PDA

View Full Version : Venus vs Justine - That point!

Slutiana
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmzdV1a5KqE&feature=channel_page

I finally uploaded in good quality. :) I know there's a highlight video but I thought it would be good to post it separately as it's so amazing :D. Enjoy.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:36 PM
"Embedding Disabled By Request" :(

Joee
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:38 PM
^ ^ ^
Same message here.

Slutiana
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Oh kk i'll change it.

Slutiana
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Oh I cant even embed because of fucking copyrights. :o

Mashabator
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
AMAZING POINT! i just copied the url and pasted in and watched ty!

Slutiana
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Youtube are gonna get their asses disputed. :D

V-MAC
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Truly amazing point:worship:

Optima
Apr 19th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Justine and Venus :worship:

So great.

jimbo mack
Apr 19th, 2009, 04:11 PM
WOW! amazing

DragonFlame
Apr 19th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Justineīs touch in that match was so amazing. Itīs her all-time high in my oppinion. Hitting an incredible lob, making so many hard volley's. That point where she did an impossible half-volley, she came into the net a lot. That point with her impossible footwork, and the point where she ran all over court lobbing until she could attack. Varried all her shots, and the passion she showed. She was fistpumping and shouting, really an incredible sight to see. So many more emotion then usually from her. The crowd was in awe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQzNhvaoNAA :drool:. Justine made the impossible possible.

Justine's best points:

1.02 (justine amazing footwork)
2.15 (THE POINT of the tournament)
2.59 (amazing passing shot)
3.25 (justine BDTL, backhandvolley)
3.53 (great passing shot yet again)
4.05 (AWESOME POINT in Tiebreak, justine lobs back 2 impossible to get balls, goes over in attack and finishes it with a beautiful touch volley. This point was amazing for me. I was shouting against my tv when i saw this) This point showed to me she was doing amazing stuff.
4.06 (justine BDTL, amazing half-volley)
6.15 (justine lob's a ball that almost hits the ground)
8.00 (great defense-offense)

And there's so much more, any tennisfan should be able to love that highlight real. Even people who dislike justine/venus, that match was just amazing.

Noctis
Apr 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM
:worship: Since when can one pushed WS This far when they are at the best :o

moby
Apr 19th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Incredible match. Another one of my favourite points was at 2-1 in the tiebreak. Justine plays improbable defence-to-offence (brilliant lob over the backhand!), goes from 10 feet behind the baseline to the net and ends the point with a deft to-die-for drop volley that dies on the bounce.

I still watch (parts of) this match every week or so. :awww:

scoobsuk
Apr 19th, 2009, 04:37 PM
US Open 2007 was perhaps Justine's finest hour.

Apoleb
Apr 19th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I still watch (parts of) this match every week or so. :awww:

:sobbing:

I love the smash she does from the back of the court.

Justine at the US 07 was so Federer-like.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Does anyone have the point from the Venus & Jankovic USO QF? It was at 4-3 (or 4-4) in the final set. It was this really long point which ended with Jelena flinging herself into a forehand down the line and ending up on the floor only for Venus to stretch out her hand and put the ball back into court to win the point. I thought that point was even better than this one.

Unfortunately the person who uploaded the whole JJ/Venus match on youtube is missing that part of the match :lol: Typical :p

AnomyBC
I guess that point was OK :)

mckyle.
Apr 19th, 2009, 04:42 PM
US Open 2007 was perhaps Justine's finest hour.

Tell me about it :inlove:

I was never a Justine fan, but her performance that entire tournament was just scary!

I can't believe how effortlessly she could hit winners almost every single point.

^bibi^
Apr 19th, 2009, 04:43 PM
definitely one of the best match ever :worship: :worship: what an awesome level of play from both players :hearts:

Inger67
Apr 19th, 2009, 04:46 PM
:worship: Amazing.

vw.
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:32 PM
That point pretty much sums up how amazing she was in the 2007 Open. Even though Venus won the point, that entire point was Justine DICTATING and Venus playing all the defense from the back of the court.

Dave.
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Great point :hearts:

I wish I enjoyed her more when she was still playing :sad:

GOATs in the description :sobbing:

Dodoboy.
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:42 PM
She was INSANE throughout the whole tournament, amazing to watch!

serena williams
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:13 PM
That match just like a Nadal - Federer Match..One of the best match in that year by far.

Slutiana
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Justineīs touch in that match was so amazing. Itīs her all-time high in my oppinion. Hitting an incredible lob, making so many hard volley's. That point where she did an impossible half-volley, she came into the net a lot. That point with her impossible footwork, and the point where she ran all over court lobbing until she could attack. Varried all her shots, and the passion she showed. She was fistpumping and shouting, really an incredible sight to see. So many more emotion then usually from her. The crowd was in awe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQzNhvaoNAA :drool:. Justine made the impossible possible.

Justine's best points:

4.05 (AWESOME POINT in Tiebreak, justine lobs back 2 impossible to get balls, goes over in attack and finishes it with a beautiful touch volley. This point was amazing for me. I was shouting against my tv when i saw this) This point showed to me she was doing amazing stuff.

And there's so much more, any tennisfan should be able to love that highlight real. Even people who dislike justine/venus, that match was just amazing.
Agreed. That was literally peak Justine vs a Venus playing well. Venus would have beaten every other player in the world at that time including Serena (she was unfit) in straights herself. Amazing. If only her anemia didnt fuck up the end of the match for her :tears:
Does anyone have the point from the Venus & Jankovic USO QF? It was at 4-3 (or 4-4) in the final set. It was this really long point which ended with Jelena flinging herself into a forehand down the line and ending up on the floor only for Venus to stretch out her hand and put the ball back into court to win the point. I thought that point was even better than this one.

Unfortunately the person who uploaded the whole JJ/Venus match on youtube is missing that part of the match :lol: Typical :p
After i've done Venus-Olaru highlights, i'll do that match. :D Its in the video vault.

Slutiana
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I seriously think that Venus and Henin would have beaten so many ATP players that day. :rolls:

Galsen
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM
amazing point but this one is better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik8r34q-p9A
:worship::worship::worship:
this Serena has disappear even if Venus won that point:o great fight from Rena

debopero
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Please do not mention this match :sad: . It's evil.

Brαm
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Best 2-set match ever :worship:

DownTheLine21
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I was in Arthur Ashe stadium for this match, it was probably the most incredible tennis experience of my life.

Marshmallow
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I was in Arthur Ashe stadium for this match, it was probably the most incredible tennis experience of my life.

^.^

Venus V Hingis 1999, 2000
Venus V Davenport 2005

To name but a few. Venus really gives the crowd value for money and life.

DragonFlame
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM

I am so fucking jealous. :o This is the tennismatch i would have wanted to be at the most.

Besides this one it's the henin-capriati match usopen SF 2003.

Marshmallow
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Agreed. That was literally peak Justine vs a Venus playing well. Venus would have beaten every other player in the world at that time including Serena (she was unfit) in straights herself. Amazing. If only her anemia didnt fuck up the end of the match for her :tears:

After i've done Venus-Olaru highlights, i'll do that match. :D Its in the video vault.

I knnoooooooooww! Justine served for the match at 5-3, Venus broke her (just like the first set) - but then hot some tired looking errors. I'm sure Venus craved a rematch, shame it never happened.

The Dawntreader
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Awesome match. Tennis on another level from anything else in that tournament. The ATP matches that year looked tame compared to this match.

That point is such a highlight. Venus's hands are SO good on the run. That running drive-volley to finish the point:drool:

Of course it was Justine who was totally unplayable for the most part that year.

DragonFlame
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I'm sure Venus craved a rematch, shame it never happened.

Yeah definetly, and it should be a wimbledon final match. :drool:

The most disappointing match of justine's career is obviously vs. mauresmo on 2006. I thought she had this match and her careerslam in the bag after that first set. She was absolutely dictating mauresmo around and then just somehow stopped playing after losing a close game early on in the second set. :o After that, for me it's vs. bartoli 07. That match is just unexplainable... I was so expecting a justine-venus rematch and justine spoiled it for us all...

The Daviator
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Definitely the best two-setter I've ever seen :worship:

DownTheLine21
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I am so fucking jealous. :o This is the tennismatch i would have wanted to be at the most.

Besides this one it's the henin-capriati match usopen SF 2003.

The atmosphere was amazing. I've never seen a crowd more excited and involved in a match, although everyone was a bit let down that Venus couldn't hold serve at 5-4* after breaking Henin to stay alive. Nonetheless, it was certainly a great match, which we desperately needed after the positively atrocious SF between Kuznetsova and Chakvetadze.

Slutiana
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:53 PM
The atmosphere was amazing. I've never seen a crowd more excited and involved in a match, although everyone was a bit let down that Venus couldn't hold serve at 5-4* after breaking Henin to stay alive. Nonetheless, it was certainly a great match, which we desperately needed after the positively atrocious SF between Kuznetsova and Chakvetadze.
:sobbing:

Apoleb
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Yeah definetly, and it should be a wimbledon final match. :drool:

The most disappointing match of justine's career is obviously vs. mauresmo on 2006. I thought she had this match and her careerslam in the bag after that first set. She was absolutely dictating mauresmo around and then just somehow stopped playing after losing a close game early on in the second set. :o After that, for me it's vs. bartoli 07. That match is just unexplainable... I was so expecting a justine-venus rematch and justine spoiled it for us all...

Not really. Her fitness deserted her again, and she looked tired from the onset. I remember watching the first set and wondering why she is slicing so much, and I thought she might be reserving energy for her the Venus final. :o Then she kept playing the same after getting broken back in the second, so I knew that her fitness simply isn't there anymore. I remember leaving and thinking if I get back and see that she lost, I wouldn't be surprised. And that's exactly what happened. :spit:

I agree the worst loss is the Wimby 06 final. Her ground stroke game just fell off in the 2nd and 3rd sets.

Her second worst loss though is the 01 RG semi-final against Kim. She was in control and then completely choked. She was a first-rate choker back then. It's a shame cause she was already the best clay court player since then and could've gotten a few more RG's.

SV_Fan
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:09 PM
For me besides a williams-williams or williams-clijsters or williams-henin this has to be one of the most MANLIEST matchest I have ever seen. The power, shot making, brute force, sheer athleticism :worship: only Vee-Ree USO 2008 has come close to this.

Destiny
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM
:drool:

spencercarlos
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Very few women can straight sets peak Venus at a grand slam on home soil. Justine :kiss:

volta
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Very few women can straight sets peak Venus at a grand slam on home soil. Justine :kiss:

some ppl try sooooooooo hard :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

anyway i hate this match :fiery:(for obvious reasons :lol:). Juju was HUGE during that whole tournament :worship:

Dini.
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Goosebumps :hearts:

moby
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Her second worst loss though is the 01 RG semi-final against Kim. She was in control and then completely choked. She was a first-rate choker back then. It's a shame cause she was already the best clay court player since then and could've gotten a few more RG's.The most tragic point in that match was when she was up 6-2 4-1 (or 4-2), had the whole court to smash a short bounced lob (i.e. the easiest kind of smash) and practically hit it into the stands. Kim had already walked off to get her towel after putting up that weak-ass lob. :lol:

I never saw the 07 Wimby semis against Marion, but saw that coming weeks before when she opted to play Eastbourne again. Of course the quarterfinal against Serena was mentally draining as well - it was her first time beating a Williams off clay, and she had so much trouble trying to close Serena out in Miami. Eastbourne took a lot of her in 06 too; she was flat and enervated in the last 2 sets of the final.

In 06, every time she played and won a warm-up tournament the week before a slam (she played Sydney, Eastbourne, New Haven), she went on to lose the slam final meekly. Coincidence?

eugreene2
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:54 PM

Don't go there! Venus played pretty good but that was definitely not peak Venus. We've seen peak Venus before & that was definitely not it.

Joana
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Peak or no peak, that was the best Venus had played outside Wimbledon in years. She would have beaten any other player in the field including Serena. It's a shame it wasn't the final and the other finalist had to come from that semi. :help:

Justine was always very aware of her record against the sisters and to beat both of them, on hardcourt, at a Slam, on American soil, must have been extremely overwhelming for her and probably contributed to her consequent loss of motivation and drive. How I wish she had a different mentality. :(

CoolDude7
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:23 PM

That is the best point EVER. Like everyone was waiting for the error from Venus.. JJ was a tough as nails getting everything back.. then JJ made an amazing angle that looked impossible to get, then somehow venus barely got a racket on it and it landed on the otherside, even Stamina JJ was winded at that point.

Apoleb
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM
The most tragic point in that match was when she was up 6-2 4-1 (or 4-2), had the whole court to smash a short bounced lob (i.e. the easiest kind of smash) and practically hit it into the stands. Kim had already walked off to get her towel after putting up that weak-ass lob. :lol:

I never saw the 07 Wimby semis against Marion, but saw that coming weeks before when she opted to play Eastbourne again. Of course the quarterfinal against Serena was mentally draining as well - it was her first time beating a Williams off clay, and she had so much trouble trying to close Serena out in Miami. Eastbourne took a lot of her in 06 too; she was flat and enervated in the last 2 sets of the final.

