PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Venus has passed her peak and will never win another grand slam?

bobbynorwich
Apr 19th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Venus doesn't seem to have the same fight --- desire --- that she used to have. I love her game, but wonder whether she can go the distance in the Grand Slams, especially against the crop of young turks nipping at her heals. Your thoughts?

Rocketta
Apr 19th, 2009, 12:38 AM
yup, she's done for it...... her fans are devestated and we will just have to cajole ourselves with her stellar career. :shrug:

NEXT...... :wavey:

oh btw, how long before your next bitchfest about how bad you are being treated on this board? Just wondering when I can get my next laugh? :D

spiritedenergy
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:08 AM
:weirdo:

She's won 4 tournies and reached the SF in Miami since last fall, actually i think her fight and desire came back now, they were lacking in the past 4-5 years. Where have you been hiding?:lol:

Sammm
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Venus had a peak? :weirdo:

VRULES
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:11 AM
one word:

WIMBLEDON

She has said she wants more, that 5 isn't enough. So she still has fight, maybe not for the day in-day out grind of the tour (particularly clay), but no one should ever question her desire to dominate Wimbledon. This is even if you assume she has lost her fight for everything else, which I feel she hasn't.

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Venus doesn't seem to have the same fight --- desire --- that she used to have. I love her game, but wonder whether she can go the distance in the Grand Slams, especially against the crop of young turks nipping at her heals. Your thoughts?

Agreed.
She's done. She'll be lucky to get past second round at SW19.

LightWarrior
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Do we need another stupid poll like this, just because she lost early in Charleston ? Venus will be THE favourite at Wimbledon, therefore this thread should be deleted.

Sammm
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Agreed.

Smashnova might come out of retirement and double bagel her :banana:

bobbynorwich
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Agreed.

She might not be done and hopefully she can muster the fight, I'm just not sure. She's 29 now and there are many contenders 8-11 years her junior. And the last few times, she seems not like her old self where winning looked almost effortless. It's worth hearing all views about this topic, regardless.

Marshmallow
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:39 AM
:speakles:

I thought this was an attempted joke, that was just an epic fail.

Pasta-Na
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:40 AM
grass? :shrug:

drake3781
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:43 AM
It's supposed to be "already pass her peak".

Pasta-Na
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:44 AM

:o

drake3781
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:06 AM
^^ bugger off, dumdum.

bobbynorwich
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:11 AM

To say "already pass her peak" is grammatically incorrect. It should be past tense ("passed her peak") and without "already" which is redundant.

drake3781
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:14 AM
To say "already pass her peak" is grammatically incorrect. It should be past tense ("passed her peak") and without "already" which is redundant.

:rolleyes:

It is a board joke. I won't explain.

Volcana
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:16 AM
'Passed her peak' and 'never win another slam' are different things. In 2000, Martina Hingis won nine tournaments, including five Tier I's, and the YEC, and was ranked #1 almost every week of the year. But was already, unbeknowst to us, in the part of her career where she'd 'never win another slam'. Kinda hard to argue she was 'passed her peak' though, isn't it?

In 2000 Yes.

slamchamp
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:16 AM
these are samsam's threads :o

slamchamp
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:17 AM
it's not because of that he said it newbie

Bijoux0021
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Yes, now go get some milk and cookies :rolleyes:
Co-sign.

madlove
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:21 AM
yes, she has passed her peak but she can still win another grandslam or two...

Apoleb
This thread needs to die, and should be revived only after Venus loses at Wimbledon.

So please, nobody responds to this thread after me. :p

Noctis

Your making yourself look like a Giant ass hater instead。of a fan。
and you dont anything about tennis。For example saying dementieva has a Great mental strength but weak serve keeping her from winning slams,My thoughts is think before you start a thread,

bobbynorwich
'Passed her peak' and 'never win another slam' are different things. In 2000, Martina Hingis won nine tournaments, including five Tier I's, and the YEC, and was ranked #1 almost every week of the year. But was already, unbeknowst to us, in the part of her career where she'd 'never win another slam'. Kinda hard to argue she was 'passed her peak' though, isn't it?

In 2000 Yes.

Good point.

