PDA

View Full Version : The Fall Cometh: Dinara Safina

thegreendestiny
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:03 PM
She needs to lose early in Tokyo to be knocked off the No.1 spot.

Horizon
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Reminds me of Ana's version of this thread :sad: :bigcry: :sobbing:

Demska :mad:

And w/e, I think Safina will stay Top 5 for a while to come.

spiritedenergy
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
:zzz:

Shoulderpova
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:51 PM
lol
she might lose the number 1 ranking at some point but clay is her favorite stuff, she should do well on it.

goldenlox
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:53 PM
The rise is still cometh. In parts of the world she's not #1 for a few hours

Navratil
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM
A few months ago I thought she really deserves being # 1. But now I really doubt it...

It's said that she got to the pole position that way after missing so many opportunities. It would have been great to see winning her Indian Wells and getting to the top!

Mikey B
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM
she might gain confidence from this, like jj end of 08, unlike ana post RG... a confident safina with the clay under her feet could be a fearsome number one...

im just trying to put a positive spin on things.. although i hope a new rule is made where you can only reach the number spot after winning a grand slam... but at least all the slamless number ones in history have all been grand slam finalists... and there's no doubt in my mind that jj and dinara will win a grand slam one day..

Craig.
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I've been waiting for this thread :hearts:

darkangel23
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM
You never know... She wasn't a favourite at last years RG just a player that could do some damage but that was Dementieva, Kuznetsova as well... The favourites IMO were Sharapova and Serena Williams...

darkangel23
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM
So maybe with No.1 spot she might feel pressure...

doni1212
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Jankovic was worse...

Effy
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:42 PM
pathetic boring thread.

n.1 ranking :hearts:

Optima
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Congrats, Dinara :)

bijoux
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I've been waiting for this thread for months. :)

I have to give Dinara a chance. I think a lot of her lousy play in the last two months was due to the pressure she felt knowing #1 was so close. I don't think she wanted to be #1 without winning a slam. Now that she's got it hopefully some of the pressure is off of her.

I can't judge her yet until she starts playing on clay. It's her best surface and I think she can do some damage this season if she doesn't let her brain get the best of her. She always says she doesn't understand why she doesn't play well in matches lately because she practices so well. It's all mental.

If she loses in the first couple of rounds in Stutgart and Madrid, I'll be back to report the fall is here. :)

thegreendestiny
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I've been waiting for this thread :hearts:

I've been waiting for this thread for months. :)

i know. a lot of us did. :devil:

Pressure brings out the worst in her.

Dinayer
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Great :yeah:

I've been waiting for this....3 years, I thought I will never see her at the top and now....she's #1, just :bowdown: :bowdown:
please, more of this in 1, 2, 3,4 years :inlove:

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I will say it right now, I don't know how Dinara is going to do this year on clay. She might be a disaster, or she might even surpass last year's achievements.

What I do know is that Dinara Safina did a heck of a lot better this year over the first 4 months of the year than she did over the corresponding period last year. Between January and April 2008 Dinara Safina won 11 matches and lost 10. Besides a decent win over Davenport (yeah that was as good as it got) she was, well, poor. This year she has won 14 and lost 5 and I am not even counting the Hopman Cup. It's not been great by her new standards but hey even with a nice draw, a lot of players would take making the final of the Australian Open. This year she has been far more in the spotlight and so we judge her on a higher level. But the simple fact is she goes into the European clay court season playing MUCH BETTER than she was last year. What I am basically saying is that we can not realistically conclude from Dinara's performances during the 1st three plus months of the year that Dinara Safina is not going to have another outstanding clay court season. It is possible she won't. But it is also very very possible she will.

StephenUK
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Good for Dinara! Of course, it is easy to criticise her being the No 1 in the world as she is slamless and because she embarrassed herself and women's tennis in general by her dismal showing in the Australian final but the fact is that none of the rest of the top 10 deserve the ranking any more than she does. Serena ought to be number one, but the fact is that she has managed only to win two titles (both slams it must be said) in the last twelve months, despite having a full programme of fifteen events during that period. Serena will only get the top ranking back if she wins some more events, it is not hers by birth or something!

The change of surface should help Dinara by giving her a second wind and forget her poor start to 2009. With no clear favourite on clay, she has a good a chance as any of winning RG, she could take a leaf out of Ana's book and go from finalist to winner! With a lot of premier events and especially Madrid, the red clay stretch has really been beefed up this year and this should play into the hands of Safina rather than Serena. If Dinara does not win on points on red clay over the American, then she really doesn't deserve the top spot at all.

StarDuvallGrant
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Jankovic was worse...

Jankovic like Safina worked to their top spot. It's not some anonymous draw where someone is picked to be number 1.

TheFifthAvocado
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I was ready to jump on this 'Fall Cometh' bandwagon, but then I looked at the race and saw she was fifth going into her favorite part of the season...

Roookie
Apr 20th, 2009, 03:27 AM
We haven't seen Safina playing on clay yet this season. I think she could really step up and take a couple of titles. Roland Garros why not?. The only thing against her is the no.1 ranking, let's see how she handles it.

Warhol15
Apr 20th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I fear Dinara will become the answer to a Jeopardy question if clay court season doesn't got well...

Noctis
Apr 20th, 2009, 09:58 PM
The Bashing Place : TennisForum

bobbynorwich
Apr 20th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Jankovic like Safina worked to their top spot. It's not some anonymous draw where someone is picked to be number 1.

True. Yet, Jankovic had to play 22 tournaments in that year to pile up enough points, something that can't happen with the new roadmap limit of 16 tourneys. There is an argument that players who worked harder by playing more tournaments should be rewarded with all those extra ranking points though. There's a balance somewhere in there.

miffedmax
Apr 21st, 2009, 02:27 AM
Whatever. It's better to be a former #1 than to be a never was #1. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying or has a very limited grasp of math.

faboozadoo15
Apr 21st, 2009, 04:39 AM
I almost hope she wins RG now.

Billy Moonshine
Apr 21st, 2009, 09:14 AM
She can win a few claycourt titles, make a good run at Wimbledon where she only has few points. Possibly she could hold onto it. Then there is the US Open series. She may lose it here but then in the Fall where she has few points to defend she could get it back although I think she only plans on playing in Beijing.
Remember Safina is going to be coming off a 4 week break. Also,the pressure of reaching number one is no longer there and she is about to begin her favorite part of the season. Hopefully she will have rested, improved and seen a psychologist who can help her come to terms with going from being the world's 17th best player to its first in less than a year.
Whatever happens I predict one clay title, a finalist showing at the French, a wimbledon semi, a Us open Quarter and a semi at the end of year championships with a year end reanking of 3 behind Serena and Venus.

Dandy_Warhol
Apr 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM
Whatever. It's better to be a former #1 than to be a never was #1. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying or has a very limited grasp of math.

THIS

sammy01
Apr 21st, 2009, 01:01 PM

spoken like a true dementieva fan lol.

hate these threads, every player has peaks and lows, safina even though i dislike her, will eventualy drop as no one stays #1 forever how quickly that happens remains to be seen but im not plotting her downfall.

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 21st, 2009, 01:07 PM
I would prefer to be "a never was #1" with Sabatini's, Novotna's or Martinez's resume than former #1 with Safina's resume :shrug:

I would actually prefer to have Myskina's or Majoli's career over Safina's one as well.

Hey, if I had to choose I would take Dementieva's career over Safina's #1 rank any day so that I could say I did win something really big in my life.

goldenlox
Apr 21st, 2009, 01:18 PM
Safina is still 22, and she's only been a top 5 player since Berlin last year.
This past 12 months was a new experience for her.
She knows this next major is wide open. So do Dementieva and Jankovic.

thegreendestiny
Sep 6th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Let's update this instead.

SAISAI-GOAT
Sep 6th, 2009, 05:10 AM
well I don't think she will ever have as many WTA rank points as before USO 2009, when she has at least SF points from all four Grand Slam tournaments in her ranking

so for her, there is only one direction to go

2moretogo
Sep 6th, 2009, 05:14 AM
This thread really can't be bumped until she loses early on teh clay, really, so many of her points come from there and her slam results. So we shall see what happens. I am sure her coach will find some way to blame Serena.

goldenboi356
Sep 6th, 2009, 05:15 AM
she's still #1 after the open :eek:

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 6th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Yeah, she's really not bad holding on to #1 even without a slam.:worship:

faboozadoo15
Sep 6th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I think she really lost her chance to end this year at #1 though, hasn't she?

Donny
Sep 6th, 2009, 05:27 AM

I think it depends entirely on how Serena does. Safina has nothing to defend at the YEC this year.

Caralenko
Sep 6th, 2009, 05:29 AM
They both play the same schedule after the USO. Safina will lose Tokyo points and play Beijing then the YEC.

Ackms421
Sep 6th, 2009, 07:14 AM
And Serena, as usual, will have her, ahem, stellar Fall results to defend. So, basically, one has as good a chance as the other now to finish the year as #1.

I would put money on Serena to do it though. This all assuming she wins the Open. If she'd lose tomorrow Safina's still roughly 200 points ahead, lol...

zxcVbnm88
Sep 6th, 2009, 07:20 AM

not yet. it depends on how she and Serena perform at tokyo, beijing and YEC

mdterp01
Sep 6th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Let her stay at #1...I will need someone to keep constantly laughing at and pity. :wavey:

Caralenko
Sep 6th, 2009, 07:22 AM
She and Serena's websites both say they are not playing Tokyo.

Let her stay at #1...I will need someone to keep constantly laughing at and pity.

You don't pity her, pity involves sympathy. You just plain look down on her and undermine her efforts :rolleyes:

Matt01
Sep 6th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Why? Serena has still lots of US Open points to defend; if she doesn't win it, she won't overtake Safina for a while. And who else other than Serena could overtake Safina to get to #1?

Vaidisova Ruled
Sep 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Let her stay at #1...I will need someone to keep constantly laughing at and pity. :wavey:
Now, that's a grown up attitude.

You don't need to pity her. Dinara has achieved in her life more than you'll ever do. I find that quite funny: because you have serena in you sig, you think that becauseof the fact that Serena>Dinara, then You>Dinara. But in reality, Dinara>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>You, sad story. How does it feel to be so inferior to a girl you constantly laugh at and pity?

However, I agree that it would be better for Safina if she was #2. She wouldn't have to answer to all these questions and would have less pressure

Caralenko
Sep 6th, 2009, 11:38 AM
She was performing much better when she went into the AO as the third(?) seed and wasn't overwhelmed by having the highest expectations there. Look at what happened to poor JJ :shrug: Top seed, knocked out by unexpected Marion.

M.P
Sep 6th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Safina let's get the WC in to Tokyo

Igor_Biscan
Sep 6th, 2009, 02:26 PM
The Fall Cometh? More like ready to drop

Ilovetheblues_86
Sep 6th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Xd

Janet
Sep 6th, 2009, 04:06 PM
We all know who is the real #1 is S W all the way!!!!!

Warhol15
Aug 12th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Sad

Svetlana)))
Aug 12th, 2011, 08:49 AM
This thread :crying2: