PDA

View Full Version : Road to Bali - Updated

martinafan
Apr 15th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Hi Guys!

Thought I would take this opportunity to update everyone on the Road to Bali.

Criteria: The top ten ranked winners of international tournaments in 2009 that are NOT eligible to compete in the YEC may participate in Bali.

The table below lists the winners of international tournaments in 2009, their current WTA rank and their current race standing.

UPDATED 20th April (after Barcelona)

Player, (Current WTA Rank), [Current Race Standing]
Dementieva, (4), [4]
Azarenka, (8), [5]
Wozniacki, (9), [6]
V.Williams, (3), [7]
Zvonareva, (7), [8]
Bartoli, (13), [10]
Jankovic, (6), [11]
Medina Garrigues, (21), [19]
Szavay, (27), [26]
Martinez Sanchez, (42), [27]
Rezai, (43), [33]
Vinci, (46), [41]
Rybarikova, (48), [46]
Wickmayer, (55), [48]
Tanasugarn, (82), [64]
Kvitova, (63), [72]

Anyone in the current top 8 of the Race would be ineligible to compete in Bali if it was held now. At this stage, the only people eligible to compete are (in order of current WTA ranks):

1) Jankovic
2) Bartoli
3) Medina Garrigues
4) Szavay
5) Martinez Sanchez
6) Rezai
7) Vinci
8) Rybarikova
9) Wickmayer
10) Tanasugarn
11) Kvitova

Obviously, this will change based on new winners, changes in ranks and race standings. I thought it was good to do this just to keep people updated and create more interest in this new innovation of the WTA tour.

I'll be curious to see how the tournament pans out.

Hope it provides for some interesting reading!

Cheers,
Dean :wavey:

martinafan
Apr 15th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Brisbane - Azarenka
Auckland - Dementieva
Hobart - Kvitova
Pattaya - Zvonareva
Memphis - Azarenka
Bogota - Martinez Sanchez
Acapulco - V.Williams
Monterrey - Bartoli
Ponte Verde Beach - Wozniacki
Marbella - Jankovic
Fes - Medina Garrigues
Estoril - Wickmayer
Strasbourg - Rezai
Birmingham - Rybarikova
's-hertogenbosch - Tanasugarn
Budapest - Szavay
Bastad - Martinez Sanchez

frenchie
Apr 15th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Good idea thanks

Ben.
Apr 15th, 2009, 12:20 PM

jonny84
Apr 15th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Good idea.

Definitely safe to say that as of this moment Kvitova and Martinez Sanchez will be playing, and likely that Bartoli will as well. But of course with 20 more tournaments to go there will be scope for change, and it depends also whether Azarenka and Wozniakci could potentially qualify for YEC.

Uranium
Apr 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM
2 WCs are also given.;)

Venus:lol:, hopefully Mauresmo will get in here either by winning an international or by WC.

martinafan
Apr 15th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Good idea.

Definitely safe to say that as of this moment Kvitova and Martinez Sanchez will be playing, and likely that Bartoli will as well. But of course with 20 more tournaments to go there will be scope for change, and it depends also whether Azarenka and Wozniakci could potentially qualify for YEC.

Definitely! You would have to assume that Azarenka will qualify for YEC based on her play so far this year. Wozniacki, I'm not so sure.

I'm not sure how they will determine the WC's, but that will definitely be interesting to see as well ;)

itzhak
Apr 15th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Do you have any doubt that the 1st WC wil be Sania Mirza?

charmedRic
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:20 PM

if her level of play isn't good enough ... you never know.

frenchie
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:32 PM
No way Sania gets in with a WC

I think Radwanska will win an international event before the end of the year and will get in
Maybe Cibulkova and Cornet too

martinafan
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:48 PM
well hopefully players like radwanska, cibulkova, cornet, schnyder, mauresmo will win some international events because they are the players that you want to be competing in the event at Bali.

Would love to see Patty win an international title and then finish off the year with a win at Bali. Heck, even Jelena Dokic qualifying for Bali would make my year!

nevetssllim
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:56 PM
If her form improves, I wonder if Schnyder would get a wild-card because she was a big advocate of the tier III event in Bali...

jonny84
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:08 PM

I think the wildcard will have to go to someone who maybe won a tournament but wasn't high enough to qualify, or someone who reached a couple of International tournament finals.

At the moment - Sania reached the Pattaya City final, but then they could give it to Benesova who reached Hobart and got to the semis of Monterrey and Acapulco.