Vlover
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:28 AM
We have been hearing this wishful thinking :bs: from the Venus envy club since '04 and yet to be realized.:lol: BTW why this obsession with Venus lately?

bobbynorwich
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Your making yourself look like a Giant ass hater instead。of a fan。
and you dont anything about tennis。For example saying dementieva has a Great mental strength but weak serve keeping her from winning slams,My thoughts is think before you start a thread,

I "dont anything about tennis" --- huh?

You can be a fan and still express worries about how she is doing. Being a fan is not all rah-rah-rah.

Besides Venus and 6 other players, I'm a fan of Elena's but know that she needs a faster serve. I didn't say Elena has great mental strength, rather that "she's gotten mentally stronger in the past 2 years" and that the maturing probably will continue.

It is possible to have a discussion of opposing views without stooping to personal attacks on those who disagree --- who may well also be fans of the same player. Chill time.

Alex72
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Barring injury she can be a threat at Wimbledon into her early 30s.

Noctis
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:54 AM
1。Its stupid to ask We know shes capable of winning a Slam
2。She never had a peak Shes still Winning Matches not like shes in a slump。
3。Your asking a question that everyone will have the same view。Which is stupid give us nothing to discuss。
4。Make threads thats your own idea not copying off SamSam

choi15
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:05 AM
This thread needs to die, and should be revived only IF Venus loses at Wimbledon.

So please, nobody responds to this thread after me. :p

Your welcome ;)

On topic:

A little early no? She's won 2 tournaments already...better than a lot of other players who are suppose to be the "up and comers..." btw, 2005 Wimbledon anyone :devil::drool:

SV_Fan
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Peak or no peak she is still "the f*cking venus williams" just like serena is the "head b*tch in charge" no matter what form they are in they will always be dangerous and no girl wants them in her side of the draw. Commentators reitterate that over and over again, if vee wants a clay title or french open she'll get it but thats not where heart is. Grass is to Venus as Clay is to Seles.

If you dont understand that there is just no hope left.

AnywhereButHome
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:10 AM
:lol::spit:what a stupid topic :lol::spit::haha::armed:

:topic:

DaMatz
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:18 AM
:lol::spit:what a stupid topic :lol::spit::haha::armed:

:topic:

You say it, totally stupid :lol:. Venus is always able to win slams :).

Ceri
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:20 AM
If she's healthy, Venus is always a strong contender for the titles, especially on grass. Her Wimbledon record is phenomenal - I'm not a fan but I always enjoy watching her play on the grass each year.

bad_angel_109
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:28 AM
i voted yes, but the only reason is coz i think venus will win wimby again this year. as for the AO, RG and USO, i dont she has a chance winning them. harsh but its the truth and my opinion. up and coming youngsters AND venus has age against her (she aint getting any younger). plus i'd be surprised if sharapova can regain her amazing form from last year (particularly during the AO) and win another GS within 12 months of returning to the tour.

just my 2 cents. btw i dont think many if the 'veterans' (hantuchova, momo, dementieva, etc.) will win a grand slam before they retire. they can play good consistent tennis with a few great games here and there but its elementary my dear that the game is constantly changing and the youngsters have (imo) the hunger and desire to win a GS than the veterans imo. ;)

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:29 AM
:speakles:

I thought this was an attempted joke, that was just an epic fail.

Agreed. This poster is all about trying to create controversy. If he's not whining about the Moderators then he's trying to stir up stuff by baiting one fan base against another.

Pretty transparent.

Slutiana
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:48 AM
RIP Venus WIlliams Career - 1997-2009 :inlove:

Bartosh
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:57 AM
yeah I think Venus will end her career tomorrow :shrug:

santhuruu
Apr 19th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I still think she will do good on grass courts and hardcourts, but definetely I would love to see her winning a major outside Wimbledon again, I wouldn't mind if she would lose Wimbledon and win the US Open or win the French Open (yes mission impossible) and not winning Wimbledon

Miss Amor
Apr 19th, 2009, 11:09 AM
You are 4 years late in making this thread.

Every doubter was saying that in 2005 about both Venus and Serena and how their games were in declining. Look what happened :wavey:

bobbynorwich
Apr 19th, 2009, 12:55 PM

In 2000 Yes.

Yes, they are different things. Maybe then it should be too different threads: 1) Has Venus passed her peak, 2) Will Venus win another slam. But lumping two different concepts together does make for some interesting and convoluted debates. ;)

Part of the issue is how to define 'passing the peak.'

