PDA

View Full Version : MadridR3: A. Szavay def. V. Azarenka (4-6, 6-2, 6-2)

bobbynorwich
May 14th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Wow, what a shocker. Could someone who saw the match please give an analysis?

RenaSlam.
Azarenka can't play on clay.

kman
Vika one point from getting bageled in the last set :help:

RenaSlam.
May 14th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Analysis: Azarenka simply is not that good on clay.

Dini.
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Does this mean that Agi is officially out of her slump?

CloudAtlas
LOL. I'd feel sorry for her but ever since her hissy fit in Rome I'm beggining to feel glad when she loses.

Alex03Maccy
I reckon Momo can take Szavay.

Ballbasher
Vika was horrible injured, it was bad to watch . :sad: Hopefully her knee will be rested for RG! She should have retired! :o

Mikey.
Omg :sobbing: That too so long to finish. That final game was epic. :lol: Well done Agi. :yeah:

Rest up Vika :hug: Looks like her leg was hurting her a bit. :unsure: I hope it's nothing serious. :scared:

Effy
May 14th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Agi :woohoo: good job. Keep it up please

ppl say Azarenka is injured :(

mon72
May 14th, 2009, 04:47 PM
omg Ági well done :bounce:

Ballbasher
May 14th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Vika was bandaged around her whole left knee and moved very bad! Szavay tried to choke! End of story!

Nina.
May 14th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Vika :awww: rest your leg.
Congrats to Agnes.

bobbynorwich
LOL. I'd feel sorry for her but ever since her hissy fit in Rome I'm beggining to feel glad when she loses.

Agreed, and I'm thinking of leaving the bandwagon after watching some of her unsporting antics in earlier tourneys. Maybe she behaved better today, we'll see.

M-K
:( :( :(
Good fight Vika! :)
Hope the injury isnt that bad!

TheBoiledEgg
May 14th, 2009, 04:50 PM
and she needed a lucky dead net cord to win

hope Vika is ok for RG

Dawson.
Jeeez, anymore choking out there and Agnes would have needed CPR

Costanza
So,Mauresmo is in final?

M-K
Lol at the mp she finally took.. With a net...

JadeFox
Okay what is this about Vika being injured? It better not be anything serious. :sad:

InsideOut.
YES!!!!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce: FINALLY!!!!!!

Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead. :dance:

vadin124
May 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM
needed 8 match points to get the job done :help:

that final point though, so unlucky Vika! never seen a match end on a let cord before :sad:

TheBoiledEgg
Vika's knee is heavily bandaged up :(

InsideOut.
Okay what is this about Vika being injured? It better not be anything serious. :sad:

She had a taping around her left leg. It wasn't that serious; she was just getting really down on herself and pretty much tried to convince herself she couldn't move. :o

Andreas
Vika didn't even celebrate after some of the fantastic winners she made. She could barely move and I reckon it would be better if she had retired after the 2nd set maybe.

Agnes Szavay won on her 8th mp - a net cord.

I really hope Vika gets rested for Roland Garros, because this injury looks pretty bad. She has a lot of trouble when hitting the backhand and almost her whole leg is taped up.

Calliope.
Vika :sad: Hope it's nothing serious :sad: :hug:
Congrats Agnes :D and good luck in QF!!

Drake1980
May 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM
:eek: :bounce:

ElusiveChanteuse
May 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Yeah, what a joke Szavay is. Needed 8 Mps to win a limping Vika and even needed a lucky net cord to end the match.
Poor Vika. Hopefully she's not seriously injured.:hug: :(

M.P
May 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM
:lol: the netcord end the match
gL Azavay please beat mo!!!
Vika rest up for the FO!the leg injury

darkangel23
May 14th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Agnes played soooo stupid! When she was leading 5:0 she played always directly to Azarenka, who could then hit as hard as she could and did the winner at some point. Even on her 7th MP only a netcord gave her the match! Her talent is overrated IMO

hablo
The net also loves Szavay; she won the match with a netcord. :lol:

Anyhow, nice win! It's going to be an interesting match vs Mauresmo.

InsideOut.
Yeah, what a joke Szavay is. Needed 8 Mps to win a limping Vika and even needed a lucky net cord to end the match.
Poor Vika. Hopefully she's not seriously injured.:hug: :(

True. :o The way Agi choked at the end was pretty pathetic. :(

Ferg
May 14th, 2009, 04:56 PM
People need to get over themselves, that was a very affecting injury and disliking her doesnt mean that it wasnt. :rolleyes: It was obviously the reason for her loss. And this is coming from a neutral.

