PDA

View Full Version : Who has the most beautiful game when on?

Ferg
Apr 15th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I was just thinking about some fantastic performances over the past few months, and how beautiful many of their games are when on. My personal favourite is Carla Suarez, I could watch her match against Venus on Youtube all the time. Ive just picked a couple out, so please dont attach me if your fav isnt on it. :kiss:

Volcana
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:00 AM
'Beautiful' - interesting word choice. Very tough. A stock car is beautiful. In it's element. But it hasn't the delicate beauty of an F1 machine. In turn, if beauty must include practicality, given me an Acura Legend.

Given all that .. Ana Ivanovic. The most effective game? No. But she looks real good doing it. And I'm not talking about sex appeal. When she's moving well, and got the finesse thing going, it's poetry in motion.

frenchie
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:01 AM
If we are judging only on esthetic then Kournikova
She had such a fluid and natural-looking game. And a great variety too

honorable mention :
Hantuchova
Radwanska
Hingis
Szavay
Schnyder

Marionated
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Patty Schnyder.

vadin124
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:03 AM
why is Virginie in the poll??

personally, i think it's Schnyder...though from the options i chose Marion! :worship:

Ferg
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:05 AM
why is Virginie in the poll??

Her match against Vera... :worship: By lord she hit so many wonderful shots, it was a fantastic match. Vera could just watch. Now if she didnt make mistakes aswell... :unsure: She mightnt be a popular choice but she does have a great game when shes on.

I guess i shoulve included Schynder but her matches this year made me forget she could play well.

Emina.
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:06 AM
amelie and justine

frenchie
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:10 AM
What is this poll???

Virginie?
Marion??
Elena???
Vika????

lol

Expat
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:10 AM
among these amelie

AcesHigh
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Amelie. I dont think Schnyder's game is appealing at all really aside from that forehand. Venus on grass looks great and Serena at 100% can be AMAZING.

Amelie has the prettiest and most complete game though.

Ferg
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:12 AM
What is this poll???

Virginie?
Marion??
Elena???
Vika????

lol

awwww :hug:

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Out of the players on that list for me when they are on and playing at the top of their games, I would say the most aesthetically pleasing games would belong to 1) Amelie Mauresmo 2) Venus Williams and 3) Vera Zvonareva. Having said that I should add all three of these girls can look pretty terrible also when they are not "on".

SV_Fan
Venus I even made a thread about. When on I think she is better than Serena.

Marshmallow
Venus is the obvious choice, hands down.

Honourable mention to Amelie, but she can't even visualise some of the shots Venus can come up with when she's on. :angel:

frenchie
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I don't like Mauresmo's game at all
ugly FH and serve, moonballs...

Out of these, maybe Vera or Jie

Marionated
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Anna C did have a beautiful game :tape:

TheFifthAvocado
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Honestly I find most players' game beautiful when they're on, but there are definitely those who have ugly games even when on. Errani, Kuznetsova, and Santangelo are hard to watch. Kuznetsova and Santangelo because of their hideous forehand grips, and Errani because of her club style play.

Ferg
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Anna C did have a beautiful game :tape:

Dont say that. Even if its true. :o

goldenlox
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Probably Navarro on clay. I agree that ACHAK has very good looking strokes when she's in rhythm

Wiggly
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Serena or Venus.

sammy01
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:21 AM
how is venus in the list :sad:

hingis was always beautiful to watch when 'on'

chaks game is so simple yet so smooth when 'on', though im biased.

jj is great to watch when moving the ball around and not missing anything, especialy on clay.

frenchie
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:22 AM
oh yeah AnnaC too

It looks like she's born to produce FH and BH

Dodoboy.
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:22 AM
'Beautiful' - interesting word choice. Very tough. A stock car is beautiful. In it's element. But it hasn't the delicate beauty of an F1 machine. In turn, if beauty must include practicality, given me an Acura Legend.

Given all that .. Ana Ivanovic. The most effective game? No. But she looks real good doing it. And I'm not talking about sex appeal. When she's moving well, and got the finesse thing going, it's poetry in motion.

First thought.

Dodoboy.
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:23 AM
The way Venus CONNECTS with the ball when she's on :speakles:

sammy01
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:24 AM
The way Venus CONNECTS with the ball when she's on :speakles:

effective yes, beautiful no.

The Daviator
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Lindsay had the most beautiful game when on.

Venus from the active lot.

woosey
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:27 AM
venus.

AcesHigh
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:28 AM
effective yes, beautiful no.

Most people and most commentators would disagree. Venus when "ON" is very beautiful. Her movement, how she glides around the court. The power, the grace.. everything seems to just CONNECT, especially on grass. That's why she's been in several of the greatest matches of the last 10 years.

When she's off, obviously it's different.

Steffica Greles
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Among the top 10? None of them.

Serena is ungainly with poor weight transference, which is a pity because she has always hit a very clean ball. Venus is a spectacle in terms of power and athleticism, but I'd not ever call her tennis beautiful.

Amelie, I suppose. But she's on borrowed time.

Renalicious
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I would say Hantuchova. :) She's just so rhythmic and flowing in her strokes.

I love the way Jankovic plays too, when she's on, her inside out back is lovely.

Another favorite is Su-Wei Hsieh. She just plays like no other and it's stunning to watch.

sammy01
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:30 AM
what do people see in venus's game i just don't get it?

i think her backhand set up looks odd, her forehand has so much elbow in it, 2nd serve can look bad and her head pulls down dragging it into the net. even when she moves shes all arms and legs flaring about. by all means shes a great player but she never to me makes the game look attractive, serena does that much better.

woosey
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:36 AM

i think her backhand set up looks odd, her forehand has so much elbow in it, 2nd serve can look bad and her head pulls down dragging it into the net. even when she moves shes all arms and legs flaring about. by all means shes a great player but she never to me makes the game look attractive, serena does that much better.

i can't speak for everyone...

i find that when an athlete is playing at the top of her/his sport, it is beautiful. v in particular - her strokes can be devastating. her speed and quickness to the ball awesome.

her game just looks fantastic when she is striking the ball and moving well and is very sure of herself like when she's at wimbledon.

sometimes, my mouth hangs open.

beauty is not just about a perfectly smooth stroke production, etc.

ultimately though, it's in the eye of the beholder.

Uranium
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Most people and most commentators would disagree. Venus when "ON" is very beautiful. Her movement, how she glides around the court. The power, the grace.. everything seems to just CONNECT, especially on grass. That's why she's been in several of the greatest matches of the last 10 years.

:hearts:

DragonFlame
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Justine all the way, her game is just pure delight to the eyes. There's a reason why her fanclub had the saying: poetry in motion. It was just perfect in my eyes. The perfect balance of power, speed and beauty. Besides that, majorly effective.:hearts:

Slutiana
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:41 AM

Well I find chak's strokes ugly as hell, its just personal opinion I guess and AcesHigh summed up my thoughts on venus when on.

But I cant believe she hasnt been mentioned at all. TATIANA GOLOVIN.

There's no way that any human being can sit here and tell me that this isn't poetry in motion.
6nS_p5QW9Yg
All of her strokes are so smoooth fucking attractive, one of the smartest players and reads the game so well, has so much variety yet can go blow for blow with just about every player.

COME BACK TATI. :sobbing: :crying2:

Uranium
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQzNhvaoNAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NUB_AtFlbY

I can watch these 2 highlight reels all day:inlove:

LudwigDvorak
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:10 AM
People will mostly only remember Elena from the past couple of years, and while her strokes aren't as clean, precise, or well-directed as they used to be, they definitely were some of the most beautiful groundstrokes I've seen from her generation.

I would vote for her, but even her best, most fearsomely attractive tennis, that backhand is/was too often a floater up the middle of the court, primarily due to her footwork.

Strange grips or not, when she was in full flow, :hearts:. Myskina, Zvonareva, Hingis, and Schnyder are the most notable ones to me. Serena in her prime as well--even if she herself doesn't look great hitting the shots, just so many winners. :lol:

Slutiana
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:10 AM
OMG thank you uranus.... been looking for the Henin one for agggggeeeessss.

bobbynorwich
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:14 AM
If put Maria in the poll, she'd be at the top.

Keadz
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I would say
Another favorite is Su-Wei Hsieh. She just plays like no other and it's stunning to watch.

Agree, her game is beautiful and extremely fun to watch. I wish she would play more though :o She should be in the top 50.

I would say Patty because she is :hearts:

Dani and Chak have similar style of games and they are 'beautiful' when they are working as well.

Mauresmo, Carla S.V, Wejnert(:worship:), Bremond, Pennetta, Jankovic also.

Optima
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I may be biased in some shape or way, but I could watch Jelena play all day, when she's not missing and being agressive. It's so fluid to watch.

Overall though, Hantuchova.

Apoleb
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Ana Ivanovic.

:spit:

:spit: @ Venus too. Even when she's "on", she'll make a ton of UE. But she does look great on grass.

Amelie and CSN among those, with Serena a very close second. Her serve is by far the most beautiful serve stroke on the tour. And when her "shock and awe" game (stolen from Corswandt) is fully on (i.e AO 07 final), it's power tennis at its prettiest.

Nikkiri
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Kirilenko :inlove:

Derek.
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Hantuchova. :drool:

Great placement on her first serve, smooth groundstrokes and ball-striking.

Plus she can come to net or win a point with one of her infamous drop shots.

pwayne
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Serena : All you need to see is 2007 Australian Open.

AcesHigh
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:32 AM

:spit: @ Venus too. Even when she's "on", she'll make a ton of UE. But she does look great on grass.

Amelie and CSN among those, with Serena a very close second. Her serve is by far the most beautiful serve stroke on the tour. And when her "shock and awe" game (stolen from Corswandt) is fully on (i.e AO 07 final), it's power tennis at its prettiest.

When is a "ton" of UE? :confused: And it's who has the most beautiful game, not who has the cleanest game. Venus is athleticism at its finest when she's "on". No one comes close on tour and no one since Steffi has displayed the same speed, power and agility.

Whether that's beautiful or not is totally subjective.

Apoleb
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:34 AM
When is a "ton" of UE? :confused: And it's who has the most beautiful game, not who has the cleanest game. Venus is athleticism at its finest when she's "on". No one comes close on tour and no one since Steffi has displayed the same speed, power and agility.

Whether that's beautiful or not is totally subjective.

Yes, she scores points for athleticism but I cannot rule out shotmaking when you have "aesthetic" and "tennis" in the same sentence.

Lulu.
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:34 AM
When Serena is on, it's power tennis at it's best.

The Daviator
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:35 AM

It's 'when on', Ana's game is great to watch, check out the last 3 minutes of this clip.

Fw1mqPGSl1k

Craig.
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:38 AM
It's 'when on', Ana's game is great to watch, check out the last 3 minutes of this clip.

Fw1mqPGSl1k

Nice try :hug:

Apoleb
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:39 AM

Fw1mqPGSl1k

When Ana's "on", her baseball strokes are working, and she'd be bashing forehands left, right and center. It's impressive, but it's not exactly "pretty" for me.

LudwigDvorak
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:39 AM
How did I forget Davenport and Hantuchova, two of my top four/five favorites? :confused:

Add them, definitely.

Hayato
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Dementieva. When her groundstrokes are on fire and just painting the lines, shot after shot, she really can dictate anyone from the back of the court. Beautiful to watch!

And of course, Mauresmo. Her serve and volley, technique, it's very special to watch when it's working.

DimaDinosaur
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Amelie has the hottest game. The french knows flair!

So Disrespectful
Apr 16th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Safarova, Hantuchova and Chakvetadze.

Volcana
Apr 16th, 2009, 02:18 AM
Ask yourself, in looking at your own answer to this thread.

If Marion Bartoli played the exact same way as the player you say has a 'beautiful' game played, or better Alexandra Stevenson, would you give the same answer?

'Beautiful' leaves a lot of room for interpretation. But we ARE discussing the game, not the player. I find Gisela Dulko beautiful. Her game .... not so much. Mauresmo's game is gorgeous to watch. When she can find an advantage. Put her against a veteran player who can run fast and hit hard.

Not so pretty anymore.

What's 'beautiful'?

'Mona Lisa' beautiful? Honestly, Anna Kournikova might be the 'beautiful' player since Evonne Goolagong. Like Goolagong, everything she did was fluid.

'Oh my God I just had an orgasm that shot was fucking incredible' beautiful? Serena Williams, and ain't nobody second. They're all competing for 3rd place.

Dominic
Apr 16th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Serena Williams does not have a beautiful anything except serve.

Volcana
Apr 16th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Serena Williams does not have a beautiful anything except serve.Your opinion.

Yet there are very few things in tennis more beatiful than Serena hitting a forehand winner.

My opiniion.

AcesHigh
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Yes, she scores points for athleticism but I cannot rule out shotmaking when you have "aesthetic" and "tennis" in the same sentence.

True, but at her best Venus is actually a great "tennis player". Her backhand is technically sound and a thing of beauty, her forehand although unconventional can possess the accuracy and angles of all the other greats of this era and her ability to move forward and volley is pretty good. Her returns are great and her serving in its sheer power is a thing of beauty.

That being said, these stretches and streaks never last an entire match but when they occur, I think they are very beautiful. Ultimately, it's a matter of opinion but I think it's so easy to overlook Venus's great "tennis" ability b/c of her many horrible patches in the last few years.

spencercarlos
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Among the top 10? None of them.

Serena is ungainly with poor weight transference, which is a pity because she has always hit a very clean ball. Venus is a spectacle in terms of power and athleticism, but I'd not ever call her tennis beautiful.

Amelie, I suppose. But she's on borrowed time.
Neither can be called fluid. I agree with this post of you for once :lol:

spencercarlos
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Ask yourself, in looking at your own answer to this thread.

If Marion Bartoli played the exact same way as the player you say has a 'beautiful' game played, or better Alexandra Stevenson, would you give the same answer?

'Beautiful' leaves a lot of room for interpretation. But we ARE discussing the game, not the player. I find Gisela Dulko beautiful. Her game .... not so much. Mauresmo's game is gorgeous to watch. When she can find an advantage. Put her against a veteran player who can run fast and hit hard.

Not so pretty anymore.

What's 'beautiful'?

'Mona Lisa' beautiful? Honestly, Anna Kournikova might be the 'beautiful' player since Evonne Goolagong. Like Goolagong, everything she did was fluid.

'Oh my God I just had an orgasm that shot was fucking incredible' beautiful? Serena Williams, and ain't nobody second. They're all competing for 3rd place.
Amelie or Henin are not exactly beautiful women, and their games are the most beatufil thing that womens tennis has seen recently.

Hingis a beautiful woman, who plays a beautiful game.

Sharapova a beautiful woman, whose game is not beautiful at all. Sorry its not about good looking women at all.

starin
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Venus in full flight is quite amazing.

Serena doesn't really play "beautiful" tennis at her best, it's brutal and succinct but there is something amazing about watching her bludgeon her opponents off the court.

mboyle
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Hingis was soooo pretty to watch way back in the day. More recently, I enjoyed watching Henin, Mauresmo to a lesser extent, and Ivanovic, as Volcana mentioned.

spencercarlos
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:29 AM

Most of the deluded Venus fans you disagree i am sure. Sorry but most commentators never talk about Venus and her tennis being beautiful-graceful-smooth or enjoyable to watch, that´s you and your deluded peers. Sorry

LoveFifteen
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Mauresmo's volleys and backhand are beautiful. Her moonball forehand is not.

Apoleb
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Navratilova, on my part, has to qualify for the most beautiful game ever. At least among those that I've seen. I will not say the conventional "poetry in motion" but "fluid in motion." :cool:

AcesHigh
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Most of the deluded Venus fans you disagree i am sure. Sorry but most commentators never talk about Venus and her tennis being beautiful-graceful-smooth or enjoyable to watch, that´s you and your deluded peers. Sorry

J-Mac and Mary Carillo have talked about it many a time, mostly at Wimbledon, yes, but I've heard it from them multiple times.

Roookie
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Amelie hands down. :bounce:

Pasta-Na
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:56 AM
jie zheng. :p

Dominic
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Your opinion.

Yet there are very few things in tennis more beatiful than Serena hitting a forehand winner.

My opiniion.

OMG you've learnt how to express yourself! congrats honey!

spencercarlos
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:01 AM
J-Mac and Mary Carillo have talked about it many a time, mostly at Wimbledon, yes, but I've heard it from them multiple times.
Sure i know, when players (Venus and oponnent) are warming up and talking and analizing games and strategies i am sure those words "beautiful-graceful-smooth or enjoyable to watch" come and go when refeering to Venus, and not "powerful, athleticism, serve ,speed, reach" and so on. :lol:

Midnight_Robber
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:12 AM
I'm with AcesHigh. Definitely Venus. I don't think athleticism and beauty, or power and beauty are mutually exclusive qualities. When she's on - heaven for my eyes. When she's off, yep - she's a trainwreck.

Hantuchova's game is elegant, and Lindsay's strokes were searing and attractive, even if her movement wasn't. Love watching Zheng Jie's game as well. When she's in a rhythm Jankovic's game is good-looking.

Anyway, it's really weird coming into a thread where select posters take it upon themselves to 'correct' or dismiss other peoples subjective opinions on players. :rolleyes:

pepaw
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:15 AM
i think sharapova's game is the most beautiful, thats why she's my favourite.

very subjective question as my idea of beauty isnt slicing and volleys, its more like power and precision/return winners/aces

Effy
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Vera Zvonareva.

Daniela-Is-Mine
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:19 AM
The two people with the cleanest prettiest and best groundstrokes (when on) are Lindsay Davenport and Daniela Hantuchova.

Daniela's serve when its on is perfectly placed nd quite powerful. She movement is the only issue in the beauty of her game. But the way they both hit the ball>... it is just clean perfection:drool:

Pristine
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Active players if we're talking really ON.

Serena, Chakvetadze (trying to be objective here), Zvonareva, Dokic.

Personally though, I think Bartoli's game is beautiful when on as well.

skanky~skanketta
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Honestly, I would say that it would be a player I've always cheered against. Lindsay Davenport. Lindsay even when on may have lacked the movement, but her game was so simplistic, it was beautiful. Serve, Forehand, Backhand, Volley. So damn clean! It never looked like she was putting in much effort. Too bad I just couldn't stand her.

Dinara Safina also reminds me of Lindsay, but I've never seen her play a match where she keeps the errors low.

LDVTennis
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:32 AM

I'm sure if you've heard it multiple times there must be a youtube clip out there with a comment to that effect.

So, let's see it!

skanky~skanketta
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:44 AM
I used to like watching Dechy play as well.

Dominic
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:47 AM
I used to like watching Dechy play as well.

She has a pretty weird looking forehand.

WowWow
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Amelie by far!

moby
Apr 16th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Goolagong. I base this on the couple of clips I've seen. She epitomises gliding on court.

I found Graf's game beautiful too, but I'm sure many will disagree because her forehand looks awkward. But the slice and the movement!

Venus when on. Henin when aggressive. Hingis when brash. Serena's serve. Davenport's groundstrokes.

Amelie's forehand excludes her from this discussion.

No one from the new generation.

And no to Elena. Every one of her shots look awkward. With the possible exception of her forehand.

kiwifan
Apr 16th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I figure Momo should win the poll (pretty backhand, nice all court game when she's playing a scrub); but there is nothing like watching Serena completely dominate the best players in the world.

The serve, the second serve, that return of second serve (shallow, cross court is the most beautiful shot ever)...there's nothing like it.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Apr 16th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Nothing more beautiful than the Melbourne Massacre in 2007 :worship:

donniedarkofan
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:07 AM

:worship::worship::worship:

Pristine
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Goolagong. I base this on the couple of clips I've seen. She epitomises gliding on court.

I found Graf's game beautiful too, but I'm sure many will disagree because her forehand looks awkward. But the slice and the movement!

Venus when on. Henin when aggressive. Hingis when brash. Serena's serve. Davenport's groundstrokes.

Amelie's forehand excludes her from this discussion.

No one from the new generation.

And no to Elena. Every one of her shots look awkward. With the possible exception of her forehand.

Everyone of Venus' shots look awkward too and they're all technically flawed, but people seem to keep mentioning her. So if that's your only reason, you're screaming hypocrisy.

Keadz
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:09 AM
There was nothing 'beautiful' about what Serena did at the Australian Open in 2007, that was scary and explosive tennis....nothing close to beautiful.

Serenita
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Serena AO 07...everything was perfect.hhmmmmm

as1991
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:39 AM
serena for sure

and.....i think sania's forehand is just beautiful to watch!

Andy.
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Personally I love nothing more than watching a good display of brutal power hitting. Thats what I find beautiful, variety and suttlety bores me. At their best I love wathcing the games of Venuns Williams, Maria Sharapova, Mary Pierce and Lindsay Davenport.

Navratil
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Who is Virginie?

You can't be serious if you mean Razzano. She seems to be very nice girl and has got a great attitude on court but her game looks very strange... (to put it in a positive way). ;-)

Natalicious
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:03 AM
amelie :hearts:

too bad it's not that often on lately :o

Navratil
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:04 AM
No doubt about it: Nobody plays as beautiful as Amelie these days!

(at least since Lindsay, Martina Navratilova and Steffi retired)

faboozadoo15
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Jankovic, Szavay, Patty, Mauresmo, CSN, Chaky.

Forgot Hantuchova.

In all, I think that players with good footwork and technique who do not muscle the ball are the most pleasing to watch when they play their best.

It's funny that Seles and Sharapova are my favorite players. Guess I prefer screaming or angled winners to more simplistic technique.

Mackep83
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:52 AM
LOL, what a pathetic ugly list. Venus and Serena? LOL, nothing in their game is beautiful.

My list:

1. Henin
2. Hingis
3. Jankovic
4. Mauresmo
5. Martinez

CORIA01
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:59 AM
hingis
pierce

Lunaris
Apr 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Daniela :hearts:, her game is elegant and ladylike, unlike "muscle & scream" game of many others.
I also enjoy Makarova on those rare occassions when she is playing well, her strokes are almost perfect. Jankovic if we disregard her fh could be interesting to watch. Mauresmo's game can look good at times, but again her fh is atrocious. Szavay and Dokic when on both hit a nice ball. And Henin and Hingis if we include retired players, two of the best ever.

galadriel
Apr 16th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Amelie :D

So Disrespectful
Apr 16th, 2009, 09:41 AM
The two people with the cleanest prettiest and best groundstrokes (when on) are Lindsay Davenport and Daniela Hantuchova.

Daniela's serve when its on is perfectly placed nd quite powerful. She movement is the only issue in the beauty of her game. But the way they both hit the ball>... it is just clean perfection:drool:

I still think she moves gracefully though, despite being slow.

Slutiana
Apr 16th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Everyone's forgotten who Tatiana Golovin is. :tears:

Matt01
Apr 16th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Personally I love nothing more than watching a good display of brutal power hitting. Thats what I find beautiful, variety and suttlety bores me. At their best I love wathcing the games of Venuns Williams, Maria Sharapova, Mary Pierce and Lindsay Davenport.

Amelie or Henin are not exactly beautiful women, and their games are the most beatufil thing that womens tennis has seen recently.

Hingis a beautiful woman, who plays a beautiful game.

Sharapova a beautiful woman, whose game is not beautiful at all. Sorry its not about good looking women at all.

Exactly.

The Dawntreader
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM
When Venus connects with her game, it's just masterful:drool:

The way she just leaps across the court and those drive volleys:worship: Just beautiful to me.

Lindsay's groundstrokes were a beauty to watch too. The cleanest strike imaginable.

MaBaker
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Jelena.

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Hingis. Davenport. Mauresmo on grass. Serena at 2007 Oz final.

Brena
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Well, JJ of course. :)
But, out of the mentioned players: Vera and Jie.

Danči Dementia
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I voted fors Elena.

but when Daniela is on, her game is so great to watch :worship: :hearts:

bandabou
Apr 16th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Serena's serve is the most beautiful shot currently in tennis. It's just perfect..And when she's returning 2nd serves for winners.

bandabou
Apr 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM
LDV in this thread? Odd..Graf isn't even on the poll. Or..no, never mind. ;)

Andy.
Apr 16th, 2009, 11:11 AM

Exactly.
Its a matter of personal choice, there are no right or wrong answers.

Drimal
Apr 16th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I like Elena's game the best and then Amélie's (especially on grass :drool:).

How can Serena with her unesthetic power game get so many votes. I also don't get what people see in Marion's game - it's just painful to watch starting from that serve motion to oncourt movement. :spit:

Patty Schnyder should be on the list instead of those two. ;)

Dodoboy.
Apr 16th, 2009, 11:53 AM

You are focusing too much on when she's off! Venus's serve when she's on,

Venus has ruined it for herself i guess with some terrible matches in the last few years - people seem to be stuck on them and forget her good matches.

Hell even lately she has connected with the ball amazingly (Acupulco Final, Dubai R2)

This word 'beautiful' is just :rolleyes:

I am glad ppl are saying JJ, she really is a pleasure to watch when she is being aggressive.

If we were talking about the most 'effective' game when on, it would be less subjective :lol:

Mashabator
Apr 16th, 2009, 11:55 AM
wheres maria?

Anabelcroft
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:02 PM
For Elena...hard hitting winners!

Anabelcroft
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:02 PM
For Elena...hard hitting winners!

and flat!

frenchie
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Elena's game looks very un-natural to me
Her ground strokes are manufactured and she forces a lot

Same for Sharapova

sammy01
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:30 PM
You are focusing too much on when she's off! Venus's serve when she's on,

Venus has ruined it for herself i guess with some terrible matches in the last few years - people seem to be stuck on them and forget her good matches.

Hell even lately she has connected with the ball amazingly (Acupulco Final, Dubai R2)

This word 'beautiful' is just :rolleyes:

I am glad ppl are saying JJ, she really is a pleasure to watch when she is being aggressive.

If we were talking about the most 'effective' game when on, it would be less subjective :lol:

but i think people have confussed the 2 in this thread, if someone asks me which players plays 'beautiful' tennis, its the one with perfect technique, that dosen't need to muscle the ball, that hits the sweet spot on the racket and can make it look easy and fluid.

venus can flash winners all over, but she has to muscle the ball, it never looks fluid or smooth and she looks like shes having to put great effort in. i maintain even in venus's best match her tennis is by no means beautiful. as for the serve when comparing venus's to serenas you cant tell me venus serve looks nicer than serena because a trip to specs savers is needed if you do lol

tiptop
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Haven't read the whole thread but for me it's Sveta.

frenchie
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:35 PM
^^

I agree with Sammy here
I like Venus but her strokes are not particularely good-looking except her BH maybe

on the other hand her movement is very graceful especially on grass

Matt01
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Its a matter of personal choice, there are no right or wrong answers.

Never said that anything about right or wrong. If you prefer ballbashing, like Maria or Venus do it, it's your choice. A very odd choice I might add, though.

Personally, I think that Maria's game is the ugliest in the Top 50 or so...Venus comes quite close, though. :worship:

moby
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Everyone of Venus' shots look awkward too and they're all technically flawed, but people seem to keep mentioning her. So if that's your only reason, you're screaming hypocrisy.Technically flawed doesn't come into the equation. You can be technically flawed and still have a good-looking game. Venus's shots look awkward when she's struggling with her timing. However, when she's on, she flows. In her heyday at the Wimbledon 01 final, she did slam dunk styled smashes. That combination of physique and pure athletcism is probably unmatched on tour, and counts for something.

The difference is, when on, Venus plays the ball. With Elena, it always seems like the ball is playing her, on or otherwise.

Dodoboy.
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:57 PM
but i think people have confussed the 2 in this thread, if someone asks me which players plays 'beautiful' tennis, its the one with perfect technique, that dosen't need to muscle the ball, that hits the sweet spot on the racket and can make it look easy and fluid.

venus can flash winners all over, but she has to muscle the ball, it never looks fluid or smooth and she looks like shes having to put great effort in. i maintain even in venus's best match her tennis is by no means beautiful. as for the serve when comparing venus's to serenas you cant tell me venus serve looks nicer than serena because a trip to specs savers is needed if you do lol

:confused::confused:

As opposed to ......? Who can hit hard as her when she's on and make it look effortless?

Noone said Vee's serve looked better than Serena's.

Pristine
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Technically flawed doesn't come into the equation. You can be technically flawed and still have a good-looking game. Venus's shots look awkward when she's struggling with her timing. However, when she's on, she flows. In her heyday at the Wimbledon 01 final, she did slam dunk styled smashes. That combination of physique and pure athletcism is probably unmatched on tour, and counts for something.

The difference is, when on, Venus plays the ball. With Elena, it always seems like the ball is playing her, on or otherwise.

I don't know why Elena was brought into this. I never said Elena had a beautiful game, but Venus certainly does not even when on.

sammy01
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:15 PM
:confused::confused:

As opposed to ......? Who can hit hard as her when she's on and make it look effortless?

