PDA

View Full Version : Too many Premier events in succession on red clay?

StephenUK
May 13th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Do you think there have been too many Premier events in succession this red clay season, especially with the extra pressure on top players to attend, especially Madrid?

In the past, players would often decide on Berlin or Rome but this year, it seems like most of the top 10 have had to play week after week. This week in Madrid has been full of tired performances and defeats and Warsaw next week apparently only has 3 top 35 players entered so hardly deserves Premier Status.

What do you think? Has the Roadmap got a bit lost this clay season or not? How should they change it for next year?

G1Player2
May 13th, 2009, 11:41 PM
This could be true because Sveta certainly looked tired in her match.

AnnaK_4ever
May 13th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Hamburg (Warsaw since 2003), German Open, Italian Open have been held on consecutive weeks since early 1990s :shrug:

alwayshingis
May 13th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Yeah, it's really only two tournaments in a row on red clay that they have to play (Rome and Madrid). Many players also elected to play Stuttgart, but that was optional - so they obviously wanted the matches.

Matt01
May 13th, 2009, 11:48 PM
I think there should be a week of rest between Warsaw and RG, or between Warsaw and Madrid. Or maybe better would be a Madrid tourney over 10-14 days and then Warsaw and then RG after that.

Hamburg (Warsaw since 2003), German Open, Italian Open have been held on consecutive weeks since early 1990s :shrug:

And how many of them were mandatory? :shrug:

goldenlox
May 13th, 2009, 11:49 PM
They had Berlin and Rome. Now it's Rome and Madrid.
It was crazy to have a green clay Tier I

Lunaris
May 14th, 2009, 12:08 AM
And how many of them were mandatory? :shrug:
I think Stuttgart is also more popular with the players than Warsaw or Berlin and not just because of the Porsche. Rome has been one of the most prestigious non-Slam tournaments since like ever. Not many girls want to miss either of these two, whilst missing Warsaw or maybe even Berlin was not a big deal imo.

Kart
May 14th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I think it's a good thing.

They should all be playing the big clay season tournaments if they're fit enough to.

CoolDude7
May 14th, 2009, 12:24 AM
this is what serena was talking about, but no one wanted to believe her. Players often want to play certain events, now they have to turn around and play more events or be fined. This doesn't do anything but decrease the quality of play. The players will just put in a half-butt performance, lose and go back home.

GracefulVenus
May 14th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I actually like the new calendar, making Stuttgart an indoor clay event :drool: But the fact that there is a mandatory event after Stuttgart and Rome kind of seems a bit much. I'm loving the competition though, especially from the younger players. Kind of making things interesting on the dirt.

RenaSlam.
May 14th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Obviously.

Direwolf
May 14th, 2009, 04:23 AM
you dont have to play 3 weeks in a rome!!

these players are given options to choose...
how many 3 setters Kuzzie had compared to Safina??

Direwolf
May 14th, 2009, 04:23 AM
anyways.. these wta players are getting lazier n lazier...
you seldom see a chubby guy on court...
if the guys are working their ass off to get good results
so must the gurls

Ryan
May 14th, 2009, 04:29 AM
If you can't play three weeks in a row, which probably amounts for most players to 8-10 matches....:tape: Women's tennis would deserve better.

NoChokes
May 14th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Yep too much too many.

Serena needs time to design dresses and practice her lines for Hollywood.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
May 14th, 2009, 06:40 AM
The north-american season on hard needs to be shortened (Indian Wells and Miami)

ivanban
May 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM
It was about time for WTA to enforce this mandatory tournaments. I mean, it's their job to play. They chosen to do sports and not some other job. Even if there are 3 mandatory events in a row, player's aren't playing every day.
Can you imagine someone who works as a doctor or a clerk or whatever saying "OMG, I must work every week. We should work only 2 weeks max in one month. Otherwise, I'll just show up at work and pretend to do my job!" :cuckoo:

Why should anyone be interested then in organizing tournament if they know that barely any top player would show up or even if they come they'll just tank their match.
No wonder there is often so few spectators :shrug:

sakya23
May 14th, 2009, 03:08 PM
remove Warsaw and have Stuttgart- Rome- Madrid only.

frenchie
May 14th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Well players are not forced to play Stuttgart and Warsaw
They don't even have to play Rome too

the roadmap is fine

homogenius
May 14th, 2009, 03:14 PM
It's good like that (and not really different than the past 20 years).

AnnaK_4ever
May 14th, 2009, 03:15 PM
remove Warsaw and have Stuttgart- Rome- Madrid only.

Warsaw is a MM tournament just like Strasbourg.

frenchie
May 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Warsaw is a MM tournament just like Strasbourg.

Warsaws a premier event I think:confused:

the entry list is MM though

AnnaK_4ever
May 14th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Warsaws a premier event I think:confused:

the entry list is MM though

You are right :eek:

And the winner will get the same amount of points as Dementieva at Sydney, Mauresmo at Paris Indoors and Kuznetsova at Stuttgart :help:

frenchie
May 14th, 2009, 03:42 PM
You are right :eek:

And the winner will get the same amount of points as Dementieva at Sydney, Mauresmo at Paris Indoors and Kuznetsova at Stuttgart :help:

It was upgraded when the wta changed his spot in the calendar;)

Matt01
May 14th, 2009, 06:15 PM

Correct. And that is ridiculous and that is why the calendar should be changed.

frenchie
May 14th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Correct. And that is ridiculous and that is why the calendar should be changed.

What is the link between the amount of points for the winner and the calendar???:confused::rolleyes:

Dodoboy.
May 14th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Clay season NEEDS to be shortened! The women play their best tennis on grass and they only play for like 4 weeks! I mean come OOOON :crying: Let's get some more tournaments in England!

Matt01
May 14th, 2009, 06:20 PM
What is the link between the amount of points for the winner and the calendar???:confused::rolleyes:

:weirdo:

frenchie
May 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Clay season NEEDS to be shortened! The women play their best tennis on grass and they only play for like 4 weeks! I mean come OOOON :crying: Let's get some more tournaments in England!

:confused:

Most of them hate grass!

Matt01

You're joking, right?

TheBoiledEgg

more like get rid of 50% of the hard courts

AndreConrad
May 14th, 2009, 06:43 PM

:confused:

Most of them hate grass!

:lol:... glad we all are one one page ;)
on serious note the important tournaments (obligatory or not) seem to be bunched up. Rules aside the schedule could be better thought through.

Dodoboy.
May 14th, 2009, 06:44 PM
The Women = Venus :angel:

goldenlox
May 14th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I don't care what surface they play on. HC is probably the toughest on their feet, but clay has longer points.
Maybe grass is the safest. It used to be 3 majors

AndreConrad
May 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
The Women = Venus :angel:
:lol:, how about Beyonce, Caroline?.... Venus is quite fit and doesn't look that there is more than one of her ;)

TennisViewer531
May 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
More Premier events, more money-making opportunities for players. I can't understand why they have to complain..

Dawn Marie
May 14th, 2009, 06:52 PM
The problem is the road map is geared for not so popular tournaments while the players play at the tourneys that are more fun for them. All the players will do is choose to play where they want and then withdraw from a tourney that they are forced to play at. Players have the ability to maintain a level that is fit for them. They know when to retire and when to play.

Personally, I think it's wise to not play so soon before the French Open. Give yourself 2 weeks before RG. Rg is a grueling slam to win. CONSERVE energy.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
May 14th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Indian Wells should begin on Monday , the Final being played 10 days later (Wednesday) and the next day Thursday, the beginning of Miami til the next Sunday

Both tournament played in 3 weeks

Williamsser
May 14th, 2009, 09:03 PM

Split the tour into two, one in American hard courts, the other in European clay.

HRHoliviasmith
May 14th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Indian Wells should begin on Monday , the Final being played 10 days later (Wednesday) and the next day Thursday, the beginning of Miami til the next Sunday

Both tournament played in 3 weeks

Sin Dios Ni Ley = future WTA chairman/ceo :inlove:

GeeTee
May 15th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Do you think there have been too many Premier events in succession this red clay season, especially with the extra pressure on top players to attend, especially Madrid?

What do you think? Has the Roadmap got a bit lost this clay season or not? How should they change it for next year?

Err too many??? You mean TWO in a row....

As opposed to the last twenty odd years where we had German and Italian back to back.... and now this year it's much harder cos it's Italian and Madrid instead...:confused:

Matt01
May 15th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Err too many??? You mean TWO in a row....

As opposed to the last twenty odd years where we had German and Italian back to back.... and now this year it's much harder cos it's Italian and Madrid instead...:confused:

Not much harder, but it is harder now since all Top players have to play Madrid and at least 7 out of 10 Top Ten players have to play Rome. Before 2009, the rules were not as strict.