PDA

View Full Version : The best surface for the Top 10...?

Renalicious
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:07 AM
What do you think these players play their best at?

1. Serena Williams - Hard.
2. Dinara Safina - Hard. But she has good results on clay.
3. Elena Dementieva - Clay.
4. Jelena Jankovic - Clay.
5. Venus Williams - Grass.
6. Vera Zvonareva - Hard, maybe? She's good on Clay too I think.
7. Ana Ivanovic - Hard, despite her Clay success.
8. Victoria Azarenka - Hard, it seems.
9. Svetlana Kuznetsova - Plays well on all surfaces (including Carpet/Indoor), I would say Clay.
10. Nadia Petrova - Clay.

...Only Venus plays best on Grass. I think it's because there's only like, 4 weeks worth of Grass tournaments on the calendar so the girls don't bother working hard on that surface.

HenryMag.
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Lena - hard, not clay

AnywhereButHome
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Safina - clay , not hard.

Renalicious
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I wouldn't say so.

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Lena - hard, not clay

without a doubt

I wouldn't say so.

You wouldn't, we did say so :shrug:

And big LOL @ Kuznetsova being good indoors. Her best surface is outdoor hardcourts (7/9 career titles).

Aleksandrina
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:31 AM

I agree :)

Renalicious
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM
without a doubt

You wouldn't, we did say so :shrug:

And big LOL @ Kuznetsova's being good indoors. Her best surface is outdoor hardcourts (7/9 career titles).

Um. Why don't you calm down. I don't exactly take out my big fat encyclopedia for records. And I was just posting my opinion. Make your own list if you want.

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Um. Why don't you calm down. I don't exactly take out my big fat encyclopedia for records. And I was just posting my opinion. Make your own list if you want.

:weirdo:

You DID ask other posters to express their opinion in the original post. I DO express my opinion. What's the problem?

And you don't need to take out your "big fat encyclopedia for records" though it would be logical to check players results before getting into such discussion.
You only need to remember that Kuznetsova won USO and Miami, Dementieva won Olympics and reached multiple USO semis and Safina's biggest wins came in Berlin and Paris.

Sexysova
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:48 AM
1. Serena Williams - Hard
2. Dinara Safina - Clay
3. Elena Dementieva - Hard
4. Jelena Jankovic - Hard
5. Venus Williams - Grass
6. Vera Zvonareva - Hard
7. Ana Ivanovic - Clay
8. Victoria Azarenka - Hard
9. Svetlana Kuznetsova - Hard(Outdoors)
10. Nadia Petrova - Hard

Pristine
Apr 16th, 2009, 11:01 AM

9. Svetlana Kuznetsova - Plays well on all surfaces (including Carpet/Indoor), I would say Clay.

...Only Venus plays best on Grass. I think it's because there's only like, 4 weeks worth of Grass tournaments on the calendar so the girls don't bother working hard on that surface.

Serena - Hard.
Safina - Definitely clay.
Dementieva - Hardcourts in terms of results. Clay in terms of better chances of winning things.
Jankovic - Clay.
Venus - Grass.
Zvonareva - Hardcourts in terms of results. Clay in terms of better chances winning things.
Ivanovic - Not sure.
Azarenka - Hard.
Kuznetsova - Hardcourts in terms of results. Clay in terms of better chances winning things.
Petrova - Clay.

To the thread starter, Kuznetsova has never won a title indoors and has a questionable indoor record.

Mateo Mathieu
Apr 16th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Kuznetsova + Indoors = :help:

jimbo mack
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:04 PM
serena - hard - due to amount of AO, US and miami titles
safina - clay - french open RU, champion berlin, RU in rome, charleston
dementieva - hard - beijing gold medal, silver sydney. US open has been her most successful slam
jankovic - hard - us open, miami RU
Venus Williams grass - no explanation needed
Zvonareva - Hard - AO semi, IW champion, bronze medal beijing
Ivanovic - Clay - french open and berlin champion
Azarenka - Hard - miami champion
Kuznetsova - Hard - US open and miami champion
Petrova - Clay and Indoors (champion amelia island, charleston, berlin, stuttgart, linz, paris)

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Sveta is an indoors gimp

Renalicious
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM
:weirdo:

You DID ask other posters to express their opinion in the original post. I DO express my opinion. What's the problem?

And you don't need to take out your "big fat encyclopedia for records" though it would be logical to check players results before getting into such discussion.
You only need to remember that Kuznetsova won USO and Miami, Dementieva won Olympics and reached multiple USO semis and Safina's biggest wins came in Berlin and Paris.

Okay I concede that Dementieva's best surface may be Hard, but in comparison to other players, she has an advantage on Clay because not everyone is good on that surface. She's also made the finals and other QFs in the FO, which is a good result.

Regarding Kuznetsova, I never said her best surface was Indoor. I said she plays well on all surfaces. Hey, she won against Serena Williams on Indoor so that proves to me she can play well on that surface. On top of this, in 2006 she made the SFs of Stuttgart and Zurich and in 2007 she made the SFs of Stuttgart and Moscow. I said she plays her best on Clay because she's made the final, reached a SF and also reached a QF in the FO as well as a win against Henin on clay in Berlin. Plus she's got finals in Rome, Berlin and Warsaw multiple times.

