PDA

View Full Version : Is Kournikova the most commercially successful tennis player ever?

Lin Lin
Apr 17th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Considering she was not a so good player and really didn't win some huge events,but she is so famous all over the world,even now she doesn't play tennis,she still has a huge influence.And I heard that she earns as much as Serena or Sharapova does from sponsors,so,I think maybe she is the most successful player commercially.:)

However,her compatriot Nadia Petrova is not so lucky,I heard she even has no sponsors sometimes,which doesn't assort with her achievement I think.:confused::confused:

Slutiana
Apr 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Anna was a great player. And yes she easily is. In the late ninteys and early 00s, if you went to one of her practice sessions you would see a HUGE crowd of panting grown men proposing to her.

Vanity Bonfire
Apr 17th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Well her looks certainly made up for her (lack of) ability.

bad_angel_109
Apr 17th, 2009, 01:50 PM
i reckon so. altho as the years go on (and depending on at wat age masha retires at :p) anna will lose that crown to sharapova. and perhaps one day (say in 8 years) to ana :)

but if u jus generally mean the tennis sexpot, then yea, anna's the most commercialized 'successful' player. im a bit dubious about her being "successful". succuessful in being the most commercialized player, hell yes. successful on-court? no.

Golovinjured.
Apr 17th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Without a doubt.

Golovinjured.
Apr 17th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Also, anyone who talks about Kournikova's lack of ability is a complete hack, and has no idea about tennis, nor the way Anna played it.

Vanity Bonfire
Apr 17th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Also, anyone who talks about Kournikova's lack of ability is a complete hack, and has no idea about tennis, nor the way Anna played it.

She started off really well and could have had a great career, but then she just got more interested at the camera lens that was poking in her face.

Mashafaaaaan
Apr 17th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Sharapova

Polikarpov
Apr 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Sharapova

In terms of money, yes. But in term of worldwide name recognition, I have to say Kournikova.

Helen Lawson
Apr 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM
As against her on-court results, absolutely yes. Dollar for dollar, not sure, Sharapova is making gigantic money right now and it's like 10 years later so it's likely more money in terms of amount. Adjust for inflation, not sure.

Marionated
Apr 17th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I don't get the whole she wasn't a good player notion.
Yes, she didn't win a singles title, but I'd take her career over a Smashnova career any day.

Balltossovic
Apr 17th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Considering she was not a so good player and really didn't win some huge events,but she is so famous all over the world,even now she doesn't play tennis,she still has a huge influence.And I heard that she earns as much as Serena or Sharapova does from sponsors,so,I think maybe she is the most successful player commercially.:)

However,her compatriot Nadia Petrova is not so lucky,I heard she even has no sponsors sometimes,which doesn't assort with her achievement I think.:confused::confused:
With all due respect ...... that's GARBAGE!

Not so good players don't make the semifinals of slams. Not so good players aren't ranked number one in doubles (And certainly not top 8 in singles). Not so good players don't win slams in doubles.

And to answer your question. I think she use to be but Maria may have taken over that spot

sammy01
Apr 17th, 2009, 02:24 PM
she transcended the sport for a while, making pop videos, fitness videos, bra contracts ect she was a big celebrity, people bought into her name.

Helen Lawson
Apr 17th, 2009, 02:28 PM
How could I have forgotten about that bra ad, "only the ball should bounce." That was fanstastic. I still maintain Sharapova should do some ad in Central Park flriting with boys while Tina Turner's "Typical Male" plays in the background. She could sell ice to Eskimos with that ad. Totally hot, right?

Max565
Apr 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Kournikova is not that famous or popular anymore... is she?

joão.
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:13 PM
:worship:

Dawn Marie
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Anna was a player that woudl piss me off. She and her management handled her all the wrong way.

Sure she hurt her thumb but with all her NATURAL talent there was no rhyme or reason that she should not have won 1 title.

Whoever says that Anna had very little talent has no clue about tennis. Anna to this day still hold more tennis ability then 95% of her countrywomen. She had great soft hands at the net. Good solid groundies, good solid footwork. Anna was a great all court player.
Which is why it's pathetic that she NEVER won 1 freakin title.
Yes, Anna is #1 because she's more world wide known. Even here in the states.

Dave.
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Yeah, probably.

Okay she didn't win a singles title but her career had to be somewhat impressive for her to be recognised as she was. She proved a worthy top-tenner and even played like a top 5 at times. Not to mention her incredible doubles career where she was the best at one point. Not winning a singles title is not the defining note of her career. She had a much better career than loads of others who did win titles.

So it's not like Anna achieved all that she did off-court purely due to looks. She did have the results to back it up. If she was not a top 10 player getting those big results, she would have been as commercially successful.

azinna
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:58 PM
She had reams of talent. And this ridiculous beauty. Watched her live at Wimbledon in both singles and doubles (97 or 98?) and can testify to both qualities.

But, as many have said, her downfall was her very early awareness of the camera. For example, during that Wimbledon visit, while we were watching a Rafter match on Court 2, Anna came out of the player's lounge to lean on the rail of a balcony. Ostensibly to watch. But boys and men started calling her name longingly. And within 15 minutes, about half the stadium had around to look up and watch her watching our match. She stayed there for a good half hour. And loved every minute of it.

Polikarpov
Apr 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I remember watching her second round match in Wimbledon '00 against Anne-Gaelle Sidot. She was I think ranked 19 in the world at that time, but was given a slot to play in Court 1, which she managed to fill. Her popularity during her heydays was really amazing.

Mynarco
Apr 17th, 2009, 06:06 PM
agree, even I was young and had not watched tennis before i knew who is kournikova, she is just hawwwwwwwwt.

btw, Anna's double career is good enough to cover her 0 single title.

nelsondan
Apr 17th, 2009, 06:32 PM
A 2002 report said Of the $10.6 million that dropped into her bank account last season just $334,000 was earned on court, helped by success in doubles competitions.

By that time, her earnings had reached about 40 million.

Even adjusted for inflation, Maria seems to be on a faster track. Give Kournikova credit for raising more money for charity---but who knows what Maria will do by the time she is that age.

The title of the thread says "commercially successful", so it seems to me hotness is not the main consideration. It's money, which is affected by hotness, but it is still money.

Morrissey
Apr 17th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Kournikova was popular because we live in a sexist culture that says a female athlete can't just be an athlete that looks matter. Kournikova was a decent player but she wasn't a champion she wasn't someone that deserves the attention she gets. Kournikova NEVER won a WTA singles title I don't understand why she's considered popular at all.

barmaid
Apr 17th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Anna was a player that woudl piss me off. She and her management handled her all the wrong way.

Sure she hurt her thumb but with all her NATURAL talent there was no rhyme or reason that she should not have won 1 title.

Whoever says that Anna had very little talent has no clue about tennis. Anna to this day still hold more tennis ability then 95% of her countrywomen. She had great soft hands at the net. Good solid groundies, good solid footwork. Anna was a great all court player.
Which is why it's pathetic that she NEVER won 1 freakin title.
Yes, Anna is #1 because she's more world wide known. Even here in the states.

I agree certainly in the early stages of her career she was "touted" as a real contender but it's an emphatic "yes" to the thread question...absolutely became a world-wide "icon" for herself:hearts:

Barmaid:wavey:

Vanity Bonfire
Apr 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Kournikova was popular because we live in a sexist culture that says a female athlete can't just be an athlete that looks matter. Kournikova was a decent player but she wasn't a champion she wasn't someone that deserves the attention she gets. Kournikova NEVER won a WTA singles title I don't understand why she's considered popular at all.

Because people think she's hot.

abraham
Apr 17th, 2009, 07:06 PM
she is still in the news and well known worldwide because of enrique iglesias.

Wojtek
Apr 17th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Lin Lin another great thread. :tape: Kournkova wasn't good player :tape: She was/is better than all chinese players

vogus
Apr 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM

What are you smoking? Serena and especially Sharapova both earn far, far more from sponsors than Kournikova does (i'm not sure that Kournikova even earns anything at all from sponsors any more). Sharapova is clearly the leader in terms of worldwide commercial success.

abraham
Apr 17th, 2009, 09:22 PM
k-swiss is her only sponsor.

Vanity Bonfire
Apr 17th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I wonder what Anna K thinks of Enrique's 'size'.

abraham
Apr 17th, 2009, 09:36 PM
how come she was dumped by adidas and omega?

NeoZod19
Apr 17th, 2009, 09:55 PM
to answer is No!

SHe didn't win anything, single title, but was popular during that time because of her beauty.

Pristine
Apr 17th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Adjusting for inflation it could be close but if you mean money relative to success definitely.

CJ07
Apr 17th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Kournikova still pulls in around $5 million a year I'm pretty sure.

Lets just say that if Kournikova had Sharapova's success on court, she would make far more money than Maria does. And quite frankly, most people still don't know who Maria Sharapova is - Anna Kournikova is a household name and has been for a decade now.

tenn_ace
Apr 17th, 2009, 10:15 PM
She started off really well and could have had a great career, but then she just got more interested at the camera lens that was poking in her face.

wonder what exactly your abilities helped you to achieve in your life. :rolleyes: I mean other than being an anonymous poster on a message board.

KournikovaFan91
Apr 18th, 2009, 01:06 AM
how come she was dumped by adidas and omega?

The contracts ran out - not the same as being dumped. Just not renewed.

Omega use models now its not like she was replaced by a tennis player.

AnomyBC
Apr 18th, 2009, 03:34 AM
She definitely was at one point. Sharapova has probably surpassed her now though. Someone needs to find their career earnings from endorsements and post them, along with Serena's---and then adjust them all for inflation.

AnomyBC
Apr 18th, 2009, 03:37 AM
to answer is No!

SHe didn't win anything, single title, but was popular during that time because of her beauty.

She didn't win any SINGLES titles. She has won many doubles titles, including 2 slams. And that's not what we're talking about. We're just talking about commercial success.

Golovinjured.
Apr 18th, 2009, 03:43 AM
I commend Kournikova for walking away from tennis with more in her bank account than many who were more successful than her in singles, I don't resent her for it.

Kournikova could play tennis, anyone who knows anything about tennis can see that.

AnomyBC
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:01 AM
If anyone cares, I got some numbers from Forbes.....

In 2007 Sharapova made $26 million and Serena made $14 million.

In 2005 Sharapova made $19 million, Serena made $10 million and Kournikova made $5 million.

Granted this is only 2 years, but it leads me to believe that Sharapova has probably made the most.

EDIT: Apparently the "2007" numbers are actually the amounts the players earned from June 2007 to June 2008, and similarly, the "2005" numbers are apparently the amounts the players earned from June 2005 to June 2006.

Golovinjured.
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:04 AM
You have to take inflation into account, though. The money thrown around now is much more to that of when Kournikova was in her prime.

KanSuke
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:13 AM
I'm sure Maria makes the most money among all female athletes of any kind right now :shrug: Prize money, sponsor, commercials, that fashion thing she is doing right now..... comparing to Anna, Maria wins this. And I think Maria is more well-known worldwide than Anna now

AnomyBC
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:33 AM
More numbers.... Serena made $12 million in 2002. Kournikova made $10 million in 2000 and Serena made $7.5 million that year.

Marilyn Monheaux
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Kournikova still pulls in around $5 million a year I'm pretty sure.

Lets just say that if Kournikova had Sharapova's success on court, she would make far more money than Maria does. And quite frankly, most people still don't know who Maria Sharapova is - Anna Kournikova is a household name and has been for a decade now.

That's probably true!

When it comes to making money Masha is the clear No.1, but considering name recognition I'd say it's Anna > Serena (&Venus) > Maria.

Anna is still a very much present on tennis magazines/sites as well as in the tabloids. She may not pull in the really big bucks anymore, but people still know who she is, even if they don't care about tennis.

youizahoe
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I think our sweetie Maria has taking commercial to a new standard. Plus if Kournikova didn't have Enrique, she wouldn't have been in the news ever since she retired.

Marilyn Monheaux
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:20 AM
She definitely was at one point. Sharapova has probably surpassed her now though. Someone needs to find their career earnings from endorsements and post them, along with Serena's---and then adjust them all for inflation.

Masha (according to forbes)

June 2004 - June 2005: 18.2 Mio
June 2005 - June 2006: 19 Mio
June 2006 - June 2007: 23 Mio (23,799,501 Mio, according to SI)
June 2007 - June 2008: 26 Mio (21,758,550 Mio, according to SI)

Serena: (according to forbes)

June 1999 - June 2000: 6 Mio
June 2000 - June 2001: 7.5 Mio
June 2001 - June 2002: 8 Mio
June 2002 - June 2003: 12 Mio
June 2003 - June 2004: 10 Mio
June 2004 - June 2005: 12.7 Mio
June 2005 - June 2006: 10 Mio
June 2006 - June 2007: 14 Mio
June 2007 - June 2008: 14 Mio

Anna: (according to forbes)

June 1999 - June 2000: 11 Mio
June 2000 - June 2001: 10 Mio
June 2001 - June 2002: 10 Mio
June 2002 - June 2003: 9 Mio
June 2003 - June 2004: 6 Mio

Some reports estimate that Anna still makes about 5 Million annually, but the forbes list isn't solely based on salaries, but web-hits, etc which could be the reason why Anna isn't listed any longer.

Polikarpov
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:32 AM
^^ See. Anna made two million more than Serena in 2002 in spite of the fact that she lost in the first round of every grand slam tournament! The amount of money she got relative to her results was just crazy! Can you just imagine if she actually won tournaments?

KanSuke
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:52 AM
but considering name recognition I'd say it's Anna > Serena (&Venus) > Maria.

Are you kidding me :spit:

Marilyn Monheaux
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:08 AM

No. I'm serious:angel:

KanSuke
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:11 AM
I'm sure worldwide, including those people who don't follow tennis, Maria Sharapova is more well-known than William Sisters. :)

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Given her little success as player , I say yes

Juanes
Apr 18th, 2009, 12:02 PM
i think not... Masha is more successful....

Mashafaaaaan
Apr 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM
In terms of money, yes. But in term of worldwide name recognition, I have to say Kournikova.

Sharapova is making more money because she is more successfull now, people forgot Kournikova, Sharapova erased her.

denny47
Apr 18th, 2009, 12:37 PM
The facts are quite clear – Maria Sharapova is by far the most commercially successful woman in all women sports, not only in tennis. There is no room for expressing personal opinions when the facts are so heavy in favour of Maria.
But we must recognize and must not forget another fact – without Anna, Maria would not be so successful. Anna opened the door and Maria took the opportunities there. Now, after Maria’s commercial success, all tennis players have chances to make big money outside the court.

Marilyn Monheaux
Apr 18th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Sharapova is making more money because she is more successfull now, people forgot Kournikova, Sharapova erased her.

Don't think so. At least every man still remembers her or has an older brother / father who mentioned her;)

Most people I know and who are not interested in tennis know Anna. They also know the Willams', but unfortunately mainly because they're black. The ones who know Masha are mostly people who are at least a bit interested in sports in general.

Anna used to be incredibly famous and she's still everything but forgotten! Dating Enrique certainly helps that matter:p

Every pretty (blond) tennis player is automatically compared to Anna in terms of commercial success and only then will people compare her to Masha in terms of on-court and off-court accomplishments...

Random note: My bf wanted to teach me how to poker and told me that the Ace-King combination is called an "Anna Kournikova" since it looks pretty, but mostly doesn't win:rolls::lol:

Slutiana
Apr 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Its true.

And I dont think you realise. Back in her heyday, Anna would fill up every stadium with panting men proposing to her and wolf-whistling her at every opportunity. Maria doesnt do that and I dont ever remember somebody proposing to her :lol:. If Anna's team were as smart as Maria's team she would have easily made more money but she didnt need to, really. I appreciate that some of you were too young to remember or w.e but back in 00 I was like 8 and the only thing I remember about tennis (ATP + WTA) was the craze that the WS, Anna and to a lesser extent hingis, capriati, davenport and the others created. Anna was on thousands of billboards even in london for that "Only the balls should bounce" bra advertisment. Anna-mania was CRAZY. Maria doesnt even come close on that front, I dont think you guys realise.

And the theory was, back then if you mentioned Anna, Martina, Venus or Serena in any street corner in the world (just their first names) there would be somebody who would know you were talking tennis.

Polikarpov
Apr 18th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Its true.

And I dont think you realise. Back in her heyday, Anna would fill up every stadium with panting men proposing to her and wolf-whistling her at every opportunity. Maria doesnt do that and I dont ever remember somebody proposing to her :lol:. If Anna's team were as smart as Maria's team she would have easily made more money but she didnt need to, really. I appreciate that some of you were too young to remember or w.e but back in 00 I was like 8 and the only thing I remember about tennis (ATP + WTA) was the craze that the WS, Anna and to a lesser extent hingis, capriati, davenport and the others created. Anna was on thousands of billboards even in london for that "Only the balls should bounce" bra advertisment. Anna-mania was CRAZY. Maria doesnt even come close on that front, I dont think you guys realise.

And the theory was, back then if you mentioned Anna, Martina, Venus or Serena in any street corner in the world (just their first names) there would be somebody who would know you were talking tennis.

True. Ask any man who Anna Kournikova is and they'll pretty much respond positively.

I'll probably get bashed for this, but I think one of the biggest reasons why Maria is so successful commercially is because the media was looking for the blonde, leggy bombshell, after Anna left the scene. And when Maria came along, the media were all over her proclaiming her the next "Anna Kournikova." When Maria started winning tournaments it drove the media even crazier because they've managed to find a tennis bombshell that actually wins.

frenchie
Apr 18th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I'm sure worldwide, including those people who don't follow tennis, Maria Sharapova is more well-known than William Sisters. :)

That's ridiculous:lol:

I can tell you people outside the tennis world know the WS and Kournikova better

kman
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:07 PM
A lot of Kournikova's fame is because of Enrique. Fact. The rest of her fame is because her parents endowed her with good looks. Fact.

Vanity Bonfire
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I think our sweetie Maria has taking commercial to a new standard. Plus if Kournikova didn't have Enrique, she wouldn't have been in the news ever since she retired.

I thought Sharapova was regarded as a bitch.

madlove
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:57 PM
definitely. and she earned it.

Dav.
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I thought Sharapova was regarded as a bitch.
Haha, they've obviously never met her at an event!

Uranium
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Keep telling yourself that:tape:

abraham
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:13 PM
A lot of Kournikova's fame is because of Enrique. Fact. The rest of her fame is because her parents endowed her with good looks. Fact.

this is the reason why she left her husband and started an affair with enrique while still married as she knows very well that she will get more attention from the media if she 's with enrique.

Marilyn Monheaux
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM
^^Yeah, and that's why they're still together, since Enrique's carreer is SO HOT right now...

KanSuke
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:07 PM
That's ridiculous:lol:

I can tell you people outside the tennis world know the WS and Kournikova better

How is it ridiculous :rolleyes:

I wasn't saying she's more well-known than Anna, I meant William sisters.

Just see how much fame this lady gained these years. All the commercials that broadcast internationally, all the attention she got from media, all those fashion shows she attended. Every move of her is getting so much attention. Who she's dating, what she's wearing, using. She's not only in the sports section of news, she's in entertainment section too, in fashion section too. People just hear about her more than William sisters. I mean worldwide. People who don't follow tennis know there's this lady that's really beautiful called Sharapova who is always on TV or Ads, whatever stuff alot.

So is it really that ridiculous she's more well-known worldwide? I don't think so :shrug:

Marilyn Monheaux
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Just see how much fame this lady gained these years. All the commercials that broadcast internationally, all the attention she got from media, all those fashion shows she attended. Every move of her is getting so much attention. Who she's dating, what she's wearing, using. She's not only in the sports section of news, she's in entertainment section too, in fashion section too. People just hear about her more than William sisters. I mean worldwide. People who don't follow tennis know there's this lady that's really beautiful called Sharapova who is always on TV or Ads, whatever stuff alot.

So is it really that ridiculous she's more well-known worldwide? I don't think so :shrug:

I never saw a tv commercial Germany, I barely ever see her on billboards (even in Hamburg, Berlin or Köln), I never saw her perfum (but Sabatini's) in a store, the only time she was mentioned on TV the last few years was when this moron Adam Levine said she was a "dead frog" in bed and I think I have only read very few articles about her in non tennis related magazines.

I know she's a big star, but somehow I don't see that much of it:shrug:
Which is sad, because I love her and I would die to see those canon ads with a German synchronisation!!!

*edit* I don't see much of Serena either, but somehow I see "something" from Anna at least once a month. When she appeared at some event or if she allegedly married/broke up with Enrique or took pictures for magazines... She may not be playing any longer, but she somehow manages to stay in the news.

abraham
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:28 PM
^^Yeah, and that's why they're still together, since Enrique's carreer is SO HOT right now...

not in the USA though.

Vanity Bonfire
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:29 PM
not in the USA though.

If what Enrique has been saying in the media lately is true, then Anna K must have really small hands.

Marilyn Monheaux
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:32 PM
not in the USA though.

I was being sarcastic;)

If what Enrique has been saying in the media lately is true, then Anna K must have really small hands.

:spit::rolls:

KanSuke
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I know not everywhere in the world. But you won't hear too much about Williams sister outside tennis, at least not more than Sharapova. People are just kinda aware that in Tennis world, there's a lady called Sharapova who's famous for its beauty and success in tennis. They won't really care about how much William sisters dominate the tennis world and stuff. :shrug:

abraham
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I was being sarcastic;)

:spit::rolls:

you bad girl.LOL.i did not get what you meant.

AnomyBC
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM

Some reports estimate that Anna still makes about 5 Million annually, but the forbes list isn't solely based on salaries, but web-hits, etc which could be the reason why Anna isn't listed any longer.

Those numbers are fascinating. And yeah, as I said, it looks like Maria has made the most.

PS - I did read that Forbes said that Kournikova made $5 Mil for the June 2005-June 2006 period, so you can add that... but I don't have what she made for June 2004-June 2005.

CJ07
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:34 PM
You do realize that the Williams Sisters still pull higher ratings and sell more tickets than Sharapova does right? Tennis wise, they're far more popular. Its just that Sharapova is tall, white and blonde and (much like Kournikova) is more sellable in a broader context. She gets paid more because her being in a Wimbledon final is free advertising to complement all her "power shot" commercials (although most of the power shots she sees nowadays is all ones from Serena flying past her).

Lets be honest here. Europe is pretty much all white, so is Russia, the US is mainly and Japan has a blonde fetish - Sharapova is an advertisers dream. The fact that Serena and to a lesser extent Venus get as much attention as they do despite their racial disadvantage is quite remarkable.

And before people get in a racial thing, I'm not saying its racism, I'm saying its appealing to a demographic. If you're advertising to a black audience, you want to show them a black face. If you're advertising to a white audience, you want to show them a white face. The white audience is bigger, richer and more reliable as consumers. Therefore, Kournikova, Sharapova, et. all. are more successful. Is this always the case? Not necessarily. Tiger Woods is a good example. However, as he is a man, the angle of his appeal is completely different. For women its all about looks and its all about being as caucasion as possible.

