PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Pam Keep Saying Serena Nor Venus Will Win The FO This Year?

lizchris
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Isn't Venus the first player to win a red clay court title this year so far? And against a player who beat her the year before on red clay. If Venus' serve is consistent and she puts her mind to it, she can win. Same with Serena. Pam keeps forgetting that Serena is the only other active FO women's champion.

Craig.
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:41 PM
She's not saying that, you oversensitive fool :weirdo:

Daniela-Is-Mine
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Ana is an active FO champ...

Uranium
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Venus is not the first to win on red clay...of big names she is, but Mariajo Martinez Sanchez won Bogota just before Acapulco.

jjcrew#1
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Because she just doesnt believe that they will win its an opinion! she doesnt think their games suit the clay courts at Rolland Garros!

Andrew Laeddis
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Venus is not winning the FO. (I wouldnt mind be proven wrong though) Serena can but Im not sure she will.

Pam also said, with a great deal of certainty, that Ivanovic will not be defending her title.

UDACHi
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:44 PM
she must hate black people!

Andrew Laeddis
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:47 PM

She didnt hate me the other night.

Pam :drool:

CoolDude7
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I like it when people doubt the WS; that makes them play better. I watched the match and Venus was way to inconsistent to win the FO! Based on that match I would have to agree.

Ferg
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:49 PM

omg! :eek:

tennnisfannn
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Venus is not the first to win on red clay...of big names she is, but Mariajo Martinez Sanchez won Bogota just before Acapulco.
I guess of the possibe contenders, Venus is the first!

DownTheLine21
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Venus is not winning the FO. (I wouldnt mind be proven wrong though) Serena can but Im not sure she will.

Pam also said, with a great deal of certainty, that Ivanovic will not be defending her title.

I know. She was kind of laughing as she said it. We'll see, Pam.

sweetpeas
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:00 PM
She didnt hate me the other night.

Pam

Thanks!Just love it!:wavey::bounce::kiss::lol:

-VSR-
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Because they haven't proven themselves at Roland Garros since 2002... well Serena did well in 2003 before 'the hand'.

Infiniti2001
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Why Liz why? Everyone is entitled to their opinion DAMMIT :rolleyes:

lizchris
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Why Liz why? Everyone is entitled to their opinion DAMMIT :rolleyes:

As am I which is why I started the post.

She has doubted Venus could ever wina slam again after 2004 and last time I checked, Venus won Wimbledon three times.

2moretogo
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Because they haven't proven themselves at Roland Garros since 2002... well Serena did well in 2003 before 'the hand'.

Exactly. Plus Ree and Vee love it when people count them out. :o

Fabunny
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Pam also said that it was too early in the clay court season to pick a favorite because the favorite usually shows herself during the European swing.

Given that Venus has not produced her best tennis at Roland Garros, I was not offended at all. Venus has the potential to play well at RG and needs to step it up.

I want Venus to win the French AND Wimbledon. However, if performing well at the French will jeopardize Venus' chances of lifting the Venus Rosewater Dish for a 6th time, then Fuck Roland Garros. I would rather get a decent performance from Venus at the French and another Win at Wimbledon.

Infiniti2001
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Pam also said that it was too early in the clay court season to pick a favorite because the favorite usually shows herself during the European swing.

Given that Venus has not produced her best tennis at Roland Garros, I was not offended at all. Venus has the potential to play well at RG and needs to step it up.

I want Venus to win the French AND Wimbledon. However, if performing well at the French will jeopardize Venus' chances of lifting the Venus Rosewater Dish for a 6th time, then Fuck Roland Garros. I would rather get a decent performance from Venus at the French and another Win at Wimbledon.

Me too :hearts:

Jarl_02
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Just because they won't :)

sammy01
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Isn't Venus the first player to win a red clay court title this year so far? And against a player who beat her the year before on red clay. If Venus' serve is consistent and she puts her mind to it, she can win. Same with Serena. Pam keeps forgetting that Serena is the only other active FO women's champion.

theres just so many stupid things in the thread starters post. 1stly ivanovic is an active french champion, 2ndly venus won acapulco which was the 2nd title to be won on red clay this year, and if you look at the past champions of acapulco do any scream 'french open champion', 3rdly is pam not allowed an opinion, or is she only allowed one saying 'williams sisters rule':help:

Matt01
Apr 18th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Because she does know a thing or two about tennis...

MaBaker
Apr 18th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Because Jelena will :shrug:

AnywhereButHome
Apr 18th, 2009, 09:24 PM
cause she is FUCKIN BITCH!!!!

bobbynorwich
Apr 18th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Shriver is just one person, her opinion and $2 could just about buy a cup of coffee. Don't take her too seriously.

FoxyliciousKhat
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:02 PM
She's not saying that, you oversensitive fool :weirdo:

I agree. Plus it's not either one best surface so it's only logical to think (while they are champions) someone who's better on the surface has a better shot.

It Venus and or Serena job to prove her, others and maybe even themselves wrong.

I personally don't see it as a huge issue or diss.

Foxy

spencercarlos
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:03 PM
So the first title winner on each surface becomes the favorite for that grand slam :lol: great new theory.

Anyway who knows with this tour, maybe Venus can win it now, with the current top ten, Henin and some other talents out of the sport i can´t maintain my old theory about Venus never winning Roland Garros.

Hey? Headline news for you Venus has never won a grass court warmup event before Wimbledon yet she is the clear cut favorite on grass.

The Dawntreader
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:04 PM
If people are so committed to the thought of either of them winning RG, then why do you care what Pam Shriver said. Opinion makes the world go round.

sammy01
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:10 PM
thanks lizchris for the bad rep, you really are breaking down those barriers of crazy williams fans who bad rep and name call when someone dares to disagree with them. :help:

p.s would you believe the pm involved chak to, damn its like we had a thread on this yeasterday :help:

Volcana
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:10 PM
a) Can't read her mind (from this distance)

b) IS she saying that?

c) If she is, no doubt she believes it.

d) It a difficult tournament that neither has dominanted. You could pick any twoplayers, say you don't think they'll win, and the odds are with you.

LeonHart
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:16 PM

Pammy...a racist?! :eek:

court70
Apr 18th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I agree. Plus it's not either one best surface so it's only logical to think (while they are champions) someone who's better on the surface has a better shot.

It Venus and or Serena job to prove her, others and maybe even themselves wrong.

I personally don't see it as a huge issue or diss.

Foxy

Please V&S don't have to prove shit to anyone.

Uranium
Apr 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM

Zina Garrison thinks so, you don't get away with calling her stupid:p

Marshmallow
Apr 18th, 2009, 11:31 PM

I think Foxy just meant it's all they can do in response to Pam Shrivel. But you're right, Venus and Serena are legends as it stands. ^.^

bobbynorwich
Apr 18th, 2009, 11:55 PM
d) It's a difficult tournament that neither has dominated. You could pick any two players, say you don't think they'll win, and the odds are with you.

Yeah, odds are that any 2 of the 10 or so contenders won't win, and then Shriver will look prophetic. It's just a statistical improbability though, nothing else.

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 18th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Serena will win this if she gets her shit together, i mean, she can move up with even more points, she lost in the third round last year.

what an open French Open

soomaal
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:41 AM
thanks lizchris for the bad rep, you really are breaking down those barriers of crazy williams fans who bad rep and name call when someone dares to disagree with them. :help:

p.s would you believe the pm involved chak to, damn its like we had a thread on this yeasterday :help:

You poor thing. You must really have no time for Williams fans at the moment.:lol:

Don't worry I won't mention your fav and I'll give you a good rep. How is that for you?:wavey:

CJ07
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:46 AM
I doubt Venus will win the French Open. Serena has a greater chance, but I doubt she will either.
That said, I doubt Safina will, Jankovic will, Ivanovic will, Kuznetsova will, or anyone else in the Top 15 will.

Guess what? Someone will win - its just too deep (or weak, depending on how you look at it) to tell until the second week.

Dave.
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:54 AM

Big names? Maria-Jose Martinez-Sanchez is the biggest name currently in tennis. :p (lame, I know :o)

Anyway, to the OP, it's a perfectly understandable opinion that neither WS will win the French. They haven't in 7 years. tbh I have not counted Venus as a contender for the French in the last few years purely based on her seasons going into the tournament. This year I think is her best shot and has a decent chance as she seems to be producing better tennis more often. But given her RG record, it's understandable that someone says she will not win it.

As for Serena, well she's a former champ and currently the best equipped player to win slams. But her recent injury problems put a big question on her chances, plus the fact that she has not been to the SF's in 6 years.

This is not Wimbledon, where you can almost pencil in one if not both for the final.

In The Zone
Apr 19th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Pam was trying to hold back her endorsement of Julie Ditty's title run!

Not Serena, Venus or Ana? :o I don't want anyone else to win a slam! :o Safina can win, I guess!

But who cares. Pam gets paid to give her opinion and if you had to bet, the odds would be in favor of a Sister not winning Roland Garros.

Mashafaaaaan
Apr 19th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Because they won't.:shrug:

acetoace
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:43 AM

Maybe they won't....... but I will bet a fortune on either of the 2 b4 betting a cent on pova to win it!! :bounce:

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:09 AM

Please...if this was any of the other 3 slams you'd have an argument, but there's a reason serena still guns for a second title when she has 2 or more of all other slams, and venus...well is still gunning for a 1st title outside of wimbledon or us open :shrug:

and i didn't see it but did pam expressly say...that they will NOT win RG?? or did she just say she's betting on someone else...much like how everyone here, including you the OP, bets on someone to win??

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:10 AM

o0o0o pick me pick me!!!!!! i know who you think will win!!!!!!!

:weirdo:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Apr 19th, 2009, 10:18 AM
theres just so many stupid things in the thread starters post. 1stly ivanovic is an active french champion

And he is a stupid thing you just said and I'm two lines in :wavey:

Liz said Serena was the only OTHER active FO champ. Damn why can't people read before they come in here on their high horse and act a damn fool!

Polikarpov
Apr 19th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I agree that either of them won't win it. But if I'm going to put my money on either one of them, I'll put it on Serena. But who knows, bizarre things frequently happen in Roland Garros.

Brooks.
Apr 20th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Venus will never win the French. I'd be surprised if she ever made the semis again :tape:

But Serena had a chance. She needs to play warm-ups and be fit though.

Pops Maellard
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Venus will never win the French. I'd be surprised if she ever made the semis again :tape:

But Serena had a chance. She needs to play warm-ups and be fit though.
Apart from Wimbledon, she's never made it past the quarters of another major for years right?

Serena could win it.

~Eclipsed~
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:03 AM
She's a commentator and supposed to give her opinions.

Let's face it, she's right about Venus. Serena has a decent shot though as long as she's healthy.

Brooks.
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Apart from Wimbledon, she's never made it past the quarters of another major for years right?

Serena could win it.

She made the semis of the US Open in 2007, but that's it. She really hasn't been a threat at any majors, except Wimbledon, since 2003.

Pops Maellard
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:07 AM
She made the semis of the US Open in 2007, but that's it. She really hasn't been a threat at any majors, except Wimbledon, since 2003.
It's sad in a way. Someone as good as Venus deserves to win every major at least once. Still, most people would kill for her 7 slams. Can't complain too much. :D

DownTheLine21
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:14 AM

I think she was a threat at the 2008 USO, though. Many people were predicting the winner of the Venus-Serena match to win the title. However, if "being a threat" means "making it past the quarters," then I would obviously have to agree.

Pops Maellard
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I think she was a threat at the 2008 USO, though. Many people were predicting the winner of the Venus-Serena match to win the title. However, if "being a threat" means "making it past the quarters," then I would obviously have to agree.
But she had one of the worst chokes ever at the 2008 USO QF. :tape: I mean, how can you have a total of 10 set points and not convert on at least 1 of them?

DownTheLine21
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:19 AM
But she had one of the worst chokes ever at the 2008 USO QF. :tape: I mean, how can you have a total of 10 set points and not convert on at least 1 of them?

True. Nonetheless, I would have favored her to win the tournament if she had gotten through. However, I'm guessing Jankovic would have stood a better chance in the final.

youizahoe
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I have a good feeling about RG. I think Serena will win it, however Dinara and Ivanovic will be too tired and crash out in the quarters.

youizahoe
Apr 20th, 2009, 02:53 AM

How many times did Dementieva have set points and lost them? I think she has had that happening to her like over 50 times.

Some players give their all on setpoints while the one that has the setpoint, will take some gass back because of nerves.

bobbynorwich
Apr 20th, 2009, 03:18 AM
This thread is giving Pam Shriver a lot more credibility than she deserves. She's neither psychic nor omniscient --- she's just one person with an opinion formed out of fixed biases and random encounters.

LDVTennis
Apr 20th, 2009, 05:44 AM
This thread is giving Pam Shriver a lot more credibility than she deserves. She's neither psychic nor omniscient --- she's just one person with an opinion formed out of fixed biases and random encounters.

Random encounters? That's conjuring a mental image, but the context for that image is not tennis.

Pops Maellard
Apr 20th, 2009, 06:18 AM
How many times did Dementieva have set points and lost them? I think she has had that happening to her like over 50 times.

Some players give their all on setpoints while the one that has the setpoint, will take some gass back because of nerves.
You're right. Lena's a far worse choker than Venus. This I will admit. Venus also has 7 majors to show for even if she chokes sometimes (she led 5-2 and had match-points against Suarez Navarro at the AO this year as well).

To be honest it doesn't really matter if she wins the US Open again or not (been there, done that twice after all). It's all about the French and Australian for Venus now, as well as continuing her Wimbledon streak.

KanSuke
Apr 20th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Who's Pam :confused:

Pamela Anderson?

bandabou
Apr 20th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Not surprising...clay just isn't their surface. Only ONE final for both and that was eons ago.

G1Player2
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Not surprising...clay just isn't their surface. Only ONE final for both and that was eons ago.

People seem to forget that Serena has skipped the FO 3 times in the last 8 years. In 2005 and 2006 she didn't play on the clay at all and in 2004 she was just coming back from injury.

Wojtek
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I will bump this thread after RG because some posts from Williams fans are just :help:

G1Player2
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I will bump this thread after RG because some posts from Williams fans are just :help:

Whatever gets you to sleep at night carry on. :wavey:

Will you bump it if they win it as well. :rolleyes: Because in 2002 birds were about to go extinct with all the crow people had to eat after Serena won the French.

bandabou
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:37 AM
People seem to forget that Serena has skipped the FO 3 times in the last 8 years. In 2005 and 2006 she didn't play on the clay at all and in 2004 she was just coming back from injury.

Yep...in most cases Serena is a lock for at least the QF's, but then she runs in an elite clay-courter and that's it. Is the major where's lost the most QF's.

G1Player2
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Yep...in most cases Serena is a lock for at least the QF's, but then she runs in an elite clay-courter and that's it. Is the major where's lost the most QF's.

She got Jennifer Capriati twice although she has beaten JCap before at the FO and Justine twice. Her only really bad loss was to Srebotnik last year but other than that she is just meeting some players whose best results have come on clay and they happen to be playing their best when they face Serena. :shrug:

In The Zone
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:51 AM
She got Jennifer Capriati twice although she has beaten JCap before at the FO and Justine twice. Her only really bad loss was to Srebotnik last year but other than that she is just meeting some players whose best results have come on clay and they happen to be playing their best when they face Serena. :shrug:

I will actually agree with you on this one!

Serena and Venus are often grouped to be this two-headed monster of one body. They are TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE. Serena does not have freak losses to random people -- on any surface. She is not Miss Venus Williams.

Serena is the #1 contender for every slam (excluding Wimbledon where she is #2) -- even on clay. Bet against her at your own peril. She will always be the #1 contender until someone can take her down. [But then again, what is being the #1 contender unless you can back it up with a win? Oh, that's right, street cred for WTAW threads!]

bad_angel_109
Apr 20th, 2009, 08:20 AM
they won't coz the new number 1 in the world *ahem* dinara safina :cool: will win RG. Or ana will defend her title, either way. and imo venus will win wimby this year, thats practically the only surface she's good at. in the case of serena, well, :shrug: i not really 100% sure. coz i dont think she will win RG either but she probably could defend her USO title

bandabou
Apr 20th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I will actually agree with you on this one!

Serena and Venus are often grouped to be this two-headed monster of one body. They are TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE. Serena does not have freak losses to random people -- on any surface. She is not Miss Venus Williams.

Serena is the #1 contender for every slam (excluding Wimbledon where she is #2) -- even on clay. Bet against her at your own peril. She will always be the #1 contender until someone can take her down. [But then again, what is being the #1 contender unless you can back it up with a win? Oh, that's right, street cred for WTAW threads!]

:lol: Serena is miss consistency. Will she finally get over the hump this year? Stay tuned.

Dave B
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:30 AM
You know who will not win the French or any other major, this year or ever? No Slam Pam. :)

Matt01
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Yeah, she is so underrated on clay. :lol:

serenus_2k8
Apr 20th, 2009, 05:30 PM
they won't coz the new number 1 in the world *ahem* dinara safina :cool: will win RG. Or ana will defend her title, either way. and imo venus will win wimby this year, thats practically the only surface she's good at. in the case of serena, well, :shrug: i not really 100% sure. coz i dont think she will win RG either but she probably could defend her USO title

Yeh OMGZZZ! Venus is so lucky the grass court season is so long that even hard court mugs like her can scrape into the top of the game or she would be way out the top 50. And whats with these cakewalk events like YEC and Dubai where they only get like 2 top 20 players? It makes me sick, and frankly its destroying Womens Tennis.

edificio
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Because she doesn't believe they will win.

I don't think Venus will win RG either. I don't think she has the patience. However, if she does, I will be pleased. As for Serena, hard to say. In a way, it seems all up to Serena to prep properly and be committed to it, oh, and get a good draw.

Diesel
Apr 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM

If Serena backs up her words or thoughts, will you still be upset at Pam? Part of her job is to talk about tennis and as an individual, she would have an opinion.

starin
Apr 20th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I agree with Pam.
I think the competition will be too tough for them to win it. I mean GOATRenka and GOATicki will both be playing. WTA tour is stronger than ever.

Marshmallow
Apr 20th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I agree with Pam.
I think the competition will be too tough for them to win it. I mean GOATRenka and GOATicki will both be playing. WTA tour is stronger than ever.

:spit: :lol:

And he is a stupid thing you just said and I'm two lines in :wavey:

Liz said Serena was the only OTHER active FO champ. Damn why can't people read before they come in here on their high horse and act a damn fool!

:haha: :rolls:

Slutiana
Apr 20th, 2009, 10:19 PM
If penus draws no young player and no pennetta in the early rounds (which I dont think is possible anyway) she'll win. :woohoo:

Slutiana
Apr 20th, 2009, 10:19 PM
I mean Venus. :sobbing:

G1Player2
Apr 20th, 2009, 10:44 PM
If Serena backs up her words or thoughts, will you still be upset at Pam? Part of her job is to talk about tennis and as an individual, she would have an opinion.

She could have an opinion but for someone who claims to wants to promote American tennis and has now become active along with Mary Jo and even the Mcenroe's about Venus and Serena being the last great hope for "American tennis," it wasn't a good comment to make IMO. For one, she didn't have to lump them together since Serena's FO results are much more consistent than Venus and she was saying this same :bs: back in 2002. I know you were not here but Pam and actually Mary Jo especially kept saying that it would take Serena another year at least before she does well on the clay. Then, when she started beating Capriati and Henin on clay that's when they changed their tune completely. I remember in Rome 2002 when she played Capriati they were saying "Wow, I think Serena can take anyone on clay now." A week before they were saying something entirely different. :rolleyes:

G1Player2
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Big names? Maria-Jose Martinez-Sanchez is the biggest name currently in tennis. :p (lame, I know :o)

Anyway, to the OP, it's a perfectly understandable opinion that neither WS will win the French. They haven't in 7 years. tbh I have not counted Venus as a contender for the French in the last few years purely based on her seasons going into the tournament. This year I think is her best shot and has a decent chance as she seems to be producing better tennis more often. But given her RG record, it's understandable that someone says she will not win it.

As for Serena, well she's a former champ and currently the best equipped player to win slams. But her recent injury problems put a big question on her chances, plus the fact that she has not been to the SF's in 6 years.