Agi :hug: great to see her do somthing after her horrid 08! Hope its the start of her playing well again.

Sharpie4me
May 14th, 2009, 04:57 PM

Calling a player a dead witch is kind of mean and rude, don't you think?
No wonder Ana got alot of hate on this board, mostly thanks to her fans.

danieln1
This is the tournament of she slumping players: Anna C, Agnes, Alona... :haha: :haha:

Azarenka is hopeless on clay...

Effy

blah.. you are getting more and more annoying :(

volta
omg for a minute i thought Szavay was going to choke this one out , i mean up 5-0 in the 3rd with 3 match points and then loses the next 2 games :help: im glad she is through PHEW :lol:

DragonFlame
May 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM
These netcords in madrid are like a plague:help:

Anyway, azarenka clearly couldn't move well. Szavay was being generious and hit everything to the middle so azarenka didn't have to move at the end.:tape: Then she won with a lucky netcord on her 8th matchpoints:lol:

Glad i only saw the end of this match. Now lets see if wozniacki gets to top10.

InsideOut.
May 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Calling a player a dead witch is kind of mean and rude, don't you think?
No wonder Ana got alot of hate on this board, mostly thanks to her fans.

Whatever. :rolleyes:

DragonFlame
May 14th, 2009, 04:59 PM
These netcords in madrid are like a plague:help:

Anyway, azarenka clearly couldn't move well. Szavay was being generious and hit everything to the middle so azarenka didn't have to move at the end.:tape: Then she won with a lucky netcord on her 8th matchpoints:lol:

Glad i only saw the end of this match. Now lets see if wozniacki gets to top10.

Beat
May 14th, 2009, 05:02 PM
fantastic result :D well done, agnes.

ElusiveChanteuse
Please people, watch the match before claiming Vika's hopeless on clay. She's obviously injured.:rolleyes:
Plus, she's not even losing 3 straight matches on clay like Serena.:rolleyes:

Alex03Maccy
glad azarenka is out. she is a prima donna and she will probably retire before she's 25.

adrovi
May 14th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Vika :sad:

G&R
May 14th, 2009, 05:03 PM
yes victoria is injured but I'so happy for agnes...however this 8 Mps wasted :rolleyes:
she hit a netcord winner luckily in her ninth :)

Harju.
May 14th, 2009, 05:04 PM
:rolls: @ Agi needed a net cord to win the match despite Vika playing with one leg.

Vika :hug:
Rest up for RG where it matters.

jefrilibra
May 14th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Great victory.:worship:

gmak
May 14th, 2009, 05:11 PM
vika :sad: :( you shouldn't have played
please rest up for RG :hug:

:lol: @ szavay needing 8mps to beat a limping opponent and on a netcord as well

momo will thump her :drool:

PersephoneDisco
May 14th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Vika's knee was heavily bandaged and she could barely move. Agnes was just being too nice and kept giving the ball back, not going for out right winners etc. Lucky netcord won her umpteenth mp. But a good win nevertheless for Agnes :)

Uranus
May 14th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Rest up for RG, Vika :hug:.

So great to see Agi doing well in a big tournament again, though :).
Haha, lucky netcords 1 vs. lucky netcords 2, tomorrow :angel:.

Mikey.
May 14th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Eww! Stop beating my faves Agnes you slagface. :o

Rest up for RG, Vika. Hopefully the injury isn't too serious. :scared:

:weirdo: Where have you been mister?!

frenchie
May 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM
the better clay court player won anyway

Great to see Agnes back to this level
She has such a nice and clean game

Matyika_
May 14th, 2009, 05:25 PM
just for the record: Szavay's hip hurts, she asked for an injury timeout in the 2nd set too

so it wasn't only vika who could not move

Brena
May 14th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Has Agi finally woken up??? :bounce:

PersephoneDisco
May 14th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Vika is playing doubles at the mo, at least thats why my sb is telling me :confused:

InsideOut.
May 14th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Azarenka is still playing doubles. :o Meaning?

PersephoneDisco
May 14th, 2009, 05:33 PM
She was barely moving and in tears when they showed past points when I tuned in to the match. Not a wise move to play doubles.

InsideOut.
They retired.

Alex03Maccy
she's just retired.