Beyoncé wears weaves and has her skin artificially lightened in magazines for a reason.

PatM04
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Does anyone know what her kswiss contract is worth?

KournikovaFan91
Apr 18th, 2009, 11:43 PM
The fact we are having this discussion shows that she is the most commercially successful.

She doesn't even play and still got a K-Swiss contract we will see if Maria can still pull in the contracts after she retires.

Lulu.
Apr 19th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Probably. :shrug:

AnomyBC
Apr 19th, 2009, 12:38 AM
The fact we are having this discussion shows that she is the most commercially successful.

She doesn't even play and still got a K-Swiss contract we will see if Maria can still pull in the contracts after she retires.

Well Maria is already proving that she can get endorsement deals without actually playing tennis, so she can match Kournikova in that category too :lol:

Lin Lin
Apr 19th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Well Maria is already proving that she can get endorsement deals without actually playing tennis, so she can match Kournikova in that category too :lol:

This is different,Maria is still an active player of WTA,but Kournikova is retired;)

frenchie
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I often read things about Anna K and the WS in gossip magazines or TV guides

Anna K has a big poster in the Adidas store where I shop

Sharapova = NADA

rjd1111
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:16 AM
The Question is commercially successful. Yet no one

mentions players named Williams. Sharapova is the

highest paid player now, but that has only been for

the last 3 or 4 years. At a reported 15 to 22 million

a year and 12+ mil for Tennis thats about $ 80 mil

give or take. The Williams Sisters surpassed that many

years ago. Venus signed with Reebok for $12 mil when

She was 14 before her first Pro match and Serena followed

suit with Puma a little later. They each re-signed with those

companies for $40 mil each. Thats $104 mil. After that

Serena signed with Nike for $60 mil.

Add to that the Millions from McDonalds, Avon, Wrigleys,

American Express, Close-Up, HP, Oreo, Pepsico, Wilson,

and others. Serena got paid for acting in those TV shows

and movies She was in and they got paid for the Documentary

and reality show about them. Then there is Aneres, and

V-Starr interiors, Eleven, and Ree's new Jewelry line and

Perfume.

Kick-in the $45+ mil they have made in Tennis and I think

they eclipse both Maria and Anna combined.

rjd1111
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:24 AM
If anyone cares, I got some numbers from Forbes.....

In 2007 Sharapova made $26 million and Serena made $14 million.

In 2005 Sharapova made $19 million, Serena made $10 million and Kournikova made $5 million.

Granted this is only 2 years, but it leads me to believe that Sharapova has probably made the most.

EDIT: Apparently the "2007" numbers are actually the amounts the players earned from June 2007 to June 2008, and similarly, the "2005" numbers are apparently the amounts the players earned from June 2005 to June 2006.

The Williams Sisters started signing multi-million dollar

contracts in the 90s. A decade before Maria's first big year in 2005

rjd1111
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:34 AM

In Jan of '98 Serena signed her first Contract with

Puma for $12 mil. Venus did it in May of '95

rjd1111
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:37 AM
^^ See. Anna made two million more than Serena in 2002 in spite of the fact that she lost in the first round of every grand slam tournament! The amount of money she got relative to her results was just crazy! Can you just imagine if she actually won tournaments?

I think you better read that again with your Glasses on

rjd1111
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:41 AM
The facts are quite clear – Maria Sharapova is by far the most commercially successful woman in all women sports, not only in tennis. There is no room for expressing personal opinions when the facts are so heavy in favour of Maria.
But we must recognize and must not forget another fact – without Anna, Maria would not be so successful. Anna opened the door and Maria took the opportunities there. Now, after Maria’s commercial success, all tennis players have chances to make big money outside the court.

The thread says Most Commercially successful ever, not just

right now. The Sisters and Anna were making big bucks a

decade before Maria was on the map.

rjd1111
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:48 AM

I think a lot of Enrique's fame is because he is

with Anna. I never head of him before that.

AnomyBC
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:54 AM
In Jan of '98 Serena signed her first Contract with

Puma for $12 mil. Venus did it in May of '95

The numbers above are also leaving out some big years for Kournikova. I don't supposed anyone has the Forbes numbers from before '99, do they?

These are the totals based on the years we have so far......

Serena = 94.2 million
Sharapova = 86.2 million
Kournikova = 46 million

So even just based on these numbers Serena has made more than Sharapova total, but Sharapova's average per year is by far the highest.

My Guesses For Total Lifetime Earnings

Serena = $120 million?
Sharapova = $95 million?
Kournikova = $75 million?
Venus = $75 million?
Hingis = $50 million?

Henin and Davenport made a lot too, but probably less than $50 million.

rjd1111
Apr 19th, 2009, 02:57 AM

And Serena is not? The only thing I've seen Maria in lately

that Hero commercial for Sony. Serena has been on Late night with

Fallon, The Tonite show with Leno, Ellen Degeneres, That

cooking show, and the Today show a couple of days ago.

rjd1111
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Yeah, I know not everywhere in the world. But you won't hear too much about Williams sister outside tennis, at least not more than Sharapova. People are just kinda aware that in Tennis world, there's a lady called Sharapova who's famous for its beauty and success in tennis. They won't really care about how much William sisters dominate the tennis world and stuff. :shrug:

The charismatic Williams charmed the crowd throughout the week and was adopted by the capital’s fans who throughout her matches chanted her newly acquired Chinese nickname “Xiao Wei” (Little Williams). The 12 personal bodyguards assigned to “Xiao Wei” for the week struggled to keep up with the enthusiasm of the fans that followed her throughout the massive facilities of the young event, which has been earmarked, by Beijing and China to be developed into one of the world’s premier tennis tournaments.