Noone said Vee's serve looked better than Serena's.

dani, davenport are 2, they hit such clean strokes they have no need to muscle the ball.

as for the serve i was just pointing out all the people gushing about how 'beautiful' her game is, there are still very ugly parts, such as the serve when compared to other serves you can see it looks a bit of a mess.

Dave.
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:16 PM
People need to remember this thread is purely subjective. Everyone is going to have a different opinion, there is no right or wrong.

Obviously for me Davenport is the most beautiful to watch. There is not a poorly hit or ugly shot in her game. The clean strike is just incredible to watch.

From the poll I say Marion, when on, especially on grass. Her matches from Wimbledon 07 were delightful to watch. I love her flat, low hitting that barely missed when she was on.

I like watching Vika anytime, her backhand and serve are lovely. Vika is very consistent now, so she normally produces good tennis all the time. Yes she has some good days and bad days, but her game doesn't change that much, sort of like Davenport.

I don't really find Venus' game all that beautiful to watch but on grass I could watch her all day long, such graceful movement. I don't find Elena's game that beautiful to watch but I love the outcome and can appreciate what she's doing on the court, which is why I root for her. Ana's is lovely to watch when on but haven't seen too much of that recently. :sad:

sammy01
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM
btw that might be the 1st ever time on this forum i complemented dani, whats happening to me lol

Dodoboy.
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Thankfully tennis is not a beauty contest :yeah:

Craig.
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Never said that anything about right or wrong. If you prefer ballbashing, like Maria or Venus do it, it's your choice. A very odd choice I might add, though.

Personally, I think that Maria's game is the ugliest in the Top 50 or so...Venus comes quite close, though. :worship:

You're such a fucking hypocrite :haha: You go on and on about how ugly Maria and Venus' games are when one of your favorite players (Safina, if you didn't catch the drift) stinks up the joint everytime she steps on the court.

Slutiana
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:30 PM
:sad: Tati's game isnt ugly.

sammy01
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:35 PM
:sad: Tati's game isnt ugly.

:hug: at least we wont have to suffer ever seeing it again :tape:

Uranium
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:47 PM

Venus isn't last in matt01's list:bigclap:

Albireo
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Judith Wiesner.

frenchie
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Benesova strikes me as a huge talent with a beautiful game too

moby
Apr 16th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I don't know why Elena was brought into this. I never said Elena had a beautiful game, but Venus certainly does not even when on.You said I was practising hypocrisy when I said Elena had an awkward game (which by the way, was a response to her being an option on the poll, and garnering some support amongst posters), but that Venus did not on occasion.

So naturally, I had to discuss what I felt were different about their games. And to make a comparison, I had to talk about both Venus and Elena. This is why Elena was brought into conversation.

sammy01
Apr 16th, 2009, 02:41 PM
i wouldn't say lena d's game is beautiful, her movement is so strong and she has the best footwork on tour, but her actual strokes aren't very pretty.

Apoleb
Apr 16th, 2009, 02:43 PM
There's nothing pretty about Dementieva's game. Even the wall that I bounce balls against has a prettier game.

Pristine
Apr 16th, 2009, 02:58 PM
People need to remember this thread is purely subjective. Everyone is going to have a different opinion, there is no right or wrong.

Obviously for me Davenport is the most beautiful to watch. There is not a poorly hit or ugly shot in her game. The clean strike is just incredible to watch.

From the poll I say Marion, when on, especially on grass. Her matches from Wimbledon 07 were delightful to watch. I love her flat, low hitting that barely missed when she was on.

I like watching Vika anytime, her backhand and serve are lovely. Vika is very consistent now, so she normally produces good tennis all the time. Yes she has some good days and bad days, but her game doesn't change that much, sort of like Davenport.

I don't really find Venus' game all that beautiful to watch but on grass I could watch her all day long, such graceful movement. I don't find Elena's game that beautiful to watch but I love the outcome and can appreciate what she's doing on the court, which is why I root for her. Ana's is lovely to watch when on but haven't seen too much of that recently. :sad:

Azarenka's serve that barely get over 100 MPH and gets spun in 50% of the time?

Mynarco
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I just love Radwanska's playing, so graceful :hearts:

mauresmofan
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Of course I'm going to say Amélie but that's not because I'm biased, it's simply because when she's playing well all her shots just flow from her racket and she has such great variety and athletisism in her game it's just such a beautiful sight when she's playing well and I hope we get to see it at Wimbledon again this year because that's where her game comes into its own.

Number1
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:13 PM
among active players?

anyway i have always enjoyed Martina's and Vera Zvonareva's game.

Dave.
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Azarenka's serve that barely get over 100 MPH and gets spun in 50% of the time?

It's a good looking shot and usually effective.

Matt01
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:45 PM
You're such a fucking hypocrite :haha: You go on and on about how ugly Maria and Venus' games are when one of your favorite players (Safina, if you didn't catch the drift) stinks up the joint everytime she steps on the court.

No, I'm not a hypocrite.
Yes, I like Safina but I'm not saying that her game is always beautiful to watch, because recently it isn't. It's still much more easy to my eyes than Pova's. I think I can have that opinion without being hypocrite. :rolleyes:

Venus isn't last in matt01's list:bigclap:

:lol:

Centro
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
:hug: at least we wont have to suffer ever seeing it again .

The Dawntreader
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM
It's a good looking shot and usually effective.

Yeah i like her action too. Has a good spring-board effect with her shoulders.

miffedmax
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM

Lena D. and Vee both remind me of those F1 turbos of the early '80s...beautiful when on, but there's always the knowledge that that massively oversized turbo could blow at any moment and it'll all go to hell in a handbag.

Having said that, I do think the most beautiful individual shot is Lena's full-body rotation screaming forehand of death. Yes, that, even more than the bangs, it what made me fall in love with her.

Tied for second would be Lena and Vee's on-the-run forehand.

If she were still playing, I'd make a case for good ol' Nasty. There was something about her game that was very graceful, even though she hit a lot of off-pace junk.

Prettiest all around? Nothing's prettier than winning. Rena gets it.

The Dawntreader
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Lena D. and Vee both remind me of those F1 turbos of the early '80s...beautiful when on, but there's always the knowledge that that massively oversized turbo could blow at any moment and it'll all go to hell in a handbag.

Having said that, I do think the most beautiful individual shot is Lena's full-body rotation screaming forehand of death. Yes, that, even more than the bangs, it what made me fall in love with her.

Tied for second would be Lena and Vee's on-the-run forehand.

If she were still playing, I'd make a case for good ol' Nasty. There was something about her game that was very graceful, even though she hit a lot of off-pace junk.

Prettiest all around? Nothing's prettier than winning. Rena gets it.

Even more than the bangs. You sell-out!:sad:

miffedmax
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Even more than the bangs. You sell-out!:sad:

That was just hyperbole to make a point. ;)

The Dawntreader
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:01 PM
That was just hyperbole to make a point. ;)

Thank god! I was fearing a loss of commitment to the bangs:lol:

MyskinaManiac
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:07 PM

:lol::lol:

It's funny coz it's true.

Most elements of Nastya's game, similar to Hingis just looked beautiful. Although ineffective, it was just pleasing to the eye. Both had beautiful looking service motions... more so Nastya.

Very different from the heap of turd that both Mauresmo or Conchita Martinez call a "service motion".

LDVTennis
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Serena's serve is the most beautiful shot currently in tennis. It's just perfect..And when she's returning 2nd serves for winners.

That's your opinion. And, I don't deny that tennis commentators like Tracy Austin, among others, have said she has a very effective serve. There's even an article over on tennisplayer.net, which points out some of the qualities of Serena's serve from a technical standpoint.

But, beautiful? You must have quite an odd notion of beauty. Just look at some of the photographs taken of Serena's serve.

Here are a few:

http://tennis.about.com/od/playersfemale/ss/serenaphotosbs_6.htm

http://z.about.com/d/tennis/1/5/a/E/serena-williams08.jpg

http://tennis.about.com/od/playersfemale/ss/serenaphotosbs_7.htm

Then there are the ones in this photo gallery from the AO Open site. Look in particular at photo 28. And just for curiosity sake, look at photo 49 (an overhead).

Technically, it's a great motion, but Serena's proportions are such that nothing she does is going to have a dancer-like quality to it. In that first picture, no matter how elegant her arms are positioned, the size of her butt makes the classic pose seem quite heavy. In the second picture, you see how Serena looks in the air. Again, there is no lightness to the movement in the air. There may be extension, but just look at what is being extended. Instead, the picture serves to highlight just how big Serena is. In the final picture, I actually think Serena looks quite good. But, this is usually Serena's best side. Side profile pictures hide her girth. I've shown you the serve from the front. She's not as thin as she appears in this picture. The final two photos confirm the points I'm trying to make. There are probably more just like this at Gettyimages.

For the record, sports photographers get paid to take beautiful pictures. With some players, that's quite easy. See Federer, Graf, Sampras, etc. With other players, no matter how hard they try, they can't really come up with something really beautiful because the beauty just isn't there.

(You asked for it.)

Stamp Paid
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Beauty is so subjective, its retarded to even argue the point. Definitions of beauty are purely cultural, and all equally valid.
Angelina was just voted most beautiful woman in the world recently, but Im sure at least half of the world would disagree.
I would say Venus because of her athleticism and proportions, but even when shes on shes making 50 winners/50 errors. And all of her shots are ugly.
Serena looks so awful out there these days sometimes, lol. Lumbering around the court, falling, slipping, squash shots :o I still love her the most though.
Ivanovic, I guess, when shes on. Everything looks graceful and effortless and her footwork is a beauty to watch.

capt321
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Flavia Pennetta and Vera Zvonareva

Dave B
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Beauty? I guess Amelie has a beautiful game. Frankly, tennis is a sport, and I tune in to watch two players grind it out and find any way to win. You want beauty? Go to an art museum.

sammy01
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Beauty? I guess Amelie has a beautiful game. Frankly, tennis is a sport, and I tune in to watch two players grind it out and find any way to win. You want beauty? Go to an art museum.

i think the point is judging beauty in its own field i.e tennis, than beauty compared with everything else.

who for you makes grinding out that win more pleasing to watch than other players, who does it with flare, good technique ect.

serenus_2k8
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I can definitely see why so many have chosen Amelie, but her game is such a shadow of its former self I found it hard to vote for her...

I think when Vee is on, serving big, hitting the ball deep, gliding round the court and hitting crisp, clean volleys, its quite the specatcle. Same could be said for Ree, im not sure who I prefer looks wise.

Apoleb
Apr 16th, 2009, 05:58 PM

And there isn't beauty in sport? Have you seen a profile shot of Federer's forehand? I'd take that over many museum paintings.

miffedmax
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:15 PM
And there isn't beauty in sport? Have you seen a profile shot of Federer's forehand? I'd take that over many museum paintings.

And what painting, what poem, what statue, what symphony can even begin to compare to the simple, divine perfection of Dementieva's bangs?

Ryan
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Beauty's a bad word, since everyone thinks their favorite probably plays the most beautiful type of game. :shrug:

Hingis wins hands down to me...the way she swings her racket, the way her body moves getting ready for a shot, the smooth impact on everything...not to mention the type of game she plays. It's like eating dessert you never get full on. :drool:

Slutiana
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:32 PM
That's your opinion. And, I don't deny that tennis commentators like Tracy Austin, among others, have said she has a very effective serve. There's even an article over on tennisplayer.net, which points out some of the qualities of Serena's serve from a technical standpoint.

But, beautiful? You must have quite an odd notion of beauty. Just look at some of the photographs taken of Serena's serve.

Here are a few:

Then there are the ones in this photo gallery from the AO Open site. Look in particular at photo 28. And just for curiosity sake, look at photo 49 (an overhead).

Technically, it's a great motion, but Serena's proportions are such that nothing she does is going to have a dancer-like quality to it. In that first picture, no matter how elegant her arms are positioned, the size of her butt makes the classic pose seem quite heavy. In the second picture, you see how Serena looks in the air. Again, there is no lightness to the movement in the air. There may be extension, but just look at what is being extended. Instead, the picture serves to highlight just how big Serena is. In the final picture, I actually think Serena looks quite good. But, this is usually Serena's best side. Side profile pictures hide her girth. I've shown you the serve from the front. She's not as thin as she appears in this picture. The final two photos confirm the points I'm trying to make. There are probably more just like this at Gettyimages.

For the record, sports photographers get paid to take beautiful pictures. With some players, that's quite easy. See Federer, Graf, Sampras, etc. With other players, no matter how hard they try, they can't really come up with something really beautiful because the beauty just isn't there.

(You asked for it.)
Well done for picking out pics of obeserena and dissing her body. :bigclap:

But we're not talking about their bodyparts anyway, so no.

miffedmax
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Beauty's a bad word, since everyone thinks their favorite probably plays the most beautiful type of game. :shrug:

Not me. She can grow back her bangs, win 10 slams in a row, negotiate a lasting peace settlement in the Middle East, find a cure for AIDs, jump start the world economy, bear my children and pose for the next SI Swimsuit issue, but as long as there are second serves, not even I can claim my favorite has the most "beautiful" game.

tea
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM
From the list provided: Amelie by far. Also Carla.
I'd name Patty Schnyder as the most 'beautiful' gamestyle holder, when she's ON of course.
Yes, beautiful -- is very subjective term.

Balltossovic
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:40 PM
From your list I chose Amelie Especially that serve and Volley plus that backhand:drool:

But in my opinion Ana has the most "Beautiful" Game when she's "On". Especially when she runs around the BH and goes after her FH the second point of her match against Wozniaki at AO 2008 illustrates that perfectly.:)

jfk
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:49 PM
From the past few years, Ana and Justine are head and shoulders above the rest.

jjcrew#1
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Jelena game is great when on! on clay she is just awesome! i love how your poll doesnt have her in there

Malva
Apr 16th, 2009, 09:18 PM
What is this poll???

Virginie?
Marion??
Elena???
Vika????

lol

That's right...

wally1
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Sev Bremond which I think is a good call. Beautiful, classical player to watch when playing well. In the first round of Wimby last year I remember her hitting a backhand down the line passing shot which was just gorgeous to see. I've also always enjoyed watching Roby Vinci when she's in form.

Of all time the answer to the question is Evonne Goolagong.

bandabou
Apr 17th, 2009, 02:23 PM

Here are a few:

(You asked for it.)

I was talking of course..just the motion. Her serving motion is just perfect. No matter what you think of her looks, the motion...when you watch it on tv to me does look beautiful.

Those pics were all from 2006..not Serena's best year in the weight department. But that's another discussion.

bandabou
Apr 17th, 2009, 02:31 PM
And of course to you this would be the epitome of beauty.

http://www.tennisserver.com/Player_GIFs/STEFFI2.GIF

But is the MOTION itself beautiful?

Hachiko
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Zvonareva. I love her clean style.

miffedmax
Apr 17th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Zvonareva. I love her clean style.

In my first response, I meant to say Bepa reminds me of Myskina in terms of her gracefulness. I don't think she has quite the guile of the Dark Contessa, though--except for the two-handed slice.

rucolo
Apr 17th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Serena Williams
Aga Radwanska
Martina Hingis
Anna Kournikova
Tamira Paszek
Iroda Tulyaganova
K-Lina Sprem
Jelena Dokic
Nadia Petrova
Maria Sharapova
Anastasia Myskina

Ju's backhand
Apr 17th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Amélie, that's how tennis should be played.

Dawn Marie
Apr 17th, 2009, 05:00 PM
By game I am refering to the all-court game.
Justine and Martina Hingis. :)

JAMESYBABY!
Apr 17th, 2009, 05:04 PM
zheng
batoli ..

Just Do It
Apr 17th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I know I am biased but I have to say Dokic. Her pure shots are just AMAZING.

Shinjiro
Apr 17th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Henin

Vanity Bonfire
Apr 17th, 2009, 05:58 PM
When on...

Svetlana Kuznetsova (she can play well from all over the court)
Daniela Hantuchova
Vera Zvonareva
Amelie Mauresmo

LDVTennis
Apr 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I was talking of course..just the motion. Her serving motion is just perfect. No matter what you think of her looks, the motion...when you watch it on tv to me does look beautiful.

I acknowledged it is a very good motion. Perfect? Not sure about that.

Beautiful? Not in my opinion. Am I the only one with this opinion? Well, let's see.

Here are Fred Stolle and Martina Navratilova on Serena's serve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoNhZtPO5S4.

Never once do they refer to the motion as "beautiful."

Orbis
Apr 17th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Out of that list, Mauresmo easily.

However, I think Hantuchova has an amazingly beautiful game when she's on. Her strokes are so fluid it's ridiculous, you feel like you're watching synchronized swimming. :speakles: She moves very gracefully as well when she's playing good tennis. My vote would go to her for sure.

Like Volcana said, Ana Ivanovic can also play really beautiful tennis when she plays well. Unfortunately, such performances are rare from her and she has had more matches where she has played cringe-worthy tennis than beautiful tennis. :rolleyes:

améliemomo
Apr 17th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Amélie, that's how tennis should be played.

well said.

Ballbasher
Apr 17th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Golovin vs Chakvetadze in Stuttgart was joy to watch with very fluid strokes :hearts: Was so happy to watch it live. Although Chaky exploded in Set 2.
Dani has a very great game live, too.
Have yet to see Maria live.
Venus' groundstrokes are lovely
I loved Azarenka, while Serena was pretty , but her game once it works, especially her serve are very natural for me.
And personally when it's ON I love Sveta hitting forehand winners all over the court with her grip.

LegionArgentina
Apr 17th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hingis and Henin :hatoff:

doujyr
Apr 17th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Lucie Safarova :hearts:

bandabou
Apr 17th, 2009, 10:13 PM

Good, not perfect.. Ok. And who has/had the perfect motion besides Sampras and why does Serena's lack to not be perfect?

KanSuke
Apr 17th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Hingis, and Su-Wei :inlove:

It's just so entertaining. Amazing.

And Henin would be in my list too.

DownTheLine21
Apr 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQzNhvaoNAA

I can watch these 2 highlight reels all day:inlove:

Yes! This is one of my favorite matches of all-time. Extraordinary tennis.

LDVTennis
Apr 17th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Good, not perfect.. Ok. And who has/had the perfect motion besides Sampras and why does Serena's lack to not be perfect?

A lot of Serena's power comes from her shoulders and arm, not her legs. In that clip I showed you, that's Martina's main criticism. I have to agree with her.

Serena has good twist at the waist, but doesn't get the directional results that players like Graf and Sampras did from the same twist. Off that twist, Steffi often went wide to the ad court with a combination spin (topspin/slice). You don't see that at all from Serena. She just tends to use the twist to generate topspin.

dreamgoddess099
Apr 17th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Technically flawed doesn't come into the equation. You can be technically flawed and still have a good-looking game. Venus's shots look awkward when she's struggling with her timing. However, when she's on, she flows. In her heyday at the Wimbledon 01 final, she did slam dunk styled smashes. That combination of physique and pure athletcism is probably unmatched on tour, and counts for something.

You should know that's why some haters are trying to discredit it. There is beauty in rarity and Venus's combination is very rare. It's easy for some not to see something as beautiful especially when their favs don't have the same ability.

Cp6uja
Apr 17th, 2009, 11:27 PM
After about 200 voters just 4 out of 10 of this poll options has 10+ votes (over 5%) and that says us how poll-options in this poll sucks and is not smart selected. No Maria Sharapova, Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic :confused: - but for example there is Virgine "Who" Razzano (with her one vote :p).

I find by search results of fufuqifuqishahah final poll at end of last season about best match of the 2008 (he create several "Qualification" threads to get final-9 options) and here is final results of that voting:

42 Roland Garros SF: A. Ivanovic def. J. Jankovic 64 36 64
39 US Open Final: S. Williams def. J. Jankovic 64 75
28 Australian Open 1r: J. Jankovic def. T. Paszek 26 62 1210
28 Roland Garros 4r: D. Safina def. M. Sharapova 6(6)7 76(5) 62
26 Wimbledon Final: V. Williams def. S. Williams 75 64
24 US Open QF: S. Williams def. V. Williams 76(6) 76(7)
24 Stuttgart SF: J. Jankovic def. V. Williams 6(8)7 75 62
21 Miami Final: S. Williams def. J. Jankovic 61 57 63
19 Zurich SF: V. Williams def. A. Ivanovic 46 63 64

And when we voted here about 2007 match of the year I remember that YEC/2007 final between Justine Henin and Maria Sharapova has (by far) most votes...

So where is Maria, Ana and Jelena in this poll, and what players like Razzano doing here? For example I don't think that Jelena Jankovic has the most beautiful game in WTA when she is ON, but fact is that her game style is just perfect for every opponent to show her best so no big surprise that in last 2-3 seasons JJ is involved in more spectacular matches and real WTA showdowns than any other WTA player. But if for this thread is only relevant one-seeded beautiful game where is Maria Sharapova and Ana Ivanovic there? Since when hitting winners all the way is "ugly" in tennis? Is long relies which include even moon-balls sometimes and "wait for opponent error" tactics really such beautiful to watch, unlike Sharapova or Ivanovic "ATP Copycat" game style??? Also together with game style why to ignore players "personal charisma" when we talking about this subject? Love or hate her, but is always exciting to watch Sharapova or Ivanovic. I'm not talking about sex appeal - Serena is not so sexy at all, but has maybe strongest "personality" ever in womens sports history (or for example Clijsters is also not model-looking girl, but has that extra factor on court which crowd always feeling).

Also, we talking here about "at their best" so Svetlana Kuznetsova and Dinara Safina should be also there for sure. When theirs game is ON, both is attacking close to elite WTA power-hitters and their defense works very impressive. BTW out of this I voted for Venus.

Emina.
Apr 17th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Momo :banana:

bandabou
Apr 17th, 2009, 11:45 PM
A lot of Serena's power comes from her shoulders and arm, not her legs. In that clip I showed you, that's Martina's main criticism. I have to agree with her.

Serena has good twist at the waist, but doesn't get the directional results that players like Graf and Sampras did from the same twist. Off that twist, Steffi often went wide to the ad court with a combination spin (topspin/slice). You don't see that at all from Serena. She just tends to use the twist to generate topspin.

I see..so in your opinion, Serena's the 3rd best serve (motion?) ever?! Hmmm..not bad.

dreamgoddess099
Apr 17th, 2009, 11:47 PM

Beautiful? Not in my opinion. Am I the only one with this opinion? Well, let's see.

Here are Fred Stolle and Martina Navratilova on Serena's serve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoNhZtPO5S4.

You definitely posted the wrong video to support your view because Martina used words like effortless and perfect angle to describe Serena's serve. Then Fred added how he likes how straight Serena keeps her arm. That video was filled with nothing but admiration for her serve and yet simply because they didn't use the exact word beauty, you took it to mean her serve isn't beautiful.

Pristine
Apr 17th, 2009, 11:49 PM

:sobbing:

Ferg
Apr 17th, 2009, 11:52 PM
After about 200 voters just 4 out of 10 of this poll options has 10+ votes (over 5%) and that says us how poll-options in this poll sucks and is not smart selected. No Maria Sharapova, Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic :confused: - but for example there is Virgine "Who" Razzano (with her one vote :p).

I only looked at great performances from this year. :kiss: I threw Ana in as i didnt want angry serbians coming after me for leaving her and JJ out. :sobbing:

Barbarela
Apr 17th, 2009, 11:54 PM

honorable mention :
Hantuchova
Radwanska
Hingis
Szavay
Schnyder

Excuse me but did you ever see Hantuchova's head movement when she serves? :eek: Just awful!!

Lapin
Apr 18th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Amelie!! (Especially on grass! :hearts:)

dreamgoddess099
Apr 18th, 2009, 12:22 AM
A lot of Serena's power comes from her shoulders and arm, not her legs. In that clip I showed you, that's Martina's main criticism. I have to agree with her.Martina wasn't criticizing Serena for not using her legs more, she was praising her shoulders saying how they are so strong that Serena could hit a 100mph serve with just her shoulders.

Serena can hit her serve anywhere in the box off the same ball toss, many players and commentators have commented on how hard it is to read her serve.

CR3WLFC
Apr 18th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Mauresmo >>>>>>

Golovinjured.
Apr 18th, 2009, 02:32 AM
I don't know why some Serena fans are getting so uptight about this. Beauty is subjective, everyone won't find the same game beautiful. I define it as clever play, smooth movement, or clean hitting. The things I love tennis for. My list;

1. Martina Hingis. By far. Everything in her game was beautiful, fluent and clever.

2. Amelie Mauresmo. One handed backhand, and serve-volley game.
3. Tatiana Golovin. In particular her off forehand.
4. Jelena Dokic. Amazing groundstrokes, and such a clean hitter. My favourite shot was her old backhand slice dropshot. :drool:
5. Mary Pierce. Shotmaking at it's best, and some of the best groundstrokes ever.

Then Monica Seles, Anna Kournikova, Daniela Hantuchova, Anna Chakvetadze, Patty Schnyder, Carla Suarez Navarro on clay, and Venus Williams on grass.

LDVTennis
Apr 18th, 2009, 03:27 AM
You definitely posted the wrong video to support your view because Martina used words like effortless and perfect angle to describe Serena's serve. Then Fred added how he likes how straight Serena keeps her arm. That video was filled with nothing but admiration for her serve and yet simply because they didn't use the exact word beauty, you took it to mean her serve isn't beautiful.

Perfect Angle? Martina says Serena's elbow is at the perfect angle. In that sentence, "perfect" is not a synonym for "beautiful." It simply means that Serena has gotten her arm/elbow in the optimal position to hit up and through the ball.

As to Fred's saying that he likes the position of Serena's arm, there are technical reasons for that, that have nothing to do with the aesthetics of the shot. By keeping her left arm up, Serena maintains the proper balance between her shoulders at the start of the motion. You want the left shoulder (for a right hander) to be angled upwards like that at the start of the motion so that the serving shoulder has to rotate up into the shot.

Effortless? Martina does use the word "effortless." But, again, I don't think it is a synonym for "beautiful." I think she means it is a nice, easy motion. No arguing with that... It is a nice, easy motion.

"Beautiful" is not a hard word to use. I've heard Martina use the word before. It's in her vocabulary. She's described Federer's net play with such a word. When she was commenting at Wimbledon for HBO, she used the word to describe Steffi's movement and even Steffi's legs. If she saw something that was beautiful, we would have heard her use the word "beautiful."

RJWCapriati
Apr 18th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Davenport

LDVTennis
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Martina wasn't criticizing Serena for not using her legs more, she was praising her shoulders saying how they are so strong that Serena could hit a 100mph serve with just her shoulders.

Serena can hit her serve anywhere in the box off the same ball toss, many players and commentators have commented on how hard it is to read her serve.

Martina remarks that Serena doesn't jump very high on her serve. That's a negative whatever way you cut it. It implies that Serena could jump higher or that she really doesn't use her legs as much as she could.

Hitting serves with just your shoulders is not advisable. You can get injured quite easily that way --- anything from a tear in the shoulder to a strained abdominal muscle. The kinetic chain on the serve is really complex and in the best serves relies even more on the legs and the forearm than the shoulder. Indeed, in the best serves, the shoulder is just there to set up the elbow/forearm.

I also think you missed some of the subtext of what Martina was saying. I am not saying it is there for sure. But, elsewhere, Martina has gone on record saying that the greatness of the Williams' Sisters is that they are bigger and stronger. So, I don't think it is much of a compliment for her to state that Serena has wide shoulders.

Serena throws the ball on almost all her serves to the left, slightly over her head. There's nothing innovative about this. Sampras did it. Graf did it too. It creates the perfect conditions to hit in, up, and out on the serve, provided your flexible enough in the back and waist to position the face of the racquet so you can begin contact on the inside face of the fall. Serena is that flexible and as a result she produces pretty good topspin or kick from this angle of attack. What she doesn't do as much from this position is hit a serve that Sampras and Graf hit extremely well, the topspin/slice outwide to the AD court.

Serena's best serve is either the slice serve out wide to the Deuce court or the serve down the T to either the AD or the Deuce court. To the AD court, my recollection is that most of those serves are sliced, with slice here meaning just the angle of attack on the ball (around and down) and the predominant spin after contact (more sidespin than kick). To the Deuce court, that same serve may have some degree of topspin, but it's been a while since I've looked closely. Both these serves are easier to produce than the topspin/slice outwide to the AD court.

youizahoe
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:08 AM
I can't choose. I love powerplayers like Serena, I love Elegant volleyers like Venus, I love technique and effects like Mauresmo. I love them the most I guess :hearts:

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Totally agreed. :hearts:

fufuqifuqishahah
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Well I find chak's strokes ugly as hell, its just personal opinion I guess and AcesHigh summed up my thoughts on venus when on.

But I cant believe she hasnt been mentioned at all. TATIANA GOLOVIN.

There's no way that any human being can sit here and tell me that this isn't poetry in motion.
6nS_p5QW9Yg
All of her strokes are so smoooth fucking attractive, one of the smartest players and reads the game so well, has so much variety yet can go blow for blow with just about every player.

COME BACK TATI. :sobbing: :crying2:

no.

--

Daniela when she is on... her game looks very amazing and effortless.

Golovinjured.
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks hater, now I get to see that video again. :inlove: Tati is love.

bandabou
Apr 18th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Perfect Angle? Martina says Serena's elbow is at the perfect angle. In that sentence, "perfect" is not a synonym for "beautiful." It simply means that Serena has gotten her arm/elbow in the optimal position to hit up and through the ball.

As to Fred's saying that he likes the position of Serena's arm, there are technical reasons for that, that have nothing to do with the aesthetics of the shot. By keeping her left arm up, Serena maintains the proper balance between her shoulders at the start of the motion. You want the left shoulder (for a right hander) to be angled upwards like that at the start of the motion so that the serving shoulder has to rotate up into the shot.

Effortless? Martina does use the word "effortless." But, again, I don't think it is a synonym for "beautiful." I think she means it is a nice, easy motion. No arguing with that... It is a nice, easy motion.

"Beautiful" is not a hard word to use. I've heard Martina use the word before. It's in her vocabulary. She's described Federer's net play with such a word. When she was commenting at Wimbledon for HBO, she used the word to describe Steffi's movement and even Steffi's legs. If she saw something that was beautiful, we would have heard her use the word "beautiful."

I see how LDV operates...when he can't bring down or deny the greatness of a shot, he goes on the 'beautiful'-tour.
So in a sense you've already won the discussion from an objective basis.

bandabou
Apr 18th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Martina remarks that Serena doesn't jump very high on her serve. That's a negative whatever way you cut it. It implies that Serena could jump higher or that she really doesn't use her legs as much as she could.

Hitting serves with just your shoulders is not advisable. You can get injured quite easily that way --- anything from a tear in the shoulder to a strained abdominal muscle. The kinetic chain on the serve is really complex and in the best serves relies even more on the legs and the forearm than the shoulder. Indeed, in the best serves, the shoulder is just there to set up the elbow/forearm.

I also think you missed some of the subtext of what Martina was saying. I am not saying it is there for sure. But, elsewhere, Martina has gone on record saying that the greatness of the Williams' Sisters is that they are bigger and stronger. So, I don't think it is much of a compliment for her to state that Serena has wide shoulders.

Serena throws the ball on almost all her serves to the left, slightly over her head. There's nothing innovative about this. Sampras did it. Graf did it too. It creates the perfect conditions to hit in, up, and out on the serve, provided your flexible enough in the back and waist to position the face of the racquet so you can begin contact on the inside face of the fall. Serena is that flexible and as a result she produces pretty good topspin or kick from this angle of attack. What she doesn't do as much from this position is hit a serve that Sampras and Graf hit extremely well, the topspin/slice outwide to the AD court.

Serena's best serve is either the slice serve out wide to the Deuce court or the serve down the T to either the AD or the Deuce court. To the AD court, my recollection is that most of those serves are sliced, with slice here meaning just the angle of attack on the ball (around and down) and the predominant spin after contact (more sidespin than kick). To the Deuce court, that same serve may have some degree of topspin, but it's been a while since I've looked closely. Both these serves are easier to produce than the topspin/slice outwide to the AD court.

LDV, LDV...so why are you drifting from the subject? We're talking about the smoothness of Serena's serving motion, what Martina's to say about it...you've to go talking about the sisters only winning because they're big and strong, implying Martina said it 'somewhere'?

Since Serena in her almost 10 years already on tour, almost never had a shoulder or abdominal injury, then her serve couldn't have been all that just shoulder as you're implying.

I guess it IS that hard to you to acknowledge that a player not named Steffi was good/better at a tennis-shot? Relax..Steffi has the forehand, the true calendar slam, etc.. but Serena has the serve. Big deal, no?!

DarkchildSwiss
Apr 18th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Schnyder, from the list Venus

Sean.
Apr 18th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I don't like Mauresmo's game at all
ugly FH and serve, moonballs...

Out of these, maybe Vera or Jie

Agree 100% ;)

Vanity Bonfire
Apr 18th, 2009, 03:33 PM

I find by search results of fufuqifuqishahah final poll at end of last season about best match of the 2008 (he create several "Qualification" threads to get final-9 options) and here is final results of that voting:

42 Roland Garros SF: A. Ivanovic def. J. Jankovic 64 36 64
39 US Open Final: S. Williams def. J. Jankovic 64 75
28 Australian Open 1r: J. Jankovic def. T. Paszek 26 62 1210
28 Roland Garros 4r: D. Safina def. M. Sharapova 6(6)7 76(5) 62
26 Wimbledon Final: V. Williams def. S. Williams 75 64
24 US Open QF: S. Williams def. V. Williams 76(6) 76(7)
24 Stuttgart SF: J. Jankovic def. V. Williams 6(8)7 75 62
21 Miami Final: S. Williams def. J. Jankovic 61 57 63
19 Zurich SF: V. Williams def. A. Ivanovic 46 63 64

And when we voted here about 2007 match of the year I remember that YEC/2007 final between Justine Henin and Maria Sharapova has (by far) most votes...

So where is Maria, Ana and Jelena in this poll, and what players like Razzano doing here? For example I don't think that Jelena Jankovic has the most beautiful game in WTA when she is ON, but fact is that her game style is just perfect for every opponent to show her best so no big surprise that in last 2-3 seasons JJ is involved in more spectacular matches and real WTA showdowns than any other WTA player. But if for this thread is only relevant one-seeded beautiful game where is Maria Sharapova and Ana Ivanovic there? Since when hitting winners all the way is "ugly" in tennis? Is long relies which include even moon-balls sometimes and "wait for opponent error" tactics really such beautiful to watch, unlike Sharapova or Ivanovic "ATP Copycat" game style??? Also together with game style why to ignore players "personal charisma" when we talking about this subject? Love or hate her, but is always exciting to watch Sharapova or Ivanovic. I'm not talking about sex appeal - Serena is not so sexy at all, but has maybe strongest "personality" ever in womens sports history (or for example Clijsters is also not model-looking girl, but has that extra factor on court which crowd always feeling).

Also, we talking here about "at their best" so Svetlana Kuznetsova and Dinara Safina should be also there for sure. When theirs game is ON, both is attacking close to elite WTA power-hitters and their defense works very impressive. BTW out of this I voted for Venus.

Jankovic is always dull, dull, dull. All Sharapova does is hit hard and scream loud - hardly the prettiest sight in the world.

Slutiana
Apr 18th, 2009, 03:55 PM
no.

--

Daniela when she is on... her game looks very amazing and effortless.
:spit: Ok maybe I would have taken you seriously if you didnt claim that Daniela's got the most beautiful game. :rolls:.

Slutiana
Apr 18th, 2009, 03:57 PM
And I dont know about beautiful but Jankovic definatly has one of the most enjoyable games and Cp6uja is right, its no surprise that she is often seen in the best matches. Especially in the latter part of 08 when she started being aggresive.

LDVTennis
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM
LDV, LDV...so why are you drifting from the subject? We're talking about the smoothness of Serena's serving motion, what Martina's to say about it...you've to go talking about the sisters only winning because they're big and strong, implying Martina said it 'somewhere'?

Since Serena in her almost 10 years already on tour, almost never had a shoulder or abdominal injury, then her serve couldn't have been all that just shoulder as you're implying.

I guess it IS that hard to you to acknowledge that a player not named Steffi was good/better at a tennis-shot? Relax..Steffi has the forehand, the true calendar slam, etc.. but Serena has the serve. Big deal, no?!

Admit it! You don't know much, if anything, about the serve from a technical standpoint. That's why you couldn't engage any of my technical points about Serena's serve directly. So, this is what you come up with.

You don't know what a topspin serve is. You wouldn't know if Serena is hitting one or not.

You didn't understand what I meant by the twist at her waist or the inside-face of the ball. You have no clue.

Slice, sidespin, topspin, kick, it's all way over your head.

Instead, you trot out some term like "smoothness." Exactly, what does that mean from a technical standpoint? There have been plenty of players in the history of the sport that have had smooth motions, for example, Chris Evert. Those players did not have great serves. So, what have you proven? Nothing.

Yet, you somehow feel knowledgeable enough to claim that Serena has the best serve. Based on what? Your superior knowledge of the mechanics of the serve in all its variety.

That's a joke and you're a joke for not trying a little harder. I tried. I went and looked at videos of Serena's serve in order to provide the reasonable analysis I did. It is not something that I do often for certain reasons.

By the way, this wasn't a Serena vs. Steffi thing to me until you tried to make it into one. I simply used Steffi as an example. I never said her serve was better. The issue is more complicated than that, especially when you take into account the fact that Steffi did not rely on her serve as much as Serena or Martina Navratilova do/did.

The Witch-king
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:21 PM

Yes because this thread is: "Who do Martina Navratilova and Fred Stolle think has the most beautiful serve?".

Anyways. I voted for Serena. When her serve is on it's almost hypnotic. I was so GLAD when that roof was closed in Melbourne, it was like the heavens opened and just washed away all the rust that was preventing Serena from hitting the damn ball in the early rounds.

Venus's power is really beautiful.

I also think Ana has a nice, easy looking game. But the girl hits the ball out so often... but then this song is about when they are on. As does Hantuchova. But the thing with these women is that, OK they have a really clean looking game- but what's the point if it barely works for you? I prefer Venus's "ugly" strokes that produce beautiful, WINNING power rather than clean "pretty" strokes that get you no where.

Jankovic has a nice backhand that she uses well to wrongfoot her opponents and hit those backhand winners which always look nice.