CloudAtlas
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Hypothetically , what if 10 different women outside top 8 don't win an International title this year?

martinafan
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Hypothetically , what if 10 different women outside top 8 don't win an International title this year?

The same thought had crossed my mind ;) Would definitely be an interesting scenario for first year of the inaugural event lol

jonny84
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:16 PM

That's a good question. I'm sure it won't happen but then there is always the chance. I suppose they would then look at most finals or just make the unfilled spots wildcards.

tennnisfannn
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:17 PM
shame on Serena, she will never qualify for Bali at this rate, she has never won a tournie of that magniude.:lol:

qqzone
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:21 PM
wot?

martinafan
Apr 15th, 2009, 11:04 PM
If her form improves, I wonder if Schnyder would get a wild-card because she was a big advocate of the tier III event in Bali...

I would love it, but her form would definitely need to improve a LOT ;)

Wiggly
Apr 16th, 2009, 12:20 AM
It will ends up with tons of Spaniards ranked in the 30's/50's who will win all the clay tournaments after Wimbledon.

Junzilla69
Apr 16th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Hopefully Flavia racks in a win.

mboyle
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:33 AM
This event is legitimately the most confusing thing on the new tour for me. I'm sure it will go off well. I just don't understand and GAH it makes me feel old. :(

Daniel
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Would be nice if Dokic makes it.

In The Zone
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:09 AM
We really haven't had many internationals -- yet. The ones in January/February usually have normal/big names. Like Wiggly said, the ones in July and in the Fall will make up most of the contenders.

martinafan
Apr 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM
Updated after Vinci's win in Barcelona.

Really hope some more of the 11-25 ranked players win some international events to make the final event in Bali quasi-interesting at least ;)

TS
Apr 21st, 2009, 12:06 PM
What if someone like Lisicki (who, let's face it, won't finish top 8 this year) doesn't win an International, yet she's won a Premier instead? :confused: Where does that leave her? Surely they'd give someone in this position a WC.

This tournament could just be the single dumbest thing the WTA has done this year. Let's wait and see.

CloudAtlas
Jun 20th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Updated , there's now at least 10 players outside the top 8 in the race who've won an International title this year and can qualify for Bali, they are, in order of ranking :

Jelena Jankovic
Marion Bartoli
Anabel Medina Garrigues
Magdelena Ryabarikova
Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez
Aravane Rezai
Tamarine Tanasugarn
Roberta Vinci
Petra Kvitova
Yanina Wickmayer

Two wildcard = probably Schnyder & Hantuchova

I'm hoping that A.Radwanska, Mauresmo, Ivanovic and Cibulkova can win an International title this year and qualify for this in order to bump this field up a bit as it doesn't seem to be the most enthralling of events! I'd say Bartoli and Medina Garrigues are pretty much secured berths in this tourny right now. And judging by how she's playing Jankovic too as it's gonna be hard for her to qualify for the YEC.

Fantasy Hero
Jun 20th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Hopefully Flavia racks in a win.

ahahah it seems this year Flavia won't win a Micky Mouse tournament neither:o

danieln1
Jun 21st, 2009, 10:11 AM
If they change the surface to grass, Tamarine will win this tournament very easily...

I think they´ll give a wild card to Maria, Daniela or Ana, maybe Jelena Dokic! Jankovic will definetly play this tournament...

sammy01
Jun 21st, 2009, 10:19 AM
Updated , there's now at least 10 players outside the top 8 in the race who've won an International title this year and can qualify for Bali, they are, in order of ranking :

Jelena Jankovic
Marion Bartoli
Anabel Medina Garrigues
Magdelena Ryabarikova
Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez
Aravane Rezai
Tamarine Tanasugarn
Roberta Vinci
Petra Kvitova
Yanina Wickmayer

Two wildcard = probably Schnyder & Hantuchova

I'm hoping that A.Radwanska, Mauresmo, Ivanovic and Cibulkova can win an International title this year and qualify for this in order to bump this field up a bit as it doesn't seem to be the most enthralling of events! I'd say Bartoli and Medina Garrigues are pretty much secured berths in this tourny right now. And judging by how she's playing Jankovic too as it's gonna be hard for her to qualify for the YEC.

why those 2, is that just guess work or do you know something lol

CloudAtlas
Jun 21st, 2009, 10:32 AM
why those 2, is that just guess work or do you know something lol

Nah it's just cos Schnyder won the event last year and Daniela has done well there.

sammy01
Jun 21st, 2009, 10:37 AM
Nah it's just cos Schnyder won the event last year and Daniela has done well there.

oh ok lol ;)

martinafan
Jul 17th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Updated!
Azarenka and Martinez Sanchez only multiple winners. If either of them win another international event this year they will be eligible for the $1,000,000 bonus. However, Azarenka is unlikely to participate as she will make the YEC. So, Martinez Sanchez is the only person with a chance at the bonus.

itzhak
Jul 17th, 2009, 07:36 AM
You can put out Roberta Vinci who already won or other top Italian Players like Pennetta or Schiavone, they will not come to Bali even if they will win International tournament since the Fed Cup final is in the same week of Bali...

Wiggly
Jul 21st, 2009, 05:55 PM
Another update, if you don't mind.

Bold players are playing Doha, red players are playing Fed Cup.

Venus Williams
Elena Dementieva
Jelena Jankovic
Vera Zvonareva
Victoria Azarenka (2)
Caroline Wozniacki
Flavia Pennetta
Marion Bartoli
Anabel Medina Garrigues
Sybille Bammer
Agnes Szavay
Aravane Rezai
María José Martínez Sánchez (2)
Roberta Vinci
Magdalena Rybarikova
Yanina Wickmayer
Petra Kvitova
Tamarine Tanasugarn

So, as of July 20 rankings, Bali's field would be :

1. Wozniacki
2. Bartoli
3. Medina Garrigues
4. Bammer
5. Szavay
6. Rezai
7. Martínez Sánchez (2)
8. Rybarikova
9. Wickamyer
10. Kvitova

+ 2 WC.

DarkchildSwiss
Jul 21st, 2009, 06:19 PM
Hopefully Patty will be able to compete as she won here last year.

дalex
Jul 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM
:confused:

I thought that the YEC qualification rules have changed this year? It's not the Race but actual best of 16 WTA rankings that will give us 8 players for Doha... It probably won't change much as usually the top 8 in the Race at the end of the season are the same top 8 in actual rankings, but still...

Qualification and Attendance

a. Qualified Players - Singles

The Tournament shall consist of a singles draw of eight (8) players (including one (1) Wild Card, if applicable) in a round robin format to be determined by the WTA.

The top seven (7) players using the best of 16 ranking system, starting with the beginning of the Tour Year, shall qualify for the Sony Ericsson Championships. The qualification method will count the 51 weeks of events, dropping off the ranking points earned in the previous Sony Ericsson Championships the week prior to the current Sony Ericsson Championships.

At its sole discretion and taking into account extraordinary circumstances, the WTA may select the 8th player for participation in the singles draw. If the WTA does not exercise its option to select the 8th player, the 8th spot in the draw will be awarded to the player who is in the 8th position using the method described above

Fantasy Hero
Jul 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM
:tape: no MM slam for the MM Queen...:hug: Flavia

adner
Jul 21st, 2009, 07:21 PM
:confused:

I thought that the YEC qualification rules have changed this year? It's not the Race but actual best of 16 WTA rankings that will give us 8 players for Doha... It probably won't change much as usually the top 8 in the Race at the end of the season are the same top 8 in actual rankings, but still...
Bali is not YEC, it's a Battle For Mickey Mouse Queen's Crown Tournament :p

дalex
Jul 21st, 2009, 08:05 PM
Bali is not YEC, it's a Battle For Mickey Mouse Queen's Crown Tournament :p

I know that, but people in this thread are looking at the Race standings to see who's playing YEC 'cos that means they won't be playing Bali. But it's wrong - they should be looking at the rankings to see who's got the best chance of being in top 8 week before YEC.

For example - Wozniacki is 6th in the Race but 9th in the actual rankings. If it stays that way she will be playing Bali instead of YEC in Doha.

Jelena is 11th in the Race and 6th in WTA rankings and if she menages to stay top 7 [(or top 8) which I agree is almost impossible considering how many points she has to defend] she'll be playing in Doha (not Bali).

Wiggly
Jul 21st, 2009, 08:10 PM
I know that, but people in this thread are looking at the Race standings to see who's playing YEC 'cos that means they won't be playing Bali. But it's wrong - they should be looking at the rankings to see who's got the best chance of being in top 8 week before YEC.

For example - Wozniacki is 6th in the Race but 9th in the actual rankings. If it stays that way she will be playing Bali instead of YEC in Doha.

Jelena is 11th in the Race and 6th in WTA rankings and if she menages to stay top 7 [(or top 8) which I agree is almost impossible considering how many points she has to defend] she'll be playing in Doha (not Bali).

If I read correctly, the Race is for Doha (as it always been) and the rankings are for Bali. ATM, Wozniacki is playing Doha and Jankovic is heading to Indonesia.

дalex
Jul 21st, 2009, 08:17 PM
If I read correctly, the Race is for Doha (as it always been) and the rankings are for Bali. ATM, Wozniacki is playing Doha and Jankovic is heading to Indonesia.

I'll post it again:

The top seven (7) players using the best of 16 ranking system, starting with the beginning of the Tour Year, shall qualify for the Sony Ericsson Championships.

Sony Ericsson Championships = Doha
Best of 16 ranking system = WTA rankings (not Race)

:shrug:

adner
Jul 21st, 2009, 08:25 PM
Well, yeah, but current race standings indicate how the entry rankings will look like at the end of year :p

Wiggly
Jul 21st, 2009, 08:27 PM
I'll post it again:

Oh, really? You're right. What's the purpose of the Race then? :confused: I edited the update post.

In The Zone
Jul 21st, 2009, 08:33 PM
I'll post it again:

The Race is the Race to what the year-end rankings will look like. The Race rankings are formulated using the Best 16 method and change week to week as mandatories are played and players achieve better results to replace worse results.

The Race is no longer a cumulative measure of a player's results during the year.

The Top 7 women in the Race look pretty much solidified barring a few players going on hot streaks and those 7 falling off the radar. The 8th spot is up for grabs given Zvonareva's health and if the Serbs can find their old form.

дalex
Jul 21st, 2009, 08:33 PM
Oh, really? You're right. What's the purpose of the Race then? :confused: I edited the update post.

I'm not even sure I'm right... This is what it says on WTA website:

The Sony Ericsson Championships - Doha 2009 is the season-ending event of the 2009 Sony Ericsson WTA Tour season. The Top 8 singles players and Top 4 doubles teams in the Race to Doha are invited to compete based on results throughout the 2009 season.

Also the Race is called Race to the Sony Ericsson Championships (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/page/RaceToSECSingles/0,,12781~0~1~100,00.html).

It's really confusing. And I agree that it should be the Race that decides who plays YEC.

In The Zone
Jul 21st, 2009, 08:36 PM
The Race is just an easier gage to see who is doing well in 2009 and 2009 alone. It also does not include the 2008 YEC which the entry rankings would still have.

дalex
Jul 21st, 2009, 08:37 PM
The Race is the Race to what the year-end rankings will look like. The Race rankings are formulated using the Best 16 method and change week to week as mandatories are played and players achieve better results to replace worse results.

The Race is no longer a cumulative measure of a player's results during the year.

Oh. :lol:

In The Zone
Jul 21st, 2009, 08:37 PM
Bali looks like it will be a great tournament. With the two WCs going to Mauresmo and Sharapova, that will be such a fun event.

дalex
Jul 21st, 2009, 09:02 PM
OK, I get it now. I was partially right. They will use actual WTA best of 16 rankings without 2008 YEC points (those who had it in best 16 will have another tournament from 2009 in their best 16) - which is what Race is this year. Too confusing. :lol:

edit. Basically, you can keep using Race standings to see who's eligible for the YEC which means they won't be playing Bali.

As of July 20th:
Caro -> Doha
Jeca -> Bali

amirbachar
Sep 26th, 2009, 12:32 PM
update anyone?

drory
Sep 26th, 2009, 05:45 PM
shahar peer is well insid

drake3781
Oct 4th, 2009, 01:41 AM
What is the news on this given the recent results?

TS
Oct 4th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Well there are 3 more MM events to go (Linz, Osaka, Luxembourg)

We can rule out Safina, V.Williams, Dementieva, and Wozniacki cos they'll all qualify for the YEC. Jankovic and Azarenka will probably also qualify for YEC. Zvonareva may miss out on YEC (based on current form and Jankovic's latest surge), not too sure, but then she'll be top seed at Bali. Pennetta won't play because she has Fed Cup.

So looks like - Zvonareva(?), Bartoli, Medina Garrigues, Wickmayer, Peer, Martinez Sanchez, Czink, Rezai, Szavay, and Dushevina are the current top 10 in line to play Bali.

Hopefully some more higher ranked players win the next 3 to add a bit more flavour to this dud tournament.