PDA

View Full Version : Unseeded Threats for Roland Garros

smmash100
May 14th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Hi guys,

Was just wondering who you think are the top 10 unseeded threats to knock out a seed at this year's French Open. My choices would be:

1 Lisicki- Great year, future top 5 player IMO, if injury free, quaters are a realistic goal for her.

2 Hantuchova - v experienced, playing ok, threat to lower seeds but no futher than R4, I think..

3 Dokic - Been quiet of late, but can't ignore someone of her ball stricking ability. Another AO run possible?..

4 Sharapova - A threat just beacause of who she is, but 9 months out, coupled with clay courts don't bode well for a long run..

5 Szavay - Been underperforming for a long time now, but I sense she has her game back on track and wouldn't be surprised to see her do well

6 M J Martinez Sanchez - her ability to mix up the plays could drive more fancied players to distraction. Should be confident too after great run in Rome.

7 Vinci - very solid results on the clay this year. She has experience on her side and is overdue a good Grand Slam run..

8 Safarova - she is very good when in the zone, has the power and seems to be picking her game up of late..

9 A Bondarenko - horrid year, but having good week this week and is so steady on this surface, will be a threat to anyone not at the top of their game.

10 Dulko - Decent year, always a threat on dirt, but lack of power will prevent her taking out any of top 8.

Slutiana
May 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Agree.

And Polona Hercog if she can qualify. :inlove:

~Cherry*Blossom~
May 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Lisicki not seeded :eek:

FORZA SARITA
May 14th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Agree.

And Polona Hercog if she can qualify. :inlove:

:hearts::hearts::hearts:

A Magicman
May 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Grönefeld

Boomguy
May 14th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Anna Lena, Schiavone is a threat,

Daniel K
May 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah good list I'd add Vesnina as well.

Richie's
May 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
A. Bondarenko & Szavay will be seeded in my opinion after her QF run in Madrid.
Hantuchova can beat a seeded player to reach 3rd or 4th round with a huge of luck.
Sharapova will show what she can do in Warsaw but a 4th round is possible.
Safarova, Lisicki & Dokic will have their chances to 3rd round.
The others are unsure what they can do.

SvetaPleaseWin.
May 14th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Anne Keothavong. <3.

Alex03Maccy
May 14th, 2009, 12:52 PM
mel south

MyskinaManiac
May 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
You forgot Vesnina. She'd prolly trash all of them atm, except for probably Lisicki and Hantuchova.

bengt
May 14th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Watch out for Wickmayer, winner of the Estoril tournament...

Golovinjured.
May 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Zakopalova.

colt13
May 14th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Well about a month ago i said Suarez Navarro, Cornet and Kirilenko and they are all struggling.

Lisicki might be seeded. I assume that of the top 32, Sharapova uses the sr, and Srebotnik and Zvonareva are out. I think that leaves her 2 or 3 spots out, and with the roadmap, they are dropping like flies.

I don't think i have ever been more excited for a slam. Realistically, you normally pick one of the top 8, but literally anyone can win this.

Question-when was the last time a unseeded player won the French? Someone ranked below 16th?

SAEKeithSerena
May 14th, 2009, 01:51 PM
maria sharapova.

Uranus
May 14th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Good list.
I would add:
- Vesnina- consistent results all year long, defeating 5 top 20 players
- Makarova (if not seeded)- 2 WTA finals
- Schiavone- still has something in the bag, nice results at Premier events lately
- A. Bondarenko- seeing this week's results
- Groenefeld- Estoril SF, easy wins in Madrid until the close defeat to Petrova
- Wickmayer- Estoril winner, could be a threat for lower seeds, but she still has to win her first GS match after 4 attempts- her mental toughness will be a factor
- Czink, Yakimova- both have been struggling for years, keeping away from top 100 most of the time, but this year they seem to have found their best form again- they've defeated top 30 players on this surface this year
- Rezai- nice results on clay lately

Also:
- Vaidisova- God knows what can happen with her
- K. Bondarenko- dangerous opponent if she's on
- Sprem- awful loss in Rome, but she's had such a good year, every seeded player will need to be careful and playing well when meeting her

Temperenka
May 14th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Nicole Vaidisova should be added to the list. Even though she hasn't been playing that great lately, she made the semis here three years ago and also wasn't playing well before Wimbledon last year, where she made the QF.

She is always dangerous at slams.

toxina90
May 14th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Julia Vakulenko ;)

Convoluted
May 14th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Is injury seeded?

TTomek
May 14th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Lisicki
Petkovic
Rezai

:)

pwayne
May 14th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Carla Suarez Navarro

AnnaK_4ever
May 14th, 2009, 02:33 PM
ALWAYS UNSEEDED. FOREVER LOOMING.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k126/auersperg21/pratt.jpg

:worship:

MyskinaManiac
May 14th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Some peoples ideas for who's a threat is rather laughable. And I'm not talking about AnnaK_4ever's post.

Lachrymarum
May 14th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Alexandra Dulgheru if she plays and qualifies.

propi
May 14th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Carla will be seeded, with a bit of luck in the draw she may surprise again by winning a couple of rounds :)
I hope Nuria Llagostera can finally get herself together and upset some seeded whose natural surface might not be clay :)

gmak
May 14th, 2009, 04:21 PM
ALWAYS UNSEEDED. FOREVER LOOMING.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k126/auersperg21/pratt.jpg

:worship:

omg i was about to post Pratt's photo :lol: :lol: :lol: :rocker:

gmak
May 14th, 2009, 04:23 PM
vesnina
lisicki
a. bondarenko
makarova

OsloErik
May 14th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Lisicki and Szavay may be seeded, though. They're only around 100 points off with two events left, including this big week in Madrid. I think they are undoubtedly big threats for upsets or QF runs regardless of their location in the draw.

I'd go with Vesnina, Bondarenko, Dulko, and Cirstea for now, and I'll get some more opinions when I see the draw.

Vanity Bonfire
May 14th, 2009, 06:02 PM
How about Dushevina if she just doesn't play any seeds? At all!

TennisViewer531
May 14th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Bondarenko and Szavay are my bets..

starin
May 14th, 2009, 06:10 PM
From the OP's list I'd say Vinci and Dulko. Both have had some good wins and are veterans w/ steady games.

Lisicki is a player along the lines of Sprem, Safarova, Pierce, etc. I say she bombs early in RG only to make a stunnning run at one of the later slams this year or next.

Hurley
May 14th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Szavay is well into the seeds after today.

cherboy
May 14th, 2009, 06:49 PM
dokic :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

hellas719
May 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Paszek

SzavayFi
May 14th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Eeehhhh.

Dani might beat one of the bottom 16 seeds but she'll get karate chopped by anything higher.

Dokic, she is shitty on clay so nothing special from her here.

Anna-Lena, yeah she could totally do some damage for sure. I'd say she and Lisicki are the top dark horses.

Kirilenko... let's just get a good showing. Please. ;)

serenus_2k8
May 14th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Kirilenko isnt a threat IMO....

I guess Maria is the one everyone is looking out for in the draw, just because of the potential match ups she could create.

OsloErik
May 14th, 2009, 07:50 PM
- Schiavone- still has something in the bag, nice results at Premier events lately
- A. Bondarenko- seeing this week's results

Those two jump out at me especially. Bondarenko has been close to a top 10 quality player on clay for a couple years now. She's always got a golden clay season, and always looks awful in Paris. This year, she's peaking at a good time. She's been okay on clay, but this week she's really come to life. Her defense and the way she hits that backhand always make her a challenge for aggressive players. She could quite easily take out a big name Russian (she's already got a great record against Kuznetsova), or either of the Williams sisters. Schiavone, for contrast, has always had the flair for clay, but lacks the fortitude. She's a super-poor version of Justine Henin or Amelie Mauresmo, with a little Italian attitude thrown in. I'd love to see her do something big on clay, but her best years are behind her. Still, I wouldn't discount the possibility of an upset.

AnnaK_4ever
May 14th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Those two jump out at me especially. Bondarenko has been close to a top 10 quality player on clay for a couple years now.

Three wins over Kuznetsova doesn't make you top-10 worthy.

alexserbia
May 14th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Bondarenko and Szavay are probably the most dangerous on clay....

Golovinjured.
May 14th, 2009, 08:09 PM
dokic :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not funny. :(

Aryman3
May 14th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I would definitely add Urszula Radwanska. She just finished her exams and rested comes back to tennis full force

danieln1
May 15th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Any player mentioned can be way too dangerous for Amelie, so she better be on her feet straight away, and shake the demons from Philippe Chatrier off!!!

I want her to pass the quarters, this is one of her best chances!

monmonito
May 15th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Dani can beat lower seeded players for sure...
Lisicki can be a threat too..nice strokes
A.Bondarenko and Szavay are playing good just this week only..right...

OsloErik
May 21st, 2009, 06:29 AM
Three wins over Kuznetsova doesn't make you top-10 worthy.

Before the Roland Garros final, the last player to beat Safina on clay last year was Bondarenko. She simply doesn't go away on clay; in Petrova's best clay season, Bondarenko knocked off a bagel set against her. And it doesn't take a lot to be top-10 quality on clay ;)

Cp6uja
May 21st, 2009, 06:50 AM
All unseeded Roland Garros 2009 DARK HORSES are BLONDIES :tape: :tape: :tape: (Sharapova, Lisicki, A.Bondarenko, Vaidisova, Szavay, ALG, Dulko...)