PDA

View Full Version : US Fed Cup team: Oudin, Glatch, Huber and Mattek-Sands

bobbynorwich
Apr 16th, 2009, 05:39 AM
From TennisNews:

The USTA and U.S. Fed Cup Captain Mary Joe Fernandez announced today that Bethanie Mattek-Sands will make her Fed Cup debut for the U.S. in the 2009 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas semifinal versus the Czech Republic. She will be joined by Liezel Huber, the No. 1 doubles player in the world, Melanie Oudin and another Fed Cup rookie, Alexa Glatch, on an indoor hard court at the Starobrno Rondo Arena in Brno, Czech Republic, on April 25-26.
http://www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=27977

Why aren't Serena and Venus on the team? What is the process for determining who makes the team?

Pristine
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Serena and Venus aren't on the team because they elected not to play. I'm sure they were asked and if they were willing to play they would be in here over a mixture of rookies and journeywomen.

They, especially Serena, normally don't play Fed Cup often because of already having their preferred tournament load. It helps to cut down the wear and tear on their bodies. Unfortunately, for Serena's case she can't even play almost AT ALL without being injured. Venus has been more loyal than Serena, but has stated she regrets some of her commitment to certain ties.

Safarova and Vaidisova should be able to get through them especially indoors unless Mattek plays out of her mind which is unlikely since she is coming back from injury.

Davodus
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Serena and Venus aren't on the team because they elected not to play. I'm sure they were asked and if they were willing to play they would be in here over a mixture of rookies and journeywomen.

They, especially Serena, normally don't play Fed Cup often because of already having their preferred tournament load. It helps to cut down the wear and tear on their bodies. Unfortunately, for Serena's case she can't even play almost AT ALL without being injured. Venus has been more loyal than Serena, but has stated she regrets some of her commitment to certain ties.

Safarova and Vaidisova should be able to get through them especially indoors unless Mattek plays out of her mind which is unlikely since she is coming back from injury.

The czech team is kvitova, benesova, safarova and peschke

I would still expect them to win, no matter who of the first three play the singles

jrm
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Czechs in the final :banana:

Pristine
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Benesova and Safarova is actually BETTER than Vaidisova/Safarova considering Nicole's form. Poor US.

In The Zone
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:26 AM
The US Women can do it.

Indoors hard actually gives the girls a shot. We will need SuperBeth and Glatch/Oudin to pull off one win. Benesova is next to useless in Fed Cup play.

Czechs are definitely the favorites but Team B USA can do it.

Pristine
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Benesova is in the best form of her career.
Safarova is always up and down, but even her quality can overwhelm this team.

Привет
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Wow. Good luck...

^bibi^
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:50 AM
It's goodto see they took two young players... And without the sisters, Mattek is indeed the best choice as a leader... SHe has at least the charisma to do it :lol:

Anyway at that rythm, Huber will soon have to play singles too :haha:

mckyle.
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Shoot me!

bobbynorwich
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Yeah, I see the Czechs taking it, especially given the relative inexperience of Oudin and Glatch. I don't think Huber will play singles, that would really be odd.

^bibi^
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:55 AM
that was just a joke :lol:

Pristine
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:58 AM
that was just a joke :lol:

Not really! Huber has a greater singles career than Oudin and Glatch primarily due to them being rookies but if you roll back the clock on Huber five years, hell I'd play her in singles.

bobbynorwich
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:05 AM
We can only hope they don't let the "charismatic leader" Mattek-Sands make the choice of uniforms! http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_no.gif

What about Varvara Lepchenko (US citizen) as alternate? She's playing well, just broke into top 100.

faboozadoo15
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Let's go Beth!

^bibi^
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM
We can only hope they don't let the "charismatic leader" Mattek-Sands make the choice of uniforms!

That would be awesome :eek: :eek:

Golovinjured.
Apr 16th, 2009, 11:38 AM
LMAO.

But Beth will amaze them all, and carry the US to the final.

Sexysova
Apr 16th, 2009, 11:48 AM
where is Craybas?

pwayne
Apr 16th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Good move by MaryJo to put Alexa and Melanie on the team. Glad Melanie is being rewarded for what she did in Surprise and also, what she is doing this week. Glad Alexa is there to get some Fed Cup experience as she may be part of the team in the future. Do you think MaryJo is following PMac's Davis Cup formula?

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:06 PM
5-0 CZE :banana:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:09 PM
was a really smart move by Czechs to plays indoors fast hard courts to stop the Williams from playing ;) :hehehe:

had it been clay, one would have likely played to get some "clay practice in"

Fed Cup is alot more than "practice" as alot of players seem to think.

Sammm
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure I would have picked Bethanie, considering her form. Maybe for doubles?

Dave.
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Come on USA :banana: If it goes down to the fifth rubber, they will win. Just gotta win 2 singles matches.

~Eclipsed~
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:18 PM
where is Craybas?

Not playing well enough for selction. ;)

Number1
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:21 PM
:o wow
all hope for Beth

hellas719
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Next year we wil have a great team, even w/o WS. Granville, Harkleroad, Shaughnessy, Perry coming back:D
Glatch, Oudin, Brengle, Albanese, King, Lepchenko rising up the ranks:hearts:

Ryan
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I don't think it's a big deal if they lose this tie - putting Fed Cup rookies Glatch and Oudin in is a GREAT move for the long run of USA women's tennis. Without Venus or Serena, they don't have a ton to choose from - why not pick two of your most promising youngsters, who will hopefully play FC for years to come?

I'll say Cze 3-2 : USA wins doubles and surprises in one singles.

Lulu.
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Good luck. :unsure:

spiceboy
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Next year we wil have a great team, even w/o WS. Granville, Harkleroad, Shaughnessy, Perry coming back:D
Glatch, Oudin, Brengle, Albanese, King, Lepchenko rising up the ranks:hearts:

If that bunch of aged/average players (Albanese? Brengle? lol) is the future of US team or your next great team I honestly pity you :sobbing:

mckyle.
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Do you think MaryJo is following PMac's Davis Cup formula?

???

PMac actually gets his country's best players to play, so no.

Slutiana
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Hope Beth can find her form back. If she can then I think they can do it.

Uranium
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I am glad Venus isn't playing, for her to try to pull of this schedule: Hard(Dubai) - Clay (Acapulco) - Hard (Miami) - Clay (Charleston) - Hard(Fed Cup) - Rome (Clay)
That would be crazy and stupid.

Of course, her playing would really help us. People really shouldn't expect much from Benesova she usually gets a bit tense in Fed Cup.

pwayne
Apr 16th, 2009, 05:26 PM
???

PMac actually gets his country's best players to play, so no.

If Alexa and Melanie does be the USA's best players in a few years, what will be said then?

bobbynorwich
Apr 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM
was a really smart move by Czechs to plays indoors fast hard courts to stop the Williams from playing.

Only Huber on the American team does well on clay, surprised about the Czech's choice. Home field advantage will be huge though.

Ferosh
Apr 16th, 2009, 09:13 PM
:spit:
Is this the best they could do?
Good luck, Beth!