PDA

View Full Version : Serena and That Beat(down)

Volcana
Apr 14th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I believe it was the 2005 OZ semi, Serena vs Maria Sharapova. I think the announcer was Tracy Austin, posters agree it was Mary Carillo, I stand corrected, who spent the almost the entire match talking about why Sharapova was better player, yet was eventually reduced to (I paraphrase) ..."Maria is playing better, but somehow Serena is winning"On paper, that's an absurdity. 'Winning' is the definition of 'playing better'. And I among many, ridiculed Austin after that match. But four years later, I find myself concluding Austin was not wrong.

Serena is, in many ways, this generation's Jimmy Connors. The greatest player? No. An obscenely dominant player for a short period time. Yes. A slam winner for quite awhile past the dominant period? Certainly.

But Connors was once quoted saying something I found telling. (again, I paraphrase) "It's not so much I want to win. I hate the expression on the other's guys face when I lose."

Now let's look at Serena vs her greatest rivalsSerena plays Venus -- there's so much history that Serena can NOT know she'll win. It is, in other words, a fair fight, in athletic terms.

Serena vs Jennifer Capriati -- Serena knows she facing someone who's hatred of losing equals her own. Honestly, I don't relate to that. I do my best and lose, I sleep okay. Serena and JCap both seem to carry the kind of baggage that makes losing .... I dunno. A permanent stain on the soul? Jimmy Connors, once Bjorn Borg surpassed him once said "I'll follow that sumbitch to the ends of the Earth"

Serena vs Maria Shararova -- Is Serena 'over' Wimbledon 2004? Yes. In a sense. That sense being Serena is back to believing she's the better player. But seems, almost, to approach playing Maria Sharapova like the Lady of the Manor who caught a scullery maid flirting with her eldest son. An example must be made.

Serena vs Azarenka -- It would be nice if this one went somewhere. But you can't make much out of three career matches. Now, if Serena doesn't drop a set at Roland Garros til she meets Azarenka in the semis, then losing 6-1, 6-2 .....

Veesus
Apr 14th, 2009, 10:37 PM
:help:

Pristine
Apr 14th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I believe it was the 2005 OZ semi, Seena vs Maria Sharapova. I think the announcer was Tracy Austin, who spent the almost the entire match talking about why Sharapova was better player, yet was eventually reduced to (I paraphrase) ...
"Maria is playing better, but somehow Serena is winning"
On paper, that's an absurdity. 'Winning' is the definition of 'playing better'. And I among many, ridiculed Austin after that match. But four years later, I find myself concluding Austin was not wrong.

Serena is, in many ways, this generation's Jimmy Connors. The greatest player? No. An obscenely dominant player for a short period time. Yes. A slam winner for quite awhile past the dominant period? Certainly.

But Connors was once quoted saying something I found telling. (again, I paraphrase) "It's not so much I want to win. I hate the expression on the other's guys face when I lose."

Now let's look at Serena vs her greatest rivals
Serena plays Venus -- there's so much history that Serena can NOT know she'll win. It is, in other words, a fair fight, in athletic terms.

Serena vs Jennifer Capriati -- Serena knows she facing someone who's hatred of losing equals her own. Honestly, I don't relate to that. I do my best and lose, I sleep okay. Serena and JCap both seem to carry the kind of baggage that makes losing .... I dunno. A permanent stain on the soul? Jimmy Connors, once Bjorn Borg surpassed him once said "I'll follow that sumbitch to the ends of the Earth"

Serena vs Maria Shararova -- Is Serena 'over' Wimbledon 2004? Yes. In a sense. That sense being Serena is back to believing she's the better player. But seems, almost, to approach playing Maria Sharapova like the Lady of the Manor who caught a scullery maid flirting with her eldest son. An example must be made.

Serena vs Azarenka -- It would be nice if this one went somewhere. But you can't make much out of three career matches. Now, if Serena doesn't drop a set at Roland Garros til she meets Azarenka in the semis, then losing 6-1, 6-2 .....

Commentator was Mary Carillo.
Serena and Sharapova definitely have bad blood even Davenport commented on it, so I place value in that.
Azarenka/Serena have only had one meeting that wasn't somewhat tainted by injury and it was 3 and 4 win by Serena with 15 aces. She served 15 aces and Azarenka still had BPs to get to 5 all in the second.

And how is Serena not the greatest player of this generation? Numbers don't lie, people do.

Sammm
Apr 14th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Did Carillo say Sharapova was playing better or that she was the better player? I've heard both suggested on this board. There's a difference.

Pristine
Apr 14th, 2009, 11:00 PM
She said Sharapova was now the better player and that she no longer believed that "only Serena can beat Serena." She was meaning more than this match. Also said Sharapova was "in Serena's head" and a bunch of other gems. Then, when Serena won she somehow still clinged on that Sharapova was better than Serena overall.

Sammm
Apr 14th, 2009, 11:03 PM
She said Sharapova was now the better player and that she no longer believed that "only Serena can beat Serena." She was meaning more than this match. Also said Sharapova was "in Serena's head" and a bunch of other gems. Then, when Serena won she somehow still clinged on that Sharapova was better than Serena overall.

Thanks :wavey: That's what I thought. Oh, dear Mary. :help:

fufuqifuqishahah
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Hm.....................................

Serena v. Sharapova

Depth of Shot = Sharapova
Fight = Debatably Equal
Power = Debatably Equal
Shot Consistency = Debatably Equal
Use of Angles and Variety = Serena
Footspeed/work = Serena
Netplay = Serena
Serve = Serena

hm....

Serena?

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Hm.....................................

Serena v. Sharapova

Depth of Shot = Sharapova
Fight = Debatably Equal
Power = Debatably Equal
Shot Consistency = Debatably Equal
Use of Angles and Variety = Serena
Footspeed/work = Serena
Netplay = Serena
Serve = Serena

hm....

Serena?

never...those go serena's way indefinitely

bobbynorwich
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:33 AM
http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_lame.gif

Slammer7
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:34 AM
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/thYEKeywZng&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/thYEKeywZng&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

She says it at the 6 minute mark on the dot. One of the strangest and most unnecessary statements ever.:tape::fiery:

http://www.hijinxcomics.com/images/comic_book_guy.jpg

Comic Book Guy says: "worst comment everrrrrrrr":lol:

Dawson.
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I’d add one to the list: Serena .vs. Ivanovic. I know they have only met 2 or 3 times, but their match this year in Dubai had such an intense feel to it. The ferocious hitting on Serena’s part was reminiscent of the recent times she has faced Sharapova - incredibly aggressive from the get go, very unlike Serena who these days works her way into her matches. Reasons behind this? I don’t think fear of losing is ever an issue with Serena, especially to Ivanovic! What’s interesting though is how Ivanovic upped her game to a level she hasn’t played at for months and hasn’t since.

Slammer7
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Oh, and one more thing Volcanoe- "The Beatdown Down-Under" was in 07 not 05.:devil:

Dawson.
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:54 AM
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/thYEKeywZng&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/thYEKeywZng&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

She says it at the 6 minute mark on the dot. One of the strangest and most unnecessary statements ever.:tape::fiery:

:lol: such an odd thing to say. Maybe she didn't want to contradict herself and look like an idiot :shrug: it backfired anyway

Also, I think this was the peak of Serena's hair! It looked awesome, really suited her

Volcana
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Look how insanely trim Serena is in that video!

Carillo said point blank, "I still think Sharapova is a better player." Love to hear her opinion now.Oh, and one more thing Volcanoe- "The Beatdown Down-Under" was in 07 not 05.:devil:Wasn't punning off that, but I can see how you'd think so.

2005 was the Carillo comment, which was where my head was at.
2007 was ..... what can I say? "The Beatdown Down-Under" sums it up.I’d add one to the list: Serena .vs. Ivanovic. I know they have only met 2 or 3 times, but their match this year in Dubai had such an intense feel to it.I'll go for that. Kinda felt bad for Ivanovic. She played sweet in that match. Had her movement working, the slice, dropshots, the forehands. You play like that and lose in straight sets, you think something's wrong with you. But that's how she should be playing, not this bang-bang-UE crap.

Alizé Molik
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Oh, and one more thing Volcanoe- "The Beatdown Down-Under" was in 07 not 05.:devil:

yeah that's what I was going to say. ;)

the comment was so stupid..she's talking like Serena is the #200 and no one expected her to win and she just played out of her mind to beat a good player, but probably never will again..it's Serena, she beats everyone..it's just so stupid and shows her obvious bias :help:

Donny
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:05 AM
http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_lame.gif

For someone's who's not a fan, you sure do lurk around in Serena threads a lot.

Volcana
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Netplay ....How about 'Needs Work' for both of them. If either of them had Ivanovic's hands at net, we'd be talking Grand Slam.