PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova to enjoy special ranking

Lucas_Arg
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Shoulder op won’t stop Maria Sharapova’s big clay day
Andrew Hodgson

Maria Sharapova is set to play in the French Open despite her unsuccessful return to action following a shoulder operation.

The former world No1 had surgery in October and although she played in a doubles match at Indian Wells last month she then pulled out of the following week's Miami tournament to rest her shoulder. However, the boss of the Russian tennis federation said Sharapova is aiming to play in the second major of the season, which starts on 24 May.

“I talked to Sharapova's father recently, and he told me was preparing to play at Roland Garros,” said Shamil Tarpishchev.

“He also told me she was set to play one or two preparation tournaments on red clay before the French Open but had yet to decide which ones.”
Sharapaova, who will turn 22 on Sunday, missed the US Open and Beijing Olympics in 2008 as well as this year's Australian Open because of her shoulder problems.

She has slumped to 53 in the rankings but enjoys from the WTA a special injury ranking of four, which she can use for acceptance into Tour events.
That ranking exception is valid for eight tournaments, one of which can be a one grand slam.

Mikey B
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:53 PM
i dont get this.. i mean she's not going to qualify for any events with her top 50 ranking, but she's going to get WC's for every event she wants! what does the special ranking mean?

Vanity Bonfire
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Given that her special ranking will be fourth, does that mean she can't enter a $200,000 event if a real top 10 player is there?

Lucas_Arg
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Given that her special ranking will be fourth, does that mean she can't enter a $200,000 event if a real top 10 player is there?

Who know, but she could avoid Serena until SF.

Craig.
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Huh? What does that mean? She'll be seeded 4th for Roland Garros?

Vanity Bonfire
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Huh? What does that mean? She'll be seeded 4th for Roland Garros?

No, she won't be seeded, but she'll definitely be able to play even if her regular ranking isn't good enough.

Craig.
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:59 PM
No, she won't be seeded, but she'll definitely be able to play even if her regular ranking isn't good enough.

But we already knew that, didn't we? :p

Marilyn Monheaux
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Yeah, that's confusing:confused:

I thought that "ranking" only means that she can get into the tourneys without playing qualies, given her ranking would slip even further. Even if she is No.4 she wouldn't be seeded 4th, she just enters. Is that correct?
If so, then she won't be seeded at RG:help: or Wimby, right?

Vanity Bonfire

I guess so. :lol:

Lucas_Arg

I didn't know that.
I assume YEC is different, isn't it?

Dexter
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:03 PM
I hope she doesn't have a special ranking to be SEEDED. Serena for example in 2006/7 was unseeded in Grand Slams (US Open/AO). They shouldn't make an example for Maria.
She doesn't use a special ranking to ENTER the tournaments. :shrug; Which tournament on Earth would deny her a WC?

adner
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:05 PM

She is a year-ending Top 10 player so no, she won't unless that's Radwanska who commits there.

Marilyn Monheaux
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I didn't know that.
I assume YEC is different, isn't it?

What do you mean?:scratch:

Lucas_Arg
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:17 PM
What do you mean?:scratch:

My mistake, for YEC she has to qualify, sorry.

Is WTA giving a WC for YEC this year?

Marilyn Monheaux
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:20 PM
My mistake, for YEC she has to qualify, sorry.

Is WTA giving a WC for YEC this year?

They never did, so it would wierd if they did now. Besides, maybe Masha come back strong and manages to qualify on her own;)

DownTheLine21
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:24 PM
She doesn't use a special ranking to ENTER the tournaments. :shrug; Which tournament on Earth would deny her a WC?

No tournament would deny Sharapova a WC, but I do think that this is the purpose of a special ranking.

feifei
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:29 PM
A SR can not make one be a seed, it only let you get into the MD.

Noctis
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Serena Vs Maria 1st Round :lol: RG 76 67 76

Adal
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I don't see a reason in her special rankings since she'd be given a WC to any event she wants to enter anyway.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:40 PM
its no big deal, its only for entry purposes.
every player who's out of game for 6 months gets same (providing they apply for it in time)

franny
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:17 PM
What I really don't get is why people care about her getting the special ranking, since she's going to get WC anyways. I mean, it's just a formality right? It does not hurt anyone else. Now if it was a special seeding, then that would be different. I hope its not a special seeding, because she does not need it and it would just be unfair to other players.

faboozadoo15
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM
No tournament would deny Sharapova a WC, but I do think that this is the purpose of a special ranking.

Replace Sharapova with Petrova, someone who's probably never sold a ticket in her life, and I think we can all see how this could be a necessary rule of the tour.

faboozadoo15
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM

No TB in the third. ;)

joćo.
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I hope she isn't seeded, for some weird reason.

Europe rocks
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Well I guess that if her ranking does drop any further and she uses up her 3MD WC, she can always count on the SR for a little bit of a helping hand

cyannnnn
Apr 18th, 2009, 09:23 PM
she can take zvonareva place
vera surely does't play RG
so maria can take the n°6 of zvonareva

Jarl_02
Apr 18th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I think it's better that she uses the SR, so the wildcards are free for other players, so they have a chance to play the tournaments

The onyl thing I want is for her to come back once and for all

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 18th, 2009, 09:45 PM
It is true that no tournament would deny Sharapova a WC if she needed one. But I am sure there are a lot of tournaments who would rather give then to players of their choice. In the case of Sharapova, she is being treated very fairly, and not in any way preferencially. But in Sharapova's case the protected ranking actually isn't so much a benefit to her but to the tournaments. For without the protected ranking, Sharapova would for some time require WCs from the tournaments she enters. Of course these tournaments would willingly give them to her but I am sure most tournaments would much rather she could just enter the tournament without them having to waste a WC on her. With Sharapova's protected ranking that is just what will happen. When Sharapova uses her protected ranking she will thus free one of the tournaments WCs up so that it can be used for another player.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM
she can take zvonareva place
vera surely does't play RG
so maria can take the n°6 of zvonareva

Err....no. It doesn't work that way. Sharapova will have no problems entering any tournament she wants when she returns to the game, however she will have to make do without being seeded. Does this mean she could end up playing the likes of the Williams sisters or Dementieva or Ivanovic in the 1st round of a tournament? Yes, it does.

~CANUCK~
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Well I guess that if her ranking does drop any further and she uses up her 3MD WC, she can always count on the SR for a little bit of a helping hand

I thought as a former GS champ she is entitled to as many WC's as she wants.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I thought as a former GS champ she is entitled to as many WC's as she wants.

I wouldn't worry whatever. With a protected ranking for 8 tournaments plus the possibility of 3 WCs that is 11 tournaments. That should be plenty for her. If in the very unlikely event Sharapova hasn't gotten her ranking up to a level where she can get into any main draw she wants based on her own ranking by then, then she would probably be better off playing low level WTA events or even 100k ITF events. But realistically it is pretty unlikely that after 11 events she won't at least be back in the top 30.

court70
Apr 18th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Err....no. It doesn't work that way. Sharapova will have no problems entering any tournament she wants when she returns to the game, however she will have to make do without being seeded. Does this mean she could end up playing the likes of the Williams sisters or Dementieva or Ivanovic in the 1st round of a tournament? Yes, it does.

Don't worry they will fix it so she would not have to meet the names you mentioned.

Andy.
Apr 18th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I wish they would have kept the "special seeding rule" that was still around in 2004.

SAEKeithSerena
Apr 18th, 2009, 11:57 PM

except Serena wouldn't let it get remotely that close.

In The Zone
Apr 19th, 2009, 12:02 AM
This is alright. This leaves the tournaments that would like Maria that extra WC to give it to a local player -- and not waste it on Maria.

Special rankings no longer can be used for seeds. Maria won't be able to use it for slams since she only missed two. But it does not matter since Maria is in the top 104 (108).

Lucas_Arg
Apr 19th, 2009, 12:03 AM
except Serena wouldn't let it get remotely that close.

Especially after her stellar performance at Marbella.

frenchie
Apr 19th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I hope she won't be seeded

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 19th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Sharapova still has enough points to be a direct entry to all clay court events and Wimbledon. She will need SR/WC for summer hardcourt season.

VRULES
Apr 19th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Who know, but she could avoid Serena until SF.

Special Ranking is for entry, not for the seeding.

After Davenport & the Williams used it, the tour took that rule away.

THe rule is so that players who aren't of Sharapova's name value who get injured, and have a ranking drop such as Maria has, can still enter tournaments they would have before.

This doesn't really matter to Maria, because any tournament would offer her a WC, but to someone like Pennetta etc..., this would be very important

Slutiana
Apr 19th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Is there a list of who is on the Gold Exempt list? Im pretty sure it isnt just GS champions...

goldenlox
Apr 19th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Happy birthday to Maria. 19 April, 1987

madlove
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:22 AM
pffft.