PDA

View Full Version : Do people overreact and get easily offended in internet forums?

fufuqifuqishahah
Apr 14th, 2009, 01:01 AM
I have participated in many internet forums, and because of the absence of visual communication and aural nuance, as well as the ability to take on a different persona simply by writing style and formatting, it seems to me it becomes much easier to misinterpret people's posts and also assume people behave a certain way.

Therefore, especially when people are not in the best of moods, people will assume certain negative things about posters and their posts and will get so easily and personally offended by something that in reality, has little harm.

What do you guys think???????????? :tape:

Sally Struthers
Apr 14th, 2009, 01:42 AM
yes but people also write here what they would never say in the face of another person :lol:

Pasta-Na
Apr 14th, 2009, 01:44 AM
well, i always get a bad rep from a particular poster here each month. :shrug:

kiwifan
Apr 14th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Of course :spit:, no one is going to punch you in the nose for having a big tantrum :bigcry: online. :shrug:

This is the perfect venue for "whinging wimps" to snap :shout:at anyone who fails to validate their world view. :tape:

yes but people also write here what they would never say in the face of another person :lol:

Also berry berry true. :tape:

doni1212
Apr 14th, 2009, 02:45 AM

You took the words right out of my mouth. So true, :yeah:

darrinbaker00
Apr 14th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. We're all strangers here, so I see no reason why anyone should take posts so personally.

Svetlana.
Apr 14th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. We're all strangers here, so I see no reason why anyone should take posts so personally.

but in many cases you do :lol:

Kart
Apr 14th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I cry myself to sleep at night after reading this board.

-Ph51-
Apr 14th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I cry myself to sleep at night after reading this board.

alone? :devil:

Kart
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I'm offended by that question.

Helen Lawson
Apr 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
As much as I'd love to trash 90% of the posters here, I have posted on some non-sports boards with an older demographic, and it's just as petty and immature and ridiculous. I think it's the nature of the Internet or something.

sammy01
Apr 14th, 2009, 06:58 PM
sarcasm dosen't come across well on the internet either lol.

i guess the forums are what life would be like if freedom of speach was a real thing, you decide if you prefer it?!

Sally Struthers
Apr 14th, 2009, 07:08 PM
As much as I'd love to trash 90% of the posters here, I have posted on some non-sports boards with an older demographic, and it's just as petty and immature and ridiculous. I think it's the nature of the Internet or something.

the forums at hotstockmarket.com and ihub are just as bad (minus the gays) and they're all adults :sobbing: