PDA

View Full Version : Why are there no top level chair umpires from Russia?

tenn_ace
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Each top tennis country has a presentation except for Russia. This is kind of strange considering that Russians now play at a top level. Does anyone have any idea? Wonder also how Russian players feel about it if they care at all...

On a side note, why are there 2 top chair umpires in Portugal?

Sylvester
Apr 18th, 2009, 02:48 PM
On a side note, why are there 2 top chair umpires in Portugal?

I don't why, but we always use to have great referees in any sport. It may be a genetic thing or something like that! :lol:

Slutiana
Apr 18th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Coz they're all tennis players. :lol:

Polikarpov
Apr 18th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'm wondering what their accents would be like, especially during Roland Garros.

miffedmax
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I think you do draw a certain number of officials from the ranks of frustrated players. As tennis' popularity is still growing in Russia (and many other countries) I expect we'll see more Russian officials in the future.

thetennistimes
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Accent and also languages

Infiniti2001
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:05 PM
What's with this sudden interest in umpires? Looking for a job? :lol:

alfonsojose
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Too much vodka. They can't climb the chair :p

tenn_ace
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I'm wondering what their accents would be like, especially during Roland Garros.

I'm sure not worth than Norm Cryst or Lynn Welsh

tenn_ace
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Accent and also languages

A lot of Russians now speak awesome English and some speak great French. It's more than the two umpires mentioned in my previous post to start :wavey:

tenn_ace
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:51 PM
What's with this sudden interest in umpires? Looking for a job? :lol:

nah... not paying much. maybe if I was in my 20's I would have considered :lol:

tenn_ace
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Too much vodka. They can't climb the chair :p

so I should assume that too much cocaine for Colombians since there are no top umpires from Colombia either :p

MaBaker
Apr 18th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Russian fixers...:p

Wombat
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I'm ok to be the first. What should I do?I kinda know the rules by heart already!

hellas719
Apr 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM
My inference:
There's so many Russian players, so it's hard to be an umpire when you might favor a Russian or for example rob Venus or Serena of a win at Wimbledon b/c you want to see a Russian win the whole thing:p

josh3135
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:53 AM
My inference:
There's so many Russian players, so it's hard to be an umpire when you might favor a Russian or for example rob Venus or Serena of a win at Wimbledon b/c you want to see a Russian win the whole thing:p

This.

You can't throw a tennis ball without hitting 17 Russians.

Although Venus and Serena don't need an Umpire's help to lose a match. They've been practicing that skill for a while now.

Lucas_Arg
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:57 AM
so I should assume that too much cocaine for Colombians since there are no top umpires from Colombia either :p

Kinda rude.

MaxQue
Apr 19th, 2009, 04:26 AM

Stereotips. They don't use it much and a very vocal fringe group is producing and controling it.

tenn_ace
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Kinda rude.

Kinda RESPONSE to rude. But of course you don't care about THAT.

tenn_ace
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:51 AM
My inference:

IF you're serious, then it's a lame explanation. Think of a hawk eye these days in addition to one point not deciding the whole match even if some really (like Alves's case) happens.