PDA

View Full Version : Do the very top players HAVE to play an international tournament?

liuxuan
Apr 15th, 2009, 10:23 PM
since venus and serena have both played acapulco and marbella this year, i was wondering if it was an obligation of a top player to have at least one international level tournament count in their top 16 resultsor if they could just play all grandslams and premiers??

Craig.
Apr 15th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Don't think so.

Uranium
Apr 15th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I don't think so, but they are allowed to play 1 international each half of the year.;)

In The Zone
Apr 15th, 2009, 10:35 PM
They do not have to, but if they do, they are capable of earning a greater share of the prize money pool at year end. [2, one in each half.]

Matt01
Apr 15th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Safina hasn't and won't play an international event this half of the season.

Does s'Hertogenbosh count for the first half or the second half of the season?

In The Zone
Apr 15th, 2009, 10:38 PM
First.

Matt01
Apr 15th, 2009, 10:41 PM
In that case Uranium was wrong :p

Uranium
Apr 15th, 2009, 10:41 PM
First.

The second half starts after Wimbledon?
Then I am wrong about Safina:angel:

In The Zone
Apr 15th, 2009, 10:43 PM
since venus and serena have both played acapulco and marbella this year, i was wondering if it was an obligation of a top player to have at least one international level tournament count in their top 16 resultsor if they could just play all grandslams and premiers??

I didn't read the second part of this post but the internationals do not have to count in their ranking. 10 results are mandatory: 4 slams, 4 mandatories and the best 2 of the Premier 5. The next 6 are the remaining 6 best. The internationals do not have to be a part of that 6 but if mathematically they are, then they obviously count.

A new rule for this year is that if you qualify for the YECs, they will also be mandatory in your ranking.