PDA

View Full Version : What's you most vivid tennis memory?

SV_Fan
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:09 PM
One positive, One negative whats your's mine

Positive: Venus in 2002 nailed a bhdtl, and it was so hard and flat and delicious. I mean I have yet to see someone else besides her duplicate that, and it was against seles.

Negative: USO 2007 Semi-Final Vee vs. Juju final point vee slices that serve into the deuce court, Justine hits a forehand return, and vee tries to hit an inside out bhdtl. The thing I remeber most was that GRUNT. That final grunt by venus was describe by someone on this board "so anti-climatic" it really was. It was painful almost cry like grunt.

My happen to be points that involve vee and her backhand how weird.

But whats yours?

AnomyBC
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Harkleroad in Playboy :inlove:

(That would be a positive one.)

Mashabator
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:33 AM
positive: masha winning 2008 AO
negative: Jelly losing to razzano after mp's.

Pops Maellard
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:53 AM
One positive, One negative whats your's mine

Positive: Venus in 2002 nailed a bhdtl, and it was so hard and flat and delicious. I mean I have yet to see someone else besides her duplicate that, and it was against seles.

Negative: USO 2007 Semi-Final Vee vs. Juju final point vee slices that serve into the deuce court, Justine hits a forehand return, and vee tries to hit an inside out bhdtl. The thing I remeber most was that GRUNT. That final grunt by venus was describe by someone on this board "so anti-climatic" it really was. It was painful almost cry like grunt.

My happen to be points that involve vee and her backhand how weird.

But whats yours?
Got a video of that backhand DTL anywhere? I'd love to see it. :D

RJWCapriati
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Positive - Capriati's forehand winner in the final of the 2001 French Open.

Negative - the forehand volley that Justine barely stuck her racquet out for and kept Jennifer away from a match point @ the epic 2003 U.S. Open SF.

SV_Fan
Apr 20th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Got a video of that backhand DTL anywhere? I'd love to see it. :D

yeah let me get it.............. I think I still have it

The Dawntreader
Apr 20th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Positive: Venus's BHDTL to set up two match points in the Wimby final of '05. I remember that more than THE backhand.

Negative: Venus's missed smash on her TENTH set point against Serena. That match was the most depressing for me ever.

Golovinjured.
Apr 20th, 2009, 09:57 AM
2002 Australian Open final. Hingis had matchpoint on the ad court, and Capriati hit a return winner cross court right past her. That would be a negative.

2006 Australian Open R1. Dokic v Razzano. The forehand winner that wasn't a winner, on matchpoint. :sobbing: Worst memory ever!

mauresmofan
Apr 20th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Positive: That topspin backhand passing shot Graf hit against Hingis at 4-6 4-5* 15-15 down after a long ass rally which ended up being the turning point in the match in the famous 99 French Open Final.

Negative: The Seles stabbing, you can't get any more negative than that on a court.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Most vivid tennis memory for me -

For me the most memorable point came last year (even after watching her for almost 8 years, Serena still surprises me :worship:)

Ik8r34q-p9A

Just awesome :bowdown:

Honourable mention -

u8tgrGMnr5g

At 6-4 6-7 7-6 15-30 , lindsay was 2 points away from the championship , after more than 2.30 hours of gruelling tennis, the women come up with this stunning rally of 25 strokes, and Venus ends it with a forehand winner :worship:

skanky~skanketta
Apr 20th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Justine Vs Venus at the USO 07. At one point, Venus has so much difficulty passing Justine at the end. She finally did with a forehand cross. Amaze!

frenchie
Apr 20th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Positive : Nastya winning RG

Negative : Nastya and that awful Olympics SF. I have to admit that I cried after the match (Nastya too BTW)
The good thing is that I went on vacation in La Réunion island for 1 months the day after the SF so I didn't see the USO debacle and it was easier for me to forget!

miffedmax
Apr 20th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Positive: Lena's shriek after winning the Gold.

Negative: Lena's meltdown during The Final That Must Not Be Named.

Live: Seeing Gabby Sabitini walk on court for the first time. :drool:

Mixed: Nastya being so sweet to poor Lena after The Final That Must Not Be Named.

Polikarpov
Apr 20th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I want to share a lot but I'll cut it down to just a few.

Positive: Martina's service game at 6-2, 5-2 in the final of '99 AO against Mauresmo. She was 0-40 down, but won the game with three spectacular points -- a perfect dropshot, a BH passing shot, and FH passing shot on dead run. Also, The staredown she gave Serena at the 2000 AO QF after hitting a strong crosscourt FH which Serena only managed to float long.

Negative: Martina's overhead at 5-3, 30-15 in the third set of the epic 2000 USO SF against Venus
Martina missing a backhand volley because of a bloody netcord during of her championship points against Jennifer in the 2002 AO final.

Mixed: The whole '99 RG final fiasco. That match was a guilty pleasure for me.

The Dawntreader
Apr 20th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Positive: That topspin backhand passing shot Graf hit against Hingis at 4-6 4-5* 15-15 down after a long ass rally which ended up being the turning point in the match in the famous 99 French Open Final.
Negative: The Seles stabbing, you can't get any more negative than that on a court.

:worship:

Steffi was in full fist-pump mode after that.

MyskinaManiac
Apr 20th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Positive: Lena's Gold. No one deserved it more. Well... maybe Nastya in 04 lols!

Negative: Martina losing to Capriati 02 AO. It broke Martina physically and mentally from that point. She was all over Capriati... but just could not bury her opponent.

up!
Apr 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Positive: Kim losing a point to Venus in their quarter final of the 2005 US Open. She actually overran Venus' shot and at that moment, I knew Kim would be stronger physically and would eventually win the match.

Negative: when I see Sharapova hitting lots of doublefaults... I know the shoulder is bad.

LeonHart
Apr 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Positive: 1999 US Open SF Martina's one handed backhand down the line dink shot to get her to match point against Venus. That shot gives me the shivers everytime I watch it.

markhingis
Apr 20th, 2009, 04:55 PM
The great top-spin lob over Serena at 2001 Aus Open QF. I love it :)

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 20th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Most positive memory (I'll go only with the ones I saw live!):

2008, Montreal Rogers Cup 2nd Round. Stephanie Dubois def Maria Kirilenko 6-2 2-6 7-6. That entire match, but especially one point. At 5-5, Steph serving, 30-15, Kirilenko hits a great return, moves to the net, Steph barely touches it, she pushes it back as a lob, Kirilenko hits the smash crosscourt, Steph guesses right, and hits a forehand crosscourt winner to get to 40-15. Her reaction, the reaction of the crowd, all was amazing.

2007 Toronto Rogers Cup, First Round: Dubois def Sugiyama 7-6 3-6 7-5. Not many people were giving Steph any chance in that match, but she actually made Ai miss a lot, which is quite a feat. Steph was playing Ai's game perfectly well and ended up saving two match points en route to that win.

Worst:
2005, Quebec City Bell Challenge, Second round. Jidkova def Dubois 3-6 7-6(6) 7-6(4). Steph was just starting, Jidkova at the time was well higher in the rankings. Steph had already lost to her the year before after having 7 match points. She came in playing so well, won the first set convincingly. Second set was close all the way, Steph levelled it up at 6 all. At 6-5 Jidkova in the tiebreak, there was a 40 shot rally: Jidkova decided to attack, hit a dtl backhand, steph got to it, pushes it back, Jidkova hit a crosscourt forehand swing volley, steph got to it again, hit a down-the-line passing shot winner to level it at 6-6 all. She was going crazy and so was the crowd. Next point...she double faulted. She lost that set, and then the third in another tie break. She cried to much after it. Poor hun. I'll always remember that point though.

2007, Quebec City Bell Challenge, Second Round. Vakulenko def Dubois 6-1 2-6 7-5. Vakulenko was just exceptionnal in the first set, she was hitting so hard and deep, it was amazing. Steph looked totally clueless. In the second, Steph got used to the pace and started taking the ball super early and moving Julia around. The third followed the same path. At 5-4, Steph served for it. At 15-0, Julia hit a ball that looked like 4 inches out of the baseline. Steph yelled come on, the crowd clapped, but no one every called it out. It all started going crazy after that, talks to the umpire, Steph losing her temper and concentration. On the next point, Vakulenko hit a ball close to the line again (I thought this one was in) and steph lost the point later on. She turned to the umpire and yelled: T'es POCHE! (you SUCK!). Vakulenko got the momentum and started playing much better again and won it. It was steph's bday and it was so sad. The tournament director actually said sorry for the bad call, some other line judges that were on the court went to tell her they couldn't do anything but it was out, etc. Vakulenko ended up recahing the final against Lindsay, beating Govortsova and Ditty, two players that Steph has a winning record against. Let's say that she tried forgetting about that match in her bday party that night ;)

One that I didn't see: Chaky def Dubois in Wimbledone 1st round. Steph with 3 mps, can't convert, poor hun, it took her a few weeks to recover.

edificio
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Jana Novotna melting down against Graf and her subsequent tears at Wimbledon.

Boris Becker's eyelashes when he was a teen.

Venus in the stands at the U.S. Open when Serena won her first slam.

Justine's hand (RG) and her stomach ache (Aus): low points.

Polikarpov
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Jana Novotna melting down against Graf and her subsequent tears at Wimbledon.

Boris Becker's eyelashes when he was a teen.

Venus in the stands at the U.S. Open when Serena won her first slam.

Justine's hand (RG) and her stomach ache (Aus): low points.

Those were scary!

Petkorazzi
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Maka reaching a WTA QF :tears:

Tatishvili beating Mirza from 4-5 0-40 in the third :tears:

V-MAC
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:43 PM
THAT backhand winner against Lindsay when facing match point in Wimbly 2005:drool: Given the enormity of the moment and how partial Vee can be to making errors, it so easily could been dumped in the net or sent long. I was never so happy after a point I believe...ahh memories:inlove:

Worst memory would be that whole Ted Watts Wimbly debacle from 2004. The "ghost" point:rolleyes: Also Sanchez and his stopwatch at Stuttgart last year:mad:

cyannnnn
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:47 PM
positive: wimbledon 2004 maria wins
negative: championship 2007: it's a great match between maria and justine but i find the line umpire and chair umpire :tape: (a lot of mistakes) and maria is not very fair play to simulate a sickness

djul14
Apr 20th, 2009, 09:36 PM

Just have to quote, same as you:p;)

Helen Lawson
Apr 20th, 2009, 09:58 PM
It's too dirty to write on this family-oriented board, but it included Hall & Oates, Ivan Lendl, Martina Navratilova and a jock strap. You can fill in the rest.

cherboy
Apr 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM
best moment: of course mary's french open win in 2000. maybe the semifinal against hingis was the best moment. she lost so often in a raw to hingis before that match, and after she had a MP at 64 54 and lost the set 57, i was so down and damaged! but mary come back stronger that ever and win. and unforgetable the shot against seles between the legs!!! :worship:

and another great moment was in 2005 when mary turned the match against likhovtseva in moskow. i never ever saw something like that before. after 3h06min mary was 0:6 down in 3rd set TB. seven minutes later she won the match with 8:6. :clap2::bowdown:

worst moment: well probably the match against zvonareva in linz 2006. mary had three chances to take this fucking damn match and then it never would happend!!! :sad:

and another sad "tennis"-moment for mary and me was in 1999 when she played davenport in the quarters of the us open. mary hold two MP (one of them was 1cm next to the line) and then she lost. i remember that i cry the whole evening, because she played that great but still lost. :crying2:

SV_Fan
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:08 PM
It's too dirty to write on this family-oriented board, but it included Hall & Oates, Ivan Lendl, Martina Navratilova and a jock strap. You can fill in the rest.

Please explain

Billabong
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:16 PM
-2005 US Open quarterfinal, Clijsters def. Venus:) At the end of the second set Kim was sooo nervous when closing out that set, I remember an UNBELIEVABLE rallie in which Kim was SO aggressive, moved at all sides of the court and finished the point with an incrddible forehand crosscourt winner:) I just wanted to scream, it was sooo cool:)

-Hingis sending a backhand long on her 4th match point during the 2002 AO final, you just knew she wouldn't win the match after that:sad: I kind of remember Hingis suffocating under the heat after that, it was just too much:sad:

Billabong
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:17 PM
2007, Quebec City Bell Challenge, Second Round. Vakulenko def Dubois 6-1 2-6 7-5. Vakulenko was just exceptionnal in the first set, she was hitting so hard and deep, it was amazing. Steph looked totally clueless. In the second, Steph got used to the pace and started taking the ball super early and moving Julia around. The third followed the same path. At 5-4, Steph served for it. At 15-0, Julia hit a ball that looked like 4 inches out of the baseline. Steph yelled come on, the crowd clapped, but no one every called it out. It all started going crazy after that, talks to the umpire, Steph losing her temper and concentration. On the next point, Vakulenko hit a ball close to the line again (I thought this one was in) and steph lost the point later on. She turned to the umpire and yelled: T'es POCHE! (you SUCK!). Vakulenko got the momentum and started playing much better again and won it. It was steph's bday and it was so sad. The tournament director actually said sorry for the bad call, some other line judges that were on the court went to tell her they couldn't do anything but it was out, etc. Vakulenko ended up recahing the final against Lindsay, beating Govortsova and Ditty, two players that Steph has a winning record against. Let's say that she tried forgetting about that match in her bday party that night ;)

LOLLLL moi aussi j'ai vu ce match là, jmen rappelle comme si ctait hier, le T'ES POCHE était mémorable:worship:

mboyle
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:24 PM
When Sharapova hit the forehand that serena then returned into the net and then Maria fell onto her knees...far and away most memorable for me. I didn't think she had a chance in holy hell to win that match, and I remember just screaming and calling my best friend, who was a Serena fan, to give him shit for it. I will remember that moment for a long time.

My negative moment was actually a positive at the time. Someone mentioned it, but when Hingis sailed her backhand long on the fourth match point, I knew Capriati had her. At the time, I had been screaming at the top of my lungs at my TV cheering for Jennifer, who was my favorite at the time, but as soon as Hingis lost that match, I looked at her face on the TV, and just got this sinking feeling that she was over. It was eerie. Another moment I know I'll remember forever. Though of the four match points, the one I remember most vividly was Capriati's crosscourt backhand winner that kissed the outside of the line. She had no business hitting that shot. I don't know how it landed in.