PDA

View Full Version : Holding a long note for 18 seconds using saxophone!?!

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM
BlOzdL9E7G0
That last note is amazing!:worship: Not easy to control your breathe and also blow it out like that.:worship: The whole song is amazing too!:yeah:

skanky~skanketta
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:35 AM
cute too!

Kworb
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Wow that was great. Reminds me of Adam Lambert not breathing for 22 seconds in this performance.

DJYyqzUr6jU

3:22-3:43

Apr 19th, 2009, 03:17 AM
i thought it was a great performance, but not outstanding. The 18 seconds is pretty standard in clarinet/sax/woodwind players

Albireo
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:30 AM
That last note is amazing!:worship: Not easy to control your breathe and also blow it out like that.:worship: The whole song is amazing too!:yeah:

Not a particularly demanding piece technically, but the final note was tricky--on a soprano sax, holding a long note takes more control than on larger saxes, because of the narrow bore (which makes for a narrower airstream, and therefore is less forgiving of variations in the air behind a note).

I suspect he was using circular breathing, but the video made it a bit hard to tell. I watched a guy in a hotel band play soprano and smoke a cigarette at the same time, which was a pretty impressive feat, too.

/played tenor for thirty years

lympyisthebest
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Don't think that performance was anything that extraordinary. I'm pretty sure a lot of music students would be able to play that piece without any trouble.

i thought it was a great performance, but not outstanding. The 18 seconds is pretty standard in clarinet/sax/woodwind players

Agreed, for clarinet/sax players 18 seconds is not much. Even on flute/pic, the wind instruments which uses the most air, 18 seconds is pretty standard.