Is 'passing the peak' not being able to regain one's best ranking? For Venus that was the #1 ranking, 7 years ago in 2002. But she's 6th now, so it is within reach and quite conceivable.

Or is 'passing the peak' being beyond the midpoint in career titles? Venus has 41 career singles titles in her 15 year career (turned pro in 1994), not quite 3 a year. It's doubtful that she will earn more than 82 career titles so she's probably past the halfway mark on that measure.

Or is 'passing the peak' being able to play consistently without injury due to increasing age. Venus doesn't seem any more injury-prone than other players of any age and hasn't lost much speed or endurance on the court. So she could have longevity and possibly is not passed her physical prowess peak yet.

Now to the related, but different, issue of the ability to win another grand slam. Certainly she has a very good shot at Wimbly, especially with her record and win in 2008. But she hasn't made a final in any other GS since 2003, with her most recent best in 2007 getting to the SFs of the US Open. My bet is that she has another Wimbledon win in her, barring some new grass phenom suddenly appearing.

Maybe then she has not peaked, but is on the cusp? Regardless, Venus has had a grand career and likely has some good years left.

Noctis
Apr 19th, 2009, 12:59 PM
:bs:

bobbynorwich
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:59 PM
1。Its stupid to ask We know shes capable of winning a Slam
3。Your asking a question that everyone will have the same view。Which is stupid give us nothing to discuss。

Actually almost 3 out of 10 in the poll disagree that she can reach another slam. However, I personally think she could win another Wimbly, as mentioned on an earlier post.

The purpose of the threads is to have polite and constructive debate, which is what this is. What is the problem? :confused:

4。Make threads thats your own idea not copying off SamSam

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Don't you like it when someone starts a new thread inspired by one of yours?

Kart
Apr 19th, 2009, 04:55 PM
The purpose of the threads is to have polite and constructive debate, which is what this is. What is the problem? :confused:

The problem is that your opening post offers no evidence as to what you base the statement 'Venus doesn't have the same fight as she used to' on.

Are you really surprised that posters on here are questioning your motives ?

I would venture you are more likely to establish constructive debate with a well-reasoned opening argument than you are with a one lined purely subjective statement.

Horizon
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Peak or no peak she is still "the f*cking venus williams" just like serena is the "head b*tch in charge" no matter what form they are in they will always be dangerous and no girl wants them in her side of the draw. Commentators reitterate that over and over again, if vee wants a clay title or french open she'll get it but thats not where heart is. Grass is to Venus as Clay is to Seles.

If you dont understand that there is just no hope left.
I'm pretty sure Venus wants a French Open, and guess what, she's not going to get it :wavey:

I hate the way WS fans think that they are capable of absolute mastery of the sport, I don't care if she is the fucking Venus Williams, she is not God and she is not a good enough clay courter to win Roland Garros :o

You are 4 years late in making this thread.

Every doubter was saying that in 2005 about both Venus and Serena and how their games were in declining. Look what happened :wavey:
4 years ago they were 25 and 23.

Now they are 29 and 27, and no matter how highly you or any other WS fans think of them, they are not all powerful and do not defy the test of time. They are nearing the ends of their careers, this question is much more legitimate now. :rolleyes:

Craigy
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Is that you samsamspam? :unsure:

bobbynorwich
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:49 PM
The problem is that your opening post offers no evidence as to what you base the statement 'Venus doesn't have the same fight as she used to' on.

Are you really surprised that posters on here are questioning your motives ?

I would venture you are more likely to establish constructive debate with a well-reasoned opening argument than you are with a one lined purely subjective statement.

Actually I made two specific arguments and one implied one, although not spelling them out in much detail.
The original post stated that “Venus seems not to have the same fight” which is much less declarative than your re-phrasing of “Venus doesn’t have the same fight.” This is necessarily a subjective impression as there is no ‘fight meter’ to measure it objectively.
The first post also said that there are many talented and much younger players for her to compete against, implying that a 8-11 year age difference can make it harder for her to achieve the same results from her younger days, which is an objective argument.
What was implied but not stated (as too obvious to be needed) is that the most players at age 29+ are on the backside of their careers, partly due to physical weardown and partly due to the emotional grind of the pro tour.I think there is something to be said also for: 1) not getting too concrete in setting out an initial post as it overly narrows the range of responses, 2) assuming a certain level of intelligence of readers/posters to infer from the post. Given the range of arguments on most opening posts in WTF from bizarre to non-existent, this one is well within those boundaries.

