PDA

View Full Version : NCAA team brackets - 2009

gouci
Apr 28th, 2009, 10:37 PM
The sites and pairings have been announced!

NCAA team brackets (http://www.itatennis.com/Assets/ita_assets/img/NCAA+2009/09+W+Team+Bracket.pdf)

gouci
Apr 28th, 2009, 11:06 PM
#41 Pepperdine vs #31 Texas

#42 Princeton vs #29 Florida International

#38 Denver vs #21 Mississippi

#58 Sacramento St. vs #17 Michigan :scratch:

gouci
Apr 28th, 2009, 11:32 PM
This is a rematch from last year where LSU defeated Long Beach St. 6-1 on the road.

SINGLES
1. #8 Megan Falcon, LSU def. Hannah Grady, LBSU 7-6, 3-6, 6-3
2. Mykala Hedberg, LSU def. Deborah Armstrong, LBSU 6-4, 6-0
3. Tiffany Tucker, LSU def. Stephanie Bengson, LBSU, 6-4, 6-2
4. Nicole Kantor, LSU def. Stephanie Jeanes, LBSU 4-6, 7-6, 7-5
5. Hannah Robinson, LSU def. Jessica Weeks, LBSU 6-3, 7-5
6. Staten Spencer, LSU def. Lisa Sutton, LBSU 6-0, 6-3

DOUBLES
1. Bengson/Grady, LBSU def. Tucker/Falcon, LSU 8-3
2. #30 Spencer/Hedberg, LSU def. Jeanes/Weeks, LBSU 8-6
3. Armstrong/Lisa Sutton, LBSU def. Anastaslya Dubova/Robinson, LSU, 2-1, retired

LSU has 5 of 6 players from last year playing in the rematch while LBS has 4 of 7 players back.

tennis_pIayer
Apr 28th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I see Kal upsetting NW in rd of 16. also see stanford upsetting baylor. Duke against miai will be big! the winner going to final. USc against Georgia is good. remath that Georgia won first 4-3 but i see Sc winning this time arond
1/4:
Kal against NW
Sanford against Notre dae
Duke aginst iai
Sc aginst georgia
1/2: Kal against stanford
Duke against Sc
Kal against Duke for final

form
Apr 29th, 2009, 12:21 AM
ACTUALLY LB IS WITHOUT THEIR 2, 4 AND 5 FROM LAST YEAR... LSU RETURNS 1,2,3,5 AND 6. LSU HEAVILY FAVORED. (note: Weeks is out of NCAA's; LB's ex # 5 from last year who has not played singles this year)

FIU should lose but I don't know much about Princeton... Ivy not good... but FIU lost to 56 Irvine and should have lost to 50 LB had they not choked up against the stack (FIU 1 playing LB 2, FIU 5 playing LB 1 conceding, etc...) FIU coach jockey's her line up so illegally... will depend what they let her get away with. FIU IS THE MOST OVERRATED TEAM IN THE NATION thanks to her line up looking like a Vegas Keno game. :bounce::fiery:

Texas will win... Pepp lost to SDSU and was about to lose to LB if LB's # 4 doesn't face plant the grandstand in warm ups... she's 20-3 this year. LB ended up dropping the match 4-3 but had to slide 5, 6 and a rarely used injured 7 into the line up. Conceded far to much at the bottom. Pepp will lose.

Sac State v Michigan is the exactly correct seed.... Michigan is the HIGHEST RANKED # 2 seed and Sac State is the LOWEST RANKED # 3 seed. That is actually correct.

Now that I see they have changed travel rule.... when that eliminated a 5th California regional, they move this match elsewhere.

Fresno at Illinois is a bit more perplexing. Why wasn't Fresno sent to Michigan instead. That is where the 16-17 match up is supposed to play? :scratch::cuckoo:

form
Apr 29th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Tennis_player.... I can't argue any of that. Upper mid west teams tend to struggle outdoors. And Cal is just coming healthy so vastly underrated. Georgia-USC maybe.... but I can work with your predictions.

tennis_pIayer
Apr 29th, 2009, 01:45 AM
why do ethey struggle so? the wind? the sun? the speed?

croat123
Apr 29th, 2009, 04:55 PM
umiami has a decent shot of causing some upsets late in the tournament imo

form
Apr 29th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Indoor tennis is much different. The surface, the sound, the weather/wind. Massively different feel. That is why you see snow belt teams take those long spring break trips to get their outdoor games going. And huge advantage to an indoor team facing a typically outdoor team indoors.

Note how the ITA Indoors often is not an indicator of the NCAA's winner.

johnnytennis
Apr 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM
#41 Pepperdine vs #31 Texas

#42 Princeton vs #29 Florida International

#38 Denver vs #21 Mississippi

#58 Sacramento St. vs #17 Michigan :scratch:

Wow! It's obvious, most that post here are pretty west coast bias on the teams they are pulling for. All three of the above will lose to the better ranked team. In regards to Michigan being upset by Sac. State, thats a ridiculous pick and not worth even commenting on.

form
Apr 29th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Not sure I see where someone said Mich would lose to Sac State.... ND yes but no way Sac State

FIU I've seen... over rated

Pepp I've seen... will likely lose though Texas is not a lot either

Denver is really good... took a tough conference loss without their # 1 so under ranked

johnnytennis
Apr 29th, 2009, 08:43 PM
look at the 2nd post

form
Apr 29th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Same guy that thought # 90 in doubles gets you into tourney and a number of other no clue predictions. No worries....

