PDA

View Full Version : Madrid Qualifying draw is up

quickfound
May 7th, 2009, 06:54 PM
The q draw is up here (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/global/Pdfs/events/2009/madrid_draws.pdf).

Top seed is #43 Makarova.

16th is #89 Amanmuradova.

Jorn
May 7th, 2009, 06:57 PM
But Makarova and Groenefeld will play tomorrow in Estoril?

quickfound
May 7th, 2009, 06:59 PM
But Makarova and Groenefeld will play tomorrow in Estoril?
Yep. So they might have to revise the draw.

But they are not dumb. Makarova and Groenefeld are both scheduled to play their quallies not before 5pm.

Makarova and Groenefeld play at 11:15am in Estoril. Estoril to Madrid is a little over 300 miles.

Jorn
May 7th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Su-Wei HSIEH (TPE) play still in Rome.

alwayshingis
May 7th, 2009, 07:08 PM
But they are not dumb. Makarova and Groenefeld are both scheduled to play their quallies not before 5pm.

They do this just to have them on the OOP. The loser of their Estoril SF will have her match moved to the next day and will play two Q matches in one day. The winner will withdraw and be replaced by an alternate in Madrid.

Jorn
May 7th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I has been thinking about post in the Entry List topic and can't remember any player playing in two places (2 cities) in the same day, but I can have missed any tourny? (From since 1999 where I start to care about tennis...)

Jorn
May 7th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Quali Draw:

1 (1)MAKAROVA, Ekaterina RUS vs. (wc)BOGDAN, Ana ROU
2 DITTY, Julie USA vs (16)AMANMURADOVA, Akgul UZB

3 (2)VINCI, Roberta ITA vs. (wc)COMPOSTIZODE ANDRES, Eloisa ESP
4 HSIEH, Su-Wei TPE vs. (10)DECHY, Nathalie FRA

5 (3)VESNINA, Elena RUS vs. (wc)CAMPOS-MOLINA, Yera ESP
6 SANTANGELO, Mara ITA vs. (15) MORITA, Ayumi JPN

7 (17)VOSKOBOEVA, Galina KAZ vs. MIRZA, Sania IND
8 DUQUE MARINO, Mariana COL vs. (12)GARBIN, Tathiana ITA

9 (5)GROENEFELD, Anna-Lena GER vs. PIN, Camille FRA
10 LARCHERDE BRITO, Michelle POR vs. (11)GOVORTSOVA, Olga BLR

11 (6)DUSHEVINA, Vera RUS vs. DIATCHENKO, Vitalia RUS
12 KING, Vania USA vs (9)BONDARENKO, Kateryna UKR

13 (7)VAIDISOVA, Nicole CZE vs REZAI, Aravane FRA
14 CRAYBAS, Jill USA vs. (14)ZAHLAVOVA STRYCOVA, Barbora CZE

15 (8)PASZEK, Tamira AUT vs. LEPCHENKO, Varvara USA
16 (wc)FONDEVILA CASTRO, Paula ESP vs. (13)KUDRYAVTSEVA, Alla RUS

quickfound
May 7th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I has been thinking about post in the Entry List topic and can't remember any player playing in two places (2 cities) in the same day, but I can have missed any tourny? (From since 1999 where I start to care about tennis...)
I don't expect them to play in two cities on the same day.
But I do recall once noticing, offhandedly, "Hey, she played at city X this morning, and she hustled over and is now playing at city Y this afternoon." I think it might have been Nuria, but I don't recall for sure.
Unfortunately, I did not make a note of it, because several folks seem to think it is impossible.

Obviously, the usual thing is for them to play 2 quallies in one day.

Jorn, do you happen to know who pulled out of the MD to make room for Niculescu?

