Safina's and possibly even Serena's career. It will certainly be interesting to look back on that quote at the end of the year and see where both girls are standing.

tennnisfannn
May 16th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Interesting point that. And conversely, Serena hasn't won a match. At the time Serena's quote certainly caused a lot of debate on this forum and a lot of opinions on both sides. But I suspect few would have thought a couple of sentences spoken at an interview by Serena could end up becoming turning point in Safina's and possibly even Serena's career. It will certainly be interesting to look back on that quote at the end of the year and see where both girls are standing.
it still does not change that serena hold two grand slams till septemeber if she does not win the fo or wimby serena has triumphed over safina's best effort. Serena has had a few weeks of bad luck and safina a few weeks of good play, does not make too much difference in accomplishement in the last 52 weeks.

Shvedbarilescu
May 16th, 2009, 07:46 AM
it still does not change that serena hold two grand slams till septemeber if she does not win the fo or wimby serena has triumphed over safina's best effort. Serena has had a few weeks of bad luck and safina a few weeks of good play, does not make too much difference in accomplishement in the last 52 weeks.

Of course not. You are right. I think we can all see why Serena was in a position to say what she did. In terms of Grand Slam success Serena certainly was holding two Slam titles to Dinara's none.

My point is that it is going to be interesting to see what sort of results we see from here on in from both Serena and Dinara and does this famous quote from Serena prove to be a defining moment in Safina's career and perhaps even Serena's as well. Obviously it is to early to say such a thing yet but the results since this quote was made do suggest that at the very least it will be worth following how the rest of the year pans out for both players.

Taniaaa
May 16th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Yes sure:rolls:

lilimi
May 16th, 2009, 07:52 AM
i really doubt she could say "people just maliciously envy me" or hint her brother has a relationsip with a WTA player...
i don't know if it's problem of translation or a need to add gossip to the truth.

azizy
May 16th, 2009, 09:02 AM

how old are they when they were #1

darkangel5452
May 16th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Envy you? But u have nothing:lol:

C. Drone
May 16th, 2009, 09:16 AM

:weirdo:

VIKA?
May 16th, 2009, 09:19 AM
:haha:

MaBaker
:spit:

VIKA?
Envy you? But u have nothing:lol:

:worship:

pollison
May 16th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Im starting to like her more and more.

Its good she is defending herself, personally i dont think she is the best player but in the scheme of things she had a very good year and probably worthy of no1.

Also she has to be the favourite to win the FO this year which could only help her case

Kart
May 16th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Safina is right.

Since the red clay season began, she's been the best player.

Good on her for standing up to the critics.

TomTennis
May 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Serena?

Serena won 2 slams and made a final, nice try though Dina:hug:

When I read that line that was my first initial thought as well.

As far as I can remember, Mauresmo and Jelena were both critised as much as Safina was, however in 2004 when Mauresmo became number 1 in late sept/oct there wasnt a person who had won 2 out of the last 3 slams and made the final of another, same as Jelena. In this case I think Safina is getting a lot of critism due to Serena's grand slam performances at the AO, USO and Wimbledon.

A Grand Slam is seen as an essential entity in order to be defined as a tennis 'champion' in history. Its just the way it is.

дalex
May 16th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Don't worry Dina, JJ's got your back.

From Jelena's interview after loss to Patty:

Q: Safina was in here saying that as number ones, herself and yourself, you underappreciated because you have never won a Grand Slam. Do you agree with that, do you think a grand slam is necessary to be validated as number one?
A: This question is really tiring, because if it was then they should have made the rankings just by 4 Grand Slams and then who would win these Grand Slams and be number one. The ranking goes all year around and it’s from January until November if you’re playing in the championships. It’s all this time that counts during the whole year and not just Grand Slams it everything. You need to play consist basis and make good results and the ranking shows. I finished last year, number one in 2008, and I didn’t steal that ranking, it didn’t fall from the sky, I earned it. This moment, Safina, without winning a Grand Slam or winning it, it doesn’t matter; she is at this moment number one. That s all that matters and whatever everyone else is saying, well, everyone has their opinions and they can talk about whatever they want but not many people can say they are number one at something, that’s all.

Q: So much criticism, there are so many questions about you two. Why is this happening?
A: But at the same time there are many players that have won a Grand slam but have never even come close to being number one and they have wish to be, to one day even touch that position but they haven’t. And plus Safina and I are young girls, we are not like 30 years old and at the end of our careers and people are talking like we are 30 and we don’t have any more chances and it’s the last year we play and that’s all. We have many years to play, many more grand slams to come and I think it’s just a matter of time. So I don’t think these things need to be said. Then when we win the Grand Slam its o.k. but they will say you didn’t win this and that, you didn’t break a record. There is always something that people are going to talk about. For me, I am not thinking about that, I don’t have anything that I have to prove to anybody except I play for myself and try to be the best that I can be, that’s all.

madlove
May 16th, 2009, 10:52 AM
it must have been really frustrating for her to be judged this way by everyone but i don't think she needs to prove anything to anyone. her time will come. in fact, i think she'll win a gs before jankovic.

Londoner
May 16th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Agree 100%. If it didn't bother The Lump why bother saying it?

iPatty
May 16th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I really feel for both her and Jankovic. It must be really mentally taxing to have people tell you that you don't deserve the #1 ranking in each interview. I know keeping your mouth shut and letting your racquet do the talking is ideal, but I think there comes a point where you are pushed to say something. I just hope Dinara keeps her focus on her tennis and not on proving herself to other people, like Jankovic did by beefing up during the off-season.

Sapphisto
May 16th, 2009, 12:13 PM

Yeah, no kidding. Dinara should have a little chat with Auntie Momo. ;):p And chill out - she'll be fine.

When I read that line that was my first initial thought as well.

As far as I can remember, Mauresmo and Jelena were both critised as much as Safina was, however in 2004 when Mauresmo became number 1 in late sept/oct there wasnt a person who had won 2 out of the last 3 slams and made the final of another, same as Jelena. In this case I think Safina is getting a lot of critism due to Serena's grand slam performances at the AO, USO and Wimbledon.

A Grand Slam is seen as an essential entity in order to be defined as a tennis 'champion' in history. Its just the way it is.

Absolutely.

it must have been really frustrating for her to be judged this way by everyone but i don't think she needs to prove anything to anyone. her time will come. in fact, i think she'll win a gs before jankovic.

I think so, too. Dinara has the killer instinct. She'll do just fine.

Andy.
May 16th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Dont worry Dinara I wont envy you, there are much more likeable, talented and richer people to envy than you so thats one less person you have to worry about.

In all seriousness every number 1 who hasnt won a slam has got the same critisism she should take it so personal.

AlwaysGraf
May 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM
OMG. Did Safina really say all this? She comes across as being a bit defensive and insecure as the number one player in the world. I think Safina has grown tired of having to defend the throne of "Worlds Best Player" when she hasn't won a grand slam or even a year end championship. I mean sure, Rome is an honorable title to hold, and she can hold all the titles she wants, but every tennis fan knows it really the grand slams that count. If its not a grand slame event, it's really just a warm up to one then. Winning a grand slam cements your tennis career in the history books, everyone else is a bit player; ordinary players destined to become a mere footnote in the biography of a book about some other player who actually won a grand slam title.

If she actually said this, I think it shows how mature she is about the whole thing. She's not letting the whole thing affect her. She's just getting on with it. She's showing real committment and dedication to the sport, and I think she relishes the role of being number one. In fact, she's actually the kind of number one the sport needs. Let's be honest, Serena with all her trash talking doesn't care about tennis. I've always had the impression that they are there because they can be, not because they truly want to be. They (WS) were good at tennis and they realised it could make them a lot of money, and so did their father. Not like other champions who were born to play tennis.
I hope Safina gets her slam. She deserves it

Dave.
May 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Nicely said Dinara. I'm almost encouraged to root for her.

I think Safina has grown tired of having to defend the throne of "Worlds Best Player" when she hasn't won a grand slam or even a year end championship. I mean sure, Rome is an honorable title to hold, and she can hold all the titles she wants, but every tennis fan knows it really the grand slams that count.

Speak for yourself. Most of the tournaments (including all of these mandatories) go towards the rankings therefore they do "count".

Craig.
May 16th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Nicely said Dinara. I'm almost encouraged to root for her.

Speak for yourself. Most of the tournaments (including all of these mandatories) go towards the rankings therefore they do "count".

Don't do this :rolleyes:

olympus28
May 16th, 2009, 02:50 PM
She is unbearable!! what a pride she has

VishaalMaria
May 16th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Dinara needs to show that she can fight and win Roland Garros. That's the real test.

RG will be telling especially with a Dinara v Serena match up!

bridgepea
May 16th, 2009, 03:23 PM
If I was Dinara and I had performed like that in 2 Grand Slam finals as well as a Grand Slam semi I would try my best not to think about it, much more talk about it. She was embarrased in her 2 Grand Slam finals, winning a total of 7 games in both finals, and won won 5 games in her Grand Slam semi. What Dinara needs to learn how to do is to actually try and win a match without calling her coach every 5 minutes to tell her where to serve the ball and where to return. And for the record Mauresmo and Clijsters took a lot of criticism for reaching No. 1 without winning a major. Everytime they were faced with getting the big one, they choked. To this day, Amelie is still choking and Clijsters was so damn scared of playing she retired. Rumour has it that she is coming back. Let us see what she brings to the Tour. I am tired of these players who think that winning a Tour title is the same as winning a major. It is not. I am also tired of fans praising mediocrity. Dinara had 3 chances to become No.1 in the past year. The only way she could get it was backing into it like Jelena. Now that she has it and her main competitor is out injured, she is now playing like she really belongs there. She needs to get over herself and fast.

JazzyJazz
May 16th, 2009, 03:29 PM
First of all Amelie was not the first woman to be ranked #1 without a grand slam title Kim Clijsters was almost a year before Amelie in 2003. Amelie, & Kim were also criticized about being #1 without a slam title. But, they were what commentators, & writers called "the best players never to have won a grand slam."

Secondly, as to Dinara saying a grand slam title isn't everything let me introduce her to a few players who will say differently. First, there is Gabriela Sabatini who only won the US Open for her only slam title. Then there is Conchita Martinez, whose only grand slam title was Wimbledon. And who could forget Jana Novotna, who everyone thought would never win a slam finally did at Wimbledon. All of these ladies are consider great players but, a bit a chokers until they won their slams. Ask them if they would trade their slams for the #1 ranking. I highly doubt it.

Lastly, I think that the criticism of Dinara, & Jelena has a valid point. I don't see them winning a slam at all. With Kim, & Amelie you saw the talent & knew one day they would get out of their own way & win a slam. But, with Jelena, & Dinara I don't see that happening. Jelena (Sorry, JJ fans if your honest you know this is true.) doesn't have any real weapons to win a slam with. Even Kim, had her defensive skills, & her forehand. Amelie had her Serve, & all court game. Jelena only has her movement great though it is it's not enough to win a grand slam championship. Dinara may have weapons but, I don't see her having the temperament to win. She seems to me to be unable to put her best into winning a major, & with an attitude that slams aren't important she never will win a major. Until her attitude changes she won't win & as long as she's #1 she will forever be asked about it not being legitimate that maybe someone else is more deserving same with Jelena as well.

ce
May 16th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Safina :hug:

AnnaK_4ever
May 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Slams aren't everything, says Safina

Paul Logothetis
May 16, 2009 - 12:09PM

Dinara Safina may just be the most under appreciated No.1 in women's tennis.

Why is that?

"I guess they're jealous that I'm so young and No.1.," Safina said at the Madrid Open on Friday.

"I don't know. I really don't know."

Only Evonne Goolagong Cawley has spent less time atop the rankings than Safina, who will make it five weeks as the best women's player following the tournament in the Spanish capital.

But Goolagong Cawley won seven Grand Slam titles with four of those coming before the introduction of the rankings system in 1975.

Safina, who will be top seed at this month's French Open, doesn't believe the majors should be the only benchmark.

"To become No.1 it's not just winning the Grand Slams, it's how you compete the whole year," the 23-year-old Russian said. "I won last year four tournaments ... I beat almost all the top-10 players so I think I deserve that spot."

Jelena Jankovic, another who rose to No.1 without a Grand Slam win, endorsed that overall thinking.

"She's in this moment No.1 and that's all that matters," Jankovic said. "What everybody else is saying it doesn't matter, everyone has their opinions and everyone can talk all they want but not everyone can say they're No.1.

"I finished last year No.1 and I didn't steal that, it didn't fall from the sky - I earned it."

Serena Williams, who beat Safina in the Australian Open final, said this month that she was the true No.1.

"Yes, I didn't win a Grand Slam but I was in two finals and in one semifinal in one year. Many people can't achieve that in a career," Safina said.

"Overall, I think I'm where I should be for the consistency of my whole year."

She has reached 11 finals in her last 19 tournaments, and won her 10th career title last weekend in Rome.

Only a handful of journalists bothered to attend Safina's press conference after a quarterfinals victory over Alona Bondarenko in front of half-empty bleachers in the "Magic Box" tennis center's main stadium.

Although the women's game has names like Venus and Serena Williams and Ana Ivanovic, it has lost major stars like Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters to retirement, while Maria Sharapova has been out for over a year to a shoulder injury.

The women's tour hasn't big name rivalries like Rafael Nadal-Roger Federer and consistent performances from its top-five like the men, where third-ranked Andy Murray and No.4 Novak Djokovic have lived for some time.

At Madrid, No.9 Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark was the only other seeded player to reach the semifinals.

Since Henin's exit last year, five different players have been No.1.

Goolagong Cawley had to contend with Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova during her playing days.

"(When) Amelie Mauresmo became No.1 she hadn't won a Grand Slam and nobody told her anything," Safina said. "I don't know why people tell me and Jankovic that we should have won a Grand Slam.

"It's overall how you compete. I still have time to win a Grand Slam. I think that will come."

Jankovic offered a more blunt reply.

"I don't have anything to prove to anybody," the Serbian player.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/slams-arent-everything-says-safina-20090516-b6hy.html

DS.Fan.
May 16th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Haha!Dina is 8 years old inside.Come on girl,you're the best for me.

vejh
May 16th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Wow. I agree, consistency is the key. If the GS winners cannot be consistent (or better yet, don't care to be consistent) then they don't deserve it.

And the WTA officials should take extra care to promote and congratulate the top-RANKED players, because there is a non-care attitude that is creeping in among the GS winners that can essentially ruin (even more) the quality of the WTA.

Beat
May 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM
"People are always critical (towards me).When Mauresmo was ranked #1,she also hadn't won any GS titles,but people seldom criticised her.

she obviously never visited tennisforum.com back then ... ;)

terjw
May 16th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Of course not. You are right. I think we can all see why Serena was in a position to say what she did. In terms of Grand Slam success Serena certainly was holding two Slam titles to Dinara's none.

My point is that it is going to be interesting to see what sort of results we see from here on in from both Serena and Dinara and does this famous quote from Serena prove to be a defining moment in Safina's career and perhaps even Serena's as well. Obviously it is to early to say such a thing yet but the results since this quote was made do suggest that at the very least it will be worth following how the rest of the year pans out for both players.

Yeah - good for Dinara. She's certainly fired up and is the only top player playing like a #1 right now in the last two tournaments. When she first got to #1 - she hadn't had much of a year and was far from being the best player at the time. But she won Rome and is at least finalist (and favourite to win) in Madrid.

Incidentally ppl still confuse what #1 actually means. It's nothing to do with accomplishments (apart from the last year), it's not being best player in the world at your peak, it's not necessarily being the best player in the world right now, it's not being favourite for the next slam (although Dinara right now is the favourite for RG), and it's not something which has no meaning apart from to do seedings. It means she was the best player overall over the whole of the preceding 12 months as she explained. And since it's something very few players will manage to achieve - she's every right to be proud but annoyed when ppl try to belittle it.

She's wrong - mind you - about Amelie escaping all this when she got to #1 without a slam.

AnnaK_4ever
May 16th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Safina is delusional about being "young". Granted, she's not old but over the last 40 years only 3 players -- Capriati, Mauresmo and Novotna -- won their first slam title after turning 23. Not including the winners of the fake slams of 1970s though.

gmokb
May 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM
:lol::lol:I read this early on ESPN and have been laughing ever since. I guess if the aim of tennis is to hold #1 position and not win slams, then she is right, people (and we all know she is throwing her owrds at Princess Serena for speaking the truth)are envious of her:lol: She and Jelena can continue to delude themselves that they are true #1 but we know dfferent. No.1:lol::lol::lol: what a joke:lol:

vejh
May 16th, 2009, 04:28 PM
She is the true #1 right now. And that is FACT. And people, including Serena Williams, need to show some respect. Because if she could be as consistent in the previous 12 mths, then she would have been #1. The FACT is she couldn't, so she isn't.

gmokb
May 16th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I am sure when she does something to desrve #1, like winning majors and not just reaching far in the draw, she will get the respect she is yearning for. She should be ashamed to being going around tooting horn as #1

vejh
May 16th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Gosh, it's folks like you who don't get it. Winning majors is not the signal for being RANKED #1. It is consistently performing well for the past 12mths. And she has done so; she's been more consistent than anyone else on tour in the past 12mths. She deserves that spot; she worked for that spot; she performed for that spot. And the FACT is no other player can say that about themselves over the past year.

I want to think it is a lack of understanding that causes some to belittle her feat. But think to how some of the supposedly best players can't show out for 12 mths and try to understand how difficult it is to do. In a sense it is easier to have a great 2 weeks (win a GS) then to perform well all year round.

But then there are those who will choose to remain ignorant and disrespectful. To each his own.

Donny
May 16th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Gosh, it's folks like you who don't get it. Winning majors is not the signal for being RANKED #1. It is consistently performing well for the past 12mths. And she has done so; she's been more consistent than anyone else on tour in the past 12mths. She deserves that spot; she worked for that spot; she performed for that spot. And the FACT is no other player can say that about themselves over the past year.

I want to think it is a lack of understanding that causes some to belittle her feat. But think to how some of the supposedly best players can't show out for 12 mths and try to understand how difficult it is to do. In a sense it is easier to have a great 2 weeks (win a GS) then to perform well all year round.

But then there are those who will choose to remain ignorant and disrespectful. To each his own.

Not under the CURRENT system it isn't. The WTA could just as easily change it for next season. They want to reward quantity though; after all, quantity is what makes them money, not quality.

vejh
May 16th, 2009, 05:08 PM
There is no reason to change it. Why, to suit others who only respect GS? The GS are already heavily weighted points wise. GS, as we have seen, is not the definition of quality on the WTA. The ranking system as it is rewards the quality of the quantity.lol.

Maybe they should add 6 more GS to the calendar :) Right now I see that as the best option for the tour which only 'respects' the GS.

sweetpeas
May 16th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Leave my girl alone!Love you Safina!Win F.O. you can do it!:wavey::wavey::bounce::kiss:

Matt01
May 16th, 2009, 06:09 PM
If I was Dinara and I had performed like that in 2 Grand Slam finals as well as a Grand Slam semi I would try my best not to think about it, much more talk about it. She was embarrased in her 2 Grand Slam finals, winning a total of 7 games in both finals, and won won 5 games in her Grand Slam semi. What Dinara needs to learn how to do is to actually try and win a match without calling her coach every 5 minutes to tell her where to serve the ball and where to return. And for the record Mauresmo and Clijsters took a lot of criticism for reaching No. 1 without winning a major. Everytime they were faced with getting the big one, they choked. To this day, Amelie is still choking and Clijsters was so damn scared of playing she retired. Rumour has it that she is coming back. Let us see what she brings to the Tour. I am tired of these players who think that winning a Tour title is the same as winning a major. It is not. I am also tired of fans praising mediocrity. Dinara had 3 chances to become No.1 in the past year. The only way she could get it was backing into it like Jelena. Now that she has it and her main competitor is out injured, she is now playing like she really belongs there. She needs to get over herself and fast.

Wow, you have some serious problems :tape: :help:

starin
May 16th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Safina hit back some criticism raised by journalist in Madid after her QF win:

I don't know why people are always comenting on me and Jelena,telling us to win a GS title.

Actually,In my opinion,being #1 is not only about GS,but also your performance through the whole year.

Last year,I had nearly beaten all the top10 players,so I think I totally deserve to be #1.

I am now only thinking of how to play more competitive and stabler,that is all of what I should do.

As for French Open,I have to play match by match,but who knows the results.

Peopple's comments totally don't affect me.In fact,I think they maliciously speak out these words only because they envy me so much,because I am #1 at such a young age.

Like Jelena's year-ending #1 position last year,look at her whole year performane,she had made it into many finals including the US Open final as well as winning many events.

We need to look at an overall performance,as for GS title,we still have enough time to get it and that moment will surely come one day."

http://sports.sina.com.cn/t/2009-05-16/04324382164.shtml

So many things wrong w/ her statements:

- Mauresmo was heavily criticized for getting to #1 w/ 0 slams and 0 slam finals
- People criticize #1's w/out slams because well if you're the #1 player you should have won at least one of the 4 biggest prizes in all of tennis
-nearly beating all the top 10 player does not mean you deserve #1 especially when you have a losing H2H against several of the top 10 players :tape::help: The #1 player should be the best player in the world and it's hard to argue that when you've been thrashed by several players ranked below you
- she's not the youngest #1 by far. There have been several players who got to #1 younger and achieved more at a younger age so....
-2 slams finals and 1 SF. too bad Serena won 2 slams and made another slam final :tape::help:
- and lastly she said before that Serena was much older than her and that it wasn't fair to compare their career at this point. well Serena is 5 years older than her. Does Safina really think she will win 10 slams and the career slam in 5 years??? :tape:

Galsen
May 16th, 2009, 06:45 PM
is she serious?
she has been murdered by Serena in USO semi and AO final , and she says no one had better result than her:eek:
and after that we're talking about Serena :rolleyes:
Amélie wasn't critical:o
she's crazy even if she plays so well right now ( ON CLAY:angel:)

darkangel23
May 16th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Success makes people arrogant and too selfconfident...

Sergius
May 16th, 2009, 08:01 PM
is she serious?

she has been murdered by Serena in USO semi and AO final , and she says no one had better result than her:eek:
and after that we're talking about Serena :rolleyes:
Amélie wasn't critical:o
she's crazy even if she plays so well right now ( ON CLAY:angel:)

The translation is not correct. Actually she said "most of tennis players", not "no one"

LightWarrior
May 16th, 2009, 08:41 PM
By "people" she means Serena ? I highly doubt 10-slam winner superstar Serena envy slamless Dinara. Here she's trying to explain how the rankings work. We all know it's an unfair system. Thanks Dinara.

Matt01
May 16th, 2009, 08:52 PM
By "people" she means Serena ? I highly doubt 10-slam winner superstar Serena envy slamless Dinara. Here she's trying to explain how the rankings work. We all know it's an unfair system. Thanks Dinara.