But Michigan got royally screwed by this seeding... they should be seeing Fresno in second round... and they would win that match.

johnnytennis
Apr 29th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Same guy that thought # 90 in doubles gets you into tourney and a number of other no clue predictions. No worries....

But Michigan got royally screwed by this seeding... they should be seeing Fresno in second round... and they would win that match.

You are so correct! Since when does a 17th ranked play a 5th ranked team in the same regional. Normally they will go with a 17 against a 14 or 15. I am sure Notre Dame isn't happy about it either. Michigan in their last 2 matches against them have either beaten Notre Dame or lost to them 4-3 in a 3 set tiebreaker earlier in the season at Notre Dame. The 2 schools are 2 1/2 hours away from each other so it was the almighty buck that put them in the same bracket to save a couple cents!

gouci
Apr 30th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Wow! It's obvious, most that post here are pretty west coast bias on the teams they are pulling for. All three of the above will lose to the better ranked team. In regards to Michigan being upset by Sac. State, thats a ridiculous pick and not worth even commenting on.
johnnytennis the title of my post says potential 1st round upsets not predicted 1st round upsets. I was just pointing out some of the 1st round matches between teams that I think are likely evenly matched. It's going to be fun to follow the outcome of those matches and see if an upset results.

My post has nothing to do with west coast bias and has more to do with myself knowing a little about half of those teams listed and being knowledgeable on match results.

johnnytennis how many of those 8 teams did you have a chance to see in person? Well the team I follow, UC Irvine played FIU, Denver, Sac. St. and Pepperdine this season.

1. Texas did lose to William and Mary 3-4, a team Pepperdine defeated 5-2.

2. FIU did lose to #56 UCI and #67 Marshall so its not out of the question they can lose to #42 Princeton.

3. Denver has good doubles + good singles 4-6 and I think matches up well against a top of the line-up heavy Mississippi.

4. With Michigan I was just wondering which Sac. St. team will they get? The banged up version of Sac. St. that lost 0-7 to #60 San Diego or the healthy version that upset #32 Washington. Thinking about the line-ups Sac. St. is good in doubles and has 2 aces at the top of their line-up. If healthy they matchup not too badly against Michigan.

johnnytennis
Apr 30th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Looking at the right side of the brackets, the host teams definitely got the easier draws then the left side. Tennessee can sleepwalk though their matches. Same with Arkansas. These teams seeded 10 and 14 got easier draws then some of the top seeds. Thats why I think the NCAA did'nt do a good job this year putting these draws together. It was all about location! The only possible upsets I see in the regional's are North Carolina over Clemson, Vanderbilt over Fresno State, Arizona State over UCLA and Michigan over Notre Dame(see post 14 for explanation).

tennis_pIayer
May 6th, 2009, 12:56 PM
florida st will beat florida for sure!

johnnytennis
May 8th, 2009, 06:04 AM
My picks and upsets for the Women's NCAA's

In the regional's: I see 3 possible upsets:
Vanderbilt over Fresno State: Fresno St struggled to beat Boise St in their WAC conference championship and Vanderbilt is more war tested playing in the SEC.
Florida State over Florida: Florida State beat Florida earlier this Spring and I think they will win in a very good match.
Michigan over Notre Dame: Michigan and Notre Dame have split their last two matches. This year Notre Dame beat Michigan 4-3 in a very close match at Notre Dame that could have gone either way.

In the Quarters:
In the first quarter, Northwestern has been #1 all year and I think will knock off Cal.
In the second quarter, I think Baylor is the strongest and will win.
In the third quarter, I think Miami will beat Duke in a close match.
In the fourth quarter, I think Georgia will beat USC.

In the Semis:
I'm picking Baylor to upset Northwestern and Georgia to beat Miami both matches being close.

In the Finals:
I'm picking Georgia to beat Baylor in finals

form
May 8th, 2009, 03:17 PM
USC will dump sooner... Niculescu is out for some NCAA reason so they lose their # 4 singles and a super good doubles pairing... ouch

form
May 8th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Predicted Texas would handle Pepperdine (who should have lost to LB had someone not got hurt in warm ups)

Princeton fell short against the 'chess pieces' known as FIU. Utterly amazing that line up (love how the girl that played # 1 vs LB is at # 5 now. hmmmmmm)

Denver ended with a thud. Thought they were better than that.

Sac State posts some points of Michigan... their mid season injury screwed up a good chunk of the west coast rankings (UCI, SDSU, USD, UA) ... That match could be very good for Michigan though as they get an excellent tune up for ND ... who got a light work out vs UIC

My match to watch tomorrow is ASU vs UNLV.... ASU is two completely different teams. At home on the slowest courts every built (almost as slow as clay) they are tough. On the road, not so much. UNLV is likely not deep enough but you never know with ASU having to play on faster courts. Just a thought.

johnnytennis
May 9th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Predicted Texas would handle Pepperdine (who should have lost to LB had someone not got hurt in warm ups)

Princeton fell short against the 'chess pieces' known as FIU. Utterly amazing that line up (love how the girl that played # 1 vs LB is at # 5 now. hmmmmmm)

Denver ended with a thud. Thought they were better than that.

