PDA

View Full Version : Article: Sisters Gunning For Roland Garros

tennisIlove09
May 14th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Sisters gunning for Roland Garros

Thursday, April 30, 2009
By Myrtille Rambionhttp://www.rolandgarros.com/images/pics/large/b_Williams_Corinne-Dubreuil.jpg (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/photos/2009-04-30/200904301240513502981.html)

Venus and Serena Williams have shared the Grand Slams between them since Wimbledon 2008 and now have Roland Garros well and truly in their sights. With a smile and a knowing look, Serena Williams savoured the way she was once again stirring up the assembled journalists at a press conference. "Venus and I are trying to do the Grand Slam between us," she announced. "It's a family project." With Wimbledon and the US and the Australian Opens, three of the four major titles found their way almost as a matter of course into the Serena and Venus Williams trophy cabinet in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida in the space of six months. This rich vein of form began right after the French Open last year, when the sisters contested the final at Wimbledon (before winning the doubles a few hours later).

"Roland Garros is a real priority" (Serena Williams)

"Venus and Serena were really affected by their early exits at Roland Garros," explained their elder sister Isha a few hours before their showdown on the centre court of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. "It was a real disappointment for both of them, and they've been working really hard to put it behind them." After her third round exit at the hands of Katarina Srebotnik in Paris last May, Serena has been saying in recent months that "Roland Garros is a real priority this year. I was really disappointed and upset with myself. If I win here, it will wipe the slate clean from 2008."

Having lost in the same round to Flavia Pennetta, Venus is equally as determined to put things right. "Last year I had some personal problems," she explained, "but that was last year. This time around, things are going to be totally different." So women's tennis be warned: after a 2006 season ruined by injuries, the Williams sisters are back to their very best. At the time, they took a virtual sabbatical to concentrate on outside interests – interior design for Venus and Hollywood for Serena. Since then however, they have put these projects on hold (temporarily) to devote all their energies to tennis once again.

Repeat of 2002?

"Yes, I have taken on some outside projects which I concentrate on when I'm not on court, explained Serena who has recently launched a handbag and jewellery line."It just means that I have to be organised. But if you ask me what my real passion is, I'll tell you, it's tennis. And if you ask me what my profession is, I'll say tennis player!" "What I do best is playing tennis," continued Venus, "and while I'm still good enough to beat any opponent, I'll carry on. I'm enjoying it more and more. It's fantastic to feel that you're the best in a particular domain and I want to have that feeling for a good few years to come."

Clay is far from being the Williams' favourite surface however, but despite not having a game suited to this slowest of courts, their intensity and sheer will-power have already seen them scale the heights in Paris. In 2002, Serena won her only ever French Open title, beating none other than Venus in the final. Now that the two of them are back to their best and with Serena also spending time back at the top of the rankings, who is to say that history will not repeat itself, but perhaps with a different sister coming out on top? "Serena may be my sister but when we're out on court, I'm there to win. I don't give anyone anything," stated Venus. The "family project" looks like running for a while yet…

Slutiana
May 14th, 2009, 07:17 PM
GO WS. Opposite halves, PLEASE!

Dodoboy.
May 14th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I don't care what halves there are in :shrug: Just both get past the QF please!

In The Zone
May 14th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Well I would hope they would be gunning for the title. . .

serenus_2k8
May 14th, 2009, 07:28 PM
:lol: I can see the convo now, sat round the dinner table in Paris in late May 2008 like ''You feel like scooping the slams between us this year, sis?'' :haha:

I love this project :inlove: Hope they finish it, but Vee should watch out as if Ree wins RG, the sharing will go straight out the window and she will move heaven and earth to snap up that Wimbledon title.

Great to see them so focused and positive, but I want to take it one step at a time. Both can have meltdowns on clay and injuries are always a concern. Lets go WS :banana:

gmokb
May 14th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Yeah, give the haters more ammo against the sisters.

Alex03Maccy
May 14th, 2009, 07:31 PM
another Serena v Venus final please.

Serenidad2
May 14th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Venus won't get past R3.

starin
May 14th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah, give the haters more ammo against the sisters.

They find it everywhere. I'm sure if Serena gave birth on court they'd accuse her of being a poor sport and a faker.

Nice article but I'm not getting my hopes up for RG. Clay has brought a lot of bitter pills for the WS and I don't want to overdose at RG.

youizahoe
May 14th, 2009, 07:39 PM
C'mon sisters, it would be emberassing to see someone else winning.

pav
May 14th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Given some of their recent efforts, one could say it would be embarrassing to see either of those buggers winning!

serenus_2k8
May 14th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Given some of their recent efforts, one could say it would be embarrassing to see either of those buggers winning!

One could consider it, however one would soon realise what an absurd statement that would be about the best 2 players of their generation.

Alex03Maccy
May 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM
if they want to win it, they probably will.

olympus28
May 14th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I don't believe her public declarations anymore! i want ACTS !

Inger67
May 14th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Venus won't get past R3.

What makes you say that? Have you not been watching tennis the past 1/2 year?

QUEENLINDSAY
May 14th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I hope Venus does well, but as for Serena, I hope she lose first or second round then she could stop whining over thousands of dollars she got penalized.

Tennisstar86
May 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM

All the top players have had some Suspect efforts lately...

HRHoliviasmith
May 14th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Go Serena!!!! :bounce:

RenaSlam.
May 14th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I'll be happy with 4R for both of them. Although I want Serena to win it and she can, even injured.

Direwolf
May 15th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Go Venus take it all!!

madlove
May 15th, 2009, 07:54 AM
both won't make it past the qf

Knizzle
May 15th, 2009, 07:59 AM
The Top 4 seeds will really help, if they were seeded lower then I wouldn't be too optimistic.

Golovinjured.
May 15th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Go Vee WOO!

Londoner
May 15th, 2009, 08:36 AM
both won't make it past the qf

I don't agree. I think that if they get to the QF they are more dangerous. They get better the deeper they get into tournaments and closer to the title. It's in the early rounds they are more vulnerable.

If both get some form together there is no reason why either can't win RG this year. Given the level of the rest I would be disappointed for them if one of them doesn't win. This really should be there for the taking.

Alex03Maccy
May 15th, 2009, 09:15 AM
agreed, unless they lose in the first few at wimbledon they normally win it. they rarely get knocked out in quarters and semis.

sky20748
May 15th, 2009, 12:19 PM
anyone can win anything.but i am more partial to venus winning it.she has for years tried and tried and its time now for her to give that extra push.use angles,put more spin on the ball.find better placement.it can be done.she is a vet and she needs to show and act like it.she can do it.but she needs to implore patience becuase clay is slower and you cant just outhit your opponent.you have to outwit them.thats the key and i pray that she figures this out soon.she cant keep losing to players who then inturn go out themselves in the next round.come on the time is now.there is no dominant player out there now and its yours for the taking.

Lord Choc Ice
May 15th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Don't the sisters basically say something like this every year? What else is new? :o

bobbynorwich
May 15th, 2009, 01:35 PM
anyone can win anything.but i am more partial to venus winning it.she has for years tried and tried and its time now for her to give that extra push.use angles,put more spin on the ball.find better placement.it can be done.she is a vet and she needs to show and act like it.she can do it.but she needs to implore patience becuase clay is slower and you cant just outhit your opponent.you have to outwit them.thats the key and i pray that she figures this out soon.she cant keep losing to players who then inturn go out themselves in the next round.come on the time is now.there is no dominant player out there now and its yours for the taking.

True dat.

A more revealing article headline would be: "The Sun Will Rise Tomorrow." Where is the link for this article? A link to "Myrtille's Blog"?

hwanmig
May 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I don't think so, I think their the ones that will be gunned down in round three:lol:.

yassiesj20
May 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Fuck the haters!