And it's no secret that Serena wants to be the #1, so in that sense, yes she probably envies Safina.

DefyingGravity
May 16th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I feel as though we haven't given Dinara enough time as her new self to win a Grand Slam. We let Ivanovic win her slam on her own terms, and she had two grand slam finals and a semifinal before she did hers. Now Safina has done the same. She's due, she's ready now, compared to how shocked she was to get to the French final and U.S. Open semi and how she really expected to do well in Australia. She's growing as a tennis player, and she will win a Slam. I am very sure of it.

The only way I think she will not win the French Open is that a red-hot Jankovic or re inspired Ivanovic, or a clay-competent Williams sister gets to her, and Venus has already lost to Safina on clay playing great. Serena is not anywhere near competitive best, Dementieva is looking very sketchy, and while some people are starting to play well again (Mauresmo, Schnyder) and newcomers are starting to solidify (Wozniacki), she's a heavy heavy favorite for the French title.

JazzyJazz
May 16th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I feel as though we haven't given Dinara enough time as her new self to win a Grand Slam. We let Ivanovic win her slam on her own terms, and she had two grand slam finals and a semifinal before she did hers. Now Safina has done the same. She's due, she's ready now, compared to how shocked she was to get to the French final and U.S. Open semi and how she really expected to do well in Australia. She's growing as a tennis player, and she will win a Slam. I am very sure of it.

The only way I think she will not win the French Open is that a red-hot Jankovic or re inspired Ivanovic, or a clay-competent Williams sister gets to her, and Venus has already lost to Safina on clay playing great. Serena is not anywhere near competitive best, Dementieva is looking very sketchy, and while some people are starting to play well again (Mauresmo, Schnyder) and newcomers are starting to solidify (Wozniacki), she's a heavy heavy favorite for the French title.

Sharapova was the #1 at last years French when Ana won it. She had a slam before the #1 ranking.

So many things wrong w/ her statements:

- Mauresmo was heavily criticized for getting to #1 w/ 0 slams and 0 slam finals
- People criticize #1's w/out slams because well if you're the #1 player you should have won at least one of the 4 biggest prizes in all of tennis
-nearly beating all the top 10 player does not mean you deserve #1 especially when you have a losing H2H against several of the top 10 players :tape::help: The #1 player should be the best player in the world and it's hard to argue that when you've been thrashed by several players ranked below you
- she's not the youngest #1 by far. There have been several players who got to #1 younger and achieved more at a younger age so....
-2 slams finals and 1 SF. too bad Serena won 2 slams and made another slam final :tape::help:
- and lastly she said before that Serena was much older than her and that it wasn't fair to compare their career at this point. well Serena is 5 years older than her. Does Safina really think she will win 10 slams and the career slam in 5 years??? :tape:

It was 0 slams with 1 final. Amelie made the final of the AO in '99 beating #1 Davenport along the way before losing to Hingis in the final.

As for this topic I'll repost what I said before.

First of all, Amelie was not the first woman to be ranked #1 without a grand slam title Kim Clijsters was almost a year before Amelie in 2003. Amelie, & Kim were also criticized about being #1 without a slam title. But, they were what commentators, & writers called "the best players never to have won a grand slam."

Secondly, as to Dinara saying a grand slam title isn't everything let me introduce her to a few players who will say differently. First, there is Gabriela Sabatini who only won the US Open for her only slam title. Then there is Conchita Martinez, whose only grand slam title was Wimbledon. And who could forget Jana Novotna, who everyone thought would never win a slam finally did at Wimbledon. All of these ladies are consider great players but, a bit a chokers until they won their slams. Ask them if they would trade their slams for the #1 ranking. I highly doubt it.

Lastly, I think that the criticism of Dinara, & Jelena has a valid point. I don't see them winning a slam at all. With Kim, & Amelie you saw the talent & knew one day they would get out of their own way & win a slam. But, with Jelena, & Dinara I don't see that happening. Jelena (Sorry, JJ fans if your honest you know this is true.) doesn't have any real weapons to win a slam with. Even Kim, had her defensive skills, & her forehand. Amelie had her Serve, & all court game. Jelena only has her movement great though it is it's not enough to win a grand slam championship. Dinara may have weapons but, I don't see her having the temperament to win. She seems to me to be unable to put her best into winning a major, & with an attitude that slams aren't important she never will win a major. Until her attitude changes she won't win & as long as she's #1 she will forever be asked about it not being legitimate that maybe someone else is more deserving same with Jelena as well.

~MashyOwnThemAll
May 16th, 2009, 10:16 PM
:haha:

jrm
May 16th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Dinara would never use word 'maliciously'

she doesn't know the meaning of it

denibas77
May 16th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Success makes people arrogant and too selfconfident...
That's so true Federer is living proof:rolleyes:

Galsen
May 16th, 2009, 10:38 PM

And it's no secret that Serena wants to be the #1, so in that sense, yes she probably envies Safina.

no she doesn't as long as Serena will win GS it's gonna be okay and even if Serena does care about the ranking we all know that's not her main goal

bobbynorwich
May 16th, 2009, 11:40 PM
People should keep criticizing her. She's been under constant criticism ever since taking the #1 spot --- to which she's responded by blistering her way through every tourney in sight.

http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/bow.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);)

SAEKeithSerena
May 17th, 2009, 12:37 AM
she made some VERY good points, will be sure to keep my mouth shut a bit. good job, safina:)

LightWarrior
May 17th, 2009, 12:48 AM
she made some VERY good points, will be sure to keep my mouth shut a bit. good job, safina:)

Good points? She's just saying things everybody has been saying since she became #1. God you're so politically correct and hypocritical...

bobbynorwich
May 17th, 2009, 01:14 AM

There's no point in Serena reaching #1 now. Since Serena let everybody know that the WTA #1 ranking doesn't mean being the World's Best if held by Dinara, Ana or JJ (or anyone else), she can't now turn around and say it does mean that when she holds it. Besides, why bother --- in her mind she's always the World's Best regardless of ranking. She should just drop outside the top 10, get the Roadmap off her back, and let Dinara enjoy having that meaningless WTA #1 ranking.

wondoka
May 17th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Good points? She's just saying things everybody has been saying since she became #1. God you're so politically correct and hypocritical...

I don't know anything about politics and to be correct. I know something about tennis and maybe some other things. Safina is a really good player and she has worked really hard to be no 1. She's not a hard-hitter compared to The Big Muscular Women. She seems a bit slow on the court, maybe because she sometimes thinks too much about next shot. She is very very talented, indeed. I like her volleys a lot (they don't seem to fail) but sometimes it seems that she doesn't have enough "killer" in her. Her ground-strokes seems to be weak, especially when she gets returns to her backhand. She is probably the best player around the net on the tour. She is a great talent!

spartanfan
May 17th, 2009, 02:20 AM
If she actually said this, I think it shows how mature she is about the whole thing. She's not letting the whole thing affect her. She's just getting on with it. She's showing real committment and dedication to the sport, and I think she relishes the role of being number one. In fact, she's actually the kind of number one the sport needs. Let's be honest, Serena with all her trash talking doesn't care about tennis. I've always had the impression that they are there because they can be, not because they truly want to be. They (WS) were good at tennis and they realised it could make them a lot of money, and so did their father. Not like other champions who were born to play tennis.
I hope Safina gets her slam. She deserves it
I take great issue with what you've said about Venus and Serena. And let's be REAL honest, there are alot of tennis players and tennis fans who are blindly jealous of the WS success. Mainly because they've gone about winning and winning Grand Slam titles in their own way, not the way that the tour or some jealous tennis fans would want them to go about their tennis career. The Sisters have managed to be the two most successful players of their generation, and factoring out Steffi Graf, the two most successful in the past 25 years. And some people hate that. And I'm sorry but there is no player out there that is not out there for the money as well. It's what they do for a living, Serena has just earned the most money of any female player ever, and she don't usually play full time and has been out with injuries probably more than the rest of the top 10 women players combined. And yet and still she's still regarded the best there is out there, regardless of what the rankings say. Any time Serena enters a tournament and doesn't win, it's looked up as a failure, not so much for Safina.
It's hard for Safina to argue that she's the best player in the world when she has no Grand Slam titles, has a 1-6 record against Serena, got embarassed in front of a world stage the last time they've played in the Australian Finals and has only managed to win 13 games the last 3 times they've played. Serena's not being arrogant when she says she the true number 1, she's just being more honest then the rest of the world. Women's ranking are just useful for entry and seeding purposes, it's no real indication of who the best is...at the moment.

moby
May 17th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I don't know anything about politics and to be correct. I know something about tennis and maybe some other things. Safina is a really good player and she has worked really hard to be no 1. She's not a hard-hitter compared to The Big Muscular Women. She seems a bit slow on the court, maybe because she sometimes thinks too much about next shot. She is very very talented, indeed. I like her volleys a lot (they don't seem to fail) but sometimes it seems that she doesn't have enough "killer" in her. Her ground-strokes seems to be weak, especially when she gets returns to her backhand. She is probably the best player around the net on the tour. She is a great talent!Wait. You're talking about... Safina? Or do I just live in a different reality from you? :confused:

Pasta-Na
May 17th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Wait. You're talking about... Safina? Or do I just live in a different reality from you? :confused:

im thinking the same thing. :lol:

wondoka
May 17th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Wait. You're talking about... Safina? Or do I just live in a different reality from you? :confused:

I'm real. You are not. hehe

Matt01
May 17th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I take great issue with what you've said about Venus and Serena. And let's be REAL honest, there are alot of tennis players and tennis fans who are blindly jealous of the WS success. Mainly because they've gone about winning and winning Grand Slam titles in their own way, not the way that the tour or some jealous tennis fans would want them to go about their tennis career. The Sisters have managed to be the two most successful players of their generation, and factoring out Steffi Graf, the two most successful in the past 25 years.

You really need to get a reality check to arrive in the reality because you are posting some serious BS here as usual. 25 years ago Navratilova was dominating women's tennis and Evert was still around, too, and to these two women the WS definately aren't able hold a candle :lol:

yassiesj20
May 17th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I take great issue with what you've said about Venus and Serena. And let's be REAL honest, there are alot of tennis players and tennis fans who are blindly jealous of the WS success. Mainly because they've gone about winning and winning Grand Slam titles in their own way, not the way that the tour or some jealous tennis fans would want them to go about their tennis career. The Sisters have managed to be the two most successful players of their generation, and factoring out Steffi Graf, the two most successful in the past 25 years. And some people hate that. And I'm sorry but there is no player out there that is not out there for the money as well. It's what they do for a living, Serena has just earned the most money of any female player ever, and she don't usually play full time and has been out with injuries probably more than the rest of the top 10 women players combined. And yet and still she's still regarded the best there is out there, regardless of what the rankings say. Any time Serena enters a tournament and doesn't win, it's looked up as a failure, not so much for Safina.
It's hard for Safina to argue that she's the best player in the world when she has no Grand Slam titles, has a 1-6 record against Serena, got embarassed in front of a world stage the last time they've played in the Australian Finals and has only managed to win 13 games the last 3 times they've played. Serena's not being arrogant when she says she the true number 1, she's just being more honest then the rest of the world. Women's ranking are just useful for entry and seeding purposes, it's no real indication of who the best is...at the moment.

:worship::worship::worship:

spartanfan
May 17th, 2009, 02:41 PM
You really need to get a reality check to arrive in the reality because you are posting some serious BS here as usual. 25 years ago Navratilova was dominating women's tennis and Evert was still around, too, and to these two women the WS definately aren't able hold a candle :lol:
Oh, PLEASE, neither Navratilova or Evert would have been able to keep up with the speed, strength, agility and athleticism of Venus and Serena. Evert's county club game would have been swept off the court and Navratilova's serve and volley style of game would have been passed on the left, right and overhead. She wouldn't stand a chance. The womens game is much quicker today then 20-25 years ago, Martina lacks and lacked the footspeed to serve and volley in todays type of game. Apparently you haven't really thought much about how the game has evolved or know much about tennis in general. Obviously you haven't been watching or paying much attention to tennis the past two decades.

bobbynorwich
May 17th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Oh, PLEASE, neither Navratilova or Evert would have been able to keep up with the speed, strength, agility and athleticism of Venus and Serena.
Safina is currently better than either Venus or Serena with her speed, strength, agility, and athleticism --- not to mention her consistency, versatility and mental toughness.

http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/third.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);)

The Williams sisters are great players to be sure, but it's a stretch to say they could best either Navratilova or Evert using the racquet technology of the 1980s.

:hearts:

Galsen
May 17th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Safina is currently better than either Venus or Serena with her speed, strength, agility, and athleticism --- not to mention her consistency, versatility and mental toughness.

http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/third.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);)

The Williams sisters are great players to be sure, but it's a stretch to say they could best either Navratilova or Evert using the racquet technology of the 1980s.

:eek:

*JR*
May 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Oh, PLEASE, neither Navratilova or Evert would have been able to keep up with the speed, strength, agility and athleticism of Venus and Serena. Evert's county club game would have been swept off the court and Navratilova's serve and volley style of game would have been passed on the left, right and overhead. She wouldn't stand a chance. The womens game is much quicker today then 20-25 years ago, Martina lacks and lacked the footspeed to serve and volley in todays type of game. Apparently you haven't really thought much about how the game has evolved or know much about tennis in general. Obviously you haven't been watching or paying much attention to tennis the past two decades.
Martina I certainly had better footspeed than Linzi, who leads Venus 14-13 in their long h2h. I think that Lefty would err, lick either one of them :p more than she'd lose.

BTW, re. the thread's topic: that she's young and both Kim and Momo "redeemed" their #1 ranking with Slams has kept the pressure off Sister Safina for now. If she stays #1 and doesn't win any of the 3 left this year, she'll probably feel the pressure.

I don't know if thats been a factor in JJ's recent inconsistency, but the first Slamless #1 (Kim) was kind of a basket case @ first. (Much as I loved Baby Blue Eyes :sad: :sad: I don't think the often injured Russian beauty would have beaten Kim in Toronto in '03 otherwise.)

sweetpeas
May 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
take great issue with what you've said about Venus and Serena. And let's be REAL honest, there are alot of tennis players and tennis fans who are blindly jealous of the WS success. Mainly because they've gone about winning and winning Grand Slam titles in their own way, not the way that the tour or some jealous tennis fans would want them to go about their tennis career. The Sisters have managed to be the two most successful players of their generation, and factoring out Steffi Graf, the two most successful in the past 25 years. And some people hate that. And I'm sorry but there is no player out there that is not out there for the money as well. It's what they do for a living, Serena has just earned the most money of any female player ever, and she don't usually play full time and has been out with injuries probably more than the rest of the top 10 women players combined. And yet and still she's still regarded the best there is out there, regardless of what the rankings say. Any time Serena enters a tournament and doesn't win, it's looked up as a failure, not so much for Safina.

Right on!

Matt01
May 17th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Apparently you haven't really thought much about how the game has evolved or know much about tennis in general. Obviously you haven't been watching or paying much attention to tennis the past two decades.

LOL...you are funny. My tennis knowledge exceeds yours by far, that should be very obvious :wavey:

spartanfan
May 17th, 2009, 07:48 PM

Oh, PLEASE, AGAIN. The only thing Safina i better at is staying healthy and consistent. And let's see how long that last.. And mental toughness? Now that's funny. Please treat yourself and go back and watch this year's Australian Open Final and come back to me and have a conversation about mental toughness.:lol:

spartanfan
May 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM
LOL...you are funny. My tennis knowledge exceeds yours by far, that should be very obvious :wavey:
Only in your peanut shaped head does your tennis knowledge exceed anyone's on this entire board. But even the player ranked #999 in the world has to have some kind of delusional self- belief, much like yourself.:lol:

spartanfan
May 17th, 2009, 07:51 PM
take great issue with what you've said about Venus and Serena. And let's be REAL honest, there are alot of tennis players and tennis fans who are blindly jealous of the WS success. Mainly because they've gone about winning and winning Grand Slam titles in their own way, not the way that the tour or some jealous tennis fans would want them to go about their tennis career. The Sisters have managed to be the two most successful players of their generation, and factoring out Steffi Graf, the two most successful in the past 25 years. And some people hate that. And I'm sorry but there is no player out there that is not out there for the money as well. It's what they do for a living, Serena has just earned the most money of any female player ever, and she don't usually play full time and has been out with injuries probably more than the rest of the top 10 women players combined. And yet and still she's still regarded the best there is out there, regardless of what the rankings say. Any time Serena enters a tournament and doesn't win, it's looked up as a failure, not so much for Safina.

Right on!
Thanks! :wavey:

spartanfan
May 17th, 2009, 07:53 PM
:worship::worship::worship:
Thanks!! :wavey:

TheBoiledEgg
May 17th, 2009, 07:59 PM
There's no point in Serena reaching #1 now. Since Serena let everybody know that the WTA #1 ranking doesn't mean being the World's Best if held by Dinara, Ana or JJ (or anyone else), she can't now turn around and say it does mean that when she holds it. Besides, why bother --- in her mind she's always the World's Best regardless of ranking. She should just drop outside the top 10, get the Roadmap off her back, and let Dinara enjoy having that meaningless WTA #1 ranking.

1) the top 10 is for the whole yr
2) she'd get chosen as one of the 2 Marquee Players so she'd still get bound by same rules.

spartanfan
May 17th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Martina I certainly had better footspeed than Linzi, who leads Venus 14-13 in their long h2h. I think that Lefty would err, lick either one of them :p more than she'd lose.

BTW, re. the thread's topic: that she's young and both Kim and Momo "redeemed" their #1 ranking with Slams has kept the pressure off Sister Safina for now. If she stays #1 and doesn't win any of the 3 left this year, she'll probably feel the pressure.

I don't know if thats been a factor in JJ's recent inconsistency, but the first Slamless #1 (Kim) was kind of a basket case @ first. (Much as I loved Baby Blue Eyes :sad: :sad: I don't think the often injured Russian beauty would have beaten Kim in Toronto in '03 otherwise.)
Yea, I'm sure both Safina and JJ will probably win a GS at some point in their career. As to your point about Davenport and Venus, go check out who came out on top in their big matches on the big tennis stages. I'll give you a hint: Venus did. As much talent as Davenport had as a tennis player she really underperfomed as a tennis player in Grand Slams, winning only 3 (and I consider Davenport a much more complete player than say Sharapova who also has 3 GS titles or Capriati for that fact). Again, even if Martina played in todays era with todays racquets at her prime, she would have a very hard time with her serve and volley game. S&V is going extinct for a reason-the new technology with the racquets are taking away way too much time for a player to consistently make their way to the net. Don't you think that if the serve and volley style of play could dominate in the game today someone would be playing that way? Is there any player, male or female, in the top 100 who has a consistent serve and volley game? Nope, none that I can think of. And that's for a reason.

harloo
May 17th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I really feel for both her and Jankovic. It must be really mentally taxing to have people tell you that you don't deserve the #1 ranking in each interview. I know keeping your mouth shut and letting your racquet do the talking is ideal, but I think there comes a point where you are pushed to say something. I just hope Dinara keeps her focus on her tennis and not on proving herself to other people, like Jankovic did by beefing up during the off-season.

Mentally taxing? When the power game began to take over, Hingis held the #1 spot for about a year and was still harshly criticized for not winning another slam. People said she wasn't the real #1 for a long time.

Then Mauresmo was criticized harshly for reaching the #1 spot without a slam from some of the very people in this thread praising Jelena and Safina for "speaking out". And lets not even get started on the beating Kim Clijsters received for reaching #1 and not winning a slam until the end of her career.

Let's be honest here: Until Dinara and Jelena win a slam they won't be taken seriously by the establishment and fans alike. You have to prove you belong amongst the greats and that only comes with winning SLAMS.

At this point ANYBODY in the top 5 can be the #1 player.:lol: I haven't been interested in the women's game even with my favorites playing. The quality of play, lack of competiveness, and overall low quality matches has taken women's tennis to new lows. I don't even believe their is a clear #1 player with the ability dominate the tour. Serena could of held that title but at this point in her career she doesn't care. The rest of the players are too young or just mentally weak. Safina has always been good on clay, her results are of no surprise when it comes to this surface but that still doesn't excuse her dismal performances at the AO this year and USO last year.:tape:

Was Maria criticized when she reached #1? Nope. The FO is Dinara's chance to prove herself. When you really think about it nobody is really standing in her way.

bobbynorwich
May 17th, 2009, 08:29 PM
1) the top 10 is for the whole yr
2) she'd get chosen as one of the 2 Marquee Players so she'd still get bound by same rules.
Sorry, I didn't state it explicitedly, but meant drop out of top 10 list for the following year.

It's true she could be chosen as a Marquee player by some tournaments. However she'd still have fewer required commitments than the Top 10 List. In WTA Rule Book (Section II, B.1), it states that Top 10 Players must commit to 4 each of Premier Mandatory and Premier, while states that there's no required commitment (N/A) in those categories of tourney for a Marquee player.

Btw, who are the Marquee players for the current year?

spartanfan
May 18th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Sorry, I didn't state it explicitedly, but meant drop out of top 10 list for the following year.

It's true she could be chosen as a Marquee player by some tournaments. However she'd still have fewer required commitments than the Top 10 List. In WTA Rule Book (Section II, B.1), it states that Top 10 Players must commit to 4 each of Premier Mandatory and Premier, while states that there's no required commitment (N/A) in those categories of tourney for a Marquee player.

Btw, who are the Marquee players for the current year?

To answer your question: Venus and Serena. Everyone else just plays a supporting role to what the WS do in the tournaments that they play.

Machi
May 18th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I do not like anything about Safina. She has an annoying habit of licking her lips when she wins an important point like she is just about to devour a plate of ribs. I am hoping JJ takes it or really anyone but Safina.

Machi
May 18th, 2009, 01:22 AM
[QUOTE=sweetpeas;15663758] Serena's not being arrogant when she says she the true number 1, she's just being more honest then the rest of the world.QUOTE]

WS are good I will give them that. If Serena wants to be the real number one she should put in the time and do it. She did put her foot in it this time.

TennisViewer531
May 18th, 2009, 01:56 AM

Well said! :worship: :wavey:

LightWarrior
May 18th, 2009, 02:09 AM
I was just watching Steffi Graf today, reminded me of how good she is. Compared to that Safina should just bash and cut wood somewhere in Russia instead of playing tennis. Although I'm sure she's a nice person her style of play is totally horrendous, not to mention she looks like a butcher on court.

yassiesj20
May 18th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks!! :wavey:

You're welcome,darling. You were saying what a lot of people were thinking.:wavey::worship:

Vlover
May 18th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Let's be honest here: Until Dinara and Jelena win a slam they won't be taken seriously by the establishment and fans alike. You have to prove you belong amongst the greats and that only comes with winning SLAMS.

As Lindsay said the reason why they think the #1 is more important than a major is because they have never one any. She now has that opportunity again to validate her ranking as winning majors is a better indication of great players than winning warm ups.