PersephoneDisco
May 14th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Waste of time :p

Christinawww
May 14th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Vika, get some rest and be healthy for the French Open

TheBoiledEgg
May 14th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Vika only played doubles cos of this rule

Prize Money & Ranking points Awarded to Withdrawing Doubles Team
If a doubles team withdraws in any round, their Prize Money & Points is calculated per the round they withdrew less 50 percent
of the difference between that round and the previous round. In addition, the doubles player causing the withdrawal will forfeit
the other 50 percent; however, if she does not play in a tennis event the following week, she may apply to the WTA Tour for
reinstatement of the other 50 percent forfeited. The Tournament shall retain the difference in prize money

Kim's_fan_4ever
May 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Poor Azarenka, I hope that her injury is not serious, she was not moving well in the end of the match :awww: She's not a good claycourter either :( Rest up for RG.

Grats to Szavay.

JazzyJazz
May 14th, 2009, 05:47 PM
So,Mauresmo is in final?

Yes, I hope so.

that final point though, so unlucky Vika! never seen a match end on a let cord before :sad:

If I remember right French Open 2000 Seles vs Mauresmo. Monica won the match on a netcord. Amelie could only stand & watch it fall over the net.

FERLKE
May 14th, 2009, 05:48 PM
:woohoo::devil:

Serenita
May 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM
poor thing

joăo.
May 14th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Well done, Agnes.

VIKA?
May 14th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Oh my... I won't say nothing:tape:

pica_pica
May 14th, 2009, 06:17 PM
:eek: :eek:

Congrats Agnes anyway

The Dawntreader
May 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Regardless of any injury of Azarenka's, it's so good to see Agnes turning her season around. This girl is dripping with talent, and it's a relief to see her at least on the way to patching her game together. It's her second top 10 win of the season.

Clay is quite a profitable surface for Szavay. She can relie on her heavy topspin forehand to draw her opponents into long exchanges and then score with her backhand. I think she's quite a overlokked tactician. When she's playing well, she can exploit her opponents with great efficiency.

Go Agnes!

Ciarán
May 14th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Victoria was injured :rolleyes:
But congrats to Ágnes :hug:

LUVMIRZA
May 14th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Vika:hug:
But finally Agni has find her form again:dance:

olivero
May 14th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Agnes :speakles: well done :worship:

too bad for Vika though, hope she's not injured

TennisViewer531
May 14th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Great comeback for Agnes! Good luck in your next match!

cn ireland
May 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Fantastic win for Agnes:banana:!

dybbuk
May 14th, 2009, 08:04 PM
:woohoo: Yay, Agi! Don't care if she had a little mini-choke, she still won, which she wouldn't have last year. :hearts:

Vika. :hug:

Inger67
May 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I'm very happy about this :) I thought I liked Vika at one point, but she has just turned out to be annoying to me.

Derek.
May 14th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Vika's injured again. :sad:

Otherwise I'm sure she'd beat Szavay. :o

Monica_Rules
May 14th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Great win Agnes. Defo on her way back now

C. Drone
May 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Agi was useless after 5-0 in the 3rd. i feel ashamed of her.

Petkorazzi
May 14th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Vika's injured again. :sad:

Otherwise I'm sure she'd beat Szavay. :o
Wow, you don't like Szavay? :bolt: I thought you'd like her as every single promising junior on earth. :shrug:

dybbuk
May 14th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I watched the end, people are kind of hard on Agnes I think. :unsure: Vika was probably hampered by her knee, but she was still hitting her groundstrokes fairly well, she hardly handed Agnes the match. I can't compare the last few games to the rest of the match, but Agnes still hit some impressive backhands and flattened out her forehand a few times. She can play better, but she didn't play badly at the end. :shrug: If she didn't get the netcord she most likely would have won still.

Lord Choc Ice
May 14th, 2009, 09:40 PM
A win's a win, and it's always nice to see Angerenka put in her rightful place.

WD Agnes. :woohoo:

G&R
May 14th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I watched the end, people are kind of hard on Agnes I think. :unsure: Vika was probably hampered by her knee, but she was still hitting her groundstrokes fairly well, she hardly handed Agnes the match. I can't compare the last few games to the rest of the match, but Agnes still hit some impressive backhands and flattened out her forehand a few times. She can play better, but she didn't play badly at the end. :shrug: If she didn't get the netcord she most likely would have won still.

true..Victoria was hitting very hard even with her injury that affected only her movement

iGOAT
May 14th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Ágnes :inlove::bowdown::woohoo:!!!!!

This is so exciting, and she will be seeded at the French Open now :hearts:.

Sally Todd
May 14th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Ágnes :inlove::bowdown::woohoo:!!!!!

This is so exciting, and she will be seeded at the French Open now :hearts:.

Yes, some good news for us hardcore or longtime Agnes fans. :D

This thread :o. I don't know who are worse, the posters who hate Azarenka or the Azarenka fans who are such bad sports about Agnes.

8 match points, net cord, yada yada yada, that's Agnes for you, and she still won -- suck on that.