Sac State posts some points of Michigan... their mid season injury screwed up a good chunk of the west coast rankings (UCI, SDSU, USD, UA) ... That match could be very good for Michigan though as they get an excellent tune up for ND ... who got a light work out vs UIC

My match to watch tomorrow is ASU vs UNLV.... ASU is two completely different teams. At home on the slowest courts every built (almost as slow as clay) they are tough. On the road, not so much. UNLV is likely not deep enough but you never know with ASU having to play on faster courts. Just a thought.

Form, you are so right about Arizona State's courts. They are actually the worst courts in the country to play on. More sprained ankles and knees from visiting players there then anywhere else. I know many players that have complained about the surface. If you have ever played on them you will know what I mean.

johnnytennis
May 9th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Players at Princeton women's team should be so embarrased! So many blue chip players on this team and they play like 3-star players. Coach should be replaced for doing such a poor with all the talent they have.

gouci
May 9th, 2009, 07:41 PM
1. Falcon (LSU) def. 6-1, 6-2
2. Hedberg (LSU) def. Manasse DNF
3. Wolf (LSU) def. Armstrong 6-3, 6-3
4. Kantor (LSU) leading Dallara 6-4, 5-2
5. Robinson (LSU) leading Luzar 6-3, 3-1
6. Spencer (LSU) def. Sutton 6-3, 6-1

1. Falcon/Hedberg (LSU) def. Armstrong/Sutton 8-0
2. Dallara/Manasse (LBS) def. 8-6
3. Kantor/Spencer (LSU) def. Grady/Luzar 9-8

Wow LSU just DESTROYED Long Beach St. :eek::eek::eek:

Long Beach St. tried to sandbag LSU. Grady who has played 70 career matches at #1 doubles was switched to #3 doubles. It almost worked but didn't. :nerner: :lol:

But as good as Grady was she couldn't overcome the mistakes of Luzar. Grady would win most of the points while Luzar would make most of the errors. :lol:
1. Luzar was serving 7-7 and was broken thanks in part to Luzar serving 3 double faults in 1 game. :haha:
2. After 8-8 they played a tie-breaker which LSU won 8-6 thanks largely to at least 3 unforced errors Luzar made. OUCH! :crazy: :hysteric: :drink:

Tennisace
May 9th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Cal is going to need to show its singles strength, dropping the doubles point to Texas. I know Texas has injuries to their number one, but I can't understand why they underperformed so much this year. I expected them to me much better this year. It'll be interesting if they could put it together when Ellis joins them next year.

johnnytennis
May 9th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Illinois upsets Vanderbilt 4-3. Went down to 3 set tie breaker

jlk561
May 10th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Way to go Fighting Irish! Great Job!! I'm glad johnnytennis missed this pick.
Great win for Illinois against Vandy!!
Great coaching on both teams!!!

form
May 10th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Gouci... destroyed, really?

Ok, keep dreamin.

Jealous eh? he he he he he he he..

Tennisace
May 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Washington bounces USC, 7-6 in the third at the top court to win 4-3. Kudos for Washington who took advantage, but really USC has underperformed for two years now.

tucker1989
May 10th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Huge shocker there for USC, but Washington has a solid team this year. Really sad for Fink in her senior season, though, so I hope she can put together nice performances in singles and doubles. Where was Niculescu for this round and the last match? With her the Trojans surely would have won. I'm sad, but I'm also relieved that Georgia's path to the semi's is now substantially easier.

tennis_pIayer
May 10th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Huge shocker there for USC, but Washington has a solid team this year. Really sad for Fink in her senior season, though, so I hope she can put together nice performances in singles and doubles. Where was Niculescu for this round and the last match? With her the Trojans surely would have won. I'm sad, but I'm also relieved that Georgia's path to the semi's is now substantially easier.
Niculescu is suspended from the team b/c she was using the team phone to make tons of calls to romania, thousands of dollars worth over the past year and half. this was found during an audit. What a great person. give her a college scholarship, free schooling, board, food, etc, and she takes full advantage and doesn't let anyone down. Pathetic. even at the #1, usc could've won as she was up 5-2 1 break, but the wash #1 is too steely. ramos really laid a bomb in her match at #4 as the talent level coming out of hs is so much higher from her. USC underperforms every year b/c the coach is not good

gouci
May 11th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Niculescu is suspended from the team b/c she was using the team phone to make tons of calls to romania, thousands of dollars worth over the past year and half. this was found during an audit.
Last year the operating budget for USC's women's tennis was about $293,000. UCLA and Stanford were only around $175,00. It all makes sense now. :haha:

Tennisace
May 11th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Does that mean Fink is out of NCAA doubles as well? Her partner is Niculescu.

darrinbaker00
May 11th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Cal is going to need to show its singles strength, dropping the doubles point to Texas. I know Texas has injuries to their number one, but I can't understand why they underperformed so much this year. I expected them to me much better this year. It'll be interesting if they could put it together when Ellis joins them next year.
I was there yesterday, Tennisace, and Cal's singles lineup is pretty solid from top to bottom. If Jana Juricova ever gets in shape, she WILL win the NCAA singles championship before she graduates.

barboza
May 11th, 2009, 05:01 PM
You all are underestimating Stanford.. I think they can make a run here - apparently, they were really, really sharp against No. 25 LSU. I think that Duke has a very strong lineup this year and they'll reach final four at least. UCLA and USC will be up there if they can get themselves together.

form
May 11th, 2009, 05:10 PM
USC dumped.... they did not make the Sweet 16.... lost to UW

UCLA is massively overrated... and if they were playing Remynse at #1 they'd be even less likely to advance. UCLA dumps in first round.

Georgia & Duke are my picks.

barboza
May 11th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Wow, sucks for USC to lose so early, seeing that they won PAC10 title.. they also lost to UC Irvine in the NCAA title matches in women's water polo and men's volleyball against UCLA and UC Irvine respectively this past weekend.

UCLA lost two really good players, Riza Zalameda and Tracy Lin. Both UCLA and USC are playing at the same level in terms of strength.

What happened to Niculescu? I know she made overseas calls using the team phone, but isn't it really stupid of the coach to not let her play because of that? I think that they could have avoided NCAA compliance and worked something else out..

Tennisace
May 11th, 2009, 08:17 PM
It looks like Fink/Niculescu are out of doubles. There were two pullouts although I can't confirm who as Cossou/Ilcinkas are now in the doubles main draw (they were second on the alternates list, Bek/Hadziselimovic are also in).

form
May 11th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Niculescu is a huge NCAA violation... HUGE... she has big eligibility issues and school could face sanctions for letting kids use school phones. Added benefit violation is a big one the NCAA does not take lightly too. They should hope they don't have to vacate their other wins and Pac10 title too.

And every student athlete is made aware of those kinds of violations every year and not to do them. So this one was no choice for USC.

Question will be what future changes/sanctions all the USC sports may face if kids had access to school phones for private use. Big boner.

johnnytennis
May 12th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Niculescu is a huge NCAA violation... HUGE... she has big eligibility issues and school could face sanctions for letting kids use school phones. Added benefit violation is a big one the NCAA does not take lightly too. They should hope they don't have to vacate their other wins and Pac10 title too.

And every student athlete is made aware of those kinds of violations every year and not to do them. So this one was no choice for USC.

Question will be what future changes/sanctions all the USC sports may face if kids had access to school phones for private use. Big boner.

She should be thrown off the team. She new what the rules were and violated them anyways!

form
May 12th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Rumor has it that may have already happened. Question is what happens to USC per 'how does a Student/Athlete get that kind of access and repeated access without getting caught?'

Tennisace
May 13th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Rumor has it that may have already happened. Question is what happens to USC per 'how does a Student/Athlete get that kind of access and repeated access without getting caught?'

Will USC lose her scholarship (i.e. have to play with seven next year) or can they bring in an additional recruit to take her place?

form
May 13th, 2009, 04:32 PM
They should be able to replace. Danielle Lao has committed for a year from now (taking a year off)... or Allie Will is still listing USC as an option.... or ? USC never ever lacks for options. The SoCal kids alone line up 20 deep.

UFGatorFan
May 13th, 2009, 11:03 PM
I've been critical of Thornqvist all season, but I was impressed with the way his team stepped up this weekend. Credit to those players for playing through injuries and tough times this season to get the team to College Station. Boonstra is just at another level this season, tremendous improvement from her to be so successful at #1. Mather and Alexander have come so far from the start of the season and Revzina keeps battling through injuries and is really trying. I think they kind of relish being the underdog, something Florida historically has rarely been.

Memo to FSU, when you beat a team for the first time in 49 tries, don't get so cocky. The UF players used the FSU blogs as serious motivation. FSU was blogging about Gainesville just being a stop on the way to College Station and how friends and family weren't coming to Gainesville, they'd see the players in College Station. Interesting how the blogs stopped once they lost.

gouci
May 13th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Can you please post a link to these blogs?

taevaughn
May 13th, 2009, 11:32 PM
i think it's these blogs - http://www.ncaa.com/sports/w-tennis/ncaa-w-tennis-body.html

taevaughn
May 13th, 2009, 11:35 PM
actually its these - http://www.ncaa.com/blog/index.html

UFGatorFan
May 13th, 2009, 11:53 PM
The blogs are from the FSU site, titled Journey to College Station. Here's a link to them:
http://www.seminoles.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/fsu/sports/w-tennis/auto_pdf/Diary1 (http://www.seminoles.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/fsu/sports/w-tennis/auto_pdf/Diary2)
http://www.seminoles.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/fsu/sports/w-tennis/auto_pdf/Diary2
http://www.seminoles.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/fsu/sports/w-tennis/auto_pdf/Diary3

Some excerpts:
I wish my whole family could come, but they are going to come
when we go to College Station, Texas next week. YAY!

Everyone is thrilled to go out there and we are more than ready for tomorrow. We are the
better team.

The whole team is so fired up to play tomorrow and
make history again by beating the gators at home and make it into the Sweet 16!

Great to be confident, but I don't know why you'd want to give Florida added bulletin board material.
From the UF paper:
The Gators found even more motivation in a Seminoles team blog that had Linder Stadium as a pit stop to the Sweet 16.
“Certainly, they beat us two months ago, but we’ve won 67 straight matches at home and, frankly, beaten much better teams than the one we played today during the streak,” Thornqvist said. “Maybe it gave us a little bit of an edge knowing that they simply had Gainesville as a stopping point on their way to College Station.”

tucker1989
May 15th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Thrilled that Georgia was able to avenge their regular season loss to Florida with a 4-2 win today. I'd really love to see the potential Georgia/Duke semifinal clash, which I bet would be really exciting.

I'm also a little surprised at the ease with which South Carolina beat Washington, but they seemed to just match up really well, and the other three matches were all in close third sets.

Looking forward to the other half of the draw now

johnnytennis
May 16th, 2009, 03:13 AM
what a mess in College Station Texas! How do you lose all your power? Their live scoring and video has been eratic alot today.

darrinbaker00
May 16th, 2009, 05:20 AM
http://www.calbears.com/sports/w-tennis/recaps/051509aaa.html

Cal beat Georgia Tech 5-0 to advance to the quarters. Next up is top-seeded Northwestern. ROLL ON YOU BEARS! :bounce:

tennis_pIayer
May 16th, 2009, 08:09 AM
baylor beats stanford 4-3. only 1 pa10 left. sad. USc should be there giing georgia a run for its $$$ but stupid niulescu had to ruin it

desariofan
May 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I've been critical of Thornqvist all season, but I was impressed with the way his team stepped up this weekend. Credit to those players for playing through injuries and tough times this season to get the team to College Station. Boonstra is just at another level this season, tremendous improvement from her to be so successful at #1. Mather and Alexander have come so far from the start of the season and Revzina keeps battling through injuries and is really trying. I think they kind of relish being the underdog, something Florida historically has rarely been.

Memo to FSU, when you beat a team for the first time in 49 tries, don't get so cocky. The UF players used the FSU blogs as serious motivation. FSU was blogging about Gainesville just being a stop on the way to College Station and how friends and family weren't coming to Gainesville, they'd see the players in College Station. Interesting how the blogs stopped once they lost.

I didn't know how shallow the FSU girls were...

Getting back to UF tennis... The girls have done a tremendous job at making it to the sweet 16, albeit lost to UGA... in a close match no less. I really thought that they could have pulled it together.

It's so frustrating to see UF going down year after year with injuries, transfers, and other problems. Really still can't figure out why Cohen left UF for Miami... Next season will hopefully be brighter with the 2 new highly ranked girls joining the team.

It's been a while since UF won the Nationals (2003). The gap of winning it has been way too long. It's time that Thorquist get it together and get the program back on top again.

Zerena

taevaughn
May 16th, 2009, 09:55 AM
my bad about the blogs :o

form
May 18th, 2009, 04:05 AM
I told you.... indoor teams never win nationals... it is a completely different game

Cal 4, # 1 Northwestern 2

I'm not saying NW is bad.. they are talented... but the indoor teams rarely (almost never) make final four. Outdoor game plays different, sounds different and is different..... similar to ASU's slow courts, indoor courts typically rocket fast with weird sound. And ALL major titles are outdoors. Major disadvantage. Maybe that could be a recruiting tool?

Tennisace
May 18th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I told you.... indoor teams never win nationals... it is a completely different game

Cal 4, # 1 Northwestern 2

I'm not saying NW is bad.. they are talented... but the indoor teams rarely (almost never) make final four. Outdoor game plays different, sounds different and is different..... similar to ASU's slow courts, indoor courts typically rocket fast with weird sound. And ALL major titles are outdoors. Major disadvantage. Maybe that could be a recruiting tool?

I was concerned after Ghazal turned the tide on Bobusic at No. 4. Northwestern had a chance to change the momentum of the match but Cossou and Andersson were able to prevent that. Hopefully Cal can recover for tomorrow's match against Notre Dame. But Georgia/Duke is the favorite for the title.

tucker1989
May 18th, 2009, 04:30 AM
I'm similarly not surprised at Cal taking down NW again. Since Duke beat NW indoors in Evanston, I've had suspicions about them really being the favorites for this title, and that came through today. They have a deep line-up, but like you say, indoors and outdoors are very different. Looking forward to Cal/Notre Dame and especially Georgia/Duke. Cecil/Gullickson should be one heck of a match, as both girls have been playing their butts off recently.

desariofan
May 18th, 2009, 05:21 AM
And to think that UF came close to beating UGA...
Frustrating!!
UGA go win it for the SEC pride!
Actually... No!

johnnytennis
May 18th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I'm similarly not surprised at Cal taking down NW again. Since Duke beat NW indoors in Evanston, I've had suspicions about them really being the favorites for this title, and that came through today. They have a deep line-up, but like you say, indoors and outdoors are very different. Looking forward to Cal/Notre Dame and especially Georgia/Duke. Cecil/Gullickson should be one heck of a match, as both girls have been playing their butts off recently.

I cant believe all the blind sided people on this board. Northwestern lost because their No.1 player and No 1 in the country didn't play doubles and they had to shuffle their lineup. They lost the doubles point because she was obviously ill and played singles to take one for the team. Listening to you Californians talk about Northwestern being a indoor team is absolute garbage. Cal will get beat on their next round, trust me! They are no better then an 8th seen and were lucky enough to get Northwestern when their top player was down. Wake up people and smell the roses!!!!

tucker1989
May 18th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I cant believe all the blind sided people on this board. Northwestern lost because their No.1 player and No 1 in the country didn't play doubles and they had to shuffle their lineup. They lost the doubles point because she was obviously ill and played singles to take one for the team. Listening to you Californians talk about Northwestern being a indoor team is absolute garbage. Cal will get beat on their next round, trust me! They are no better then an 8th seen and were lucky enough to get Northwestern when their top player was down. Wake up people and smell the roses!!!!

#35 Cossou/Ilcinkas (Cal) def. #29 Mosolova/Robison (NU), 9-8 (5) :rolleyes:

I'm not from California either

johnnytennis
May 18th, 2009, 06:55 AM
#35 Cossou/Ilcinkas (Cal) def. #29 Mosolova/Robison (NU), 9-8 (5) :rolleyes:

I'm not from California either

I watched the match online and the live scoreboard said Chernyakova/Robison playing No.2 doubles so I assumed she sat out doubles and figured it was a health issue. I saw Mosolova play singles and it was probably her worst match of the year so I assumed she wasn't right and that was the reason she didnt play doubles.
If you are right, I guess it wouldn't surprise me because the host, Texas A&M has had so many incorect names all day long on their boards. If she played doubles then I will take back what I said and give Cal credit for winning with NW at full strength.

Tennisace
May 18th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I think the problem with Northwestern this year is they didn't have a tough enough team schedule due in part to the relative weakness of their conference. Yes, they played and defeated a lot of good teams at the Indoors and scheduled good teams (which they beat) after the indoors but basically after the month of February they don't face a lot of competition (they did play Fresno State outdoors, William and Mary indoors, and Notre Dame indoors).

It looks like NW switches to outdoors at the beginning of April. I know a couple years ago (2007) NW took spring break to Cal. They need to do this more if they can. The ACC, SEC, and Pac-10 are all getting tough outdoor competition in April. Based on their schedule, NW only played against one top team outdoors that being Fresno State. Scheduling might be out of NW's hands but if they haven't already they should look into opting out of some conference matches a la William and Mary (they don't play everyone in their conference because I assume the matches would be way too lopsided).

NW had a lot of talent this year and it will probably be a couple years until they are NCAA contenders again. NW loses rocks in Rose and Ghazal. I don't see Murray really succeeding at No. 2 and moving Lui up to No. 3 would be challenging for her. Lui is a very strong No. 4 and that is where should stay. So one of the freshmen need to play at No. 2.

iPatty
May 18th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Duke into the final with a 5-2 victory over Georgia. :worship: Nze and Zslinszka finished at almost exactly the same time to hand Duke the win. So funny to see Reka actually winning these matches, her matches are pure entertainment with her moonballs. Very surprised she was able to unseat Gilchrist today.

form
May 19th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Cal 4-2 over ND

If this line up can't win, than who can?

# 1 Juricova ... age 21 frosh, WTA #223, $25,000+ pre college prize money
# 3 Andersson ... age 22 soph (sat a year penalty), $25,000+ pre college prize money

Not quite the record money of Widjaja but top 5 all time on the women's side

tucker1989
May 19th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Pulling for Duke tomorrow, but I have a feeling that Cal's amazingly deep team will take it. Anyways, I look forward to watching it on ESPNU

Amalgamate
May 19th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Duke into the final with a 5-2 victory over Georgia. :worship: Nze and Zslinszka finished at almost exactly the same time to hand Duke the win. So funny to see Reka actually winning these matches, her matches are pure entertainment with her moonballs. Very surprised she was able to unseat Gilchrist today.

:spit: Reka is absolutely ridiculous! It's unbelievable how she is still winning!
I am pretty apathetic about the match tomorrow :sad:

iPatty
May 19th, 2009, 11:32 AM
What makes it even better is her crazy mom yelling out in the middle of points and saying "GOOD JOB REEEKKKAAA!!!!" whenever her opponent makes a crazy error off of a moonball. I spend most of my time watching her matches just for comic relief.

tucker1989
May 19th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Reka is definitely a mooballing queen, but what I'm most impressed with about her game is her mental fortitude. She never looks at all panicked, treats every point like it's match point, and absorbs pace beautifully. Her game is simple and sometimes painful to watch, but it definitely works, haha

iPatty
May 19th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Zsilnszka/Nze at #3? :unsure: Seems a bit strange, they have played #2 all season. Will be funny to see Robinson completely out of her league since she can barely hang in at #3.

barboza
May 20th, 2009, 01:54 AM
How can I watch the video? I keep clicking the scoreboard but nothing happens..

iPatty
May 20th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Duke wins with a 4-0 sweep! :bowdown:

Fitting that the match was won with two seniors finishing just a minute apart, with a big Mang forehand clinching the title. All of them were so excited to win, great feeling for the two seniors to go out with a bang. Cecil, Nze, Zsilinszka, and Granson will all be back next year so if they can pick up a solid #5 I think we could have a repeat on our hands.

