PDA

View Full Version : Is Footwork the most important thing in todays game?

manutoo
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:27 AM
If not what is ?

Caillou
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:29 AM
lol...i have heard that the most important thing is the serve/return?? they do, after all, get the rally started. other than that, yea i can imagine footwork is QUITE important

LDVTennis
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Not fast feet, but fast food... :D

Golovinjured.
Apr 19th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Footwork? The most important thing is obviously Serena.

mne22
May 2nd, 2009, 07:29 AM
Mental toughness.
Then service.

Cora
May 2nd, 2009, 08:06 AM
It isn´t the most important but it is important...the most is definitely mental toughness.

OsloErik
May 2nd, 2009, 08:14 AM
There aren't any top 20 players with truly atrocious (spelling?) footwork anymore. There haven't been for a while now. I think it's one of the first things to notice in an up-and-comer.

I mean, who was the last really, REALLY bad mover (footwork wise) to hit the top 20? Even slow players (Pierce, Ivanovic, Davenport, Sharapova) had sufficient footwork to keep from looking foolish on court, and they didn't even always look slow. Pierce looked positively graceful on clay, as does Ivanovic, while Davenport and Sharapova were both very smart movers on fast surfaces.

mne22
May 2nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
^ correct spelling.

AnomyBC
May 2nd, 2009, 08:37 AM
I think the most important thing is being able to hit the ball into the court. I think that's where it all starts :shrug:

So Disrespectful
May 2nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Hitting the ball hard and landing it in the court most of the time.

If that's not physically possible, running lots of balls down and landing the ball in the court all of the time.

Consistency.

eck
May 2nd, 2009, 08:42 AM
Mentality.

I don't think serving makes that big of a difference, it may for some (Ivo Karlovic :tape:), but if you have the groundies to back it up (which is what Dr Ivo doesn't have), then you'd do well.

mne22
May 2nd, 2009, 09:00 AM
Ivo Karlovic has a serve and mediocre to poor everything else. He has made a career on a single stroke. Having a good serve can take you farther than having a good anything else.

Mattographer
May 2nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
Footwork is important if you're playing on clay ;)