This is not Wimbledon, where you can almost pencil in one if not both for the final.

People seem to forget that in 2004, 2005, and 2006 Serena's clay results were virtually nonexistent. In 2004, she came into the claycourt season with 9 months off the tour because of that knee surgery and she still did well at the French Open losing to JCap in 3 tight sets. And, JCap's best surface is on clay so it wasn't a bad loss at all considering JCap was a former champion and the fact that Serena played her so tough after being away from the tour for nine months rehabilitating from a VERY serious KNEE SURGERY. So her movement was not nearly what it was prior to the surgery, so the fact that she was able to reach the quarters and almost beat JCap with limited mobility compared to what it once was is very telling of her ability as a player no matter what surface.

In 2005 and 2006 she pretty much skipped the claycourt season because of injury and lack of fitness. In 2007, she lost to Henin unsurprisingly and in 2008 it was really her only 'bad' loss to Srebotnik. But, Srebotnik was ranked inside the Top 30 for 3 years straight and had good results on clay. So, it really wasn't that bad of a loss. She also skipped in 2000. So, she went 5 straight years reaching the quarters or better at the FO. In 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2007. Actually, 5 straight years where she actually attempted to play, not 5 consecutive years since she skipped in 2005 and 2006. So, who else has that consistency. Five straight non-consecutive years reaching the quarters or better? Nobody on tour at the moment. Not even Henin had that record...She has lost to Henin, JCap, and now Srebotnik at the French Open since 1999 and we know that Henin and JCap are two of the best claycourters around.

manutoo
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I cant see Serena winning because she's injured I mean she injured herself on hard. On clay she is more injury prone I predict a 4r, QF exit just because of her fight if she shows up healthy then I give her a good chance to win it but she is not the #1 favorite

Venus hasnt really performed well at RG but if she actually tries some new things like improving footwork, stamina she could do better then her previous years, But Venus is 29 right? Clay takes alot out of her body I cant see her grinding 7 matches in a row on clay but I hope she does better then the third round

mboyle
Apr 20th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I don't think there's going to be a French Open champion this year. I think two players are going to retire at the same time in the final. Maybe the chair umpire will win by default I guess. But honestly, I don't see anyone else who is playing well enough to win.

bobbynorwich
Apr 21st, 2009, 02:21 AM
Maybe she's a Williams' hater.

vogus
Apr 21st, 2009, 06:36 PM
Pam isn't the brightest bulb in the kitchen, but she's probably right about this one. Venus doesn't have the game to win RG. Serena has an outside chance but the record of both sisters at RG is so poor relative to the other 3 Slams, it's a pretty safe bet to say that neither will win it.

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 21st, 2009, 07:28 PM
I don't think there's going to be a French Open champion this year. I think two players are going to retire at the same time in the final. Maybe the chair umpire will win by default I guess. But honestly, I don't see anyone else who is playing well enough to win.

Marianna Alves winning her first Grand Slam title :bounce: :lol:

mboyle
Apr 29th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Marianna Alves winning her first Grand Slam title :bounce: :lol:

Can you imagine her calling out "Miss Zvonareva and Miss Wozniacki" (God save us) "have both retired due to injury at the same time. Game set and match, me!"

madlove
Apr 29th, 2009, 07:14 AM
opinions are just opinions.. and here's mine - neither serena nor venus is gonna win roland garros

doni1212
Apr 29th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I love all this doubters, :drool:
Bodes well for the WS, :devil:

AndreConrad
Apr 29th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I mean Venus. :sobbing:
you could just edit the original message, but you like the sound of it don't you :lol:

With regards to the original question Pam and everyone else is entitled to their opinions... I am sure 100 statements like this one have been made

mne22
Apr 29th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Venus hasn't had a chance at RG in eons. Serena since winning in '02 has only lost to previous champions besides '08. She was losing to the likes of Henin/Capriati one of which is the best clay court player of her generation. Venus is losing to a completely different set of players. I don't think it is fair to lump the two of them together. They play different games and their chances are undoubtedly different.

bobbynorwich
Apr 29th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Pam is just one commentator, no need to over-value her opinion. What do all the other commentators say on the subject?