PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still making the tired claim that the WTA is in great shape? Turn on your TV.

Slutiana
May 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM
In a 3,500 seater (or whatever it is) there's less than 20 people watching the Jankovic-Vesnina match. WTF? :tape: :help:

Alex03Maccy
May 14th, 2009, 12:36 PM
well neither player is a huge attraction. there was a big crowd for mauresmo v dementieva yesterday. and there is a big mens match on the main court.

Golovinjured.
May 14th, 2009, 12:41 PM
:bigcry::bigcry:

To be fair, Robredo is on the Manolo Santana court as we speak and that's not even that full and he's Spanish. If that counts for anything. :tears:

mure
May 14th, 2009, 12:48 PM
mods,why don't you please merge all the bitchin threads in one super "WTA bitchin thread"

Havin 5 new threads each day about how much the tour sucks or/and how emprty the stands are is rather boring :yawn:

The Dawntreader
May 14th, 2009, 12:52 PM
'The WTA sucks' threads are getting old.

Almost like people want the game to fail just so they can justify their words.

BTW, the clay-court season since Stuttgart to me, has been great tennis.

Dave.
May 14th, 2009, 12:57 PM

:yeah: as usual. These threads are sickening. :rolleyes:

As someone said, the ATP matches aren't even full. Understandable considering the current situation.

CloudAtlas
May 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Yesterday Mauresmo and Dementieva played to a packed court.

Keadz
May 14th, 2009, 12:59 PM
No womens tennis to be found on any channel on my T.V, consider yourself lucky.

Golovinjured.
May 14th, 2009, 01:02 PM
No womens tennis to be found on any channel on my T.V, consider yourself lucky.

It's okay, French Open is only 10 days away and we'll FINALLY get to see some live WTA. :inlove:

lilimi
May 14th, 2009, 01:05 PM

+1
even the Us clay court has been interesting to me.
It seems Madrid people are not tennis fans. or they're doing "siesta"... i've noticed there's more people later in the afternoon.

eck
May 14th, 2009, 01:05 PM
To be very fair, that court is always empty.

Alex03Maccy
May 14th, 2009, 01:06 PM
can't wait for the french. i think its very interesting that there is no clear favourite and any one of 10-12 players could win it.

Ziggy Starduck
May 14th, 2009, 01:13 PM
mods,why don't you please merge all the bitchin threads in one super "WTA bitchin thread"

Havin 5 new threads each day about how much the tour sucks or/and how emprty the stands are is rather boring :yawn:

And while the mods are doing that, can they also throw the 'can blah blah save the WTA' into one thread as well, the only thing that can save the WTA is *drumroll*........the WTA!

Keadz
May 14th, 2009, 01:13 PM
It's okay, French Open is only 10 days away and we'll FINALLY get to see some live WTA. :inlove:

Thank god I got Foxtel/Austar(:worship:), otherwise I wouldn't get to see the French. They usually do a good job of showing the Aussie players as well.:)

Slutiana
May 14th, 2009, 01:20 PM

Lol, trust me I dont want it to fail, I dont usually make these threads but I turned on my TV and did like a triple take at the amount of people watching the tennis. There are more people in my house right now. :tape:

And it may have been good tennis to people who are seeing their faves playing well and their least favourite players playing like shit. But apparently its not exciting enough to get bums on seats.
:yeah: as usual. These threads are sickening. :rolleyes:

As someone said, the ATP matches aren't even full. Understandable considering the current situation.
I understand what you're saying, and im not saying they have to be full or even half full, but LESS THAN 20 people watching a former world no.1 play tennis. The ball echoing throughout the empty stadium... Its just surreal :sobbing:

Can't wait until FO. :bounce:

Kipling
May 14th, 2009, 01:44 PM
well neither player is a huge attraction. there was a big crowd for mauresmo v dementieva yesterday. and there is a big mens match on the main court.

And you think those players are more of an attraction?

:help:

Look, to those who are complaining, the market isn't there right now for women's tennis. It doesn't matter who the players are. If it bothers you, go out to the tournaments and watch the players in person instead of bitching about it from your chair in front of your computer. Being there, cheering and participating is a lot more fun anyway.

~Cherry*Blossom~
May 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM
And you think those players are more of an attraction?

:help:

LMAO :haha: You actually think they aren't :haha: :rolls:

Alex03Maccy
May 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM
i'd much rather watch attacking tennis from elena and amelie than 'get every ball back jelena', so yes they are a bigger attraction.

rucolo
May 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM
The big problem for WTA are seriously injured Top players.:sad:
(And because of many injuries early retirements of Top players.)
Henin, Clijsters, Golovin retired too early!
Sharapova seriously injured!
Serena is really often injured!
Now Zvonareva out injured!

Imagine ATP without Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray!:help::tape:

Another important thing:
Today 6 matches on centre court:
4 mens matches, only 2 womens (and one womens match starting at 10am)!:rolleyes:

And it`s not the first day or combined tournament like this.
The persons who make these schedules: Go home!:weirdo:

No equality at all!:help: Simply pathetic.:rolleyes:

HRHoliviasmith
May 14th, 2009, 03:41 PM
all the gay people were watching Murray shaking his ass.

:lol:

Slutiana
May 14th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Golovin isnt retired. :tears:

Dini.
May 14th, 2009, 04:14 PM
The crowds have been very small/non existent for the Men's matches also. It's something Federer pointed out in his interview today. So really it's not a matter of WTA/ATP. It's a matter of disappointing atmosphere and crowds full stop.

ms_nut
May 14th, 2009, 04:18 PM
The scheduling wasn't very favorable either.. this court had a doubles match before it started. The men's match featuring Robredo-Murray on CC was already in progress....:shrug:

Alex03Maccy
May 14th, 2009, 04:21 PM
it also doesn't help that most of the top spanish women got knocked out very early. just checked that, 5 were in the main draw, 4 got knocked out in the first and one made it to the second round.

bobbynorwich
May 14th, 2009, 04:28 PM
It is disheartening to see so few fans at a Premier Mandatory event. However, the lucrative lower level box seats are probably sold-out, but their owners either aren't attending the early rounds or are watching on a different court. The higher up pay-per-day seats appear much more crowded than the lower ones at Madrid. If box seat holders really want to support tennis, they'd all give away their unused tickets to schools, clubs, charities, or friends just to fill the stands.

However, the WTA is actually in good financial shape now --- even though the full effects of the recession may lag behind several months (sponsors and ad revenue dropping). Further, the WTA is returning more money than ever to the players through its equal prize money, commitment bonuses, and incentives.

As Alex03Maccy posted earlier, it is very interesting now to have an open field for the French, with 10-12 possible winners. Imo, this depth is great for women's tennis rather than having one or two dominant superstars.

This was the point Martina stressed recently:Navratilova also insisted that, contrary to popular opinion, the women’s game is in good shape and that the large number of women challenging for every title is good for the sport.“People are more ready to criticise [the women’s game],” she added. “For example, when Chris [Evert] and I were dominating, people said there was not enough competition.“Now you have so many different grand slam winners, people are saying the sport does not have any superstars – what do you want?” http://www.tennishead.net/on-tour/reports/2009-05-13/navratilova-williams-sisters-should-play-moreThat said, the televising of womens' tennis is abysmal. The Tennis Channel is showing no WTA matches, but 10+ hours daily of the ATP's. Tennis TV carries many more men's than women's matches --- right this minute it's not showing either the Safina-Safarova or Azarenka-Szavay match, but is covering 3 mens'. ESPN and CBS when they do bother to broadcast the GSs slant it towards the men too. I wish the WTA would take all the forfeited player bonus and commitment monies at the end of the year and put in a 'tv pool' to buy more coverage for the women in the following year. More tennis on tv would give a nice boost to the womens' tour.

Golovinjured.
May 14th, 2009, 04:28 PM
LOL.. top spanish women :haha:

Alex03Maccy
May 14th, 2009, 04:35 PM
i agree, the televising is dire. at this tourn, there has been either only 1 or 2 matches shown whilst the men have hours of coverage on sky sports.

Williamsser
May 14th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Women do not deserve equal pay.

Sharapowerr
May 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Sharapova and Clijsters will bring back the level as it was a couple of years ago , now with the 3 latest number one s , it really shows how the wta is doing

Poova
May 14th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Step the fuck down from your soapbox, Tuti :weirdo: Gosh.

canuckfan
May 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Blame the spaniards staying home. Not the WTA.

propi
May 14th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Well, people have to work, you know :p
I'm sure the weekend will show a very different face; Madrid tournament used to have pretty nice numbers, so did the Master during these two years :)

Talula
May 14th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Agreed.

vadin124
May 14th, 2009, 05:38 PM
some of you people are seriously on the wrong forum!

this is a forum which is supposed to be for fans of the women's tennis tour, NOT for those who choose to constantly put it down...

if your opinion is such that the women's tour sucks, then go join Menstennisforum, and if you already have done that, then stay there!

the state of the tour is perfectly fine, Safina is No.1, and everything is all good...

we don't need you so-called "fans" dissing the tour which we want to support all the time, since we like it whether there are 10 potential GOATS active or whether there are 0...well that's how I feel anyway, and I will continue to feel this way as long as Marion remains active

so please people, although my little input will fall on deaf ears, give the mindless pointless WTA bashing a break, it's a waste of everybody's time, since last time I checked nowhere in the link of this forum reads "hatewtatennisforum.com"

bye.

Alex03Maccy
May 14th, 2009, 05:42 PM
i too think the tour is in a good state with all the competition, at least it's interesting unlike the men's tour where only 3 people ever win anything.

Golovinjured.
May 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM

:hearts:

Where you been at?

Slutiana
May 14th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I just wanted to bring you back. :inlove:And it worked. Where have you been? :tears:

Hurley
May 14th, 2009, 06:25 PM
all the gay people were watching Murray shaking his ass.

In a Murray/Robredo match, you think the gays were watching the ass of MURRAY? :speakles:

Fail.

Matt01
May 14th, 2009, 06:45 PM
some of you people are seriously on the wrong forum!

this is a forum which is supposed to be for fans of the women's tennis tour, NOT for those who choose to constantly put it down...

if your opinion is such that the women's tour sucks, then go join Menstennisforum, and if you already have done that, then stay there!

the state of the tour is perfectly fine, Safina is No.1, and everything is all good...

we don't need you so-called "fans" dissing the tour which we want to support all the time, since we like it whether there are 10 potential GOATS active or whether there are 0...well that's how I feel anyway, and I will continue to feel this way as long as Marion remains active

Very good post overall but let's not get overboard when saying the tour "is all good" because there are still several things that could and should be improved. But fact is that the WTA is in a much better state than lots of people here are making it out to be.

Another important thing:
Today 6 matches on centre court:
4 mens matches, only 2 womens (and one womens match starting at 10am)!:rolleyes:

And it`s not the first day or combined tournament like this.
The persons who make these schedules: Go home!:weirdo:

I agree. This is a big problem. In the combined events like Madrid, the women are often treated as "2nd class citizens" and are there to make the tournament more attractive when in factthe main tournament mostly revolves around the men's event. When there are only 2 WTA matches out of 6 are on the Centrecourt then there is definately something wrong and the WTA should intervene IMO.

In a Murray/Robredo match, you think the gays were watching the ass of MURRAY? :speakles:

Fail.

Well, I can't speak for everyone but I'd definately watch Robredo :lol:

Hurley
May 14th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Well, I can't speak for everyone but I'd definately watch Robredo :lol:

Only weirdly jingoistic British gays would ogle Murray's ass over Robredo's :help:

Robredo doesn't look nearly as good as he did in his heyday but his ass is still in fine form :drool:

TennisViewer531
May 14th, 2009, 06:55 PM
WTA is in great shape..

HRHoliviasmith
May 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Only weirdly jingoistic British gays would ogle Murray's ass over Robredo's :help:

Robredo doesn't look nearly as good as he did in his heyday but his ass is still in fine form :drool:

I agree. :drool:

DutchieGirl
May 14th, 2009, 10:03 PM
And for the most part they don't get it. :p

SIN DIOS NI LEY
May 14th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Dementieva vs Wozniacki in Miami was packed

At the same time Del Mugtro vs Mugsarevic totally empty on center court :D

LUVMIRZA
May 14th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I was watching Dinara's match against Li and Momo vs Elena , there were good crowd in both these matches:shrug: Also I was watching Seppi/Novak match for some time, its such a boring match. Seems like two grinders...both plays 20-25 same shots backhand to backhand..... Lordddd:yawn:. WTA is much better. I think the thread starter should crawl back into his ugly hole where he crawled out from:o

KoOlMaNsEaN
May 14th, 2009, 10:20 PM
The 2nd court is usually empty this week even for mens matches

The Daviator
May 14th, 2009, 10:20 PM
The tired claim is that the WTA is in shit shape :yawn:

Stop moaning, and just enjoy the game as it is, and if you can't then stop watching.

Craig.
May 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM
This tournament has just been :tape: The crowd, the stadium, the matches, the upsets. Everything.

Slutiana
May 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I was watching Dinara's match against Li and Momo vs Elena , there were good crowd in both these matches:shrug: Also I was watching Seppi/Novak match for some time, its such a boring match. Like two grinders, Lordddd:yawn:. WTA is much better. I think the thread starter should crawl back into his ugly hole where he crawled out from:o
I live in a beautiful house, thank you very much. I was simply commenting on the fact that there were less than 20 people watching. And you're a bit late on the speech, people have already said that and I have explained myself and we have all moved on. So in other words, STFU.

LUVMIRZA
May 14th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I live in a beautiful house, thank you very much. I was simply commenting on the fact that there were less than 20 people watching. And you're a bit late on the speech, people have already said that and I have explained myself and we have all moved on. So in other words, STFU.

:lol: Oh poor, I have not read the thread completely,seems like so many've pounced upon u:lol:

Slutiana
May 14th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Well they, like you are all pretty dumb considering people keep on saying "stop watching then". I never said the tennis or tournament is bad, simply that it is baaad that the YE no.1 can only attract 17 or so people to her match. Get your facts right next time.

Alvarillo
May 14th, 2009, 10:51 PM
yesterday night, more than 10.000 people were watching Safina vs Li, just a 2nd Round

is bad shape? is madrid not having fans in the stands?

the point is that in Madrid people go to tennis in the evening, the evening matches (not neccesary the night sessions) have more fans in the stands, look Dementieva-Mauresmo, or i was the other day in Mauresmo-Zheng and also with a lot of people.

add that men's tennis is more popular here, that we don't have top spanish players in the WTA, and add that is the first year of a combined event here, let the city to get tradition and to get in touch with the WTA.
when the YEC was played in Madrid it was a total success.

Last week in Rome was worse, stands empty also in the evening sessions and not too many people in the final!

Craig.
May 14th, 2009, 10:59 PM
yesterday night, more than 10.000 people were watching Safina vs Li, just a 2nd Round

is bad shape? is madrid not having fans in the stands?

the point is that in Madrid people go to tennis in the evening, the evening matches (not neccesary the night sessions) have more fans in the stands, look Dementieva-Mauresmo, or i was the other day in Mauresmo-Zheng and also with a lot of people.

add that men's tennis is more popular here, that we don't have top spanish players in the WTA, and add that is the first year of a combined event here, let the city to get tradition and to get in touch with the WTA.
when the YEC was played in Madrid it was a total success.

Last week in Rome was worse, stands empty also in the evening sessions and not too many people in the final!

That is very true. The atmosphere was just electric.

Slutiana
May 14th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Agreed.

Golovinjured.
May 15th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Alvarillo is HOT!

Slutiana
May 15th, 2009, 12:28 AM
who?