Sherbi
May 7th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Ouch, tough draw for Ana Bogdan, unless ... Makarova withdraws...

danjn
May 7th, 2009, 07:58 PM

I may be mistaken but I remember last year in Dubai Agi Radwanska beat Bally in qualies (6-1 6-2) - Agi had lost to Sharapova earlier that the day in the Semis in Doha (3-6 4-6)... I think the date was 23rd Feb (Saturday). Not much distance between these places I guess.... Only time I've ever seen someone play twice in different cities in one day....

zveeen
May 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
good luck to

DECHY
MORITA
MIRZA
GROENEFELD
KING

TheBoiledEgg
May 7th, 2009, 08:53 PM
hopefully Katya can win her semi

good luck to

1 (1)MAKAROVA, Ekaterina RUS
5 (3)VESNINA, Elena RUS
MIRZA, Sania IND
(11)GOVORTSOVA, Olga BLR
11 (6)DUSHEVINA, Vera RUS
(9)BONDARENKO, Kateryna UKR

13 (7)VAIDISOVA, Nicole CZE
(14)ZAHLAVOVA STRYCOVA, Barbora CZE
(13)KUDRYAVTSEVA, Alla RUS

Ballbasher
May 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I may be mistaken but I remember last year in Dubai Agi Radwanska beat Bally in qualies (6-1 6-2) - Agi had lost to Sharapova earlier that the day in the Semis in Doha (3-6 4-6)... I think the date was 23rd Feb (Saturday). Not much distance between these places I guess.... Only time I've ever seen someone play twice in different cities in one day....
No Radwanska played two matches on Sunday then ;)
The loser of the SF will most likely play her match(es) on Saturday, too ;) Unless she really plays two matches in two different cities in one day ;)
The sole example I can think of is when Surbiton finalists Schultz-McCarthy and Morita both played their final and then went to Birmingham to play their first Q match ;)

Makarova,Groenefeld,Hsieh & Diatchenko all have to play one match tomorrow and one will be replaced by another alt for sure ;)

bbypk
May 7th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Pauliña!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):)

Kipling
May 7th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Good luck Tamira and Aravane!

Protoss
May 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM
What time tomorrow does the main draw come out?

HAOCHEN-GOAT
May 7th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I've a question.

If Su-Wei Hsieh loses tomorrow in Rome doubles, will they move her match to Sunday? (like u said with Makarova's match...)

sakya23
May 7th, 2009, 11:32 PM
good luck ditty and vania king!

JOCHEBEL
May 7th, 2009, 11:50 PM
GOOD LUCK TO MARA SANTANGELO :D

Ballbasher
May 8th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I've a question.

If Su-Wei Hsieh loses tomorrow in Rome doubles, will they move her match to Sunday? (like u said with Makarova's match...)
They normally do, so I think yes :shrug:

Привет
May 8th, 2009, 06:33 AM
No Radwanska played two matches on Sunday then ;)
The loser of the SF will most likely play her match(es) on Saturday, too ;) Unless she really plays two matches in two different cities in one day ;)
The sole example I can think of is when Surbiton finalists Schultz-McCarthy and Morita both played their final and then went to Birmingham to play their first Q match ;)

Makarova,Groenefeld,Hsieh & Diatchenko all have to play one match tomorrow and one will be replaced by another alt for sure ;)

Diatchenko is already an alternate... :unsure: :lol: So will they get an alternate for an alternate? :rolls: Her match against Dushevina is a night match though... :shrug:

Jorn
May 8th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hsieh Will pull out as she play in Rome doubles Finale.

hu2891601
May 8th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Has the play for qualifying started? I don't see anything on SB, but it's 12:45pm local time already?

Sexysova
May 8th, 2009, 11:48 AM
yeah.. it's weird.. it sucks probably :o

AdeyC
May 8th, 2009, 01:20 PM

Brenda Schultz-McCarthy won the Surbiton title in the morning and then went to Birmingham in the afternoon to play in the qualifying two years ago.

icicle
May 9th, 2009, 12:43 AM

At the ITF level, I remember that in summer 2006 Lina Stanciute played a doubles final at 50K Petange, Luxembourg, in the morning, while in the afternoon she was already playing singles qualies at 50K Baden-Baden, Germany. Too bad she lost both matches on that day.

Don't remember any such example at the WTA level, though.