PDA

View Full Version : Best results 2009

Navratil
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Which player's resutlts are the biggest surprise for you? :confused:

I think all of these 10 players have got a very good and consistent year so far! :bounce:

Iveta Benesova
Anne Keothavong
Na Li
Maria-Jose Martinez
KarolinaSprem
Samantha Stosur
Carla Suarez
Elena Vesnina
Roberta Vinci
Jie Zheng

Pasta-Na
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:01 AM
no vika? :p

Navratil
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Azarenka is not a great surprise, isn't it? ;-)

LudwigDvorak
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Vesnina is the biggest surprise by far. She showed glimpses of potential in late '06, but for two full seasons after that she was nothing more than another empty space in the top 100 being filled.

Now she's actually getting results. I am impressed. Benesova too perhaps, she's building on her form from the spring of last year and hasn't stopped.

I am happy with how Li is going as well, but considering she's been in the top 20 and has beaten plenty of top players, I dunno if she quite belongs in this list.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Gee....that's really tough. I got to say, you picked your selections very well Navratil. :yeah:

Pretty much every one of them has been very good this year. I would say most of them started their moves up the rankings in the middle of last year but they have all continued that momentum very well this year too.

I'm tempted to go with Iveta, and she has been super this year, but she is a big fave of mine and I am biased there. So of the others I think Stosur, Vesnina and Vinci are the three who have consistantly impressed me throughout the year the most. Of those I will pick Vinci simply because I never expect her to do well on clay and she done. I also saw her play a bit at the last two Wimbledons and she looked totally useless and washed up so credit to her for getting her game back so well.

AnywhereButHome
Apr 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Benesova!!!

Aleksandrina
Apr 16th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Vesna

Sexysova
Apr 16th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Lena V

Pristine
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Gee....that's really tough. I got to say, you picked your selections very well Navratil. :yeah:

Pretty much every one of them has been very good this year. I would say most of them started their moves up the rankings in the middle of last year but they have all continued that momentum very well this year too.

I'm tempted to go with Iveta, and she has been super this year, but she is a big fave of mine and I am biased there. So of the others I think Stosur, Vesnina and Vinci are the three who have consistantly impressed me throughout the year the most. Of those I will pick Vinci simply because I never expect her to do well on clay and she done. I also saw her play a bit at the last two Wimbledons and she looked totally useless and washed up so credit to her for getting her game back so well.

Stosur who has choked for three months? I'll take Benesova or Vesnina.

nevetssllim
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't really agree with Keothavong. She's made no impression in big events...

I would go with Vesnina, Benesova and perhaps Yakimova.

pwayne
Apr 16th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Elena Vesnina(15-6 as of today) has been the biggest surprise. Finalist at Auckland(l. Dementieva) and semifinalist at Ponte Vedra Beach(l. Wozniacki - had 4 match points). Only 2 first round losses. Hope Elena V can win at least an International title so she can automatically qualify for Bali based on current form.

jonny84
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Vesnina I think. I think she will scoop her first title this year.

AndreConrad
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:24 PM
This is definitely a tough choice. For me it is between Iveta and Elena V. I voted for Iveta, but I am still not that sure of that choice.

joćo.
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:35 PM
LenaV :D

Navratil
Apr 17th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Maybe Czink belongs to the list after beating Petrova last night. But after a good start to the season down under she lost a lot of matches ...

Cp6uja
Apr 17th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Vesnina is right now 13th ranked Russian... but #5 at current YEC-2009 RACE (after yesterday's win), so she is way ahead this selection.

Together with Vesnina Poll options in this Poll should included RAZZANO, SUAREZ NAVARRO, DOKIC, PAVLYUCHENKOVA, KANEPI and LISICKI.

Mr.Kardashian
Apr 17th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Dokic?

nevetssllim
Apr 17th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Having said that, Vesnina was one of the disappointments of the Australian Open. I think she was capable of reaching the third round, and perhaps further.

Navratil
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Changed my mind after today: No I'll go with Vinci! Unbelievable result. And clay is definitly not her favorite surface... We'll probably see quite a lot from her this season. Great talent, if only she was a little bit taller.

The amazing thing is that all of these ten players were on the way south and all the sudden they are climbing up the rankings again this season!

Vinci can break into the Top 30 this year. She was as high as # 37 in 2006.

CooCooCachoo
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I voted for Benesova, who I thought was done for and not particularly motivated or passionate. Vinci is a big surprise too.

For me it's not that big a surprise that players like Zheng, Li, Sprem, Stosur and Vesnina started to play well again. It was more a question of when, rather than if they would book solid results again; I think the story is very different for the likes of Benesova and Vinci.

Jarl_02
Apr 18th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I'd say Vesnina, she is having great wins and it has surprised me a lot, I knew she could play but she is playing so good

Topspin2
Apr 18th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Vesnina Lena :)