PDA

View Full Version : I'm in Charleston, but it's hard to make contact

partbrit
Apr 14th, 2009, 03:43 AM
The hotel we are staying in has a wireless connection that is a joke, except it isn't very funny. We have tried everything we know to get it to work right, including talking with a technical support person, and having one of the managers talk with another technical support person. We were told that the hotel is switching to Comcast on Tuesday, and "everything will be fine." Only that isn't exactly the truth: There is a 2 p.m. meeting on Tuesday, but no one knows when the change will actually take place. Right now I am in the lobby because--sometimes--the wireless kind of works there. It rarely works in our room. We can't move to another hotel because there aren't any. The same thing happened last year--the cable in our hotel wouldn't work (the staff didn't even care), but we got very lucky and found a room in a hotel with a good wireless connection--someone must have just cancelled.

At any rate, I haven't checked in here much because it is nearly impossible for me to get to the forum, even when I can get an Internet connection. I thought I'd take this opportunity to say that--despite my disappointment with some aspects (http://womenwhoserve.blogspot.com/2009/04/charleston-blues.html) of this Family Circle Cup--today was a really good day, and I enjoyed the tennis quite a bit. The weather is cool, my allergy isn't bothering me, and I believe there is going to continue to be good tennis, regardless of the tournament's problems.

I have several reports of different kinds posted on the blog (http://womenwhoserve.blogspot.com). Please feel free to continue asking any questions you have, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Infiniti2001
Apr 14th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Can you get on wired? Try updating your wireless adapter drivers. It may or may not help :shrug:

partbrit
Apr 14th, 2009, 04:19 AM
It has nothing to do with my computer. This is happening to everyone in the hotel. We are all disgusted. Thanks for trying to help, though.

Caillou
Apr 14th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Any updates on venus would be great! thanks in advance!

Volcana
Apr 14th, 2009, 04:54 AM
The hotel we are staying in has a wireless connection that is a joke, except it isn't very funny. We have tried everything we know to get it to work right, including talking with a technical support person, and having one of the managers talk with another technical support person.This may seem odd, but try it.

A lot of hotels have weird security settings. Trying moving to a lower security level. I stayed last summer at a Hamptom in, and hsad the exact problem you're describing, righ up to no help from tech support. On day 2, UI got to discussing this problem with the girl (she's easily 20 years yonger than me, so forgive the 'girl') who was on the night desk. She told me to dial down my security settings to medium, and that would fix the problem. And it did. When I asked her why she knew thatm and tech support didn't, it turned out that she and her boyfriend had a fledgling software business. In other words, I got lucky.

If you're like me, you'e got you security setting set as high as possible. Which is a good idea. But in a lot of hotel chains, it just doesn't work. Trying moving you security to medium, and see if you connect better. Then decide if the increased risk is worth it. If there's a Panera Bread nearby, there wireless broadband works even with ultra-tight internet security.

BTW, sine you're there, get off Daniel Island and visit not only Charleston, but Mount Pleasant as well. Rent a car if you have to. It's worth it.

a) Charleston's gorgeous.

b) This is the heart of history of the USA. Charleston was the major port from bring slaves into the USA. It's where the first major battle of civil war was fought.

c) Get over the bridge and visit Mount Pleasant. You can't tell now, but a mere forty years a go, that was the unincorporated un-service Charleston suburb where the Blacks lived. Now, it's the probably the most valued, (because of development potential) land in South Carolina.

d) The food. Go out every damn night. You'll go home fifteen pound heavier, but it's worth it.

partbrit
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Volcana, thanks very much for the tip. I had already brought my security settings down a notch, but I have another notch to decrease before I reach "low," so I just tried that. I'll let you know how it goes. Right now everything is fine because most people here are asleep and not trying to get on the Internet. I'll have a better idea in the morning.

We always stay in Mt. Pleasant, though in 2005, I stayed in Summerville. In 2006, we stayed at the Old Post House, which I really like, but we didn't return because of poor Internet connection. However, we eat there at least twice when we visit Mt. Pleasant. We ate there Friday night, in fact. In 2007, we stayed at a b&b whose name I forget, which was very, very nice, but I couldn't tolerate the very intrusive manager. Last year we had to move out of Homewood Suites because of the non-functioning Internet, and we were lucky, as I mentioned above, to find a room at Comfort Inn (or whatever it is called), where we should have gone this year. We looked for a good price, and wound up somewhere else.

We really haven't spent much time in Charleston because we are at the tournament all the time. However, last night we met old friends downtown and ate at a very good restaurant, Poogan's Porch, on Queen Street.

Caillou, I'll get you some Venus news as soon as I have any. She's around, but I haven't seen her yet.

Volcana
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Volcana, thanks very much for the tip. I had already brought my security settings down a notch, but I have another notch to decrease before I reach "low," so I just tried that. I'll let you know how it goes.No prob.

While you're there, find some place with a good 'raw bar'. Best thing about Charleston is the seafood is fresh every single day. If you want to go to the trouble, you can watch them catch the shrimp before you eat them.

This is kind of a 'next year' tip, but if you're in a position to extend your vacation, Savannah, GA, a couple hours down the road, is well worth the trip too. But only if you can stay the night, so you can drive down, see the sights, eat, sleep,a nd seemore sights before taking off. If you just go down for a couple hours, I guarantee you'll be kicking yourself all year. Southern cities can be the definition of charm, if you've got the time. And I'm speaking as somebody Black in an interracial relationship, so I know the downsides all too well.

partbrit
Apr 14th, 2009, 02:52 PM
While you're there, find some place with a good 'raw bar'.

I hardly ever eat seafood anymore, but I live in the New Orleans area, so going to a raw bar somewhere else--when I used to do that--was generally a disappointment! I hear everything is very good in Charleston, however. I haven't been to Savannah in years...I understand it's still very nice.

Volcana, lowering my security settings even more made no difference at all. If I go to the lobby (where I am now), disconnect my wireless, restart my machine and chant, I can get on. The front desk manager now assures us the Comcast switch is taking place this afternoon, so I hope that by the time I come home tonight, all will be well. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

SoClose
Apr 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM
ure lucky !!! :P