PDA

View Full Version : Just to make it clear: could we make a list of brainless ballbasher

COSAT
May 15th, 2009, 12:06 PM
:confused::confused:
is there any in the current tour?:confused::confused:

list by posters
li
kleybanova
sprem
vaidisova
rezai
mirza
kvitova
lucic

volta
May 15th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Aravane rezai ?

Alex03Maccy
May 15th, 2009, 12:09 PM
kleybanova, vaidosova

volta
May 15th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Sprem when she arrived was AMAZING at pounding the ball :hearts: (haven't seen much from her now but i think she doesn't go for broke as often) i miss her :sobbing:

Andy.
May 15th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Mirza, Sprem

~Cherry*Blossom~
May 15th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Lucic

frenchie
May 15th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Azarenka, Sharapova and Vaidisova are the 3 real ballbashers to me

they can't do anything else but hitting the ball hard on both sides
no slice, no touch, no volley

Miss Atomic Bomb
May 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Dementieva (remove her from her bashing baseline comfort zone and she cannot think of what to do).

Though I must say, when she is on, she is the best ballbasher that there is.

Andy.
May 15th, 2009, 12:21 PM

You cant seriously put Maria and Victoria in the same category as Mirza, Sprem and Rezai. Yes they hit the ball hard but they construct points well and do so much more than hit hard. To me Brainless ball basher implies wreckless thoughtless hitting and neither of those 2 do that. Maria often finished points at net and is able to hit good lobs and drop shots and has improving volleys. I know you hate her but you can look past that hate and look properly at her game.

There is a difference between power hitter and Brainless ball basher

Foot's Fingers
May 15th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Azarenka - great example, but may be she can develop her game?

lilimi
May 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM
sharapova, dementieva,mirza, sprem,rezai...

Andy.
May 15th, 2009, 12:30 PM
If people think that Maria and Elena are brainless ball bashers then we might as well at Ivanovic to the list. Just because she has to slice every now and again because her backhand is weak we shouldnt exclude her.

Anabelcroft
May 15th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Why Dementieva?She may hit the ball very hard but she is not brainless...

frenchie
May 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM
You cant seriously put Maria and Victoria in the same category as Mirza, Sprem and Rezai. Yes they hit the ball hard but they construct points well and do so much more than hit hard. To me Brainless ball basher implies wreckless thoughtless hitting and neither of those 2 do that. Maria often finished points at net and is able to hit good lobs and drop shots and has improving volleys. I know you hate her but you can look past that hate and look properly at her game.

There is a difference between power hitter and Brainless ball basher

It's more you who are blinded because you are a fan of her:rolleyes:
Her game relies on hitting hard from side to side and that's about it!

Her drop shots are ridiculous as is her slice
Her volleys are horrendous too

M-K
May 15th, 2009, 12:32 PM

I agree about Sharapova.
But Azarenka?? Have you seen her volleys and dropshots??
And Vaidisova (Im obviously not talking about her game right now) but she can make some very good slices..

frenchie
May 15th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I don't agree with Dementieva though

She has great defensive skills and is actually pretty consistent from the baseline

Andy.
May 15th, 2009, 12:33 PM
It's more you who are blinded because you are a fan of her:rolleyes:
Her game relies on hitting hard from side to side and that's about it!

Her drop shots are ridiculous as is her slice
Her volleys are horrendous too
Hitting hard side to side doesnt automatically make you a brainless ball basher. Maria hits very hard but she is usually very accurate and plays to well planned patterns with the aim of moving foreward and finishing the points at net with a swing volley.

~Cherry*Blossom~
May 15th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Dementieva is just brainless.

Drimal
May 15th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Williams sisters or Safina are more ballbashers than Dementieva for sure :lol:

Russianboy
May 15th, 2009, 12:37 PM
if someone says maria, he has to add venus and ivanovic to the list

Mr.Kardashian
May 15th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Rezai for sure. and Kleybanova

frenchie
May 15th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Venus and Serena were maybe ballbashers in their early career

But their game is much more developped right now
Serena has amazing short angles
Venus is great at the net and has tremendous defense

On the other hand, Safina is becoming more and more a ballbasher recently

fouc
May 15th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Marta Domachowska should have been mentioned in the first place.

oleada
May 15th, 2009, 12:52 PM
For all the hate that Azarenka gets for being a "brainless ballbasher", she doesn't even hit that hard AND she has some of the best touch - if not the best - of the young guns. Better than Wozniacki, Cibulkova, etc.

darkangel5452
May 15th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Sharapova and Davenport aren't brainless ballbasher, what a stupid answer, Davenport and Sharapova rely their game on their power, but their strokes are very clean, oh come on, 3 slams under her belt at 21, that's not bbasher, and Maria can develop her game, OZ08 anyone?

MyskinaManiac
May 15th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Maria. I've always wondered what a moonball from her would look like.

With Maria, it's all or nothing. She doesn't need tactics... possibly she only has basic ones like to concrentrate all her shots to their forehand etc. She just hits hard, and goes for winners.

I used to think Nadia Petrova was one, but she's actually one of the smartest players out there.

MyskinaManiac
May 15th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Davenport actually isn't a 'brainless ballbasher'. Ballbasher yes, but she was very calculated with her tactics. And I think a clear indication of this was when she returned to the tour as a mother. Clearly she didn't have the same fitness, but still she contiunued to win tournaments through great change up of serve, great volleying, slices and fantastic angles. Alot of people forget how crafty Lindsay really is.

madmax
May 15th, 2009, 01:13 PM
how can you call a young player with three slams under her belt "brainless"?:unsure: That's pure hatred and nothing less, you can't be mindless ball basher and win a slam, winning a slam takes a lot of consistent play and "brainless" player certainly wouldn't be able to do that..

darkangel5452
May 15th, 2009, 01:22 PM
how can you call a young player with three slams under her belt "brainless"?:unsure: That's pure hatred and nothing less, you can't be mindless ball basher and win a slam, winning a slam takes a lot of consistent play and "brainless" player certainly wouldn't be able to do that..

So true and so logical, brainless ballbasher can't even win 7 matches in a row, anyway we all know frenchier hates Maria.

HRHoliviasmith
May 15th, 2009, 01:30 PM
sharapova, mirza

vadin124
May 15th, 2009, 01:35 PM
a couple of years ago I would have put Azarenka in this category, but she has since developed her game alot and she has found much more variety...

she is more patient in point, waiting for the right shot to go for a winner, and some of her drop shots are exquisite...

mindless ballbashers currently are, IMO, Vaidisova, Kleybanova and (although I like her) Li

AnnaK_4ever
May 15th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Na Li is a mindless ballbasher of the highest quality.

Mirza and Rezai are mindless ballbashers too but they are just not good enough. Plus Kvitova.

darkangel23
May 15th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Kvitova, oh yes!!!

RenaSlam.
May 15th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Nope, because both can volley.

Marionated
May 15th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Yan Zi

Vaidisova Ruled
May 15th, 2009, 02:29 PM
How can Azarenka be a brainless ballbasher? She doesn't even hit hard. I saw her play a lot these past months and I Don't think she is really powerful

jdog3008
May 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Nope, because both can volley.
Maria just prefers swinging volleys.

frenchie
May 15th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Maria just prefers swinging volleys.

as if she has the choice:rolleyes:

AnnaK_4ever
May 15th, 2009, 02:35 PM
How can Azarenka be a brainless ballbasher? She doesn't even hit hard. I saw her play a lot these past months and I Don't think she is really powerful

Azarenka being a ballbasher is one of the most popular misconceptions on TF.

Vaidisova Ruled
May 15th, 2009, 02:37 PM
sharapova, mirza
I love Sharapova and I love Nicole (and I saw she is in your signature).
Though, I think that Nicole is a brainless ballbasher but she can construct points and I think she is talented , sometimes (3 points per match) we can see that she could be a very good player and not just a ballbasher.On youtube you can see some beautiful points (volley, dropshot etc)
Maria is not brainless (3 slams), and she is not just a ballbasher, she can do some good dropshot, and create great angle.

So if you want to put Maria on this list, you have to put Nicole.

The Dawntreader
May 15th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Vaidisova can do all three. Her variety is deceptive because usuallly she plays like a turd:lol:

COSAT
May 15th, 2009, 02:39 PM
i tought that were more players

Vaidisova Ruled
May 15th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Venus can volley, but if she was a "ballbasher" in AO this year, she wouldn't have lost agaisnt Suarez Navaro. She is good at it, and doesn't have to go to the net (like Masha) to win points. That's why they don't go often to the net. Why change something that work?

The Dawntreader
May 15th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't even call Sprrem a true 'brainless ballbasher'. Even the Croat could produce some stunning angles and her touch was not bad at all. Volleys were hideous at times, but her game had plenty of flair about it, in an unconventional kind of way:lol:

I can't really think of a 'brainless ballbasher'. Maybe it's a myth?

AnnaK_4ever
May 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Chakvetadze tried to become a ballbasher but failed.

AndreConrad
I don't like pointless hard hitting, however I don't know how one can call Maria, Victoria, Sania ballbashers for example. Their victories include wins (not accidental) against some players that you would consider smart. If they won it exclusively by brainless ballbashing then it doesn't say much about the brain. This includes many others mentioned here which I don't know enough about, but I supect they have the capability to think on the court, maybe no as well as some of the smartest players but still have some tactics.

Patrick345
Wozniak.

jdog3008
May 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM
as if she has the choice:rolleyes:
Why fix something that's not broken?

H.A.M.
May 15th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Sharapova

Oh please, save your BS for somebody else would you?

I've seen Pova dropshot, swingvolley very well a gazillion time. Don't be mad because she outshined Myskina like Beyonce's stepping on Michele's and Kelly's ratty ass wigged self all day every day.

AnnaK_4ever
May 15th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I can't really think of a 'brainless ballbasher'. Maybe it's a myth?

It's not a myth. Rewatch 2007 AO 4th round match between Hingis and Na Li.

AndreConrad
May 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Everyone can have a bad day, mental block, etc.; even the smartest players. Furthermore the smartest players can make you look really stupid at times, especially on a bad day.

Lunaris
May 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Don't know about brainless, but there are plenty of ballbashers on the tour.

The Dawntreader
May 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Li actually played a pretty smart first set;)

She just fell apart though. I don't think that qualifies her as 'brainless' or as a 'ballbasher'. Everyone has mega-off days.

AnnaK_4ever
May 15th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Li actually played a pretty smart first set;)

She just fell apart though. I don't think that qualifies her as 'brainless' or as a 'ballbasher'. Everyone has mega-off days.

Ironically it was Hingis who fell apart after the first set. I never saw Martina spraying so many balls all over the place. All Na had to do in order to win in straights was keeping the ball in play for 3-4 shots before Hingis would make an UE.
But the mission was impossible for Na as she began to hit her EVERY (literally EVERY) stroke long, wide or into the bottom of the net.

allrounder
May 15th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Lisicki's definitely a ball basher although not really a brainless one as she does have a bit of variety with her drops shots and volleys but she does hit the ball very hard.

Davodus
May 15th, 2009, 03:23 PM
nicole pratt

:o

nat75
May 15th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Shara is a ballbasher. An effective one. So much so that she didn't need to variate her game at all. I wouldn't call her brainless though.

Oh, and I wouldn't like Ana if she was a ballbasher. Actually, I liked her because I saw a little variety in her game.

InsideOut.
May 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Maria doesn't actually hit the ball harder than most other girls, but she's the best 'ballbasher' out there. No denying it. She hardly ever misses any of her groundstrokes, and just wins by her relentless accuracy and intensity that very few people can match. I wouldn't qualify her as brainless though - although her volleys are pretty ugly (:tape:) she knows when and where to do it. Watch her highlights against Cibulkova in Rome last year. On her worst surface, she knew exactly when to do her little drop shot. Worked almost every time. Her slices are not pretty, but she knows when to play one. She doesn't have the best hands - far from it - but she tries, and she knows when to try.

If anything Ana (:hearts:) is more brainless than Maria. She tries drop shots at the most inopportune moments, approaches at the wrong times, yet the reason she isn't a brainless ballbasher is because she isn't a ballbasher. She has too much junk for that. Moonball, slice (she even tries forehand slice passing shots :tape:), and overall topspin hot mess at times. Which works, when she isn't panicking. Her forehand is the only shot that she shares with a true ballbasher, but now that she's taken a lot of the pace off she can't even finish points with it. Let's not even talk about the impact on the rankings. :sobbing: Unfortunately she's also my fave. :tears:

Nicole is a bit like Ana in that she has the variety, the hands, the touch, but doesn't think clearly before doing it. When things don't work out she goes back to ballbashing mode, which worked back in Radek-free times. :tape:

I don't like Azarenka at all :help: but she's not a brainless ballbasher either, primarily because she doesn't hit the ball that hard. She wins because of her intensity on court, not because she cracks the ball. She comes into the net with confidence and her aptitude at the net is shown by her doubles successes, but she doesn't have natural touch at net. This is where practicing so much helped her (according to reports she's a practice whore) because she believes in what she can do. She's not a brainless ballbasher, she's a mental player.

treufreund
May 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Actually I have seen Maria hit some very nice lobs but mostly a ballbasher...

Na Li, Mirza, Kleybanova, Lucic, Sprem

Shaun:::
May 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM
i dont think Li is brainless
She can make a good quality of drop shot

InsideOut.
May 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Actually I have seen Maria hit some very nice lobs

I should totally have mentioned that. Two amazing lobs in a Wimbledon final. One of them, on the run, to stop Serena going up 5-4 in the second set with advantage Serena. :worship: Truly remarkable, and I don't even like her that much.

Sharpie4me
May 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I love brainless ballbashers :inlove:

Temperenka
May 15th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Nicole has a nice slice drop shot. I can post videos if I must.

Lunaris
May 15th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Basically anyone with a big serve and at least one big groundstroke (forehand) can be labeled as a ballbasher or power baseliner if you want a less pejorative term. Their objective is to outhit their opponents by aiming deep in the backcourt, preferably to corners. That's their main gameplan, especially on faster courts, and it really doesn't matter whether they hit a dropshot once per match. Most points are quickly over because of their winners or errors. Executing this gameplan doesn't require too much thinking, though saying ballbashers are brainless borders with hate and simplification.

partbrit
May 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM
As much as I don't care for Vaidisova, I don't consider her a ballbasher. Certainly, Azareanka is not one. The player who most fits that category for me right now is Kvitova. But she could change. A year ago, Lisicki was pretty much a ballbasher, and that was probably a good starting point for her, but she has added so much finesse and strategy to her game.

Vanity Bonfire
May 15th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Serena Williams is the ideal ball basher when she plays normally. When she plays well, she can execute pretty much any shot, but most of the time now she just hits from the baseline in the hope that she will force more errors from her opponent and hit more winners than UE's.

BTW, I am not trying to bash the WS with my post.

juki
May 15th, 2009, 08:34 PM
It's interesting that Sania has become a better doubles player then a singles player, not what is expected for brainless ballbashers.

spiritedenergy
May 15th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Dementieva, Safina and Kuznetsova as top players. Ana is also brainless but she's not always a ballbasher (lately she hits puff balls:rolleyes:) while Sharapova and Davenport are ballbashers but not exactly brainless.

Slutiana
May 15th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Oh please, save your BS for somebody else would you?

I've seen Pova dropshot, swingvolley very well a gazillion time. Don't be mad because she outshined Myskina like Beyonce's stepping on Michele's and Kelly's ratty ass wigged self all day every day.
Lol, I dont think Maria's brainless. But hitting one or two dropshots a match doesnt prove anything. And saying she hits driive volleys only proves frenchie's point even more.

Vincey!
May 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Wozniak.

Aleks ain't a ballbasher lool, Well she is when she's not in a good mood but when she's on she hits some amazing shots, she has good volley too, loves to move forward, nice bh slice..Just watch her match against Radwanska in stuttgart, first set really high quality 2nd set ballbashing and we all know how it ended lol

Sharapova ain't a ballbasher, honestly, Ivanovic hits more meaningless powerful shots in a game than Sharapova can hit in a whole set, she has a game plan and follow it, it's not because she doesn't vary so much tht she's brainless, and about the volleys, she can, swinging volleys count! lol Before her injury she was working on adding some variety to her game...

Helen Lawson
May 15th, 2009, 09:27 PM
All of them, except maybe Mauresmo.

jdog3008
May 15th, 2009, 09:47 PM
There's a difference between ballbasher and "brainless" ballbasher.
The haters in this thread don't realize the difference.

LUVMIRZA
May 15th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Mirza's forehands are adorable:hearts: Dinara's backhands are the best for me. Mirza can volley or play touches(she has become a very good doubles player now) but she wouldnt do it in singles coz she believes in more power then finesse & that doesnt make her a brainless ball basher u dumbos. She is never fit:o & has an idiotic serve, thats her problem.

MechWarrior2k
May 15th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I'll chime in later with my take...

nicidle
May 15th, 2009, 11:48 PM
mirza is truly the one.
hitting as hard as she could without constructing the point

miffedmax
May 16th, 2009, 03:35 AM
We make fun of Elena (even her adoring fans) for never having a Plan B, but actually her Plan B is usually mindless ball bashing.

If you can take her out of her game and get her out of her rhythm, her only solution for trying to get back into sync seems to be trying to hit the ball harder and harder until she turns into an unforced error and df machine.

If she can stay in her comfort zone, she can actually play with some craft and guile, mixing in a few slices and approaches to the net with her power game.

But if she gets out of sync, all you have to do is go after her backhand and watch it breakdown, with the collapse of serve to follow within a couple of games.

But I :inlove: her anyway.

Sexysova
May 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM

seriously about Nicole? you should watch some matches of her.. for example some Wimbledon ones.. even from 2008..

Sexysova
May 16th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Nicole is not BRAINLESS ballbasher IMO but she's a ballbasher.. but she can think on the court.. just give her some time to show up.. look at her 2007/beginning of 2008 matches.. she played very solid and very well tactically.. Kodat learnt her to use drop shot which is amazing, especially from BH side.. her volleys were awesome at the beginning of 2008 when they were improving this part of Nicole's game during the off-season and Nicole can play very good slices..

Sexysova
May 16th, 2009, 07:15 AM
For all the hate that Azarenka gets for being a "brainless ballbasher", she doesn't even hit that hard AND she has some of the best touch - if not the best - of the young guns. Better than Wozniacki, Cibulkova, etc.

:spit:

Sexysova
May 16th, 2009, 07:15 AM
only brainless ballbashers in my mind are: Mirza, Sprem, Kvitova, Li, maybe even Safarova..

Junex
May 16th, 2009, 07:32 AM

Ballbashers Yes, Brainless No.

H.A.M.
May 16th, 2009, 11:24 AM
People eitheir can't read or can't make the distinction between "ballbasher" and "BRAINLESS ballbasher". Sad, just sad.

unknowndiamond
May 16th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Is this a insult thread ? :tape:

ce
May 16th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Li Na but i :hearts: her,Vaidisova,Lucic,Sprem,maybe Hantuchova

COSAT
May 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Li Na but i :hearts: her,Vaidisova,Lucic,Sprem,maybe Hantuchova

hantuchova?
you must be joking right? :eek:

COSAT
May 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Is this a insult thread ? :tape:

no way :wavey:

ce
May 16th, 2009, 03:36 PM
hantuchova?
you must be joking right? :eek:

:lol: i sometimes put her in this list :p

RFSTB
May 16th, 2009, 05:44 PM
They all are!! Starting with Jennifer Capriati, Davenport, WS, Clijsters, Sharapova, Safina, Vaidosova, Ivanovic, Hantuchova, Jankovic, Mirza, Li...some more brain dead than others, all play under the 2 plan system:

Plan A: hit hard.

Plan B: hit harder.

The only 2 who aren't, Hingis & Henin, are retired.

Boreas
May 16th, 2009, 06:00 PM
If Safina is not a ballbasher, than no one is. Her game is disgusting to watch:o

Pasta-Na
May 17th, 2009, 01:50 AM
If Safina is not a ballbasher, than no one is. Her game is disgusting to watch:o

she can moonball too, u know. :p

allrounder
Jun 8th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova....In her match against Safina at RG all she did was try to outhit Dinara by attempting to crash winners from impossible positions when they just weren't on. She may be able to ballbash her way to the top of the junior rankings, but her lack of a plan B will be exposed time and time again like it was here unless he can learn to construct points better and add some variety to her game.

RenaSlam.
Jun 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Safina, when she's off, is incredibly :help: to watch

Experimentee
Jun 12th, 2009, 04:35 AM
I don't know if its been mentioned, but definitely Michelle Larcher de Brito. Also Ivana Lisjak.

Tennisstar86
Jun 12th, 2009, 05:17 AM
It seems to me alot of people dont know what a brainless ballbasher is in this thread... my fav is the guy who said "Sharapova's a brainless ballbasher, whose just very accurate" so you mean she sets up her points and hits the ball strategically? lol.... Anyways, For sure I can say Mirza is def a brainless ballbasher after her AO loss to Venus "Well, I just know i was outhiiting her out there so Im happy about that" poor girl

goldenslam888
Jun 12th, 2009, 05:49 AM
how bout starting with the top ten ranked women in the wta.

genius
Jun 12th, 2009, 12:50 PM
if you want to identify a ballbasher, look closely at the biomechanics.

A player like federer does not strike the ball with all his might.roddick does.

there cannot be a better example of the difference than these two.

Ballbashers:top american players of the last decade-(roddick,blake,,william sisters,capriati),pierce,sharapova,ancic.

Players who use biomechanics: federer,gasquet,henin,mauresmo,ivanovic,sampras,ag assi.

Describing people who generate pace by timing and bimehanics as ballbashers is the most common mistake usually made, including this thread.

Dexter
Jun 12th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Na Li is mother of all ballbashers, she doesn't have one grey cell.

lilimi
Jun 12th, 2009, 01:04 PM

ballbasher can be fun to watch when the balls are in (Sania, Karolina, Aravane...).
what i don't like about sharapova is not the fact she's a ballbasher, but it's her technique:help::help::help:aesthetically it's so ugly:help:
dinara i don't get what's "disgusting" in her game :shrug:.she has a great technique, she's a ballerina compared to sharapova, and federer is Barychnikov.

Safina, when she's off, is incredibly :help: to watch

in that case she's not a ballbasher but a pusher who does nothing on court to hit a winner:tape::help::sad::sad::sad:

deepsand
Jun 12th, 2009, 01:08 PM
so... does that mean that a ballbasher can get to number 1 in the world?
...?

genius
Jun 12th, 2009, 01:15 PM
so... does that mean that a ballbasher can get to number 1 in the world?
...?

yes.but if you want to emulate martina,steffi,sampras,federer, you may not want to be a ballbasher.

for example, federer reached three GS finals in one of his worst years.

such remarkable consistency is not possible if you are too physical.

Dominic
Jun 12th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I'm so happy nobody mentionned Dokic :)

Dawn Marie
Jun 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Safina is a brainless ball basher. Nicole V .Whoever said Daniela and Azeranka are tennis idiots and have no idea about the game of tennis.

Sharapowerr
Jun 12th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Dokic offcourse

lilimi
Jun 12th, 2009, 05:04 PM
:o maybe dinara is brainless, but she's not a ball basher! :( :lol:

Tennisstar86
Jun 12th, 2009, 05:20 PM
if you want to identify a ballbasher, look closely at the biomechanics.

A player like federer does not strike the ball with all his might.roddick does.

there cannot be a better example of the difference than these two.

Ballbashers:top american players of the last decade-(roddick,blake,,william sisters,capriati),pierce,sharapova,ancic.

Players who use biomechanics: federer,gasquet,henin,mauresmo,ivanovic,sampras,ag assi.

Describing people who generate pace by timing and bimehanics as ballbashers is the most common mistake usually made, including this thread.

Ball bashers can not win 4 slams in a row..... or make 4 finals in a row....put all there might behind the shot.... they couldnt last an entire match/7 matches in a row like this.... Blake, Roddick, ancic are ball bashers, thats why they tend to do so horribly....

Protoss
Jun 12th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Roddick a ball basher? If anything he's a pusher. :p

Yonexforever
Jun 12th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Ivanovic should be tops on this list.
She has NO idea i dont think where the balls will end up half the time!

shoparound
Jun 12th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Can't believe someone said Davenport, she's known to think a LOT on the court.

Let's be real here people, I know she's pretty and all but IVANOVIC is a "Brainless Ballbasher". Indian Wells 09 finals is good evidence.

Onyx
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:03 PM
LOL for those who think that the Williams sisters,Sharapova,Vaidisova,Safina,etc. are not ballbashers should look at all their matches live. The only think they actually think is when they are losing they think they have to hit the ball harder than before. Sharapova does not have any variety at all and wouldn't know any if it hit her in the face. Williams Sisters ballbash until the opponent can't get to the ball then go to the net. Everyone in the top ten besides Jankovic and Wozniacki are ballbashers. Sadly enough the ones that actually thinks are retired. Safina's run at the French Open was a pure case of ballbashing at its best along with Sharapova's run at the Aussie open last year.

Steffica Greles
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Let's make this swift and easy:
Instructions
1. Go to the WTA tour site
2. Click on Rankings
3. Select All
4. Cut and Paste to this page
5. Remove Schnyder and maybe one or two others
6. Click 'Post'

lynxy
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Yes, Patty does not generate much power herself. You should have seen the trouble she had getting rid of Serra Zanetti at Wimbledon.
I guess that Sprem is erm, quite unvarying in her attempts to hit the ball hard to solve problems :D

LCS
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Elena is certainly not brainless...she constructs points. She doesn't try and blow the opponent off-court.

Convoluted
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I don't like Azarenka, but I calling her a ballbasher is a bit absurd. She actually does have a wide range of weapons, she just doesn't use them quite often enough(she played some amazing volleys at RG + good feel). If only she'd shut up I'd probably be a fan.

Convoluted
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Elena is certainly not brainless...she constructs points. She doesn't try and blow the opponent off-court.

She's not a ballbasher, she's more of a robot: her forehand goes side to side, her backhand goes crosscourt. Rinse and repeat.

LCS
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:33 PM
She's not a ballbasher, she's more of a robot: her forehand goes side to side, her backhand goes crosscourt. Rinse and repeat.

My point exactly :wavey:

AnnaK_4ever
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:34 PM
dinara i don't get what's "disgusting" in her game :shrug:.she has a great technique

:haha:

Convoluted
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:37 PM
My point exactly :wavey:

Well I'm glad we agree :lol: I guess you enjoy her robotic antics more than me :)

Serenita
Jun 12th, 2009, 08:38 PM
RoboLena can only hit cross court. thats brainless

Ferg
Jun 12th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Definition of a ballbasher: An offensive player who you dont like.

KonVicked
Jun 12th, 2009, 11:28 PM
serena williams is pretty much the biggest ballbasher in my books according to chiakifug's definition. .

gdot
Jun 12th, 2009, 11:33 PM
li na is the best brainless ballbasher out there thats for sure, but in a good way.
god i wish sometimes jj would ball bash, something might go right

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jun 12th, 2009, 11:44 PM
LOL for those who think that the Williams sisters,Sharapova,Vaidisova,Safina,etc. are not ballbashers should look at all their matches live. The only think they actually think is when they are losing they think they have to hit the ball harder than before. Sharapova does not have any variety at all and wouldn't know any if it hit her in the face. Williams Sisters ballbash until the opponent can't get to the ball then go to the net. Everyone in the top ten besides Jankovic and Wozniacki are ballbashers. Sadly enough the ones that actually thinks are retired. Safina's run at the French Open was a pure case of ballbashing at its best along with Sharapova's run at the Aussie open last year.

Yeah, I forgot in the Miami 2007 final that Serena started to serve and volley against Justine and won the match!

Kuzzy Owns Me
Jun 13th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I don't think either Sveta, Serena or Venus are ballbashers, JJ probably isn't one either :shrug:

but take someone like Safina or Azarenka out of their comfort zones behind the baseline and they are totally dead :shrug:

Derek.
Jun 13th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Victoria Azarenka is NOT a ballbasher. :weirdo:

She constructs her points incredibly well and often sneaks into net or mixes in a drop shot.

HeninFan_2008
Jun 13th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Ana :bigcry:
Pova :armed:
Williams sisters
Safina

HeninFan_2008
Jun 13th, 2009, 06:59 AM
serena williams is pretty much the biggest ballbasher in my books according to chiakifug's definition. .

Yes the light of Sparta has shined upon you. :angel:

InsideOut.
Jun 13th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Victoria Azarenka is NOT a ballbasher. :weirdo:

She constructs her points incredibly well and often sneaks into net or mixes in a drop shot.

As do most. :weirdo:

allrounder
Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
I think Kutuzova can be added to this list. Against Masha she was really giving the ball a big thump with alot of success to begin with, but with such a one dimensional game its hard to win against a top player by just hitting as hard as possible over the course of a whole match.

SM
Jun 22nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
I think Kutuzova can be added to this list. Against Masha she was really giving the ball a big thump with alot of success to begin with, but with such a one dimensional game its hard to win against a top player by just hitting as hard as possible over the course of a whole match.
kutuzova played fine, she played a winning game and well enough to beat maria...but she didnt, and that comes down to mental aspect, its what separates someone who cant make it past 2r in slams from a slam champ!

MechWarrior2k
Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
When is the list going to be updated?:confused:

Dodoboy.
Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
Alla K v Elena :tape:

Fantasy Hero
Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
isn't there ALG? :eek:

allrounder
Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:12 PM
kutuzova played fine, she played a winning game and well enough to beat maria...but she didnt, and that comes down to mental aspect, its what separates someone who cant make it past 2r in slams from a slam champ!
To be fair i didn't see anything other than winners from baseline bashing and UE's from baseline bashing from Kutuzova in the whole match. Her whole game is just about bashing the ball from side to side with no variety whatsoever. Even when Maria started to get a grip of the match after taking the first set she never once tried something different.

The Dawntreader
Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:14 PM
Melanie South.

allrounder
Sep 1st, 2009, 03:42 PM
Voskoboeva...She's already hit over 20 UE from going for big shots and were not even in the 2nd set yet. :help:

Edit: 29 unforced errors and still only lost the set 6-4 which she should really have won if she'd converted more of her BP's, it kind of tells you how passively Caroline has been playing :lol:

gdot
Sep 1st, 2009, 03:52 PM
georges has been trying to bash sveta to death

Langers
Sep 1st, 2009, 04:09 PM
Goerges for sure, massive ball basher.

As for Galina v Caro, Caro is such a pusher. :o Commentators going on about how far back in the court she's been standing, of course...

Noctis
Sep 1st, 2009, 04:11 PM
Olaru bashing it away

Viktymise
Sep 1st, 2009, 04:26 PM
Olaru bashing it away

:help:

Noctis
Sep 1st, 2009, 04:31 PM
She was yesterday.

SVK
Sep 1st, 2009, 04:35 PM
Definitely Groth

John.
Sep 1st, 2009, 04:36 PM
Voskoboeva :help:

allrounder
Sep 1st, 2009, 04:38 PM
Voskoboeva is definitely up there with the best of them...45 UE in a 16 game match = roughly 3 a game :help:

Mightymirza
Sep 1st, 2009, 04:59 PM
Add Paszek..:lol:

fantic
Sep 2nd, 2009, 05:15 AM
Melanie South.
Her game against Oudin at LA certainly was. She kinda 'herded' Oudin left and right. :)
But Oudin had great defense and won the match!

Mightymirza
Sep 29th, 2009, 04:14 AM
pova..

thegreendestiny
Sep 29th, 2009, 04:35 AM
venus losing to nastya. those UEs. :tape:

dark_marco
Apr 29th, 2013, 08:30 AM
kvitova, li na, pavlyuchenkova, sorana cirstea, madison keys, laura robson, kristina mladenovic, sabine lisicki

killerqueen
Apr 29th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Cirstea is the only one of those who I see as a real BBB...

BillFromRichmond
Apr 29th, 2013, 10:32 AM
kvitova, li na, pavlyuchenkova, sorana cirstea, madison keys, laura robson, kristina mladenovic, sabine lisickiNo thanks for reviving an idiotic thread.:mad:

Well today, everyone here seems to think that anyone who is not a "Pusher" is a BBB(brainless ball basher), so the list has to also include Serena, Maria, Vika, Sam Stosur, Petrova, Vinci, Kirkilenko, Ana, Sloane, Venus... and I am running out of room to get to the majority of the rest of the top 100.

histery
Apr 29th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Jovanovski, she has absolutely no finesse in her game; ivanovic, cadantu,

histery
Apr 29th, 2013, 10:55 AM
No thanks for reviving an idiotic thread.:mad:

Well today, everyone here seems to think that anyone who is not a "Pusher" is a BBB(brainless ball basher), so the list has to also include Serena, Maria, Vika, Sam Stosur, Petrova, Vinci, Kirkilenko, Ana, Sloane, Venus... and I am running out of room to get to the majority of the rest of the top 100.

Very not true, for me BBB is a very distinct category, with players with no plan B, no variation in their shots (not even in length/placement), so it does not include all players you mentioned (only Ana and Venus maybe, but Venus actually comes to the net so she does not quite fit into the category)

Miracle Worker
Apr 29th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Jovanovski, she has absolutely no finesse in her game; ivanovic, cadantu,

Cadantu? How? I thought we decided she's weaponless ballpusher.

I would say Kvitova, but when she's in she seems she uses her brain.

And Gajdosova.

Iblis
Apr 29th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Camila Giorgi, no doubt. :hysteric:

histery
Apr 29th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Cadantu? How? I thought we decided she's weaponless ballpusher.

I would say Kvitova, but when she's in she seems she uses her brain.

And Gajdosova.

Cadantu hits the ball as hard as she can, she's just weak:rolleyes:

danieln1
Apr 29th, 2013, 12:46 PM
In 2009 some people thought Azarenka was a BBB... Now some call her a power pusher or pusher in disguise :oh:

alfonsojose
Apr 29th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Cirstea is not here :eek: :tape: ?

JustPetko
Apr 29th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Cibulkova? Vandeweghe? Puchkova?

RobinT83
Apr 29th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Dominguez-Lino,Errani,Cornet,Gajdosova,Davis,Wozniacki,Cabez a Candela,Beck...

fouc
Apr 29th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Cadantsu made her way into this thread and the poster wasn't ironic :hysteric:

Kasey
Apr 29th, 2013, 03:03 PM

what the....?
:bigcry:

n1_and_uh_noone
Apr 29th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Ivanovic a ballbasher? :spit: Maybe just half of one. She cannot hit a backhand harder than anyone in the top 250 to save her life.

InsideOut.
Apr 29th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Very not true, for me BBB is a very distinct category, with players with no plan B, no variation in their shots (not even in length/placement), so it does not include all players you mentioned (only Ana and Venus maybe, but Venus actually comes to the net so she does not quite fit into the category)

Ana also comes into the net. Very often in fact. Plus she hits a lot of junk on her backhand side especially - slices, drop shots, and the like. She's not your typical BBB :rolleyes: please watch all the players you talk about before commenting.

Iblis
Apr 29th, 2013, 03:33 PM
No way Ivanovic is a "BBB" in my opinion, that doesn't make any sense.

Mynarco
Apr 29th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Kvitova is NOT a BBB. She can volley and uses it quite often actually

FORZA SARITA
Apr 29th, 2013, 03:45 PM

why you included Gajdosova in this list :lol:

Harry.
Apr 29th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Hradecka, Lisicki..

Paul.
Apr 29th, 2013, 05:13 PM
For me the worst is Gajdosova

Mynarco
Apr 29th, 2013, 05:14 PM
The most BBB I have seen is either Lucic or Gajdosova.

madmax
Apr 29th, 2013, 05:21 PM
The most BBB I have seen is either Lucic or Gajdosova.

negative...the biggest basher is Hradecka by far, if you ever had a chance to witness her "tennis".:lol: Every single WTA power hitter instantly becomes a pusher when playing aganst her...too bad her shots mostly find the back of the fence rather than inside of the lines, otherwise the tour would be screwed:devil:

Cajka
Apr 29th, 2013, 05:32 PM
There are no brainless ballbashers on a pro level. :lol: Those girls spent so many years training and preparing for this. No way that they didn't work on tactics and other things, that they just focused on hitting as hard as possible. But some other factors like bad day in the office, nerves, fitness issues, injuries can make them go for too much, make a poor shots selection etc. In those cases they might look like BBBs, but you can't become a top 100 if hitting the ball as hard as possible is all you can do. Besides, they all practice volleys, drop shots, slices, but not many of them will play those shots in an actual match. For example, you won't see Sharapova attempting a drop shot very often, but it's not like she can't hit it.

bobito
Apr 29th, 2013, 05:39 PM
negative...the biggest basher is Hradecka by far, if you ever had a chance to witness her "tennis".:lol: Every single WTA power hitter instantly becomes a pusher when playing aganst her...too bad her shots mostly find the back of the fence rather than inside of the lines, otherwise the tour would be screwed:devil:

I was courtside Hradecka's match against Kerber at Wimbledon last year. Not a great deal of margin for error it has to be said.

missvarsha
Apr 29th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Can we always exclude random person ranked in the 200s who's only claim to fame is "Obscure babe from my country who I saw that one time..."
I don't even know who the hell Hradecka is for example.

Anyway, the biggest and worst brainless ballbasher currently swanning around in the high echelons is of course Ludmilla "KROTTT !!" Kvitova.

leftbrian
Apr 29th, 2013, 05:48 PM
There are no brainless ballbashers on a pro level. :lol: Those girls spent so many years training and preparing for this. No way that they didn't work on tactics and other things, that they just focused on hitting as hard as possible. But some other factors like bad day in the office, nerves, fitness issues, injuries can make them go for too much, make a poor shots selection etc. In those cases they might look like BBBs, but you can't become a top 100 if hitting the ball as hard as possible is all you can do. Besides, they all practice volleys, drop shots, slices, but not many of them will play those shots in an actual match. For example, you won't see Sharapova attempting a drop shot very often, but it's not like she can't hit it.

If they know how to hit other shots in practice but choose not use them in matches, they are still BBB. All the BBBs can play like Niculescu in practice but in matches they won't because the BBBing is in their blood. Can't change that.

RobinT83
Apr 29th, 2013, 06:27 PM
why you included Gajdosova in this list :lol:

Simple game: spot the odd one out.

Mahon_Lorcan
Apr 29th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Gajdosova - her tennis is awful
Hradecka
Rezai
Sharapova
Cirstea
Lisicki
Wickmayer

allezgillez
Apr 29th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Some people consider Bethanie a ball-basher. Her and Alla Kudryavtseva go for broke even when they don't really need to

allezgillez
Apr 29th, 2013, 06:58 PM
And in some cases Zakopalova and Renata Voracova can be considered "mindless ball bashers". Although no player is mindless all the time. They are just some players who seem to go for broke more often than not to try and solve a problem rather than try to play defense and work themselves back in the point.

madmax
Apr 29th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Hradecka
Rezai
Sharapova
Cirstea
Lisicki
Wickmayer

lol

leftbrian
Apr 29th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Hradecka
Rezai
Sharapova
Cirstea
Lisicki
Wickmayer

lol

I know! That's ridiculous. She was a BBB. Definitely not anymore! No way anyone can win a career slam as a BBB.