Maria Sharapova I can confidently say does NOT have a beautiful game. Sorry! She looks so awkward hitting the ball. And those shoulders just seem to get in the way of everything. + the grunt. :(

bad_angel_109
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:22 PM
i was gonna vote for elena d but then i saw carla and voted for her. her bloody forehands (and quite possibly backhands as well) are sooo like federer's, i swear to god. i was watching her play venus (on tv) then the day after she beat venus and i saw her on the practice courts i watched her for a few minutes.

too bad there wasnt an 'other' option. i would've voted hantuchova. fluid, graceful groundstrokes but otherwise a mental nightmare:p

The Witch-king
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Admit it! You don't know much, if anything, about the serve from a technical standpoint. That's why you couldn't engage any of my technical points about Serena's serve directly. So, this is what you come up with.

You don't know what a topspin serve is. You wouldn't know if Serena is hitting one or not.

You didn't understand what I meant by the twist at her waist or the inside-face of the ball. You have no clue.

Instead, you trot out some term like "smoothness." Exactly, what does that mean from a technical standpoint? There have been plenty of players in the history of the sport that have had smooth motions, for example, Chris Evert. Those players did not have great serves. So, what have you proven? Nothing..

You're being a bit of a jerk.

LDVTennis
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Yes because this thread is: "Who do Martina Navratilova and Fred Stolle think has the most beautiful thread?".

Anyways. I voted for Serena. When her serve is on it's almost hypnotic. I was so GLAD when that roof was closed in Melbourne, it was like the heavens opened and just washed away all the rust that was preventing Serena from hitting the damn ball in the early rounds.

Venus's power is really beautiful.

You're a fan of Venus and Serena. You think they are beautiful. You think their tennis is beautiful.

You get it. I may not get it. Fred and Martina may not get it. But, who cares if the rest of the world doesn't get it.

As long as you keep believing it, there's no place like home. :D

The Witch-king
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM
You're a fan of Venus and Serena. You think they are beautiful. You think their tennis is beautiful.

You get it. I may not get it. Fred and Martina may not get it. But, who cares if the rest of the world doesn't get it.

As long as you keep believing it, there's no place like home. :D

um... so why do you feel the need to post videos and essays about why Serena's serve is not beautiful if you accept that different people have different ideas of what is beautiful in tennis??

bandabou
Apr 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM

Instead, you trot out some term like "smoothness." Exactly, what does that mean from a technical standpoint? There have been plenty of players in the history of the sport that have had smooth motions, for example, Chris Evert. Those players did not have great serves. So, what have you proven? Nothing.

Yet, you somehow feel knowledgeable enough to claim that Serena has the best serve. Based on what? Your superior knowledge of the mechanics of the serve in all its variety.

That's a joke and you're a joke for not trying a little harder. I tried. I went and looked at videos of Serena's serve in order to provide the reasonable analysis I did. It is not something that I do often for certain reasons.

By the way, this wasn't a Serena vs. Steffi thing to me until you tried to make it into one. I simply used Steffi as an example. I never said her serve was better. The issue is more complicated than that, especially when you take into account the fact that Steffi did not rely on her serve as much as Serena or Martina Navratilova do/did.

So much pretentiousness and presumptuousness...you really think that you're sooo much clever and smart than other people, huh?

I don't have to prove a thing to you, LDV. The facts are all out there and the most knowledgeable people have said numerous times that Serena has one of , if not THE, best serves in tennis history. What's more is there to say?

It's you who wanna make it a discussion because you think that Serena can't hit the twister.

And you aren't really comparing Serena's serve to Evert's serve are you?

See you're even proving my point. Serena's game is so built around her serve and her serve is THAT good, that she can win 10 majors and counting with it. Doesn't say a lot about her serve?

LDVTennis
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:15 PM
So much pretentiousness and presumptuousness...you really think that you're sooo much clever and smart than other people, huh?

I don't have to prove a thing to you, LDV. The facts are all out there and the most knowledgeable people have said numerous times that Serena has one of , if not THE, best serves in tennis history. What's more is there to say?

It's you who wanna make it a discussion because you think that Serena can't hit the twister.

And you aren't really comparing Serena's serve to Evert's serve are you?

See you're even proving my point. Serena's game is so built around her serve and her serve is THAT good, that she can win 10 majors and counting with it. Doesn't say a lot about her serve?

Well, at least, you didn't call me a racist. Small miracles, indeed.

Why all the work to cover your ignorance?

Do you think everyone who tries to have a serious discussion about technical questions is pretentious and presumptuous? Maybe, they just see the complexity in things that you don't see. Now, there's a thought.

miffedmax
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Ever notice how the only one impressed by your alleged tennis knowledge around here is you?

moby
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Do you think everyone who tries to have a serious discussion about technical questions is pretentious and presumptuous? Maybe, they just see the complexity in things that you don't see. Now, there's a thought.Can you tell us about the technical brilliance of the Graf topspin backhand?

sweetpeas
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Serena!Venus on grass.

Vanity Bonfire
Apr 18th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Blah.

Slutiana
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Ever notice how the only one impressed by your alleged tennis knowledge around here is you?
:spit: Amen to that. :bowdown:

StZox
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Why no Ana and Jelena on that list??

Give them some credit. They deserve it.

And by the way I think that Jelena's game is beautiful when on, because it is based on technique and not power.

bandabou
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Well, at least, you didn't call me a racist. Small miracles, indeed.

Why all the work to cover your ignorance?

Do you think everyone who tries to have a serious discussion about technical questions is pretentious and presumptuous? Maybe, they just see the complexity in things that you don't see. Now, there's a thought.

Trying to be funny, LDV? Seems like your attempt at sounding knowledgeable of tennis technique is better than your attempt at humor.

No, the person who thinks that he's the ONLY one who has any knowledge about tennis is the one who's pretentious and presumptuous...and in this case that'd be you. Calling others ignorant, etc..? What's up with that, LDV?

Is this the way you threat your students as well?!

Apoleb
Apr 18th, 2009, 06:38 PM
So reading this discussion, it seems we all agree that Serena's serve motion is "simple", "smooth", "effortless" and as we all know, ridiculously effective. That's what actually people usually qualify as "beautiful".

I'm no Serena fan, but if something in her game that I admire and find pretty, it's the serve.

Dini.
Apr 18th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Momo when on, definitely for me :hearts::drool::inlove:. Even though it hasn't happened a lot lately :sobbing:, she still has produced some breathtaking tennis this year, the highlights being against Errani in Paris and that tiebreaker against Coin in Brisbane. Seeing that backhand in full flow raises my heart rate considerably, it's a real beauty :worship:

LDVTennis
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Trying to be funny, LDV? Seems like your attempt at sounding knowledgeable of tennis technique is better than your attempt at humor.

No, the person who thinks that he's the ONLY one who has any knowledge about tennis is the one who's pretentious and presumptuous...and in this case that'd be you. Calling others ignorant, etc..? What's up with that, LDV?

Is this the way you threat your students as well?!

I'll PM you with my response to the question, why I don't treat you like my students? You've made this personal again. This was a thread about something else, call it the beauty of the game, before you started calling me names.

Of the available choices, I voted for Mauresmo. I would have voted for Mauresmo even if Henin were still playing.

I always thought Henin's game wasn't as beautiful as some people thought because her proportions made her strokes seem too technical. I even had qualms about her backhand. It's a beautiful shot on the follow-through, but to compensate for her lack of physical leverage she overloads the shoulder on the setup, even angling it up. I just didn't think that looked all too pretty.

Amelie's backhand has a similar problem, not technical, but aesthetic. I haven't looked at it recently. So, from memory, it always seemed to me that Amelie has this hitch in her backhand swing where she stops the rotation of her shoulders in order to establish leverage and then lets the arm come through to execute the shot. From an aesthetic standpoint, her shoulders should be more fluid through the shot and not close and open so squarely, if that makes sense.

Having said all that, the rest of Amelie's movements and her technical ease no matter where she is on the court make her overall game quite beautiful.

bandabou
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I'll PM you with my response to the question, why I don't treat you like my students? You've made this personal again. This was a thread about something else, call it the beauty of the game, before you started calling me names.

Of the available choices, I voted for Mauresmo. I would have voted for Mauresmo even if Henin were still playing.

I always thought Henin's game wasn't as beautiful as some people thought because her proportions made her strokes seem too technical. I even had qualms about her backhand. It's a beautiful shot on the follow-through, but to compensate for her lack of physical leverage she overloads the shoulder on the setup, even angling it up. I just didn't think that looked all too pretty.

Amelie's backhand has a similar problem, not technical, but aesthetic. I haven't looked at it recently. So, from memory, it always seemed to me that Amelie has this hitch in her backhand swing where she stops the rotation of her shoulders in order to establish leverage and then lets the arm come through to execute the shot. From an aesthetic standpoint, her shoulders should be more fluid through the shot and not close and open so squarely, if that makes sense.

Having said all that, the rest of Amelie's movements and her technical ease no matter where she is on the court make her overall game quite beautiful.

U can look it up...only person who made snide remarks here was you. I never called you ignorant or offended you in any other way.

Momo's a good choice. I always found her more fluid, natural than Justine.

DOUBLEFIST
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Serena, without question.

When her game is COMPLETELY on (ie, circa '02), it is all at once beautiful and devastating- which is an amazing combination. It's like watching some kind of highwire act, an amazing combination of angles, lines, gi-normous serves, sprinkling in swingers and of course kickers, huge, flat, penatrating groundies to- yes- even an occasional moon-ball (Serena often gives as good as she gets in that arena). All this couple with ASTOUNDING athleticism, surpassed only by her sister, allowing her to come up with shots from other wise losing positions, makes Serena Williams game UNPARALLELED!!!!!

...when it's on.