In 06, every time she played and won a warm-up tournament the week before a slam (she played Sydney, Eastbourne, New Haven), she went on to lose the slam final meekly. Coincidence?

What was especially frustrating about her Wimby performances is that she was peaking one week before. Her 06 first week performance was amazing. Sure she played lower ranked players, but she was serving in the 60-70% range for first serves (which she almost never does), and her ground strokes were rock solid. Then as the tournament gradually progressed, her first serve percentage started falling, and her ground strokes became shakier. And all of this because of Eastbourne. Had she opted Eastbourne out, she would've peaked in the second Wimby weak. But she didn't have the confidence that she can go on the first week without grass match practice, but that was the wrong decision, seeing how well she did in Eastbourne both in 06 and 07.

In the 07 Wimby, I think she had some shoulder problems which she mentioned after her Serena match. And that explains why she was slicing the majority of her bh against Fatoli, and why her shoulder rotation on the fh was visibly slower (hence didn't get much on the ball).

Justine was always very aware of her record against the sisters and to beat both of them, on hardcourt, at a Slam, on American soil, must have been extremely overwhelming for her and probably contributed to her consequent loss of motivation and drive. How I wish she had a different mentality

:worship:

I thought the US Open might be a new start for her, cause she went into a level she never reached before in her career. And there were definitely things she could've built even more on. She could've ended both matches against the WS in an easier way, but kept getting tentative when she got the leads. But it seems that this performance ultimately brought her motivation down.

youizahoe
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:32 PM
That was really a great match :)

youizahoe
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:34 PM

Peak-Venus hasn't been around since 2000. She did play a very good game at the USO 2007, but Justine was better :)

Conor
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:39 PM
And to think that point was just 1 of about 50 amazing points in the match lol I watch the highlights like nearly every week, loved it :)

CoolDude7
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Peak-Venus hasn't been around since 2000. She did play a very good game at the USO 2007, but Justine was better :)

2000-2003 were the good years :sad:

franny
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Honestly, Justine is the only player who I honestly believed every time she stepped out on the court that she can go toe to toe with Venus or Serena and control her own destiny as much as they controlled theirs. She didn't have quite as much power, but she had more than enough to hit with them, you add that in with her finesse, variety, speed and mental fortitude and you've really got a very evenly matched match-up. These three are truly the best of their generation.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Apr 20th, 2009, 10:27 AM

SV_Fan
Apr 20th, 2009, 10:31 AM
more venus highlights :woohoo:

eck
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:04 AM
That one point in second set Venus *0-1 *x-30
Where Justine picked up an IMPOSSIBLE get at the net. Everyone was floored, I think she was too.

bandabou
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Honestly, Justine is the only player who I honestly believed every time she stepped out on the court that she can go toe to toe with Venus or Serena and control her own destiny as much as they controlled theirs. She didn't have quite as much power, but she had more than enough to hit with them, you add that in with her finesse, variety, speed and mental fortitude and you've really got a very evenly matched match-up. These three are truly the best of their generation.

Indeed..no doubts about it. too bad there rivalry got cut short, they never met when they were all at their bests..still some good matches.

new-york
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:57 AM
great first set.
what killed Venus is that she couldn't return Joost's first serves and didn't try to back up or something.

Justine's forehand was amazing.
well she was amazing that day.

the second set wasn't all that at all, their level of play dropped relatively.

new-york
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:59 AM

to each his own highlights.

joaco
Apr 20th, 2009, 12:20 PM
simply AMAZING

Chance
Apr 20th, 2009, 12:24 PM

ITA!!!

Justine was in a zone in that tournament! Such a shame we didn't get to see a rematch....

skanky~skanketta
Apr 21st, 2009, 03:00 AM
Justine's net skills = :eek:
Venus' speed and agility = :eek:

Both their grit and refusal to lose :bowdown:

Renalicious
Apr 21st, 2009, 04:52 AM
A really great match, shame it didn't go to a third set.

shap_half
Apr 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM
I can't even watch this highlights reel without dying inside. I can't believe she won't be playing again. It makes me really sad. Obviously an amazing match. I don't know why everyone calls the YEC finals the best match of 07. That might have gone three sets but it has nothing in terms of the quality of this match. Sensational.

Really amazing passing shots from Justine. The speed in this match is just mind-boggling.

tennis-insomniac
Apr 21st, 2009, 05:01 PM
:worship::hearts:

Slutiana
Apr 21st, 2009, 05:03 PM
I can't even watch this highlights reel without dying inside. I can't believe she won't be playing again. It makes me really sad. Obviously an amazing match. I don't know why everyone calls the YEC finals the best match of 07. That might have gone three sets but it has nothing in terms of the quality of this match. Sensational.

Really amazing passing shots from Justine. The speed in this match is just mind-boggling.
Agreed. I think what was so amazing about this match was the fact that every single possible shot in tennis was used in this match for both players, and used well. Justine served amazingly well, Venus served fairly well. Forehands, backhands, volleys, lobs, passes, slices (even with venus), speed, agility, brains and the pace of shot was phenominal from both girls which makes this point even better. Just watch the start of this point, even though they were both hitting down the middle it was because they were both just trying to break each other down and push each other behind the baseline... They were both hitting the ball so hard. It was so amazing. :hearts: But the match was so intense that Venus had to be in TOP condition just to win a set and sadly those dizzy spells and the anemia were there and she wasnt, I mean it wasnt that bad but they were SO evenly matched that the match was decided by the minutest factor. Just amazing.

shap_half
Apr 21st, 2009, 06:55 PM

Justine's best points:

the part where she hits a smash from the baseline was sick. i still think she has some of the best smashes of all time.

bobbynorwich
Apr 21st, 2009, 07:00 PM
A really great match, shame it didn't go to a third set.
And shame there's no rematch.

azinna
Apr 21st, 2009, 08:02 PM
It may have been the best set of competitive tennis in 2007, on either tour.

The match fizzled after that. Justine had some breathing problems and nerves. Venus had those dizzy spells. Shame, really. But that's why some folks look to the YEC match between Justine and Maria as an equal, if not better, contest.

serenafann
Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:57 AM
A stunning point.

ms_nut
Apr 22nd, 2009, 01:00 AM
:) What a great point.. i watch it from time to time.. when there's not much tennis action going on...

It's not just the well played point, it's also the atmosphere.. you can feel the spectators "living & dying" as they keep on screaming in excitement during the point...

TheFifthAvocado
Apr 22nd, 2009, 02:17 AM
Which point?

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Apr 22nd, 2009, 02:21 AM
Best point of the year 2007 according to ESPN Latin America

eck
Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:10 AM
I think Venus, against anyone that day (except possibly Serena), would have won easily.

spencercarlos
Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:25 AM
I think Venus, against anyone that day (except possibly Serena), would have won easily.
Peak Venus Peak Venus :bounce: In fact that was the match that decided the best player of 2007, had Venus won and had she won the Open in 2007 she would have become the facto best player of 2007.

Stamp Paid
Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:26 AM
This match could have been even more of a classic if Venus didnt get so wiped out in that second set.
Henin played really well in this match. I watch these highlights often too.

vejh
Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:45 AM
i you can feel the spectators "living & dying" as they keep on screaming in excitement during the point...

Yes.lol. It was soooo exciting. It reminded me of the excitement I felt back in 1999 between Venus and Hingis.

vejh
Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:53 AM
Justine was simply delicious in this match. And the emotion, brief she showed, brief and delightful and in spurts, just made it really a fantastic watch.

vwfan
Apr 22nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
amazing point but this one is better
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik8r34q-p9A
:worship::worship::worship:
this Serena has disappear even if Venus won that point:o great fight from Renahow the hell did Venus lose that second set up 5-2 in the tiebreak? :tape:

I am sick of her losing to the eventual champion at the U.S. Open. time for another title. she's too good to be just the kingmaker:
Kim 2005
Justine 2007
Serena 2008

Venus 2009 and she won't beat herself.

vwfan
Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
some ppl try sooooooooo hard :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

anyway i hate this match :fiery:(for obvious reasons :lol:). Juju was HUGE during that whole tournament :worship:isn't THAT the truth. attention-seeker!:o

MaBaker
Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Justine :sad:

vwfan
Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:14 PM
to each his own highlights.:lol: love it!

Slutiana
Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Which point?
THAT point.

Oh no, it isnt blocked for you is it? :sobbing: :crying2:

Dinayer
Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Venus and Justine :worship:
what a match!! :sobbing:

Juju :awww: :hearts:

thetennistimes
Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:15 PM