As for Safina, she never won Paris. Her best surface is hard because she's won LA, Montreal, Tokyo as well as make the finals of the Olympics, Sydney and the Australian Open plus a SF and QF in the US Open. She had a good two-tournament stretch on Clay last year but overall her results on Hard are better.

austennis
Apr 16th, 2009, 02:03 PM
serena - hard - due to amount of AO, US and miami titles
safina - clay - french open RU, champion berlin, RU in rome, charleston
dementieva - hard - beijing gold medal, silver sydney. US open has been her most successful slam
jankovic - hard - us open, miami RU
Venus Williams grass - no explanation needed
Zvonareva - Hard - AO semi, IW champion, bronze medal beijing
Ivanovic - Clay - french open and berlin champion
Azarenka - Hard - miami champion
Kuznetsova - Hard - US open and miami champion
Petrova - Clay and Indoors (champion amelia island, charleston, berlin, stuttgart, linz, paris)

Well done agree on all of these.. and interesting to note that most the girls share a liking for clay and hardcourt :D good analysis

Bartosh
Apr 16th, 2009, 02:11 PM
2. Dinara Safina - Clay
4. Jelena Jankovic - Clay
6. Vera Zvonareva - Hard
7. Ana Ivanovic - Clay
9. Svetlana Kuznetsova - Hard
10. Nadia Petrova - Hard

Lennval
Apr 16th, 2009, 02:11 PM
lena hard clearly

frenchie
Apr 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
2. Dinara Safina - Clay
4. Jelena Jankovic - Hard
6. Vera Zvonareva - Hard
7. Ana Ivanovic - Clay
9. Svetlana Kuznetsova - Clay
10. Nadia Petrova - Clay

thetennistimes
Apr 16th, 2009, 02:40 PM
thats a pretty cool list.

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Okay I concede that Dementieva's best surface may be Hard, but in comparison to other players, she has an advantage on Clay because not everyone is good on that surface. She's also made the finals and other QFs in the FO, which is a good result.

Regarding Kuznetsova, I never said her best surface was Indoor. I said she plays well on all surfaces. Hey, she won against Serena Williams on Indoor so that proves to me she can play well on that surface. On top of this, in 2006 she made the SFs of Stuttgart and Zurich and in 2007 she made the SFs of Stuttgart and Moscow. I said she plays her best on Clay because she's made the final, reached a SF and also reached a QF in the FO as well as a win against Henin on clay in Berlin. Plus she's got finals in Rome, Berlin and Warsaw multiple times.

As for Safina, she never won Paris. Her best surface is hard because she's won LA, Montreal, Tokyo as well as make the finals of the Olympics, Sydney and the Australian Open plus a SF and QF in the US Open. She had a good two-tournament stretch on Clay last year but overall her results on Hard are better.

1) 6/8 Dementieva's top-10 wins came in NYC. She reached F, three SF and one QF there having defeated Davenport, Capriati, Mauresmo among others. All Lena has done in Paris is defeating injured Davenport and Chokomomo.
2) Kuznetsova never made it to final indoors. Her over W/L ratio indoors is slightly above 50%. She is USELESS indoors. And win over Serena doesn't exactly prove anything.
3) I didn't say Safina won Paris. I said she had her best wins in Berlin and Paris (and Rome too) :
2006 Rome : def. Clijsters, Kuznetsova, Dementieva
2008 Berlin : def. Henin, Serena, Dementieva
2008 Roland Garros : def. Sharapova, Dementeva, Kuznetsova.
She has never had multiple top-10 wins at the same tournament on other surfaces.

SerenaWFan
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Serena: Hard (4x Aus Open, 3x US Open, 5x Miami, 2x Indian Wells, Toronto)
Safina: Clay (Berlin, Roland Garros F, Rome F)
Dementieva: Hard (Olympics, Dubai, US Open F, Miami F, Indian Wells F, 3x US Open SF, Aus Open SF)
Jankovic: Clay (2x Rome, Charleston, 2x Roland Garros SF)
Venus: Grass (5x Wimbledon, 2x Wimbledon F)
Zvonareva: Hard (Indian Wells, YEC F, Doha F, Aus Open SF)
Ivanovic: Clay (Roland Garros, Berlin, Roland Garros F)
Azarenka: Hard (Miami)
Kuznetsova: Hard (US Open, Miami, US Open F, 2x Indian Wells F, 2x Dubai F)
Petrova: Clay (Berlin, Charleston, Amelia Island, 2x Roland Garros SF)

The Daviator
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:33 PM

I would say Hard is actually only Ana's 3rd best surface -

1. Clay
2. Indoors
3. Hard
4. Grass

Craig.
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Sharapova: Indoors then hard.

Matt01
Apr 16th, 2009, 11:27 PM
"Indoors" and "hard" are not different surfaces.

Craig.
Apr 16th, 2009, 11:28 PM

Fine.

Sharapova: Hard (more specifically indoors) :p

Pristine
Apr 16th, 2009, 11:29 PM

Tour lists some as carpet and some as hard(I). I'd reckon that is for a reason.