The Williams Sisters have played all over the World for

many years more than Pova. In countries where Tennis

is more popular than the U.S. Its ridiculous to think

people don't know them. Pova has never been to Africa

Serena is starting a school there. If some country is

to poor to know about Tennis, they are surely to poor

to know about a Canon sure-shot.

rjd1111
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:13 AM

She is also losing them. Gatorade just dropped her

and picked up Serena.

rjd1111
Apr 19th, 2009, 03:29 AM
The numbers above are also leaving out some big years for Kournikova. I don't supposed anyone has the Forbes numbers from before '99, do they?

These are the totals based on the years we have so far......

Serena = 94.2 million
Sharapova = 86.2 million
Kournikova = 46 million

So even just based on these numbers Serena has made more than Sharapova total, but Sharapova's average per year is by far the highest.

My Guesses For Total Lifetime Earnings

Serena = $120 million?
Sharapova = $95 million?
Kournikova = $75 million?
Venus = $75 million?
Hingis = $50 million?

Henin and Davenport made a lot too, but probably less than $50 million.

Serena = $120 million?

Just Serena's Shoe and clothing contracts are nearly

that. $52 Mil from Puma and $60 Mil from Nike. Thats

$112 Mil right there. They must have left out some

years or didn't count some endorsements.

Venus's numbers are low too. Just Reebok is $ 52 mil

All those other endorsements along with her businesses

for all of those years puts her well over $ 75 Mil.

denny47
Apr 19th, 2009, 08:16 AM
rjd1111, your logic is very interesting:
- Serena never got more than 14 million annually;
- Maria never got less than 18 million annually

but you still insist Serena is more successful commercially.

- the money Serena made in 2005 and 2006 combined, Maria made in 2006 alone;
- the money Serena made in 2006 and 2007 combined, Maria made in 2008 alone;
- the money Serena made in 2007 and 2008 combined is only 7% more than the money Maria made in 2008 alone;

- the money Serena made in FOUR years (2000 -2003) is only 90% of the money Maria made in her first TWO years;
- what Serena made in THREE years (200, 2001, 2003) or in TWO years (2002, 2003) or in TWO years (2003, 2004) or in TWO years (2004, 2005) or in TWO years (2005, 2006) is less than what Maria made in ONE year (2007 and/or 2008). In other words the dominance of Maria is consistent, not accidental;

- in 2005 Serena’s money are only 69.8% of the Maria’s money;
- in 2006 Serena’s money are only 52.6% of the Maria’s money;
- in 2007 Serena’s money are only 60.9% of the Maria’s money;
- in 2008 Serena’s money are only 53.8% of the Maria’s money;

- Serena’s average amount per year is 10.5 million;
- Maria’s average amount per year is 21.6 million or more than 2 times of Serena’s;

Every expert in the marketing business will tell you that Maria had established new, much higher standards in what a woman in the sport could earn and because of her achievements the other girls in all sports are able to earn now much more than before. What Maria did money wise has not a parallel in the women’s sport history. Even you’ll try your hardest to compare Serena and/or Venus to Maria – they are simply incomparable.
Exactly the same conclusion is valid for Anna and Maria – they are not comparable. Maria is at least two times more successful commercially.

rjd1111
Apr 21st, 2009, 05:45 PM
rjd1111, your logic is very interesting:
- Serena never got more than 14 million annually;
- Maria never got less than 18 million annually

- the money Serena made in 2005 and 2006 combined, Maria made in 2006 alone;
- the money Serena made in 2006 and 2007 combined, Maria made in 2008 alone;
- the money Serena made in 2007 and 2008 combined is only 7% more than the money Maria made in 2008 alone;

- the money Serena made in FOUR years (2000 -2003) is only 90% of the money Maria made in her first TWO years;
- what Serena made in THREE years (200, 2001, 2003) or in TWO years (2002, 2003) or in TWO years (2003, 2004) or in TWO years (2004, 2005) or in TWO years (2005, 2006) is less than what Maria made in ONE year (2007 and/or 2008). In other words the dominance of Maria is consistent, not accidental;

- in 2005 Serena’s money are only 69.8% of the Maria’s money;
- in 2006 Serena’s money are only 52.6% of the Maria’s money;
- in 2007 Serena’s money are only 60.9% of the Maria’s money;
- in 2008 Serena’s money are only 53.8% of the Maria’s money;

- Serena’s average amount per year is 10.5 million;
- Maria’s average amount per year is 21.6 million or more than 2 times of Serena’s;

Every expert in the marketing business will tell you that Maria had established new, much higher standards in what a woman in the sport could earn and because of her achievements the other girls in all sports are able to earn now much more than before. What Maria did money wise has not a parallel in the women’s sport history. Even you’ll try your hardest to compare Serena and/or Venus to Maria – they are simply incomparable.
Exactly the same conclusion is valid for Anna and Maria – they are not comparable. Maria is at least two times more successful commercially.

- "Maria never got less than 18 million annually"

Not true. Pova turned pro in 2001. She did not start making big bucks

til 2005 after '04 Wimb and the YEC. Thats only 4 years.

Yes, in each of those 4 years She made more than Serena. But Serena

Has been a pro for 14 years and was making big bucks for 12 of them.

Venus even longer. And you're right, Pova made $ 18 M the first

year and someone on another board just posted a list that showed

she made $ 22 m last year. Taking into account that these numbers

are estimations and may be a little higher or lower thats around

$ 80 M. Just Serena's Puma and Nike contracts are a $ 112 m.

Common sense tells me that 112 > 80. Counting all of her other

endorsements, acting, and business bucks there is no comparison.

I read some of those Marketeers saying that about Masha. One of

them was the rep for one of the companies that signed her to

a contract. What do you expect him to say. That they signed a loser?

They do think Masha is a marketing Goldmine and She may be. But

its only 4 years. In your stats you keep breaking Ree's earnings

into 2 or 3 year segments vs 1 or 2 years of Povas. Compare Serena's

14 years with Masha's 4. And Venus' 15 years.

donniedarkofan
Apr 21st, 2009, 09:02 PM
just walk through your city downtown and ask 100 random people who is Anna Kournikova, Maria Sharapova and Serena Willams...almost everyone knows Kournikova and not only half of people know Sharapova or Serena...these are simple facts

abraham
Apr 21st, 2009, 09:45 PM
anna reason why anna was very famous it's because of her colorful lovelife.remember when she started dating fedorov it was kind of scandalous as she was only 15 yrs old and fedorov was 27 yrs old.the press had a field day at that time.

Pheobo
Apr 21st, 2009, 10:21 PM
I would imagine that the Williams sisters are the most commercially successful players...at least in the states.

nat75
Apr 21st, 2009, 11:32 PM

Which means she's the most commercially successful ever. :p

Slutiana
Apr 21st, 2009, 11:56 PM
True. Ask any man who Anna Kournikova is and they'll pretty much respond positively.

I'll probably get bashed for this, but I think one of the biggest reasons why Maria is so successful commercially is because the media was looking for the blonde, leggy bombshell, after Anna left the scene. And when Maria came along, the media were all over her proclaiming her the next "Anna Kournikova." When Maria started winning tournaments it drove the media even crazier because they've managed to find a tennis bombshell that actually wins.

Hmm, well you shouldnt speak for other countries, but I know for a fact where I live, in the UK, The WS are 50 times more well known than Maria. For sure.

And seriously, people may see her in adevertisments left right and centre. But they dont know her, who she is (apart from the fact that shes a tennis player) or her story do they? Put her in a lineup of 5 blondes around her heaight and people probably wouldnt even be able to pick her out. Just because people see her on TV more than others, doesnt mean shes more well-known.

Andy.
Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
She is also losing them. Gatorade just dropped her

and picked up Serena.
Yes but she was just picked up by another company who are paying her even more money.

rjd1111
Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:39 AM
just walk through your city downtown and ask 100 random people who is Anna Kournikova, Maria Sharapova and Serena Willams...almost everyone knows Kournikova and not only half of people know Sharapova or Serena...these are simple facts

I have done that. I even posted about it a year or so

ago. And many more people knew who Serena was than Maria.

A few knew who Anna was but hardly any knew Pova.

bobbynorwich
Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:45 AM
Kournikova can't compare to Sharapova. This reprise of a Sports Illustrated article states that she was the world wealthiest female athlete dating back to 2006.Maria Sharapova ranked world's richest woman in sport.

The income of the Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova (http://english.pravda.ru/topic/Sharapova-20) in 2006 made up $25 million. This is a record number among all female athletes.
http://english.pravda.ru/img/0.gif http://english.pravda.ru/img/0.gif http://english.pravda.ru/img/0.gif http://english.pravda.ru/img/0.gif http://english.pravda.ru/img/0.gif http://english.pravda.ru/img/0.gif
http://english.pravda.ru/img/0.gifUS magazine Sports Illustrated proved that Maria Sharapova (http://english.pravda.ru/filing/Sharapova/) is the highest paid female athlete in the world. The loudest tennis player makes up 13.4 British pounds a year, which equals about 25 million US dollars. Maria has not been able to achieve any significant victories on tennis court after her triumph in Wimbledon (http://english.pravda.ru/filing/Wimbledon/) 2004. However, the star, who currently resides in Florida, continues to receive very good money on her bank account from a variety of advertising campaigns.

American journalists were surprised to find out that Sharapova outstripped world’s best tennis player among men, Roger Federer (http://english.pravda.ru/filing/Roger_Federer/). The winner of eight Grand Slam tournaments earns three million less than Sharapova does.

At present moment, Sharapova ranks fourth among world’s strongest female tennis players. Unlike Anna Kournikova (http://english.pravda.ru/topic/Kournikova-193) (pictures (http://english.pravda.ru/photo/sports/)), Maria says at her almost every press conference that tennis is her first priority. When journalists told her about her earnings, she joked: “Money is never enough. There is no limit of how much you can make,” said she.

It is worthy of note that her skills of playing tennis (http://english.pravda.ru/filing/tennis/) and screaming on the court bring her only two million dollars a year. The basic income comes from advertising (http://english.pravda.ru/filing/advertising/). The Russian girl of Siberian origin has become a great attraction to advertisers. It just so happens that her face and legs bring her $20 a year. She advertises tennis gear, cameras, cars (http://english.pravda.ru/topic/auto_cars-530), watches and cellular phones (http://english.pravda.ru/filing/cellular_phones/). When a journalist asked her about her appearance in Lady’s Speed Stick deodorant TV ads, which are currently aired on many Russian channels, she said that she could not recollect such a contract.

Maria Sharapova is very proud of launching the production of her own perfume (http://english.pravda.ru/filing/perfume/). “When you win Wimbledon, you think about the work that you had to do to accomplish the goal, but you don’t think about money. But if you win all the four Slams, you can make more than 100 million dollars.” It is not ruled out that Maria can make such earnings in the future.

http://english.pravda.ru/society/showbiz/24-08-2006/84072-Maria_Sharapova-0
There's also another fascinating 2005 article about her early rise in earning. http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/celebrity100/hotshotsharapova.html.

rjd1111
Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:52 AM

" Just see how much fame this lady gained these years. All the commercials that broadcast internationally, all the attention she got from media, all those fashion shows she attended. Every move of her is getting so much attention. Who she's dating, what she's wearing, using. She's not only in the sports section of news, she's in entertainment section too, in fashion section too.
People who don't follow tennis know there's this lady that's really beautiful called Serena who is always on TV or Ads, whatever stuff alot."

Do you realize that all of these things you

said about Maria can be applied to Serena too

Think about it.

bobbynorwich
Apr 22nd, 2009, 01:14 AM
Do you realize that all of these things you
said about Maria can be applied to Serena too
Think about it.

All of that could be true, but doesn't mean equally sized contracts. How many people recognize you is less important than how many products you can sell worldwide, not just in your home country. Here's the earnings estimates in 2006 from Forbes.

2. Maria Sharapova

Credentials: 11 singles titles; first Russian tennis player ever ranked No. 1 in the world (2005); Wimbledon singles champion in 2004; Women’s Tennis Association Player of the Year in 2004; Russia’s tennis federation named Sharapova the country’s best female tennis player in 2005.

Fan interest: The 6-foot-2 part-time model appeals to men with her physique and to aspiring women tennis players with her play on the court.

Cashing in: Forbes named Sharapova, 19, the highest-paid female athlete in the world in 2005. She is listed as earning upwards of $19 million per year. A majority of this money comes from her endorsement deals with Nike, Canon, Colgate-Palmolive, Motorola and Land Rover.

7. Serena Williams

Credentials: 26 singles tennis titles, including seven grand slam singles titles; 2000 Olympic gold medalist in doubles competition (Sydney); defeated her sister Venus five times in separate grand slam singles titles.

Cashing in: Williams, 24, has endorsement deals with Nike, Wilson, McDonald’s and Estee Lauder. She made TV appearances on ER and the Bernie Mac Show. Forbes estimated she made $10 million on and off the court in 2005.

8. Venus Williams

Credentials: 33 singles tennis titles, including five grand slam singles titles; 2-time Olympic gold medalist in 2000 (Sydney), one in singles, one in doubles.

Cashing in: The elder sister has endorsement deals with American Express, McDonald’s and Wilson. Forbes estimated Williams, 26, made $7 million on and off the court in 2005.

9. Anna Kournikova

Credentials: 13 tennis doubles titles; ranked No. 1 on Nov. 22, 1999 in doubles ranking; named one of People’s 50 Most Beautiful People in 1998, 2000, 2002 and 2003.

Cashing in: Forbes estimated Kournikova made $5 million last year, mostly from endorsements with Adidas and Berlei bras. Darren Rovell, ESPN sports business reporter, said Kournikova consistently made more than $10 million per year.

Analysis: Kournikova remains one of the most recognized names in tennis. The reason she wasn’t ranked higher was due to her performance on the court. Kournikova, 25, has never won a tennis singles title. Her highest singles ranking was eighth. She is now retired from tennis. Kournikova made the list mostly from her star power off the court.

“At the end of the day, guys like pretty girls,” Wheeler said. “And sex sells. I hope I wouldn’t be too naive to think that wasn’t a factor.”

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/ju...t_game/?sports (http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/jun/25/shes_got_game/?sports)

tonybotz
Apr 22nd, 2009, 01:38 AM
anna k still shames the rest of the current wta in the looks dept. um, this is off topic, but what is that pinky ring Adam Lambert is wearing? HA!

Dawn Marie
Apr 22nd, 2009, 02:49 AM
People know who Anna is and Vee and Rena far more then they know Maria.

Fact: Every time Maria steps out on the tennis court people continue to think of Anna K. When Anna steps out somewhere people don't think about Maria. Bottomline: Anna was the FIRST blonde Russian draw, and every single time Maria steps out on or off the court we all think back to Anna K. People know that Anna will ALWAYS the #1 Russian blonde with Masha lagging behind Anna's ponytail. THIS IS A FACT.

bobbynorwich
Apr 22nd, 2009, 03:12 AM
People know who Anna is and Vee and Rena far more then they know Maria.

Fact: Every time Maria steps out on the tennis court THIS IS A FACT.

Perhaps some people do confuse Anna and Maria, but it's a fact that Maria by a very wide margin gets higher endorsement contracts than Serena or Venus --- although all do very well. In 2008, Maria earned $26 million in endorsements compared to Serena's $14 million and Venus's $13 million. See article below that was published a few months ago in Forbes Business magazine (http://prettytough.com/sharapova-on-forbes-best-paid-celebs-under-30-list/)

Sharapova on Forbes’ “Best-Paid Celebs Under 30″ list
December 4, 2008

With a recession officially upon us, top tennis player Maria Sharapova probably won’t be feeling the pinch. Forbes has released their list of "Best Paid Celebs Under 30" and Masha is ranked seventh with earnings of $26 million.

Sharapova made the magazine's list last year (2007) after raking in a cool $23 million but the 21-year-old Russian managed to top that number this time around with earnings of $26 million.There’s nothing like the combination of talent and good looks to woo corporations looking to spend endorsement dollars. Sharapova’s Australian Open title this year was her third Grand Slam win, along with 16 other singles titles. She’s recently added Sony to an endorsement portfolio that includes Pepsi, Colgate-Palmolive, Nike and Motorola.
In fact, athletes (such as Kobe, Lebron) take nearly half the top 10 celebs under 30–indicative of the power of endorsement deals and testament to the fact that they reach their peak much faster than actors, who gain recognition and fatter paychecks over time.

Other female ballers on the list include 27-year-old Serena Williams who earned $14 million after bouncing back and winning three tournament wins this year, matching her combined total from 2005 to 2007. Her endorsement stable includes Hewlett-Packard, Nike and Kraft.

Big sister Venus Williams, 28, defeated Serena at this year’s Wimbledon final, showing she’s got plenty left in the tank (and in the bank) with earnings of $13 million. She’s parlayed success on the court into her own fashion line, EleVen, a collection of casual and performance footwear and apparel.

nashi
Apr 22nd, 2009, 05:00 AM
But not a great tennis player
We just care about tennis:p

bobbynorwich
Apr 23rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
But not a great tennis player
We just care about tennis:p

This thread is about commercial success, not tennis success. Unfortunately they are two very different things.

nat75
Apr 23rd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Anna won an insane ammount of money without winning anything (I'm not counting her doubles record). She's also well known by the non tennis aficionado folk. Case closed.

bobbynorwich
Apr 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Anna won an insane ammount of money without winning anything (I'm not counting her doubles record). She's also well known by the non tennis aficionado folk.

Just like a lot of pretty girls who are models. Beauty sells.