Bad news for Vika. I hope she heals in time for RG but it's starting to look like a hardcourt champ who struggles on natural surfaces. Agnes could be the opposite.

rucolo
May 14th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Great win, Agnes!:yeah::D;)

Lucky last point for Agnes.:lol:

Vika:hug:

Win your QF match, Agnes!!!

Corswandt
May 15th, 2009, 12:00 AM
If I remember right French Open 2000 Seles vs Mauresmo. Monica won the match on a netcord. Amelie could only stand & watch it fall over the net.

ATP Miami 2006 final Fed d. Ljubicic.

Ljubo's comment afterwards: "It's just a different way to lose".

Azarenka could barely move, yet Szavay chivalrously refused to take advantage of it and just kept looping the ball up the middle of the court. :help:

Szavay needed it more, but of course this means all-pusher final.

Pasta-Na
May 15th, 2009, 12:31 AM
agnes :eek:

frenchie
May 15th, 2009, 12:37 AM

Azarenka could barely move, yet Szavay chivalrously refused to take advantage of it and just kept looping the ball up the middle of the court. :help:

Oh yeah there are only moonballers on Tour:rolleyes:

Bad pusher, Bad:mad:

iGOAT
May 15th, 2009, 12:44 AM

You call Safina, Alona Bondarenko, Szávay, and Mauresmo pushers? Okay then :scratch:. Even JJ and Schnyder are hardly pushers, and Dushevina IDK.

faboozadoo15
May 15th, 2009, 12:48 AM

Are you suggesting Szavay makes this final? :tape: Even her big fans take it one match at a time...
Or are you calling Mauresmo a pusher?

Safina's also pretty aggressive.

homogenius
May 15th, 2009, 12:52 AM
^^ lol I think Corswandt is expecting a Wozniacki vs Jelena final...

Spiritof42
May 15th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Vika had to retire twice last year (Rome, Eastbourne) because of that damn left knee. She seems injury prone, and that really worries me. :sad:

Leo_DFP
May 15th, 2009, 01:41 AM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Does this mean that Agi is officially out of her slump?

:lol: By beating Azarenka on clay? No.

Leo_DFP
May 15th, 2009, 01:45 AM
You call Safina, Alona Bondarenko, Szávay, and Mauresmo pushers? Okay then :scratch:. Even JJ and Schnyder are hardly pushers, and Dushevina IDK.

You have to admit, all of them DO have pusher tendencies/qualities to their game. That's why many of them are successful on clay more so than other surfaces. Of those players you listed, many of them have admitted to having to force themselves to be aggressive and swing out during matches. Safina is a much superior player when she's being aggressive and hitting the ball with conviction, not being a wimp.

But yes, the rest of the tourney will probably be a WTA-pusher fest. :o No more Azarenka, Venus, Dementieva, Kuznetsova, or Kleybanova. No more pure risk-takers.

iGOAT
May 15th, 2009, 02:51 AM
You have to admit, all of them DO have pusher tendencies/qualities to their game. That's why many of them are successful on clay more so than other surfaces. Of those players you listed, many of them have admitted to having to force themselves to be aggressive and swing out during matches. Safina is a much superior player when she's being aggressive and hitting the ball with conviction, not being a wimp.

But yes, the rest of the tourney will probably be a WTA-pusher fest. :o No more Azarenka, Venus, Dementieva, Kuznetsova, or Kleybanova. No more pure risk-takers.
You haven't seen Szávay play well then. I think she has been pushing in the slump, but usually her game is beautiful risky shots.

delicatecutter
May 15th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Szavay? A pusher? :spit:

She's only one of the most talented young players to come along the past couple of years. So happy she's in the quarters! :inlove:

sakya23
May 15th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Yes!!!! :)

Temperenka
May 15th, 2009, 05:10 AM
:sad: for Vika. I hope her knee is fine for the French!!!

Congrats Agnes, and good luck in the semis! :)

madlove
May 15th, 2009, 05:29 AM
good win for agnes

Corswandt
May 15th, 2009, 11:54 AM
^^ lol I think Corswandt is expecting a Wozniacki vs Jelena final...

Yes. It's not like I was being enigmatic.

Shvedbarilescu
May 15th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Actually I'd say the reason Safina is better on clay than on other surfaces is because she plays a more disciplined game on clay and doesn't make the kind of ridiculous errors that she did at the YEC or the Australian Open final. Obviously Safina needs to play with a degree of agression but her problems come more when she tries to force her shots too much rather than when she is too passive.

Juju Nostalgique
May 15th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Vika :weirdo: :hug: