PDA

View Full Version : How to boot your computer in MS-DOS ?

youizahoe
Apr 25th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Hi yall, I want to like upgrade my bios, but I need to boot in Command Prompt (ms-dos). I've tried v6.22 but that didn't work since it didn't find my drives... Now I was wondering if anyone knows which image to use and burn on cd, to boot ms-dos from there with recognition of my HDD.

Got Windows 7 Ultimate [RC] + Windows Vista Ultimate + Windows 2005 Media Center & Windows XP Professional SP3, running on my system... My Bios is Phoenix v1.1 ...

I'm seriously hoping someone can help me, I'm going crazy cause nothing works :p

Sally Struthers
Apr 25th, 2009, 02:36 AM
restart your computer, press and hold F8. you'll get onscreen instructions from there

youizahoe
Apr 25th, 2009, 02:37 AM
restart your computer, press and hold F8. you'll get onscreen instructions from there

Already tried, it just gives me startup options like safe mode and stuff, but nothing about command prompt :(

Sally Struthers
Apr 25th, 2009, 02:40 AM
hmm.. have you looked for a utility at phoenix or your motherboard manufacturer?

youizahoe
Apr 25th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Yeah, it's really the worst provider of bios, there's nothing on their site, and they have malware on it :sobbing:

Sally Struthers
Apr 25th, 2009, 02:45 AM
who makes your motherboard?

youizahoe
Apr 25th, 2009, 02:47 AM
MSI ... version ms7318 ... I can't even find info about it, it's from 2007 :sobbing:

Sally Struthers
Apr 25th, 2009, 02:53 AM
where did you find the new bios?

Sally Struthers
Apr 25th, 2009, 02:57 AM
it looks like an OEM model motherboard. Look on your computer manufacturer's website

youizahoe
Apr 25th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I got the new bios of my computer manufracturer website. I was able to get into ms dos, but now the update exe file wasn't accepted by ms dos, while it's the version I got from my computer manufracturer :(

youizahoe
Apr 25th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Ugh, I decided to let the computer dude do it himself, since dos doesn't want to lol

Thnx for the help ^^

Scotso
Apr 25th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Hi yall, I want to like upgrade my bios, but I need to boot in Command Prompt (ms-dos). I've tried v6.22 but that didn't work since it didn't find my drives... Now I was wondering if anyone knows which image to use and burn on cd, to boot ms-dos from there with recognition of my HDD.

Got Windows 7 Ultimate [RC] + Windows Vista Ultimate + Windows 2005 Media Center & Windows XP Professional SP3, running on my system... My Bios is Phoenix v1.1 ...

I'm seriously hoping someone can help me, I'm going crazy cause nothing works :p

http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm#71

1. When formatting a floppy diskette, users have the option of creating a MS-DOS startup disk, follow the below steps to do this.

2. Place diskette in the computer.

3. Open My Computer, right-click the A: drive and click Format.

4. In the Format window, check Create an MS-DOS startup disk.

Expat
Apr 25th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Start ---> Run --> Type cmd. You should get DOS
Then navigate to the folder where you have the bios file and run it.
Can't understand why you would need to run it from DOS though. Just run in MS DOS mode in XP or Vista

youizahoe
Apr 25th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Start ---> Run --> Type cmd. You should get DOS
Then navigate to the folder where you have the bios file and run it.
Can't understand why you would need to run it from DOS though. Just run in MS DOS mode in XP or Vista

Wouldn't that risk your bios getting messed up? All sites say you need to do ms dos when booting up?

youizahoe
Apr 25th, 2009, 04:05 AM
http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm#71

Tried all, but i don't have a diskette reader, I should get one again, it's so usefull these days :sobbing: