PDA

View Full Version : Tarpischev: Sharapova gearing up for French Open

Craig.
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM
MOSCOW, April 15 (RIA Novosti) - Russia's injury-hit Maria Sharapova is gearing up to play in the upcoming French Open, the head of the Russian tennis federation, Shamil Tarpishchev said on Wednesday.

"I spoke with her father the day before yesterday and he told me that she is training seriously for Roland Garros," Tarpishchev told journalists.

The former-world number one has been plagued by a shoulder injury that has left her unable to compete since August last year.

Sharapova has tumbled to 53rd place in the women's tennis rankings since undergoing surgery in October.

"She is getting ready to play a couple of tournaments before the French Open," Tarpishchev said, adding "Maria is now back to full training. We can only hope that she does well."

The French Open is due to take place in Paris from May 24 until June 7.

http://en.rian.ru/sports/20090415/121144348.html

pollison
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Hopefully she will be back before then but it would be awesome if she made FO

NewShoulderPlz.
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I hope that's true. I miss you, Maria. :sobbing:

Adal
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Good to know :hearts:

goldenlox
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Maria is keeping busy

Matthew Stafford is getting around these days.

Stafford’s on the cover of the latest Sporting News and was out in California recently on another trip for an ESPN The Magazine photo shoot.

“He flew out to L.A. and Maria Sharapova is giving him a makeover for ESPN The Magazine,” Georgia receiver Kris Durham, good friends with Stafford, said last week. “That’s the only thing he’s told me about.”

A publicist for the magazine confirmed that Sharapova, a past Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion, is the guest editor for the magazine’s June 19 athlete issue and Stafford is in it.

pwayne
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Hope Maria surprises me and play Rome as expected:)

serenus_2k8
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Id like to see her in some of the big clay court events leading up to RG. It might help relieve the pressure ;)

cyannnnn
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
if she wins RG, i would be :eek::eek::eek: but also :):):worship:

Adal
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM
if she wins RG, i would be :eek::eek::eek: but also :):):worship:
Too bad that's not going to happen :awww:

Хлоэ
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM
can't wait :awww:

mashamaniac
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Too bad that's not going to happen :awww:

ٌWhy not? who knows what will happen in the future?? :lol::hearts:

Mikey.
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:23 PM
:hearts::hearts::hearts:

qqzone
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM
back again!

hankqq
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:35 PM
hopefully she'll be ready to compete again soon :)

morningglory
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:42 PM
She still wants the career GS :yeah:
Well, with Henin gone... anyways she most likely won't win it this year, but maybe in a few years who knows, right?

joão.
Apr 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Good. :bounce:

iGOAT
Apr 15th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hopefully not.....

I think I'm in the minority here, but I don't miss her.

Aravanecaravan
Apr 15th, 2009, 04:20 PM
..and the winner of the Good Will award is....

Hopefully not.....

Come on back, Masha. We miss ya.

Ciarán
Apr 15th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Ecstatic that she is training hard. But I think post RG is a more realistic goal. I want her to be healthy as opposed to rushing back.

Ciarán
Apr 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Hopefully not.....

Well she is and she will cain Agis ass anyday

serenus_2k8
Apr 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Marquee players always make events, especially the slams, more exciting. Im shocked that anyone enjoys slams where the big names are missing, I certainly prefer a full draw loaded with top players playing decent tennis. Congrats to Maria for getting back into full time practise. Its taken a lot of baby steps but she seems to be getting there.

DownTheLine21
Apr 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Marquee players always make events, especially the slams, more exciting. Im shocked that anyone enjoys slams where the big names are missing, I certainly prefer a full draw loaded with top players playing decent tennis. Congrats to Maria for getting back into full time practise. Its taken a lot of baby steps but she seems to be getting there.

I agree. I certainly hope Maria is able to compete at a high level. Like you said, Roland Garros will be more fun if she's there.

tonythetiger
Apr 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Hopefully not.....

Not really. I miss Serena giving her those luscious beat downs.:p

nelsondan
Apr 15th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Maria is keeping busy

Matthew Stafford is getting around these days.

Stafford’s on the cover of the latest Sporting News and was out in California recently on another trip for an ESPN The Magazine photo shoot.

“He flew out to L.A. and Maria Sharapova is giving him a makeover for ESPN The Magazine,” Georgia receiver Kris Durham, good friends with Stafford, said last week. “That’s the only thing he’s told me about.”

A publicist for the magazine confirmed that Sharapova, a past Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion, is the guest editor for the magazine’s June 19 athlete issue and Stafford is in it.

When Maria was at that age where other girls had Barbie and Ken dolls to play with, she might have been too poor to afford them.

Talk about payback to her inner child!

MyskinaManiac
Apr 15th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I actually want her to win Roland Garros.

Realistically, she cannot.

nelsondan
Apr 15th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I actually want her to win Roland Garros.

Realistically, she cannot.

June, 2004.

I want the Boston Red Sox to finally win a World Series this Year. And there is this skinny blond teenaged tennis player named Maria something. I hope she wins Wimbledon.

Realistically, this cannot happen.

RenaSlam.
Apr 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Hmmm.

Libertango
Apr 15th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Good luck Maria!

soul
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:05 PM
She has beeb tarining for Roland Garrods from the beginning of the yearand I have always metioned in all threads that she will come back to French Open; and now it is comfirmed.Well Done to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt01
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Nothing new here. We've been hearing since January that Sharapova is training hard, totall fit and will come back to the tour soon, yadda yadda, yuck yuck.

Now it's almost May and she still hasn't even played one singles match.

Matt01
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:10 PM
She has beeb tarining for Roland Garrods from the beginning of the yearand I have always metioned in all threads that she will come back to French Open; and now it is comfirmed.Well Done to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is confirmed? :lol:

Craig.
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Nothing new here. We've been hearing since January that Sharapova is training hard, totall fit and will come back to the tour soon, yadda yadda, yuck yuck.

Now it's almost May and she still hasn't even played one singles match.

Too bad for you she's not retiring any time soon :wavey:

Lulu.
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:26 PM
:zzz:

Matt01
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Too bad for you she's not retiring any time soon :wavey:

Too bad for you that she won't come back anytime soon? :wavey:

Are we in kindergarten or what?

Craig.
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Most definitely :sobbing:

serenus_2k8
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Too bad for you that she won't come back anytime soon? :wavey:

Are we in kindergarten or what?

I wouldnt think so. You probably wont start til September :wavey:

sammy01
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:39 PM
sounds hopeful, lets hope its true

nelsondan
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I want more specific information on Rome. If she plays Rome, she plays Roland Garros.

If she does not play Rome, then Roland Garros is in the maybe, but probably not category.

This third hand information sounds suspiciously like a cover to soften the blow of "Maria is not playing Rome".

I need to hear something more from Maria, and I wish I knew where and how hard she is training.

WowWow
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:51 PM
She's got no chance whatsoever of winning RG, but I'm glad she'll finally be back!!!

Хлоэ
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Matt01 still in love with Maria :awww:

Хлоэ
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:53 PM
geez, who is saying about winning RG, we, fans are happy to see her back asap.
Some of you :rolleyes:

doni1212
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Well, this will be interesting to see what happens once again....

jefrilibra
Apr 15th, 2009, 07:04 PM
It will be short-lived.

goldenlox
Apr 15th, 2009, 07:34 PM
She's working hard

Sara: Hi Taylor. Do you have sympathy for Maria Sharapova, who can't seem to get over her shoulder injury? Will she ever be the same?

Taylor Dent: I definitely have sympathy for Maria. Especially since she's at the academy where I'm working. I see her there and see how hard she's working. It's hard to see injuries halt a player's career. But if there's a player that can overcome it, it's Maria, she works as hard as anybody

schorsch
Apr 15th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Tarpy :hug: great guy, honest and prof. :) thx

taylor :awww:

slamchamp
Apr 15th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Hopefully not.....

