PDA

View Full Version : How Much Are Umpires Paid?

Mashabator
Apr 14th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I was just wondering... i reckon it would be an okay job, getting to travel and watch tennis ;D
Does anyone know?

mashamaniac
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Last year i was reading an article on BBC website it said the umpires will be paid a maximum of $ 50.000 a year with linesmen a max of 30.000 dollars!! of course i'm not sure how do they get paid weekly or yearly??

Mashabator
Apr 15th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Last year i was reading an article on BBC website it said the umpires will be paid a maximum of $ 50.000 a year with linesmen a max of 30.000 dollars!! of course i'm not sure how do they get paid weekly or yearly??

Linesman get 30,000???

rockstar
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:38 PM
do linesman travel around to work regularly?
i always thought that the linesman were from the region of the tournmanet. :scratch:

frenchie
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Linesmen are not paid

BTW how much is John Dolan paid??
lol

tennnisfannn
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:28 PM
That's not much at all.

mashamaniac
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Linesmen are not paid

BTW how much is John Dolan paid??
lol

You can ask an official to see whether they get paid or not!!? :angel:

BTW-Even ball boys/girls are paid!!! so don't think linesmen travel for nothing! :lol:

croat123
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:59 PM
^^
their travel/hotels are covered, but that salary and the perks only goes to the very top umpires. i'm sure anyone we don't see regularly on tv is making next to nothing

mashamaniac
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
do linesman travel around to work regularly?
i always thought that the linesman were from the region of the tournmanet. :scratch:

Yes,they do. i've seen many linesmen regularly in many tournaments... :eek:

serenus_2k8
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Top umpires get top hotels, luxury flights and a nice salary to top it off.

frenchie
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I know some line judges who work in the Luxembourg tourny every year and they are normal people with a normal job
They don't get paid

I doubt professionnal line judges exist

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Yes,they do. i've seen many linesmen regularly in many tournaments... :eek:

u mean in the US ?
thats cos they are from the same body thats responsible for them
they send out linespeople/umpires to all their events.

linespeople are paid expenses only, they get food, accomodation covered.
Umnpires, depends on what level.
there's a few Full time Officials who do umpiring on both tours.
Gold Level Umpires paid the most.

miffedmax
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Officials, at least for USTA events, get paid at every level. Not a lot.

I've never worked at pro events (still getting enough certifications/credits). But let me tell you, working juniors, we earn every cent. And then some.

(I'm kidding. 98% of the matches the kids are courteous, well-behaved, honest and very much learning the sportsmanship and principles our sport is supposed to teach. The other 2% :mad: ).

miffedmax
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Oh, I forgot. We pull in a whopping $15.00 an hour. (I think--I'd have to check my last paystub).

QuicKyMonSter
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Lines people are paid (I'm one). At least in Spain and Portugal. Something like €15/match. They also give you accommodation and food for the week.
I also looked into working at Eastbourne/ATP Queen's but they only gave you free acco+food.
Don't know how it works in the rest of the world, though I know in Canada you get paid too (a poster from this board has worked as a linesman there)

tiptop
Apr 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
In tennis and marriage, husband-and-wife umpires respect the rules of the game

While most tennis linespeople feel the pressure of being corrected by the overhead video scoreboard, Norm Chryst has a much higher authority to answer to.

Chryst, one of just three full-time salaried chair umpires used by the ATP for tournaments around the world, has had the delicate task of overruling his wife, Palma, one of the most respected line umpires on either pro circuit.

The couple downplays this rarely played-out scenario when a husband can correct a wife and she isn't even allowed to respond — at least while on the court.

"I have overruled her and haven't heard one word," said Norm Chryst, 62, who along with Palma will be working the most important matches at the Sony Ericsson Open during the next 12 days.

to continue reading follow the link: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/other/sfl-flsptennisumps24sbmar24,0,2083857.story

Esther
Apr 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM
In Stuttgart a ballboy/ girl gets 15 € everyday. The linesmen get 13 € every day. They don't travel to every tournament. They make it just for fun like the ballboys/girls.

Kipling
Apr 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I thought that there was a small group of umpires certified or approved for the pro tours, maybe 30-50 tops. I remember seeing that on a program about the tour umps on the Tennis Channel a few years ago. If true, I would think they'd be paid a lot more than $50K a year, as that's a pretty small and select group that would qualify for and get to work the top level tour matches. Plus, they have to be somewhat multi-lingual, no? It's a lot of work for $50K a year.

tonythetiger
Apr 15th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I didn't know ball kids got paid. I don't believe that's the case at a lot of tournaments.

I have seen this one big belly linsman at several tournaments on TV as well as the RCA Championship in Indianapolis. Looks like he's eating whatever earnings he gets.

wales1994
Apr 15th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Isn't there like a system in umpriring like Gold, Silver and Bronze! the level your at means how much you get paid and what matches you can umpire there's only like 50 Gold umpires inthe world i think they get paid top dollar, all inclusive in the hotels etc the rest don't get paid allot at all :help:

selesfan1
Apr 15th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I was a ballkid for 3 years at a WTA event and I never got paid. I got a T-shirt and $10.00 to go to the concession stand on the days I worked. I was expected to provide my own white shorts and predominantly white tennis shoes. If they weren't white enough, they wouldn't take you.
At a satellite event final I did, I got a T-shirt and got to go to a Pizza party afterwards.
Looking at it now it was pretty bad, especially the WTA event. They should have some universal standards for ballkids. At some events if they have a sponsor like Adidas or Fila they get shoes,socks,shorts,shirts,hats, and outerwear if its cold and they get to keep all of it afterward.I'd love to be a ballkid for one of those events especially if the sponsor was Lacoste or something like that.
At Ladies Professional Golf Associaiton events, as a volunteer you get treated very nicely. Of course you pay anywhere from $40-$80 for a volunteer package.You get something like 2 polo shirts (some events you get Vineyard Vines brand $70-$100 per shirt), outerwear piece or hat, free meals ( real meals, not like nachos and hot dogs), a volunteer party, free round of golf at the club, and 2-3 tickets for the week or sessions you work.
Anyhow, at least in Oklahoma the umpires I know get paid but only for the times they work and most of them are coaches at local colleges and universities,club pros or retirees.

Wtrain
Apr 15th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Why would anyone want to be a linesman or a ball kid?....Sure it might be fun, but you don't get paid much and you get shit on by egotistical players. :lol:

Esther
Apr 15th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Oh my. I got two Lacost T-shirts, lacoste shoes, a lacoste skirt, a lacoste trousers and two sweatband. I also could eat and drink everything i wanted.

Esther
Apr 15th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Why would anyone want to be a linesman or a ball kid?....Sure it might be fun, but you don't get paid much and you get shit on by egotistical players. :lol:

Its really nice to be so close to maybe your favorite player. It's really awesome to give her the towel when she was your favorite player over all the years. You were watching your favorite player on tv all the time and all of a sudden she's in front of you. thats an awesome feeling.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:00 PM
At least for the USTA challenger events, umpires are paid anywhere from $500-$1,000 for the entire tournament (usually 8 or 9 days). This depends on whether it's a satellite or challenger, and what level of challenger. They have accomodation and meals completely covered, but they have to pay for the flight.

serenus_2k8
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Oh, I wouldnt get out of bed for that :p Seriously though, thats low.

miffedmax
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think very many people who do officiate in some capacity do it for the money. For me, personally, I like to officiate juniors because I enjoy working with kids, helping them learn more about the game (there's explaining rules and other things) and I want to see the sport grow.

Believe me, by the time you factor in driving, paying for your gear, going to your training, etc. it's very much a break-even proposition. It's another way of enjoying the game of tennis.

sammy01
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:48 PM
for oficiating some player not enough

Zauber
Apr 15th, 2009, 07:14 PM
thank you for the info and your work.
Thank you all officials.
much appreciated.

youizahoe
Apr 15th, 2009, 07:15 PM
* Umpires are paid, regardlessly which level they play.

* Linesmen get paid too. I have a friend that does it and she gets like 2k a month without taxes.

* Proximus/Belgacom paid the ballgirls-boys 50EUR a day during the Proximus Diamond Games 2007.

PointBlank
Apr 15th, 2009, 07:41 PM
BTW-Even ball boys/girls are paid!!! so don't think linesmen travel for nothing! :lol:

At the US Open and big tournaments maybe, I worked seven years as a ball kid for the Memphis tournament and never saw a dime.

tenn_ace
Apr 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Top umpires get top hotels, luxury flights and a nice salary to top it off.

bunch of bull. they get the same hotels all officials get when hired for the tournament. and they fly economy unless they upgrade themselves since they get a lot of miles flying all over the world. don't say anything if you don't know what you are talking about.

tenn_ace
Apr 15th, 2009, 08:32 PM
at the US Open linesmen are paid $135/day+hotel+meals provided+reasonable travel expenses. at smaller tournaments pay is CONSIDERABLY lower.

chair umpires are paid per day based on the badge, but gold badges are salaried