PDA

View Full Version : Agnieszka Radwańska about ranking, 'crisis' of seeds and leadership in womens' tennis

Caipirinha Guy
Apr 14th, 2009, 08:59 AM
You're ill again?

Unfortunately, just after come back from Miami where was 45 degrees, I got some infection. In Krakow, it is spring too but it's colder of course. Before I happened to be ill once in the year. But since January I've steadily got some diseases. I feel as if all viruses it the air had to catch me.

Do you feel some pain because of loosing the spot in TOP 10?

Please, don't be kidding, 11 rank is not a disaster. I'm astonished with the laments, this hot counting of points after each tournament - who's up, who's down. I don't agonize over that. There are two different worlds who think about moves in the ranking oppositely: us, the players and whole rest - parents, coaches, media. I know that the presence in the top obliges, you must regularely be in the quarterfinals. Spot in ranking is important at the end of the season because it decides who goes to Masters. Week after week everything changes.

Lately it's been changing to often, it looks that all top players are having the crisis.

Tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami showed that favourites can loose as well. It was some plague - seeds were out in the initial rounds. And it seemed that scores on the hardcourts were not so unpredictable like on the soft surface. Sometimes in the changing mess there's getting a big mess, all players run to the TV set, because the bombshell is coming - the favourite is in trouble. But after five minutes, the amazement goes down. We all know that the opponent can play tennis. Even if she was 50 or 100 in the ranking, she came on the court to win. And media suddenly are making the thesis about the crisis.

It is nice to describe such personalities who win everything, like Justin Henin in the past.

She was a real leader. Now there's no such a person. I think that TOP 20 has the similar level of play. Everything else is the matter of the day, balls, court or weather.

by Przegląd Sportowy / translated by Martin S.

Caipirinha Guy
Apr 14th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Sometimes in the changing mess there's getting a big mess, all players run to the TV set, because the bombshell is coming - the favourite is in trouble.

:lol:

Josh.
Apr 14th, 2009, 09:16 AM
It's a good attitude to have, not worrying about the rankings and just knowning that they will take care of itself.

Costanza
Apr 14th, 2009, 09:18 AM
:yeah:Radwanska:worship:

дalex
Apr 14th, 2009, 09:18 AM
:lol: @ the bombshell quote.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 14th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Do you feel some pain because of loosing the spot in TOP 10?

Please, don't be kidding, 11 rank is not a disaster. I'm astonished with the laments, this hot counting of points after each tournament - who's up, who's down. I don't agonize over that. There are two different worlds who think about moves in the ranking oppositely: us, the players and whole rest - parents, coaches, media. I know that the presence in the top obliges, you must regularely be in the quarterfinals. Spot in ranking is important at the end of the season because it decides who goes to Masters. Week after week everything changes.

I love these comments. I think the people on these forum worry so much more about a players ranking than do the players themselves. It's crazy. I mean I'm a Radwanka fan myself but why should I worry about whether she is ranked 10 or 11 when it obviously doesn't worry Aga herself. It's like all the fuss that is going on about Safina getting to number one. It is probably a bigger deal to some of the posters on this board than it is to the players. Crazy really. At the end of the day, I think the players worry a lot more about their form and especially their health than they do about their rankings.

Slutiana
Apr 14th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Lol at the bombshell. :rolls: I am starting to like her, she seems quite cool. :D

sunsfuns
Apr 14th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I love these comments. I think the people on these forum worry so much more about a players ranking than do the players themselves. It's crazy. I mean I'm a Radwanka fan myself but why should I worry about whether she is ranked 10 or 11 when it obviously doesn't worry Aga herself. It's like all the fuss that is going on about Safina getting to number one. It is probably a bigger deal to some of the posters on this board than it is to the players. Crazy really. At the end of the day, I think the players worry a lot more about their form and especially their health than they do about their rankings.
#1 or #2 is a much bigger deal than #10 or #11.;)
The latter is important only if you've never been in the top 10 before.

AnnaK_4ever
Apr 14th, 2009, 11:49 AM
[B]Please, don't be kidding, 11 rank is not a disaster.

Of course, with your obsession with MM tournaments it's a God's blessing for you, Aga.

dawid
Apr 14th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Of course, with your obsession with MM tournaments it's a God's blessing for you, Aga.

:lol:

AndreConrad
Apr 14th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Agnieszka's level of worry is obviously not too high since she is taking quite a long break from playing tournaments. I hope she will do well during the clay season and I hope the viruses will finally leave here alone; they are becoming an annoying nonsense.

Caipirinha Guy
Apr 14th, 2009, 12:24 PM

She can't play MM tournaments this year because she was in the TOP10 at the end of 2008. Azarenka and Petrova can play and Sharapova can't. Quite strange.:rolleyes:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM
its never ever been 45C is Miami :lol:
it gets to 32 or so and there's a thunderstorm/heavy rain

AndreConrad
Apr 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
its never ever been 45C is Miami :lol:
it gets to 32 or so and there's a thunderstorm/heavy rain
High humidity level in Miami often makes it feel like the temperature is higher than it really is; especially for a person coming from moderate climate zone. All she is trying to do is reason why she gets sick so easily this year and obviously speculates what may be causing it.

Marshmallow
Apr 14th, 2009, 12:41 PM
It is nice to describe such personalities who win everything, like Justin Henin in the past.

She was a real leader. Now there's no such a person. I think that TOP 20 has the similar level of play. Everything else is the matter of the day, balls, court or weather.

*sigh* How things changes. Not that long ago players would run to the bathroom at the mention on Williams. I would so love to see the sisters find a consistent good level of play.

Ah well, I'll take longevity however it comes. :)

miffedmax
I know what you mean Aga. Seems like I've had a virus all year long, too!

AnnaK_4ever
She can't play MM tournaments this year because she was in the TOP10 at the end of 2008. Azarenka and Petrova can play and Sharapova can't. Quite strange.:rolleyes:

:bs:

She only needs to be ranked outside top-10 after Wimbledon.

Inger67
Apr 14th, 2009, 04:23 PM
:bs:

She only needs to be ranked outside top-10 after Wimbledon.

That's probably her goal :):lol:

Jk I like Aga, I just want to see her do well at the bigger events.

Pristine
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Picturing players running to the set to see their draw section open up.

Leo_DFP
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Often her tennis and on-court attitude bore me, but I do like her personality and frank candor in these interviews. It's refreshing. She's a very smart girl who thinks for herself, and tha's what will make her successful in the greater game of life.

AndreConrad
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I know what you mean Aga. Seems like I've had a virus all year long, too!
I am sure the virus has bangs ;)

Yonexforever
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM
She seems sweet enough.
I beg differ with her though on who is winning.
One just has to look at the last 6 or so grand slams and see who is winning them!
No one is going to care about Andalucia next month much less in 10 years!

tenn_ace
Apr 14th, 2009, 08:03 PM
omg wow she managed to go through an interview without bashing any player :eek:

Craig.
Apr 14th, 2009, 08:05 PM
She's so annoying.

Horrible translation btw.

Caipirinha Guy
Apr 14th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Horrible translation btw.

Senk ju wery macz!:hearts:

charmedRic
Apr 14th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I <3 Agnieszka!

starin
Apr 14th, 2009, 10:13 PM
You're ill again?

So according to Aga, Anabel Medina Garrigues has a similar level to Serena Williams
:spit:

I like Aga cuz she speaks her mind but that's some nonsense right there. Although with Serena injured I guess AMG could beat Serena Williams :tape:

jjcrew#1
Apr 14th, 2009, 10:14 PM

yeah very true i mean if the players do not worry abvout why should we!

jjcrew#1
Apr 14th, 2009, 10:15 PM
She seems sweet enough.
I beg differ with her though on who is winning.
One just has to look at the last 6 or so grand slams and see who is winning them!
No one is going to care about Andalucia next month much less in 10 years!

Well maybe you wont but guess what some might! i mean if your favorite won you would be happy and excited and remember it for a while! :fiery: :rolleyes:

rjd1111
Apr 15th, 2009, 12:43 AM
*sigh* How things changes. Not that long ago players would run to the bathroom at the mention on Williams. I would so love to see the sisters find a consistent good level of play.

Ah well, I'll take longevity however it comes. :)

Trust me! No player in the WTA jumps for joy when they

see " Williams " next to their name on a playcard.

No matter what they say.

bobbynorwich
Apr 15th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Often her tennis and on-court attitude bore me, but I do like her personality and frank candor in these interviews. It's refreshing. She's a very smart girl who thinks for herself, and that's what will make her successful in the greater game of life.

Yes, she is refreshing, smart, and outspoken. Sometimes being smart and outspoken upsets the established order. Some people can't or won't handle that too well.

Golovinjured.
Apr 15th, 2009, 09:43 AM
I'm liking her more and more, she just speaks her mind. None of this 'happy smiles for the media' bullshit. Odd that she think TOP 20 are all the same level, and it just comes down to the weather, bounce etc etc. No recognition for Serena at all? I even know she's a level above and I hate her.

AndreConrad
Apr 15th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I'm liking her more and more, she just speaks her mind. None of this 'happy smiles for the media' bullshit. Odd that she think TOP 20 are all the same level, and it just comes down to the weather, bounce etc etc. No recognition for Serena at all? I even know she's a level above and I hate her.
I think what she means by saying "similar" is that if any of the top 20 face each other one cannot be cartain to any degree at the moment who will win, even if Serena is one of the two. Obviously statement like that similar to any generalization cannot be 100% correct.

Golovinjured.
Apr 15th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I think what she means by saying "similar" is that if any of the top 20 face each other one cannot be cartain to any degree at the moment who will win, even if Serena is one of the two. Obviously statement like that similar to any generalization cannot be 100% correct.

Yeah, the translation probably didn't make it completely clear. I know what she meant, though. On ones day, #20 is capable of beating #1, which is fair. Just thought she'd have mentioned Serena, in relevence to Henin and how she used to lead the tour. Maybe Serena doesn't have the same impact or intimidation on the other players, well maybe not as much as I thought anyway.

2Black
Apr 15th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Earth to Radwanska - you need certain players to have an OFF day for you to have any chance of winning. I'm just sayin...

Malva
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM
So according to Aga, Anabel Medina Garrigues has a similar level to Serena Williams
:spit:

I like Aga cuz she speaks her mind but that's some nonsense right there. Although with Serena injured I guess AMG could beat Serena Williams :tape:

It is precarious to make such sweeping comments based on imperfect translations of something that you even don't know where it appeared.

TSequoia01
Apr 15th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Yeah, the translation probably didn't make it completely clear. I know what she meant, though. On ones day, #20 is capable of beating #1, which is fair. Just thought she'd have mentioned Serena, in relevence to Henin and how she used to lead the tour. Maybe Serena doesn't have the same impact or intimidation on the other players, well maybe not as much as I thought anyway.
Tournament in and tournament out she is correct. Serena wins only a few of the tournaments each year. But come slam time looms quite large. There is where she enters many players thoughts.