PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best of the "next generation"

simonsaystennis
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Just putting a list together of young girls who are top 100, with the most notable in the poll options. Curious to see how people vote.

19 year olds
Victoria Azarenka
Dominika Cibulkova
Alisa Kleybanova
Sabine Lisicki
Nicole Vaidisova (20 in 4 days)
Yung-Jan Chan
Yanina Wickmayer
Timea Bacsinszky
Alize Cornet
Sorana Cirstea
Petra Kvitova
Ayumi Morita

18 year olds
Caroline Wozniacki
Tamira Paszek
Urszula Radwanska

17 year olds
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova

Shoulderpova
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Vika Azarenka
Nastya Pavlyuchenkova

Dodoboy.
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:25 PM
We forget that Caro is a year younger than Vika and the rest! :speakles:

Vika, Caro, Pavly

JeLeNaJfAn
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Vika and Sabine :D

miffedmax
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:30 PM
10 years ago, I confidently predicted that a young Russian blonde would be a multislam winner, a surefire #1, and certain to challenge Serena as the dominant player of her generation.

I'm gonna sit this one out.

oleada
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Azarenka for sure.

Wiggly
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Azarenka or Vaidisova (when she was playing well).

Wozniacki, Cornet, Cibulkova, they're good but a defensive game has it limits.
Pavlyuchenkova and Lisicki showed in the last weeks they had a big game but they are inconsistent.
Kleybanova doesn't move well enough.
Radwanska is overhyped and can't win a match to save her life when she's not receing a WC.

Slutiana
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Tatiana Golovin + Maria Sharapova...

Bilbo123
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:53 PM
S. Lisicki

Ciarán
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Paszek
Pavlyuchenkova
And now it seems Lisicki :D

aezzei
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Vika Caro and Sabine

Eduardo Oliveira
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Domi, Vika, Carol and Sabine.
Nastya in 1 or 2 years ;)

DeliriousPotato
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I saw almost every match of Lisicki in Charleston. That girl has great weapons (serve, forehand and sometimes backhand) and a lion hearted mentality to boost. Everyone has got to notice her amazing match (although she was defeated) against Azarenka this year in Memphis. I think she is going far.

Caro for me is the best, but she needs to work hard on the mental game. Azarenka is a legend-to-be, but please Vika, shut up when you're playing. :)

pepaw
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:15 PM
vaidisova when she is playing well and azarenka are by far the best. huge weapons.

vaidisova in particular seems like she can beat anyone when she is playing well. put azarenka up against henin in zurich 07 and she would be slaughtered. vaidisova made it to 7-5 in the third. they are both incredibly talented, hopefully vaidisova can regain some form and get back in the top 10 where she belongs.

DarkchildSwiss
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM
vika

Christinawww
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:25 PM
why isn't A. Radwanska on the list? She is from 1989 as well.

Dodoboy.
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I'm not rushing to say Sabine, yet. This is one tournament, i am sure she will able to reach this form again. But let's wait and see.

joe87
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:33 PM
wow, Tamira is still on of the youngest players in Top 100.

Her time will come for sure. :cool:

tea
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Haha, I'm sure Azarenka will win the poll by a while.:zzz:
I voted for Cornet. It's a matter of few years for her to become a top player.:angel: Just wait and see, haters.:p
The same situation with Caroline. She will be a star very soon.;)

kman
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Caroline based on results and consistency so early in her career (people forget that she's a whole year younger than Azarenka and still has more titles and finals and better head-to-head).

But based on sheer talent and "weapons", Azarenka is ahead of her I think.

If Sabine can keep improving the way she does she could be a major force too, but she did lose to Wozniak last week after which Wozniacki beat Wozniak convincingly so she has yet to prove that can be consistent with these kind of results. I think she can though and her win at Charleston is a hint of great things to come from her.

I personally love this influx of new talent. People always talk about how bad shape the WTA is in, but it's never been as competitive and unpredictable as it is now.

Now all we need is Sharapova and Clijsters back and it's a real interesting mix of veterans and new talent.

Sally Struthers
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I had no idea Nicole was still only 19 :o It seems like she's been around for ever

iPatty
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Lisicki was 7-6 going into Charleston, so she clearly isn't unbeatable. :o She had a great week and played out of her mind--really well--but it's sad to see how much hype she is getting now and if she doesn't fulfill it, all of you guys will just forget about her.

Aravanecaravan
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:44 PM
wow, Tamira is still on of the youngest players in Top 100.

Her time will come for sure. :cool:

Agree. For all the "early success" these teens have been having lately, Paszek did it at 15....she's had her growing pains, and her share of injuries, but she will be at the top soon enough.

Optima
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Alize and Vika.

thegreendestiny
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I vote for the youngest, most junior grand slams, and the longest junior no.1.:worship:

mashamaniac
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Eurosport commentator said lisicki is 17 y.o!!!

croat123
Apr 19th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Pavlyuchenkova is only 17 :eek: I feel like she's been on tour forever :o

bobbynorwich
Apr 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I personally love this influx of new talent. People always talk about how bad shape the WTA is in, but it's never been as competitive and unpredictable as it is now.

Now all we need is Sharapova and Clijsters back and it's a real interesting mix of veterans and new talent.

Yes, the depth of the field in the WTA and lack of any one or two dominant players makes all the tourneys unpredictable and exciting. Just wish there was more young American talent.

simonsaystennis
Apr 19th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Yes, the depth of the field in the WTA and lack of any one or two dominant players makes all the tourneys unpredictable and exciting. Just wish there was more young American talent.

I echo that last part of your comment completely. I'm not like anti-rest of the world by any means, but I think it's a bit sad that there's only 4 players in the top 100 from a country that's so full of great tennis history. Hopefully a couple years from now there will be a new poll about talented girls of this age group, and promising girls like Melanie Oudin, Christina McHale, Kristie Ahn, and others will all be on it. :)

For now though I am enjoying watching the rising stars from all over the world making names for themselves on the tour. In fact in the last year Azarenka and Ula have become two of my favorite players. :)

Carsten
Apr 19th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Azarenka, Lisicki and Vaidisova definitely are the most talented. But I haven't seen enough of Pavlyuchenkova to judge about her game.

Pops Maellard
Apr 20th, 2009, 12:49 AM
If Nicole Vaidisova was "on" she'd probably beat all of these women. Her and Azarenka.

Dominic
Apr 20th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Dokic!:rocker2:

Harvs
Apr 20th, 2009, 01:28 AM
lol vaidisova seems like a veteran. haha, seems like shes been playing for ten years

Medina
Apr 20th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Jill :rocker2:

Pops Maellard
Apr 20th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Jill :rocker2:
Sugiyama. :hearts:. :lol:

Zauber
Apr 20th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Azarenka numero uno
and pavlyuchenkova second nice and young lots of up potential

In The Zone
Apr 20th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Vaidisova is the best -- of all her potential. Such a shame. I hope she comes back.

Azarenka is the one who is best utilizing it.

TheFifthAvocado
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Lisicki was 7-6 going into Charleston, so she clearly isn't unbeatable. :o She had a great week and played out of her mind--really well--but it's sad to see how much hype she is getting now and if she doesn't fulfill it, all of you guys will just forget about her.

With her serve, she's always going to be winning at least a couple of matches even with the littlest amount of confidence.

It's funny to see the OP put Morita on the list, I've always wondered about her potential. Anyone?

bobbynorwich
Apr 20th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Hard to say, this new generation is a deep field which is great for the tour. Nothing more boring than a pre-ordained quarter/semi or final.

Temperenka
Apr 20th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Vika has the best title under her belt, Vaidisova has the best slam results. Talent-wise they could both be huge (Vaidisova still slipping) in addition to Pavly, Caro, and Lisicki.
caro might struggle winning titles because of her game, but definitely has the potential to be one of the consistent performers on tour.

KanSuke
Apr 20th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Caroline and Vika.

And Yung-Jan will be bigger, she's already the best teenager asian player right now.

Pops Maellard
Apr 20th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Vika has the best title under her belt, Vaidisova has the best slam results. Talent-wise they could both be huge (Vaidisova still slipping) in addition to Pavly, Caro, and Lisicki.
caro might struggle winning titles because of her game, but definitely has the potential to be one of the consistent performers on tour.
I have a good feeling that Nicole will make a surprise run to the 3R or 4R of the French Open. ;)

Lennval
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:17 AM
caro

Sund7101
Apr 20th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Sabine and Caroline are future Top 5 players.

Cibulkova will consistently be in the Top 20, hopefully higher.

Sexysova
Apr 20th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Nicole without a doubt, second probably Lisicki but at their bests Lisicki is still far away from Nicole..

SoClose
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM
oh c;mon NICOLE V ofcourse

SoClose
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM
:spit:Lisicki :tape: wtf

miffedmax
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I might have better luck if there were pix so I can see who, if any, of these youngsters, has bangs.

bobbynorwich
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Why does one have to be "the best"? It's quite possible for several players to be equally good such that on any given day player A can beat player B or vice verse. I think Azarenka, Pavlyuchenkova, and Lisicki seem evenly matched. Perhaps Vaidisova too, except for her recent slump which is hard to explain.

justine schnyder
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Azarenka I guess, and Aga Radwanska

Aravanecaravan
Apr 20th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Since I didn't officially vote: "other" (Paszek)

Nederlander RUS
Apr 20th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Just putting a list together of young girls who are top 100, with the most notable in the poll options. Curious to see how people vote.

19 year olds
Victoria Azarenka
Dominika Cibulkova
Alisa Kleybanova
Sabine Lisicki
Nicole Vaidisova (20 in 4 days)
Yung-Jan Chan
Yanina Wickmayer
Timea Bacsinszky
Alize Cornet
Sorana Cirstea
Petra Kvitova
Ayumi Morita

18 year olds
Caroline Wozniacki
Tamira Paszek
Urszula Radwanska

17 year olds
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova

16 year olds

Michelle Larcher de Brito

mboyle
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:30 PM
The only one with enough game to dominate is Vaidisova. Azarenka could be a slam winner. Lisicki has a lot of work to do but the raw material is there. Wozniacki might sneak in a slam the way Myskina did, but isn't going to dominate.

dany.p
Apr 21st, 2009, 12:24 AM
If Vaidisova can get her game together, she will win a grandslam.

After Vaidisova i'd pick Lisicki. Only seen a bit of ger (before Charleston), but she impressed me, and i predicted good things form her.

Then i'd pick Azarenka.