PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had tendinitis in their knees?

selesfan1
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I think I have tendinitis in my knees and I do have an appointment to see the doctor on Friday so it's not like I am asking for a diagnosis from board members but I do have some questions.
I regularly workout. I stretch warm up a bit and then really go at it. I ran for 30 minutes on a treadmill did some other exercises and went home. I woke up a little sore in the knees the next day. I worked out again that day but as I progressed it became more difficult to run, lift etc.
The following day it hurt to walk and nothing ( ice, ibuprofen, etc) seemed to make it better. However, with rest it has gotten much better. However during the last few days it will be ok most of the day and get worse at night. It hasn't gotten as bad as it was the first days but it is still not 100%. Has this happened to anyone and if so what treatment/guidelines were you put on or followed?
I am worried because this really affects not only my sports but even regular walking becomes a bit of a chore.
Thanks

Kart
Apr 14th, 2009, 06:52 PM
You'll have to stop running until it gets better completely.

Regular anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen will help not just for pain.

nevetssllim
Apr 14th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I would definitely stop running. I had a really painful knee injury which I aggravated by continuing running on concrete and I ended up crutches.

woosey
Apr 14th, 2009, 09:20 PM
i had runner's knee when i started running. it's something that can happen if you don't take care of yourself properly, especially if you overdo your training. here are my recommendations:

use r.i.c.e. - rest, ice, compression, elevation religiously. at the very least, ice it about 20 minutes twice a day.

you must stop running. i know it's a drag but you've got to. i recently finished a marathon and then days later started running too much, too hard, too soon and got a quad strain. so, now i'm icing it, i recently bought some compression shorts to wear, and i'm doing yoga and i'm feeling better. though i'm not fully healed. i'll have to hold off on the running.

i would be careful with the painkillers. take if swelling maybe but they mask the problem.

the thing that really stopped my runner's knee issues was getting the right pair of running shoes. i've been running in the same shoes (brand/model) for several years and the only time i get a little feeling in my knee is when i don't switch to newer shoes fast enough and when i up my running significantly (as when i was training for my marathon recently). but i still finished the marathon without any pain whatsoever until of course i overdid it and hurt my quad days later. i feel so stupid.

go to runnersworld.com. you'll be able to get answers to most of your injury related questions.