Noctis
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Kart is Right.So just listen.

bobbynorwich
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Kart is Right.So just listen.

http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_udaman.gif

Kart
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Actually I made two specific arguments and one implied one, although not spelling them out in much detail.
The original post stated that “Venus seems not to have the same fight” which is much less declarative than your re-phrasing of “Venus doesn’t have the same fight.” This is necessarily a subjective impression as there is no ‘fight meter’ to measure it objectively.
The first post also said that there are many talented and much younger players for her to compete against, implying that a 8-11 year age difference can make it harder for her to achieve the same results from her younger days, which is an objective argument.
What was implied but not stated (as too obvious to be needed) is that the most players at age 29+ are on the backside of their careers, partly due to physical weardown and partly due to the emotional grind of the pro tour.The number of specific arguments you made and my paraphrasing you (though I take your point there, it was unintentional) are somewhat irrelevant as I wasn't answering the original question, more responding to the post I quoted.

My point is simply that, if you open a thread with one line that is more implied than stated, you leave it open to wide interpretation.

Which is why you've generated some of the responses you have in here.

I think there is something to be said also for: 1) not getting too concrete in setting out an initial post as it overly narrows the range of responses, 2) assuming a certain level of intelligence of readers/posters to infer from the post. Given the range of arguments on most opening posts in WTF from bizarre to non-existent, this one is well within those boundaries.

Of course there's plenty to be said but both points you have made are only of use in the right context. This is an internet message board with no age limit - populated by anonymous children, adolescents, adults and who knows what else.

Not everyone has the same intentions, nor indeed the same interpretations of anything. Throw into that fact the variation in cultural backgrounds, numerous hypersensitivities on various topics and communication skills and you have the potential for almost any situation to develop into conflict.

Given that you've already observed the numerous bizarre topics on here, I'm surprised you don't appreciate that.

Incidentally, I have no criticism of the topic of this thread - as you've said, it's well within boundaries - just trying to help you achieve your purpose.

Noctis
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Kart bumped a dead thread :(

Justin
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Yes and no.

She is passed her peak but she will win another grand slam.

Sally Struthers
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I think she has passed her peak but she will win another slam

Diesel
Apr 19th, 2009, 10:04 PM
There's always hope that she is passed it.

Denise4925
Apr 20th, 2009, 05:59 PM
yup, she's done for it...... her fans are devestated and we will just have to cajole ourselves with her stellar career. :shrug:

NEXT...... :wavey:

oh btw, how long before your next bitchfest about how bad you are being treated on this board? Just wondering when I can get my next laugh? :D

:worship::worship::worship:

Denise4925
Apr 20th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Why didn't you start this thread after she won the Wimbledon, YEC, Dubai and Acapulco? :confused: Because she lost Charleston, she's passed her peak and will never win another GS? :weirdo:

You talk about getting personal attacks, but this kind of stupid ass thread invites it. :shrug: I wonder if you are a Venus fan, because fans wouldn't invite criticism of their fave, unless it was warranted and in this case, it's certainly not.

vogus
Apr 20th, 2009, 08:53 PM
LOL. Venus Williams peak was in 2002. You are seven years late.
I said in '06 that VW would never win another Slam, because i didn't foresee the vaccuum in the tour that would allow her to sneak 2 more Wimby titles. I wouldn't pick against VW at Wimby this year, although i think Serena or a resurgent Sharapova are both more likely to win it (my personal hope is that Dementieva will finally get her head out of her ass and win Wimby this year).

Denise4925
Apr 20th, 2009, 09:19 PM
LOL. Venus Williams peak was in 2002. You are seven years late.
I said in '06 that VW would never win another Slam, because i didn't foresee the vaccuum in the tour that would allow her to sneak 2 more Wimby titles. I wouldn't pick against VW at Wimby this year, although i think Serena or a resurgent Sharapova are both more likely to win it (my personal hope is that Dementieva will finally get her head out of her ass and win Wimby this year).

:bs:

Then, let that be the reason she won. Would that also be the reason Amelie won two slams in '06 or Justine won so convincingly in '07 or Ana won RG in '08 or any other slam winner won in '06 and beyond? What kind of vacuum in the tour has to occur before Elena wins a slam?

starin
Apr 20th, 2009, 09:24 PM
yes the tour is too deep. the competition is too tough.

ohh wait should i wait until someone other than a Williams wins a slam? cuz up to that point I think the tour is incredibly weak.

Denise4925
Apr 20th, 2009, 09:25 PM
yes the tour is too deep. the competition is too tough.

ohh wait should i wait until someone other than a Williams wins a slam? cuz up to that point I think the tour is incredibly weak.

:lol:

Marshmallow
Apr 20th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Why didn't you start this thread after she won the Wimbledon, YEC, Dubai and Acapulco? :confused: Because she lost Charleston, she's passed her peak and will never win another GS? :weirdo:

You talk about getting personal attacks, but this kind of stupid ass thread invites it. :shrug: I wonder if you are a Venus fan, because fans wouldn't invite criticism of their fave, unless it was warranted and in this case, it's certainly not.

Nothing more to add. :worship:

Helen Lawson
Apr 20th, 2009, 10:32 PM
It's tougher to get "passed" Serena's peaks than Venus'.

bobbynorwich
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I wonder if you are a Venus fan, because fans wouldn't invite criticism of their fave, unless it was warranted and in this case, it's certainly not.

One can be a fan of a player and still welcome debate about her. I like Davenport too, but have argued the merits of her retiring. Life is a cycle of ups and downs. Venus is a fabulous player with incredible strokes, a tremendous person of character off the court, and a great ambassador for the sport of tennis. I'm her fan, but can tolerate discussions about her pros and cons without getting all bent out of shape.

VishaalMaria
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah because being the current Wimbledon Queen and the current YEC champion, but losing early in a relatively minor tournament means you're so obviously passed your peak and that you wont win a slam anytime soon.

Makes a great deal of sense. Really. Well done.

Marshmallow
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Yeah because being the current Wimbledon Queen and the current YEC champion, but losing early in a relatively minor tournament means you're so obviously passed your peak and that you wont win a slam anytime soon.

Makes a great deal of sense. Really. Well done.

:speakles: :hug: You just sort of... Vanished. :hug:

G1Player2
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:36 PM
One can be a fan of a player and still welcome debate about her. I like Davenport too, but have argued the merits of her retiring. Life is a cycle of ups and downs. Venus is a fabulous player with incredible strokes, a tremendous person of character off the court, and a great ambassador for the sport of tennis. I'm her fan, but can tolerate discussions about her pros and cons without getting all bent out of shape.

You're not a Venus fan. A Venus fan would have never created this thread. Besides that, for you to create this thread because Venus lost in a minor tournament to a player who eventually won the event tells me you aren't a true fan considering the fact she has won 4 tournaments in a 5 month period.
And, if anything, no matter how Venus is playing in other tournaments, she always steps it up at Wimbledon if anything so you're spiel of "Will she ever win another Grand Slam?" is flawed.

G1Player2
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:36 PM
:speakles: :hug: You just sort of... Vanished. :hug:

So did you. :hug: :)

Denise4925
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:38 PM

But you started the thread to invite criticism, whether constructive or not in a very intense period on the board after she lost. This board is not about you and your tolerance level. Kart gave you an example how your question does not invite discussion about her pros and cons. If you wanted to discuss the pros and cons of Venus, there's plenty of room in her forum or your question could have been about her technique or whatever you wanted to discuss the pros and cons of, but whether she has passed her peak or whether she will win another slam, after she she won Wimbledon, Dubai and Acapulco? That just doesn't make any sense.

moby
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Yes. And no.

Venus's response to this thread:

1sgHVPuLjCc

Marshmallow
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:41 PM

What a bizarre method of encouraging discussion about the pros and cons of a player you're a fan of. Firstly accusing Mods of showing Venus favouritism by closing any thread that criticises her, and then starting a 'serious debate' about her never winning a slam again even though she's the defending Wimbledon Champion (having defended the title) and final won the season ending championships for the first time. This is the right time to invite people to wax lyrically about weaknesses that will prevent Venus succeeding at a slam again?

Like starting to draft an obituary just after the birth of a child. :scratch:

Noctis
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:41 PM
If your not Smart enough to listen to Kart and let this thread die,
Your。Future Is not gunna be bright

Noctis
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:44 PM
And i proof my point as your too embarrase to show your reputation level。

Uranium
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Yes. And no.

Venus's response to this thread:

1sgHVPuLjCc

:inlove:

Marshmallow
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:48 PM
So did you. :hug: :)

Lol, but against my will. :hug: ^.^

Craig.
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:51 PM
But you started the thread to invite criticism, whether constructive or not in a very intense period on the board after she lost. This board is not about you and your tolerance level. Kart gave you an example how your question does not invite discussion about her pros and cons. If you wanted to discuss the pros and cons of Venus, there's plenty of room in her forum or your question could have been about her technique or whatever you wanted to discuss the pros and cons of, but whether she has passed her peak or whether she will win another slam, after she she won Wimbledon, Dubai and Acapulco? That just doesn't make any sense.

And Doha ;)

Denise4925
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:53 PM
And Doha ;)

:) Thanks Craig.

Bijoux0021
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:55 PM
This clown/attention seeker is no Venus' fan. He's a hater. I don't know what he's afraid of.:o

bobbynorwich
Apr 21st, 2009, 12:00 AM
Hey guys, just relax and settle down a bit.

First of all, you are confusing asking the question in a thread with answering it. The thread does not declare that "Venus has passed her peak and will never win another grand slam" --- rather it asks that question. One asks a question when not sure, not when they already know the answer, so try not to confuse the two.

And further the results of the poll where 7 out of 10 think she'll win another slam is validating of her prospects. How would we ever know that that many people are optimistic about another slam if we didn't ask the question?

Part of the purpose of these threads is debate, not just to be a rah-rah cheering section for a fave. For this reason, I am dismayed that so many other Venus fans get very upset when any posters dare to voice a criticism of her and when legitimate Venus debate threads are shutdown for no reason. I think it hurts Venus' cause by turning off other potential fans because of the rabidness of some.

new-york
Apr 21st, 2009, 12:04 AM
i think this question has passed its peak but it doesn't seem to stop being asked.

so who knows.

G1Player2
Apr 21st, 2009, 12:06 AM

First of all, you are confusing asking the question in a thread with answering it. The thread does not declare that "Venus has passed her peak and will never win another grand slam" --- rather it asks that question. One asks a question when not sure, not when they already know the answer, so try not to confuse the two.

And further the results of the poll where 7 out of 10 think she'll win another slam is validating of her prospects. How would we ever know that that many people are optimistic about another slam if we didn't ask the question?

Part of the purpose of these threads is debate, not just to be a rah-rah cheering section for a fave. For this reason, I am dismayed that so many other Venus fans get very upset when any posters dare to voice a criticism of her and when legitimate Venus debate threads are shutdown for no reason. I think it hurts Venus' cause by turning off other potential fans because of the rabidness of some.

:yawn: Stop the melodrama. Everyone and their mother knows that you are no fan of Venus. If you were so concerned about Venus and her prospects why not visit her player forum? I am sure you don't even know where it's located. :rolleyes: This thread was created to criticize Venus and attack her and that is the ONLY reason. If everyone in this thread said that "Venus is fine, she'll defo win another slam, etc." and said nothing but positive things to say about her even if it was slight constructive criticism, this thread wouldn't be a success to you and you know it.

Noctis
Apr 21st, 2009, 12:07 AM
Its because someones bumping the thread every often。

VishaalMaria
Apr 21st, 2009, 12:09 AM
:rolleyes:Its because someones bumping the thread every often。

Yeah, that tends to happen on a messageboard...............

Denise4925
Apr 21st, 2009, 12:16 AM

:lol: Get real. 7 out of 10 thinks she will because it's common sense based on her performance of late and you don't need a thread to ask the question if you have common sense. The only reason you would create such a thread is either you just crawled out from under a rock you went under in 2004 or you want to be provocative.

[Part of the purpose of these threads is debate, not just to be a rah-rah cheering section for a fave. For this reason, I am dismayed that so many other Venus fans get very upset when any posters dare to voice a criticism of her and when legitimate Venus debate threads are shutdown for no reason. I think it hurts Venus' cause by turning off other potential fans because of the rabidness of some.

How old do you think we are? :lol:

new-york
Apr 21st, 2009, 12:17 AM
On the other hand, we could also be creative.

My mother used to tell me, "when you don't like the question, answer to the one you'd have like to be asked".

so i think Venus' season so far is pretty good.
the CSN match was pretty costly as she could have used some more useful points but honestly the Dubai & Acapulco wins make me want to be very positive.

Venus is holding Wimbledon, Zurich, The YEC, Dubai, and Acapulco.
When we were saying after Wimz08 that she couldn't win anything else, she is has now won, a YEC and one of the biggest title one hard.

The AO & RG are not trophies that will get closer to her hands as the time passes, obviously but i'll be worried the day she loses early at the USO.

Uranium
Apr 21st, 2009, 12:19 AM

The purpose of the thread is to debate? What debate is going on when 90% of the posts are mocking the stupidity of this thread and disagreeing. And as for that 3 out of 10 that voted yes, I am willing to bet that most of them are haters, not all of them, but MOST of them, once again showing this thread is useless.

mdterp01
Apr 21st, 2009, 12:29 AM
:yawn: :zzz:

Marshmallow
Apr 21st, 2009, 12:34 AM

In the same way an undercover hater would ask a question and so encourage others to expand on the statement for them, thereby seemingly keeping their own hands clean?

Like Denise said,most likely through common sense.

It's not, nor does it have to be that dichotomous. You don't have to choose either extreme, and certainly don't have to use such bizarre means to stimulate discussion. And isn't that just dandy; "rabid Venus fans hurt Venus' cause". Isn't that one tired line Venus and Serena haters have been singing for years? How convenient it seems to be a suitable conclusion to the effects of this bizarre thread.

I also don't understand why a genuine Venus fan can't at least acknowledge the concerns of other Venus fans. But we are all different after all.

Noctis
Apr 21st, 2009, 12:58 AM
Basically You need to find a real definition of being a fan。Support not Complain everytime。

friendsita
Apr 21st, 2009, 01:36 AM
she will win Wimby 09

DA FOREHAND
Apr 21st, 2009, 01:44 AM
where's the "could be could be not....who's ta say" option?

Sund7101
Apr 21st, 2009, 02:32 AM
Venus will for sure win another Wimby before she retires, I think she can win a U.S. Open title as well.

bobbynorwich
Apr 21st, 2009, 02:36 AM
A wise poster (ChrisCHorse) on the thread "Who has passed their peak and will never win another slam" offers the following perspective:
So when do I assume a player won't win another slam? For those who have, I would continue to consider them to have a possibility of winning Slams until they go to around age 28 or 29, AND showed significant signs of diminishing abilities, and by that I don't mean dropping out of the top 5, I mean dropping out of top 20, for a proven Slam winner.

In other words, I think I would be prepared to say I don't think there are anymore Slams in Amelie Mauresmo's future. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility of anyone else in the top 12 winning Slams at some point in the future.
This analysis is interesting as well as helpful in giving a good perspective to Venus' bid for Wimbledon as she has only met one of those conditions --- not both. Talk about a cusp.

bobbynorwich
Apr 21st, 2009, 06:41 PM
where's the "could be could be not....who's ta say" option?
Yes, an option missed.

Noctis
Apr 21st, 2009, 06:54 PM
Why are you bumping a 16 hour dead thread :o

vwfan
Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
:confused:

I predict: 4 more in singles, 3 more in doubles, and another Olympic Gold.

mne22
Apr 22nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
Her peak is long gone. I think she has her chances for another slam this year largely(Wimbledon) and a decent shot(US), but I feel if she doesn't win a slam this year her last slam will forever stay 2008 Wimbledon. If all of her fans are saying she is in her best form and most consistent since her peak and she isn't doing much at the slams then what is the point. The French is out the question.

bobbynorwich
Apr 23rd, 2009, 12:45 AM
:confused:

I predict: 4 more in singles, 3 more in doubles, and another Olympic Gold.

Better guess is 1 or 2 more Wimbledon singles. For Olympics, she'd be 34, unlikely.

Uranium
Apr 23rd, 2009, 12:49 AM
Better guess is 1 or 2 more Wimbledon singles. For Olympics, she'd be 34, unlikely.

She'd be 32, and your whole reason in your other post with ChrisChorse was that she was 29, how the hell does that mean she won't win a slam again?:weirdo:

LANGAM
Apr 23rd, 2009, 01:14 AM
Will these sort of questions ever end? For how many years has she proved people wrong again and again. Until the day she retires from tennis, there is always a chance that Venus can win slams.

bobbynorwich
Apr 23rd, 2009, 03:45 PM
She'd be 32, and your whole reason in your other post with ChrisChorse was that she was 29, how the hell does that mean she won't win a slam again?:weirdo:

I said 1 or 2 more, not none. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbynorwich http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images2007/buttons/lastpost.gif (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=15474180#post15474180)

azinna
Apr 23rd, 2009, 03:54 PM
someone hasn't been following Venus very long....as far as 1st half of seasons go, she's doing pretty well compared to her years of dominance.

Uranium
Apr 24th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I said 1 or 2 more, not none. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbynorwich http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/wtaworld/images2007/buttons/lastpost.gif (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=15474180#post15474180)

Good for you, I quoted that post for you not being able to figure out her age:o
For the rest, I was referring to
A wise poster (ChrisCHorse) on the thread "Who has passed their peak and will never win another slam" offers the following perspective:
So when do I assume a player won't win another slam? For those who have, I would continue to consider them to have a possibility of winning Slams until they go to around age 28 or 29, AND showed significant signs of diminishing abilities, and by that I don't mean dropping out of the top 5, I mean dropping out of top 20, for a proven Slam winner.

In other words, I think I would be prepared to say I don't think there are anymore Slams in Amelie Mauresmo's future. But I wouldn't rule out the possibility of anyone else in the top 12 winning Slams at some point in the future.

This analysis is interesting as well as helpful in giving a good perspective to Venus' bid for Wimbledon as she has only met one of those conditions --- not both. Talk about a cusp.

Apoleb
Jul 4th, 2009, 03:54 PM
:confused::confused::confused:

Emina.
Jul 4th, 2009, 03:56 PM
No

Emina.
Jul 4th, 2009, 03:56 PM
:weirdo:

Uranium
Jul 4th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I just hope this loss sparks Venus, like it did Serena last year, into winning the US Open.

hacberto
Jul 4th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Venus is gonna win the US Open and the Australina Open. Just Wait!!
Good Luck Venus! Love U.

Denise4925
Jul 4th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Venus will win the US Open this year. :D

Apoleb
Jul 6th, 2010, 07:04 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

(In memory of samsam and Denise. :worship:)

Uranium
Jul 6th, 2010, 07:08 PM
She's going to win the US Open
:worship::worship::worship:

mdterp01
Jul 6th, 2010, 08:59 PM
She'll still be more of a contender for Wimbledon next year than many of your faves :wavey:

Inger67
Jul 6th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Here's to the US Open! :hearts:

shoryuken
Jul 6th, 2010, 09:33 PM
GO VENUS! :hearts:

VishaalMaria
Jul 6th, 2010, 09:34 PM
I honestly don't think so.

DiogoP.
Jul 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM
If she wins another slam, I think it will be wimbledon.

bandabou
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:37 PM
She isn't adapting like Serena did..

Human Nature
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Maybe quarters or semis ..but nothing more .. .

VishaalMaria
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:51 PM
She isn't adapting like Serena did..

Again I'm going to have to agree.

As long as she keeps playing and keeps losing at the slams, sooner rather than later she'll click.

Stamp Paid
Jul 6th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I just hope this loss sparks Venus, like it did Serena last year, into winning the US Open.

She's going to win the US Open
:worship::worship::worship:http://i49.tinypic.com/15oigic.jpg

omoruyi
Jul 6th, 2010, 11:19 PM
well if she doesnt win the next major, she will officially have her longest stretch of 'un-dominance' :banghead: In comparison to Serena, she seems to be less likely to win at each turn but certainly still capable...a contender everywhere, she still is.

But i hope she gets to double digits as it would more properly represent her greatness as a player/talent.(if not as a performer overall)... I VEE-lieve :angel:

nfl46
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Hell No!

Lord Choc Ice
Jul 7th, 2010, 01:41 AM
I'm losing faith. Prove me wrong please Venus.