I think I'm in the minority here, but I don't miss her.Hopefully not?:help:
I know you're too scared she kicks Agnes butt:worship:

Craig.
Apr 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM
^^They've never played each other... :sobbing:

...unfortunately :devil:

The Dawntreader
Apr 15th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I'm still doubtful.

iGOAT
Apr 15th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Good lord people :o

I'm not trying to be mean to her, just saying I'm not missing her. If she retired that would be one thing, but but for now a Wimbledon or US Open return is what I want

CloudAtlas
Apr 15th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I keep reading the title as Tipsarevic...I was wondering what that misogynistic moron was doing concerning himself with Sharapova's career.

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 15th, 2009, 11:28 PM
i hope she comes back...but this is the same thing that was said before the AO so :shrug:

bobbynorwich
Apr 15th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Part of 'gearing up' is playing lower prelude tourneys first.

Craig.
Apr 15th, 2009, 11:32 PM
i hope she comes back...but this is the same thing that was said before the AO so :shrug:

Cheatus? :speakles:

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 15th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Masha :hearts:

AcesHigh
Apr 15th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Cheatus? :speakles:

:spit: this made me laugh so hard

But seriously, we've heard this before. I wont believe it until she's on teh court.

FoxyliciousKhat
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I want more specific information on Rome. If she plays Rome, she plays Roland Garros.

If she does not play Rome, then Roland Garros is in the maybe, but probably not category.

This third hand information sounds suspiciously like a cover to soften the blow of "Maria is not playing Rome".

I need to hear something more from Maria, and I wish I knew where and how hard she is training.

I totally agree with you on this being third hand info and questionable. BTW was it not this same Tarpischev who said Yuri had lost control of Maria and she was no longer interesting in tennis or something to that extent? If I'm wrong then I apologise.

Anyway back on the third hand info thing, Maria's camp has never dealt that way so I'm sort of not buying this. I honest find it funny that one would say she's past up tournaments like IW and Miami and been focusing more on RG where points will be longer as her comeback. It just seem kinda weird.

In any event all one wish for her is for to be healthy and playing again so here's hoping there is some true to all this.

Foxy

pepaw
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I totally agree with you on this being third hand info and questionable. BTW was it not this same Tarpischev who said Yuri had lost control of Maria and she was no longer interesting in tennis or something to that extent? If I'm wrong then I apologise.

Anyway back on the third hand info thing, Maria's camp has never dealt that way so I'm sort of not buying this. I honest find it funny that one would say she's past up tournaments like IW and Miami and been focusing more on RG where points will be longer as her comeback. It just seem kinda weird.

In any event all one wish for her is for to be healthy and playing again so here's hoping there is some true to all this.

Foxy

it was actually chakvetadze's father who said all that nonsense about maria.

this is encouraging but i wont believe anything until she plays a match.

Roookie
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:40 AM
blah bla blah. Same thing as AO, Paris, Indian Wells...etc. I think she'll come back soon but it might take some time for her to gain her GS Champion form and confidence.

Pristine
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Unseeded Maria could have the early rounds and draw ceremony a BLAST.

Spiritof42
Apr 16th, 2009, 05:09 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.
I DO hope she'll be back sooner than later.

moby
Apr 16th, 2009, 05:26 AM
You mean, like how she was gearing up for the Australian Open, Paris, Dubai, Indian Wells, Miami?

faboozadoo15
Apr 16th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Hopefully not.....

Wow. Fuck off...

faboozadoo15
Apr 16th, 2009, 08:06 AM
PovaGarros :kiss:

goldenlox
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Something is very bad with her shoulder if she's not in the Paris draw.
She wants to play majors. Never missed one until the 2008 USO

Aravanecaravan
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Something is very bad with her shoulder if she's not in the Paris draw.

Learn something about shoulder injuries and recovery therefrom before spreading all of that doom and gloom.

It takes at least a year to recover from a rotator cuff injury.

goldenlox
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:54 AM
She said she could have played the AO if it was 3 weeks later.
The FO is 5 months later

slamchamp
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:25 PM
don't get impatient goldenlox she's being careful

Shoulderpova
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:32 PM
haters are already scared of her comeback :spit: