PDA

View Full Version : Bummed Venus Lost, but Impressed with Lisicki

Volcana
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Big first serve, decent second serve, solid groundies, good drop shot, kept her composure.

I looked at her previously results and I don't get why she doesn't win more. This is the first time I've seen her play, but she wasn't lucky. Venus didn't play badly. She didn't play well, but that was her B game anyway. That should beat a player ranked #63. Lisicki clearly came in prepared to crush Venus' second serve, and Venus gave her plenty of them to crush. (75 mph on green clay, with topspin. I could hit one out of ten of those for winners.) But she constructed points, hit a bunch of outright winners .... if that's her normal game, she'll be a bigtime player one day.

Why is this girl ranked so low?

Pristine
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Inconsistency. Did this even needed to be asked. The last time she played like this was last year against Chakvetadze and Davenport.

Razzano does well in Dubai people ask the same question.
CSN in Australia.

Each time there is an upset or someone plays above their average level this gets asked. Obviously, it doesn't happen much and if it did then the 60 something girls above her must play even above that on a regular basis. Highly unlikely. Almost every girl in the top 75 if playing their best tennis can take it to virtually anyone above them, this is nothing new people.

Agreed, Venus' second serve deserves to be smacked for winners. Too bad few people are stepping up on it.

drake3781
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:08 AM
She is not ranked that low... and she has moved up nicely and consistently over only 4+ years. She has been as high as 49.

Here is her history.

Ranking History
Season-Ending Singles 2008-54 ; 2007-237 ; 2006-497 ; 2005-437 ; 2004-951
Career-High Singles No. 49 (October 13, 2008)

Volcana
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Inconsistency. Did this even needed to be asked.Yes. Like I said, it was the first time I'd seen her play. She could have been coming back from illness or injury, for all I know.

Pristine
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Yes. Like I said, it was the first time I'd seen her play. She could have been coming back from illness or injury, for all I know.

Everyone thought she was going to breakthrough around this time last year when she was brushing aside Chakvetadze(while Anna was still in Top 10 and playing somewhat decent tennis) and stunning Davenport(indoors too IIRC).

She fell back into that zone and maybe this time she'll build on it.

Golovinjured.
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Inconsistency. Did this even needed to be asked. The last time she played like this was last year against Chakvetadze and Davenport.

Razzano does well in Dubai people ask the same question.
CSN in Australia.

Each time there is an upset or someone plays above their average level this gets asked. Obviously, it doesn't happen much and if it did then the 60 something girls above her must play even above that on a regular basis. Highly unlikely. Almost every girl in the top 75 if playing their best tennis can take it to virtually anyone above them, this is nothing new people.

Agreed, Venus' second serve deserves to be smacked for winners. Too bad few people are stepping up on it.

Agree 100%. People see one good performance and ponder why the are ranked lower, or have less impressive results. From what I saw of Lisicki in Australia against Dellacqua (Hopman Cup) and Stosur (Australian Open), it's no surprise to me that she's ranked where she is. She's pretty inconsistent, but you can see she has the groundstrokes to trouble anybody when they're on.

Dave.
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Yeah, this victory makes me feel alot better about the time she beat Davenport (6-1 7-5). Because that was a real shock for me, Lindsay usually never lost to someone she shouldn't have.

She is clearly very talented just too inconsistent.

partbrit
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:21 AM
She is playing much better now than she did last year. She's added a lot to her game.

pepaw
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:34 AM
she beat safina last year in australia too right? so she has 3 huge scalps but not great overall results

Natash.
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Her game is very explosive and exciting but again, inconsistency. Not like she can't find some consistency because I've seen her construct points before beautifully. She's been moving up and has the weapons to beat top players.

Dawn Marie
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:53 AM
I think you're the kind of Venus fan who gets lost in this "BIG HUGE VENUS FACTOR". Look, Venus is a great ass champion but the past years since 1994 has shown the world that she can also lose to any given player. Lisiski (sp) needs to show solid top level CONSISTANT tennis to be considered a GREAT player. Unless she had some solid shoelace picker uppers off the ground or a backhand that was undeniable. (IE) Carla Squarez Navarreo (sp) then this is just another player who probably will have a Venus win on her record but will stay icognito on the tennis circuit for the rest of her natural born tennis life. I mean does anyone really remember, Pironokova or Clarissa Fernandez?? Sure the kid had some solid strokes, but since 1994 anyone can beat Venus. Yet this doesn't mean that Venus will always lose playing the big ones.

Roookie
Apr 17th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I think you're the kind of Venus fan who gets lost in this "BIG HUGE VENUS FACTOR". Look, Venus is a great ass champion but the past years since 1994 has shown the world that she can also lose to any given player. Lisiski (sp) needs to show solid top level CONSISTANT tennis to be considered a GREAT player. Unless she had some solid shoelace picker uppers off the ground or a backhand that was undeniable. (IE) Carla Squarez Navarreo (sp) then this is just another player who probably will have a Venus win on her record but will stay icognito on the tennis circuit for the rest of her natural born tennis life. I mean does anyone really remember, Pironokova or Clarissa Fernandez?? Sure the kid had some solid strokes, but since 1994 anyone can beat Venus. Yet this doesn't mean that Venus will always lose playing the big ones.

1994 really?...:eek:

Dawn Marie
Apr 17th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Uh didn't the Queen turn pro in 1994? She made her breakthru in 1997 but she's been around since 94???

This ain't Hingis,Justine,Clijsters were talking about here. The kiddo has been around for awhile. Which is why I respect her wins as well as her losses anymore.

skanky~skanketta
Apr 17th, 2009, 08:25 AM
:hearts: (btw it's Suarez Navarro)

But you're right. Of all the "formidable players" such as Serena, Kim, Justine, Lindsay, and Maria, Venus is the one who's the most prone to getting upset. But it's so easy to slip back into the past and remember how she was practically unbeatable back till 2002, where only the top players beat her, IF they did.

Volcana
Apr 19th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I think you're the kind of Venus fan who gets lost in this "BIG HUGE VENUS FACTOR".I disagree, but for the moment let's say you're right.

Further, let's say all the people citing 'inconsistency are right too.

As I said, in the OP, that was the frist time I'd seen her play. And frankly, I'm not seeing that inconsistency. Yeah, small sample size, but still. And maybe I am blinded by the 'ohmygawd she beat fucking Venus Williams' factor, but I was never impressed by Karolina Sprem or Carla Suarez Navarro. This kid impresses me.

bobbynorwich
Apr 19th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Yeah, she's been moving up steadily and clearly is maturing. She has a huge serve, knows how to dictate play, hits a heavy ball, and uses good variety. Against Wozniacki at FamilyCircle, she had 33 winners and 9 aces! The German Federation said in an interview that she's not at all intimidated by any "big names." However, only time will tell if she can sustain this momemtum.

Golovinjured.
Apr 19th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Why'd you change the thread title? :confused: Subtle.

UncleZeke
Apr 20th, 2009, 12:03 AM
She is only 19. She won twice on the ITF circuit, has played in five Grand Slams and has a 5 - 5 GS record, which isn't bad, starting out your career.
After today's big win, and the confidence that will come from that, a top 20 ranking in the near future will not surprise me.

Volcana
Apr 20th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Why'd you change the thread title? :confused: Subtle.This was the original intended title. I f*cked it up the first time.

Golovinjured.
Apr 20th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Okies :D:D

youizahoe
Apr 20th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Always thought she'd be big, cause she can hit 195k serves, and plays very aggressive, but didn't expect her to get so good so fast, we need more teenagers like her to spice it up.

Dawn Marie
Apr 20th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I disagree, but for the moment let's say you're right.

Further, let's say all the people citing 'inconsistency are right too.

As I said, in the OP, that was the frist time I'd seen her play. And frankly, I'm not seeing that inconsistency. Yeah, small sample size, but still. And maybe I am blinded by the 'ohmygawd she beat fucking Venus Williams' factor, but I was never impressed by Karolina Sprem or Carla Suarez Navarro. This kid impresses me.
Ok, so you feel better with this thread because the kid won a title. I still think that you're blind, by the "oh my gawd she beat fucking Venus Williams" factor". It's still too early to tell if this girl will be a force on the tour. A win over Venus just NEVER tells the tale.

Dani12
Apr 20th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I agree, I really like Sabine's game. She is aggresive and has a ton of confidence and belief. She needs to grow into it a bit more though, she'll learn things along the way about herself and her game, in two years I expect her to be a top player.

Also I was surprised that she was so tame against Stosur at the Australian Open, I thought she was growing to trouble Sam. But I think this week is really a coming out party for Sabine, she should go on to bigger and better things from here on.