PDA

View Full Version : Family Circle Cup RD 1 - Wozniak def. Spears 6-3 4-6 6-0

Belmont Lad
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Aleks blew a big lead in the second set, but emphatically closed it out with the bagel in the third, allowing Spears just 7 points. :)

hablo
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Awesome!!! :banana:

Craig.
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Consistency is key. And that's really what she needs to work on.

Randy H
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Bit of a hiccup there in the second set, but glad she pulled it together and got the win :) Good luck against Oudin :)

pwayne
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Good recovery by Aleksandra in the deciding set.

LudwigDvorak
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Oudin 2R? Ponte Vedra final, Charleston 3R...who would she meet in the 3R potentially?

Marionated
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Oudin 2R? Ponte Vedra final, Charleston 3R...who would she meet in the 3R potentially?

Bartoli or Sevastova.

Wonderlander
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM
LudwigDvorak, potentially Bartoli
Yeah pretty good draw for Alex. New chance to shine brightly and climb up the ranking.

#kArLoS#
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:40 PM
:)

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Congrats Wozi! :)

Abi :hug: Nice job with getting a set though ;)

Vincey!
Apr 14th, 2009, 06:00 PM
haha that was one of the fastest set that I,ve ever seen Wozniak play haha she must have been well pissed to lose another lead haha
But good win! :D...Keep getting the results that she should have ;)

LindsayRulz
Apr 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Bravo Aleks :)

Dexter
Apr 14th, 2009, 06:26 PM
haha that was one of the fastest set that I,ve ever seen Wozniak play haha she must have been well pissed to lose another lead hahaThat's what I was thinking too. :lol:
Well done Ola, keep on winning! :kiss:

*Joey*
Apr 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Congrats Aleks! :yeah:

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 14th, 2009, 08:11 PM
2 Canucks in the second round :cheer:

hablo
Apr 14th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Wozniak also has a video on the Tour website, basically a cute little tour of her hotel room in Miami. She's not the least bit embarrassed about showing off the Montreal Canadiens' T-shirt, or the family photos, or the stacks of clothes, or anything else about her life.

:drool:

Ryan
Apr 14th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Good stuff Aleks, but lets close these matches out in two please! :o

Emina.
Apr 14th, 2009, 10:31 PM
:worship:

bobbynorwich
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:50 AM
Nice to see the media rallying behind a player, not a negative word.

Nice little article on Aleks heading into Charleston :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wozniak a rare well-adjusted tennis player

By Stephanie Myles, Canwest News Service April 14, 2009

MONTREAL- Even when she was a teenager it seemed that if Aleksandra Wozniak could get it done on the court, she was going to handle the rest of what goes with being a pro tennis player just fine.

You can't say that about many junior players - particularly girls. The good ones go into a protective little bubble at a young age. These days, many of them are home-schooled; they don't even get that little bit of teenage normalcy in their lives.

It's not a business with a track record of turning out socially skilled, well-adjusted adults. That's just the nature of the beast in an individual sport, with so much at stake.

But Wozniak always seemed a little different.

And here she stands at No. 29 this week in the WTA Tour computer rankings after her appearance in the final of the TPS Championships in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., on Sunday.

She's getting a lot of face time - not just at home, but everywhere. Opportunities are coming her way, and she's making the most of them. She has turned into a confident, realistic, mature 21-year-old who's dealing with all of this like she's been doing it her entire life.

Wozniak spent Monday in Charleston, S.C., doing some filming for the WTA Tour's Hero campaign - a welcome distraction after a busy week in Florida.

``I'm going to take it easy, take my mind off tennis,'' she said Sunday. ``They get players from all around the world to do it, with all our different styles, and it's good advertising for the Tour.''

There's no break; her next event, the Family Circle Cup, starts Tuesday.

Wozniak also has a video on the Tour website, basically a cute little tour of her hotel room in Miami. She's not the least bit embarrassed about showing off the Montreal Canadiens' T-shirt, or the family photos, or the stacks of clothes, or anything else about her life.

She also did a great job with a segment on the American Tennis Channel, part of a series called ``Bag Check'' where players basically empty out their big racket bags, with some pretty entertaining results. She has done photo shoots, and filmed a commercial for a Laval, Que., car dealer.

``It's really fun to do other things. People get to know you more,'' she said. ``And I feel it's the right time for me.''

Wozniak was always outgoing. She was never afraid to speak her mind. She grew up with a hard-driving, sometimes difficult father/coach - a familiar story, even if Antoni Wozniak, by tennis father standards, is a cupcake.

She handled it all deftly, defending him while still standing up to him. It was as though she sensed that even if his methods fell outside the typical Canadian junior career path, he had her going in the right direction.

At 21, it's paying off. If that's not exactly a speeded-up prodigy schedule, Wozniak has always said that everyone develops in their own time, their own way.

Wozniak kept her composure during her 6-1, 6-2 defeat to pal Caroline Wozniacki on Sunday, but she got choked up at the end of her on-court speech afterward.

``I was emotional. I had such great results this week after so little time, I didn't think it was possible,'' she said.

She missed five weeks with what she describes as a tear in the back of her right shoulder. She still has pain when she serves, which helps to explain the erratic serving and clusters of double-faults. But she's handling that, too.

Wozniak has a physical trainer with her, a Serbian named Milos Galecic. She's trying to do as much physical work and rehab as she can during this four- tournament swing through the U.S. without tiring the shoulder out too much for actual matches.

She also had former Canadian player Rob Steckley with her as a hitting partner; her mother, Jadwiga, was in Florida and also will be in Charleston this week.

And no matter what happens - and she'll have a hectic spring and summer, trying to match all the great results she put up last year - she's keeping her positive attitude.

``All of the hard work always pays off, no matter what you do in life. I try to do the best that I can each day. And off the court, I try to be the same person I always was - with a head on my shoulders, and just looking forward,'' she said. ``I'm getting close to my goal, which is top 20.''

Montreal Gazette

smyles@thegazette.canwest.com
© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service