UFGatorFan
May 20th, 2009, 02:20 AM
What is the status of Tara Iyer? Will she be back next year for Duke? They get Plotkin back as well. Not sure who they have coming in, but with what they return, should be one of the favorites to win. I thought for sure Cal would win a close match, never expected Duke to just blow them away like that. Very impressed with Duke, Jamie finally has a title.

darrinbaker00
May 20th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Always the bridesmaid, never the bride..... :sad:

mboyle
May 20th, 2009, 04:52 AM
What is the status of Tara Iyer? Will she be back next year for Duke? They get Plotkin back as well. Not sure who they have coming in, but with what they return, should be one of the favorites to win. I thought for sure Cal would win a close match, never expected Duke to just blow them away like that. Very impressed with Duke, Jamie finally has a title.

Heyy alll I am SOOOOO PUMPED! I am going to be a junior next year, and Reka and Ellah are actually two of my really good friends. We lived together last year and have dinner and stuff all the time. Ellah's actually dating one of my best friends haha! Anyway, Tara Iyer is graduating and not returning. I think she just didn't get along with the rest of the team. As of right now, unfortunately, there just isn't anyone lined up, but we are getting Liz Plotkin back, who was top thirty before she got injured, and should make a really solid player, most likely at 4 or 5.

Jamie (the coach) feels pretty confident that he can get a couple of girls this summer, but his recruiting strategy has always been to go after Blue Chippers only. Julia Cohen was actually all set to transfer and had given her commitment, but her grades weren't good enough to get in apparently (but Mallory wasn't going to come if Julia came, and I think I'd rather have Mallory haha). Irina Falconi is also really good friends with Ellah in particular Reka less so, and really really wanted to come to Duke, but Jamie completely dropped the ball and didn't send her recruiting info or something like that, so she had to go to Georgia Tech instead.

Gahh I'm so happy!

mboyle
May 20th, 2009, 04:53 AM
Also, keep in mind Jessi Robinson was never even recruited to play singles. She only played because Liz got injured. For her to have as good a season as she did is really something special. I know Reka and Amanda were both really struggling with injuries the last month or so but had to keep playing because we only had exactly six players. All in all these girls just showed incredible heart and talent and they have made my school proud! All our facebook statuses are like all about them right now haha!

mboyle
May 20th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Zsilnszka/Nze at #3? :unsure: Seems a bit strange, they have played #2 all season. Will be funny to see Robinson completely out of her league since she can barely hang in at #3.

Reka and Ellah have always played 3 actually. Jessie is really good at doubles as well. Also, she's paired with Mallory, who in my opinion is the best college player in the country and definitely one of the favorites for the individual competition.

mboyle
May 20th, 2009, 04:56 AM
What makes it even better is her crazy mom yelling out in the middle of points and saying "GOOD JOB REEEKKKAAA!!!!" whenever her opponent makes a crazy error off of a moonball. I spend most of my time watching her matches just for comic relief.

I love Reka's mom haha!

mboyle
May 20th, 2009, 04:58 AM

Reka almost never loses duel matches. It is hard for her to beat the top ten players because they are all consistent enough to put away winners, but generally there aren't more than one or two players per team capable of doing that. Also, it's funny because if you watch Reka practice, she can smack the ball almost as hard as Mallory. She just chooses to hold back because she knows most opponents at the college level will break down and make errors.

form
May 20th, 2009, 05:45 AM
You have my curiousity. Reka is MVP as Duke wins national title and Reka destroys pro Andersson. Those must be NASA moon balls... but so so many college players hate to play a push game.

mboyle
May 20th, 2009, 06:49 AM
You have my curiousity. Reka is MVP as Duke wins national title and Reka destroys pro Andersson. Those must be NASA moon balls... but so so many college players hate to play a push game.

I think Reka is more like Wozniacki. She'll hit a winner if the opportunity presents itself, but she doesn't go for it unless it's a sure thing.

desariofan
May 20th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Heyy alll I am SOOOOO PUMPED! I am going to be a junior next year, and Reka and Ellah are actually two of my really good friends. We lived together last year and have dinner and stuff all the time. Ellah's actually dating one of my best friends haha! Anyway, Tara Iyer is graduating and not returning. I think she just didn't get along with the rest of the team. As of right now, unfortunately, there just isn't anyone lined up, but we are getting Liz Plotkin back, who was top thirty before she got injured, and should make a really solid player, most likely at 4 or 5.

Jamie (the coach) feels pretty confident that he can get a couple of girls this summer, but his recruiting strategy has always been to go after Blue Chippers only. Julia Cohen was actually all set to transfer and had given her commitment, but her grades weren't good enough to get in apparently (but Mallory wasn't going to come if Julia came, and I think I'd rather have Mallory haha). Irina Falconi is also really good friends with Ellah in particular Reka less so, and really really wanted to come to Duke, but Jamie completely dropped the ball and didn't send her recruiting info or something like that, so she had to go to Georgia Tech instead.

Gahh I'm so happy!

Is that the reason why Julia Cohen transferred out to Miami from UF because of her grades?? If that then I can understand.

tennis_pIayer
May 20th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I'm totally suprised that Duke won so easily....beating georgia and Cal. I was for sure that Cal was going to win teh title. Anyone know how Mallory Cecil plays>???

mboyle
May 20th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I'm totally suprised that Duke won so easily....beating georgia and Cal. I was for sure that Cal was going to win teh title. Anyone know how Mallory Cecil plays>???

Mallory Cecil beat Virginie Razzano at Pilot Pen last year. Everyone thought she was just going to go pro. She has a sweet, sweet backhand, like WTA top twenty caliber. Her forehand isn't good enough right now for the WTA in my opinion but is still one of the top ten or so in college, I'd bet. Her serve is well placed but isn't overwhelmingly powerful. In general, she is a power baseliner, with hard and flat shots off both wings.

tucker1989
May 20th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Watched and was totally impressed with Duke, especially Cecil. The only players I've watched this year who could beat Cecil playing as well as she did yesterday are Gullickson and Mosolova. Most importantly, she is in fantastic shape, allowing her to track down a bunch of shots that Juricova thought would be winners. She hits with solid pace off both wings and anticipates very well. Her game is actually a lot like Chelsey's with a little less power and a little better movement, in my opinion. The Duke girls seem to have great chemistry as a team and were just solid up and down, job very well done.

Tough for call, but with a lot of these players returning, they'll have a great shot again next year

barboza
May 21st, 2009, 03:37 AM
Where are you all watching the matches? Links? Thanks.

Btw, most of these girls can't transition properly into WTA because they love playing moonballs and they don't dare to go for lines.

tucker1989
May 21st, 2009, 04:03 AM

Btw, most of these girls can't transition properly into WTA because they love playing moonballs and they don't dare to go for lines.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/ncaa2009/tennis/

Just click Live Stats tomorrow morning starting at 10 EST and you can pick from all 12 courts

Of the top players at the moment, the ones who have the best prospects for ITF and WTA success are the ones who have already experienced it, in my opinion, like Cecil, Jurikova, Andersson, Gullickson, etc. They play games most resembling the complete games of the pros

Amalgamate
May 21st, 2009, 06:24 AM

Reka is going to go pro, I have never seen her moonball :hearts: But in all seriousness, there are quite a few girls out there who go for the lines...perhaps a little too much. Tucker mentioned them previously.

barboza
May 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM
http://www.aggieathletics.com/ncaa2009/tennis/

Just click Live Stats tomorrow morning starting at 10 EST and you can pick from all 12 courts

Of the top players at the moment, the ones who have the best prospects for ITF and WTA success are the ones who have already experienced it, in my opinion, like Cecil, Jurikova, Andersson, Gullickson, etc. They play games most resembling the complete games of the pros

Thanks I got the videos to work after installing silverlight :) I love how the videos have sound -- the online webcams on stanford's website do not have sound.

Reka is going to go pro, I have never seen her moonball :hearts: But in all seriousness, there are quite a few girls out there who go for the lines...perhaps a little too much. Tucker mentioned them previously.

I think these girls just need to play pro matches as much as possible to gain experience. Look at Amber Liu or Betthanie Mattek.. they were both really good collegiate players, but never transitioned well. Other examples include Laura Granville and Marissa Irvin, who have both been inconsistent.

barboza
May 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Congrats to Duke by the way.. I heard that when Virginia played them, the Virginia girls showed a lot of potential. Is that true?

mboyle
May 22nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks I got the videos to work after installing silverlight :) I love how the videos have sound -- the online webcams on stanford's website do not have sound.

I think these girls just need to play pro matches as much as possible to gain experience. Look at Amber Liu or Betthanie Mattek.. they were both really good collegiate players, but never transitioned well. Other examples include Laura Granville and Marissa Irvin, who have both been inconsistent.

All the girls you mentioned except Amber have had very solid pro careers. If you are playing college, you're just not going to win grand slams or even be top twenty. The last time that happened was Lisa Raymond.

Also, to the person who said Reka's going to go pro, she actually wants to be a doctor, and has a 3.76 GPA (and Pre-Med at Duke is haaaarsh let me tell you).

To the person who talked about Virginia, they didn't seem all that impressive when I saw them, but of course by the time they played Duke in the NCAAs, they had played twice before already, and thus were probably more familiar with the Duke players' games, so maybe they seemed impressive?

Amalgamate
May 22nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
All the girls you mentioned except Amber have had very solid pro careers. If you are playing college, you're just not going to win grand slams or even be top twenty. The last time that happened was Lisa Raymond.

Also, to the person who said Reka's going to go pro, she actually wants to be a doctor, and has a 3.76 GPA (and Pre-Med at Duke is haaaarsh let me tell you).

To the person who talked about Virginia, they didn't seem all that impressive when I saw them, but of course by the time they played Duke in the NCAAs, they had played twice before already, and thus were probably more familiar with the Duke players' games, so maybe they seemed impressive?

:lol: I was kidding about Reka going pro. But good for her for keeping her academics up and wanting to be a doctor :yeah: