PDA

View Full Version : What's the best equipment for ab exercises?

Justin
Apr 21st, 2009, 03:41 AM
Hey-

About 10 years ago, I bought an ab thing called "perfect abs." They were huge back then and a few different companies made them, so they have a bunch of different names. Tons of people said they did not work and a bunch of people also swore by them. Fortunately, I was in the latter group. It was just a thing that had a cushion for your head and it had a bar thing on the top that you use to hold and to give yourself a little support with each crunch. I had mine in storage for a few years and I just took it out a few weeks ago. But, last night, I broke the f'ing thing. I am pissed. I tried to crazy glue the part that broke off, but it's no use. Anyway, I was thinking of getting something else cause I imagine there are a bunch of other stuff out these days. Now, it seems like I'll have to :lol:

So, for all of y'all that are believers in ab exercises (and those who are not disciplined enough to do them w/o some sort of apparatus), what is the best one out these days..... and where do they sell them? I guess I could go to Modells and look around but I wanted to see if someone has one that works well for them, and I'll give it a try.

Pasta-Na
Apr 21st, 2009, 03:56 AM
rowing machine. :p

woosey
Apr 21st, 2009, 04:45 AM
no special equipment needed.

intense cardio, clean diet, and a series of ab exercises.

Brett.
Apr 21st, 2009, 05:11 AM
All you need is to buy a Fat Reducer and you'll get a nice abs :D

drake3781
Apr 21st, 2009, 06:13 AM
You do not need any "machine". There are tons of great ab exercises you will do without a machine. I could show you 20 right now. Just do some research on the internet. I don't see why lack of discipline would mean you do it with a machine but not without one. :confused:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Apr 21st, 2009, 07:47 AM
What about those things that you stick on your stomach that send electrical impulses and it's similar to doing 100 sit-ups a minute?

Philbo
Apr 21st, 2009, 09:00 AM
no special equipment needed.

intense cardio, clean diet, and a series of ab exercises.

Pretty much spot on. Lots of cardio and just old fashioned sit ups/leg ups.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Apr 21st, 2009, 09:17 AM
Best way to get decent abs is stick to a good healthy diet, do regular weight training (much much better than intense cardio) and be active. It wont happen overnight, it takes months to achieve it,and years to better it, but the goal is not to look good but be fit and healthy :)

If you wat to do abs exercises, instead of crunches do push ups (modify it a bit so your hands are a bit close to your body than in normal push ups and your fingers are facing straight). It will give you agood abs workout as well as almost a full body stretch.

You could also try the 30 minute hold technique. before you do any abs exercise, before ever set, do one rep but instead of letting it go, hold it for 30 secs before you relax again and then without waiting do 10-12 more . Keep a steady but slow pace and dont use the momentum

I find it better to do full body work outs like push ups, and some other modified exercises that my trainer taught me instead of exercises for a small targeted roup.

:yeah:

Philbo
Apr 21st, 2009, 11:01 AM
Best way to get decent abs is stick to a good healthy diet, do regular weight training (much much better than intense cardio)

:yeah:

It depends on the person. If the OP is a bit overweight and carrying some flab around the tummy area, he/she will need cardio to see any evidence of abs. They can do a thousand situps everyday but if the abs are hidden underneath a lot of fat they will never be visible...

Miss Atomic Bomb
Apr 21st, 2009, 11:32 AM
It depends on the person. If the OP is a bit overweight and carrying some flab around the tummy area, he/she will need cardio to see any evidence of abs. They can do a thousand situps everyday but if the abs are hidden underneath a lot of fat they will never be visible...

By weight training I meant arms, back, chest, legs etc...to build up muscle mass, the more muscle you got = the more fat is burned due to higher metabolism. More cardio will lead to muscle loss along with fat loss.

Philbo
Apr 21st, 2009, 11:36 AM
By weight training I meant arms, back, chest, legs etc...to build up muscle mass, the more muscle you got = the more fat is burned due to higher metabolism. More cardio will lead to muscle loss along with fat loss.

Oh I see your point.. I thought you meant do more abs with weight plates etc.. Either way the fat needs to be burnt :)

Wintermute
Apr 21st, 2009, 07:54 PM
As long as you adopt the correct posture for doing crunches you don't need one of those machines at all. In fact you'll probably find it's more effective without one.

But if you do require some assistance I think a Swiss ball is very good. If you play tennis it's a great way to strengthen all your core muscles as well as abs.

tonythetiger
Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:10 AM
A broken fork.

woosey
Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:52 AM

have you ever watched the biggest loser?

they do tons of cardio. cardio is a necessary part of the equation for weight loss. and, i have to say that after training for and running my marathon last month, my leg muscles are a lot stronger and defined and i did virtually no weights - although i'm doing lots of yoga right now. running is actually a weighti'm female btw.

it's not a matter of doing one or the other. it's a matter of doing both - it's balance. i see too many guys in the gym with big arms and legs from lifting but they have big ass stomachs.

if they actually did some cardio, they'd probably lose that stomach. on top of that, some of the muscle in their arms and legs are covered in fat no doubt. they probably need to lean out.

esquímaux
Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:54 AM
Intense sex.

azza
Apr 22nd, 2009, 07:16 AM
Take acid or pot and then after all the laughing u will have abs of a god

source: experience.

bad_angel_109
Apr 22nd, 2009, 07:41 AM
What about those things that you stick on your stomach that send electrical impulses and it's similar to doing 100 sit-ups a minute?omg those things are like pleasant tourture. only reason i say that is coz i cant use 'em coz im way too ticklish! :lol:

yeah a healthy diet, and some exercise - thats wat im trying to do anyway. but im not giving up twixes for nothing! :p

LANGAM
Apr 23rd, 2009, 12:02 AM
Intense sex.

Hmmmmmm:tape:

madlove
Apr 23rd, 2009, 12:33 AM
sex might just do it

spartanfan
Apr 23rd, 2009, 05:39 PM
A broken fork.

That's the funniest thing I've read all week.:lol:

esquímaux
Apr 24th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Hmmmmmm:tape:
No need to tape up your mouth mate. It works, trust me :)

F-R-E-A-K
Apr 24th, 2009, 06:55 AM
What about those things that you stick on your stomach that send electrical impulses and it's similar to doing 100 sit-ups a minute?

:hearts: I have one of those, havent used it on my stomach all year, but yeah it works. :lol: :tape: