PDA

View Full Version : Seles - My Eating Binge Hell

karenwalker2
Apr 13th, 2009, 09:03 AM
In today paper there is an article about Monica Seles eating problem. It says

"Former tennis star Monica Seles has spoken for the first time about her 9 year battle with an eating disorder.

Seles said she started binge eating after being knifed in the shoulder by a Steffi Graf fan during a 1993 match. And former world number one turned to food to cope with her fathers death in 1998.

Yugoslavia-born Seles said: Food became my best friend. I was lonely and would just eat. It was my coping mechanis.Food was how i dealt with stress.

Her Weight battles werent helped as she compared herself to slim Russian Anna Kournikova. Seles put on 35lbs in 2003.

cherseles
Apr 13th, 2009, 09:30 AM
How sad.
She lost her weight after she retired.:sad:

SM
Apr 13th, 2009, 09:33 AM
MONICA:sad::awww:

SV_Fan
Apr 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM
MONICA :sad:

faboozadoo15
Apr 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM
:confused: She did not put in 35 lbs in 2003.

Maybe 1993...

sonnys
Apr 13th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Monica had some weight problems after the stabbing but she start lost weight around in 1998-99, but a big deal, i wouldnt make it!! Monica always have looked fine to me, and who wouldnt eat after what shes been through..:sad:

karenwalker2
Apr 13th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I thought it was a bit random as they then went on to talk about her being on strictly come dancing.

sonnys
Apr 13th, 2009, 09:56 AM
:confused: She did not put in 35 lbs in 2003.

Maybe 1993...

Rather 94 or 96 cause i have videointerview where she looks slim in dec 93;)

Kuilli
Apr 13th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Her new book is coming out this month, where she apparently talk about all that.

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Grip-Body-Mind-Self/dp/1583333304/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239617442&sr=1-1

sammy01
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM
now wheres that poster that argued with me that her eating problems and weight gain werent directly attributed to tennis and the stabbing, now shes free of both shes in great shape. i hate it when posters comment on shit they know nothing about.

karenwalker2
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:22 AM
She said that she realised she was better after taking part in strictly come dancing. She said even though she was upset by their comments she didnt need to eat. Its nice that she feels she is better. i can not imagine how difficult it must have been going through all that.

Keadz
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Life must have been a struggle with her millions of dollars.

sammy01
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:24 AM

cus we all know money = happiness :wavey:

Slutiana
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Umm, no... She wrote all about it in her first autobiography, From Fear To Vicror or w.e its called.

Tripp
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:29 AM

Did you happen to know that the richer you get, it is quite usual that the more miserable you become? Money doesn't mean happiness at all. Specially when you're a pro tennis player who doesn't have many chances to actually enjoy that money. It's all about training and playing matches, not much more than that. Talk about an empty life -though I guess not much more than yours, judging from your comment-.

I would've turned to cigarrettes Monica :p But she looked just fine to me. Her new stunning look is just a plus.

SM
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:53 AM
im proud of the fact she has gotten in shape, if only she had lost this weight in about 98 or 99 she might've won another slam :( i.e french 98!!

i can't wait to read this book, yes the first book dealt with the weight issue but this book seems wider in scope so while it might cover some of the same stuff im sure we will get much more insight in to everything else she went through :)

Sam L
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:25 PM
She reminds me so much of Oksana Baiul (Figure Skater) who had her own personal demons. I'm so glad that both have found peace now.

You're the best Monica!

barmaid
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Nobody knows the psychological damage Monica suffered after her stabbing...imagine everyday thinking about how somebody "hated" you so much they were willing to kill you in front of thousands of witnesses:sad:.....then she "lost" her father another blow :sad: then she appeared trim and really glamorous on "Dancing With the Stars":hearts: only to lose in the first round because she couldn't freaking dance?:help: Poor Monica, she should have been a pork barrel but she got through all her trials and tribulations...I just wish her contentment and happiness from now on...:worship:

Barmaid:wavey:

azza
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Fast metabolism ftw

bobbynorwich
Apr 13th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Her new book is coming out this month, where she apparently talk about all that.

http://rover.ebay.com/ar/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?mpt=2041534386&adtype=1&size=1x1&type=3&campid=5336105959&toolid=10001 http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Grip-Body-Mind-Self/dp/1583333304/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239617442&sr=1-1 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FGetting-Grip-Body-Mind-Self%2Fdp%2F1583333304%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1%3Fie%3DUTF8% 26amp%3Bs%3Dbooks%26amp%3Bqid%3D1239617442%26amp%3 Bsr%3D1-1&tag=5336105959-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325)

Title?

karenwalker2
Apr 13th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Title?

i believe it is called 'Getting a Grip'

DA FOREHAND
Apr 13th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Monica had some weight problems after the stabbing but she start lost weight around in 1998-99, but a big deal, i wouldnt make it!! Monica always have looked fine to me, and who wouldnt eat after what shes been through..:sad:

lots of people don't eat to soothe their stress.

Helen Lawson
Apr 13th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Money can't make you happy, but it can make being miserable a hell of a lot nicer.

Veritas
Apr 13th, 2009, 02:30 PM
It's sad when we compare a pre-1993 to a post-1993 Monica. In the pre-1993 version, she was often bubbly and giggly and showed much more enthusiasm whether it was off court or on court. In the post-1993 version, she was clearly more sombre. That giggly person in her was gone and in its place was a depressed young woman who never managed to overcome the injustices she had suffered.

LDVTennis
Apr 13th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Money can't make you happy, but it can make being miserable a hell of a lot nicer.

You got to wonder who first came up with the idea that money can't make you happy. It's a complete lie.

Helen Lawson
Apr 13th, 2009, 03:07 PM
You got to wonder who first came up with the idea that money can't make you happy. It's a complete lie.

Right?? Some guy dumps me, it's not so bad when I can hop a plane to Spain for a week first class and eat and shop. Being rich and depressed beats poor and depressed because poverty doesn't buy you happiness either.

Joan Rivers
Apr 13th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I wish Monica well. So many people have eating disorders, it's such a shame. Some people use it for publicity though. Look at Kirstie Alley - she gained weight and she was a binge eater. She lost 10 lbs and suddenly she's claiming anorexia. The only people I know who was genuine was Shelley Winters. She beat anorexia admirably for years.

nelsondan
Apr 13th, 2009, 03:44 PM

I will never forget a radio interview I heard her do.....she was living in Florida, and was called to jury duty, a job which paid 7 dollars an hour. She could have been excused, but she went ahead and did it, because she felt it was something she owed to the community in which she lived.

Maybe it was a contrived publicity thing---but it did not sound like it to me---it came up in the interview as a surprise to her.

I believe she is a person of very deep integrity. I admire her a lot, and I always will.

calico_101
Apr 13th, 2009, 05:21 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1169613/My-eating-disorder-hell-Monica-Seles.html

My eating disorder hell, by Monica Seles

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 4:42 PM on 13th April 2009

Former tennis ace Monica Seles has admitted she suffered a nine-year battle with binge-eating.

The ex-Wimbledon champion told how she gorged on food to cope with the death of her father and being stabbed in the back on court during a match in 1993, according to The Sun.

The 35-year-old opens up about her fight in a new book, Getting A Grip, which deals with addiction to food.

She said: 'Food became my best friend. I was lonely and I would just eat.

'It was my coping mechanism. Food was how I dealt with stress.'

Yugoslavian-born Seles, who now lives in Florida, piled on the pounds as she battled the condition. At one point, she put on 35lbs.

The star, who became famous for her loud grunting on court, realised she had finally beaten the disorder when she competed on Dancing With The Stars.

Despite taking criticism, she said, she didn't turn to food for comfort.

Seles, who won nine Grand Slam titles in her career, took the Wimbledon trophy in 1992.

A year later, Gunter Parche, a Steffi Graf fan, ran onto the court in Hamburg while the two women played and stabbed Seles in the back.

She recovered from her injuries a few weeks later.

Helen Lawson
Apr 13th, 2009, 05:41 PM
It TWICE states she won Wimbledon. Honestly, even American tabloids can research an article properly. Wouldn't a British rag at least be somewhat knowledgeable about those who have won their national tournament?

Elldee
Apr 13th, 2009, 05:42 PM
The Daily Mail is a piece of shit.

Orbis
Apr 13th, 2009, 05:48 PM
:lol: So inaccurate. And doesn't the last part imply that Monica was playing against Graf when she was stabbed?

GavinC360
Apr 13th, 2009, 05:51 PM
What is true and what isn't with this one?

tonybotz
Apr 13th, 2009, 05:53 PM
speaking to the jury duty thing: Seles loved being an american citizen. she represented us for fed cup any time Billie Jean asked no matter how much strain it put on her season. Gotta love Mons.

Uranium
Apr 13th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Monica:hug:
:lol: at the article saying she won Wimbledon, if only.:(

Christinawww
Apr 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM
also she didn't play Steffi in the 1993 match. What a bad article

Helen Lawson
Apr 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I don't know why her eating issues are considered a huge revelation, she's been pretty open for years that she overate after the stabbing. In fact, in her first book, she states she used to eat cartons and cartons of ice cream and shop at 24-hour discount markets in dark glasses in the middle of the night to buy her booty because her mother would not buy her any. She also says her mother used to get on her case for overeating, pointing out that she wasn't doing any cardio or weight lifting, and no tennis playing, so where did this huge appetite come from?

LDVTennis
Apr 13th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I don't know why her eating issues are considered a huge revelation, she's been pretty open for years that she overate after the stabbing. In fact, in her first book, she states she used to eat cartons and cartons of ice cream and shop at 24-hour discount markets in dark glasses in the middle of the night to buy her booty because her mother would not buy her any. She also says her mother used to get on her case for overeating, pointing out that she wasn't doing any cardio or weight lifting, and no tennis playing, so where did this huge appetite come from?

Helen, you of all people should know better than anyone what one has to do to sell a book.

Do you think people want to read about Monica's great relationship with her father? No, they want to get all the sordid details of her binge-eating. The more she tells about those middle-of-the-night visits to the convenience stores, the more books she'll sell. There might even be a movie deal in it for her if in one those stories she tells of meeting a young man (call him Jack) who saved her in every way that a person can be saved. In fact, I could see Kate Winslet playing Monica. She's sort of the Monica of Hollywood actresses.

Now, as I said, you probably know more than anyone about how this works. I'm sure when you were approached by the literary agents about writing your own memoirs the first question out of their mouths was: So, how many drink-in-the-face stories and face-in-a-pile-of-your-own-vomit stories can you tell? Just to think if you had managed to put a "Jack" in one of your stories, Kate Winslet would have won an Oscar long ago for playing you in the movie.

Bounty Hunter
Apr 13th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Helen, you of all people should know better than anyone what one has to do to sell a book.

Do you think people want to read about Monica's great relationship with her father? No, they want to get all the sordid details of her binge-eating. The more she tells about those middle-of-the-night visits to the convenience stores, the more books she'll sell. There might even be a movie deal in it for her if in one those stories she tells of meeting a young man (call him Jack) who saved her in every way that a person can be saved. In fact, I could see Kate Winslet playing Monica. She's sort of the Monica of Hollywood actresses.

Now, as I said, you probably know more than anyone about how this works. I'm sure when you were approached by the literary agents about writing your own memoirs the first question out of their mouths was: So, how many drink-in-the-face stories and face-in-a-pile-of-your-own-vomit stories can you tell? Just to think if you had managed to put a "Jack" in one of your stories, Kate Winslet would have won an Oscar long ago for playing you in the movie.

:lol::lol:

Helen Lawson
Apr 13th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Well, I will have to admit, that I have far more sordid and saucy tales to tell than does our gal Monica, but I'm not one to air the dirty laundry of my past for some easy greens. The whole eating disorder/eat to fill the void has been beaten to death by Lifetime TV and the rest, I hope there's something else in this book, because that's dull to me.

drake3781
Apr 13th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I don't suggest binge eating to anyone. But if you must, I recommend Breyer's Heath Bar ice cream. Vanilla ice cream, with caramel, and little broken up pieces of Heath Bar. About half carton per day would be a decent binge. Now that is the way to binge eat! :devil:

Helen Lawson
Apr 13th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I'll have to try some of that, it sounds good! She says in the book that the discount 24 hour market had a bad selection of ice cream, but that she didn't care what flavor it was, as long as she could get it into her mouth, that was all she was after.

I think if I was going to binge eat, I'd have a lot of pasta with rich sauces.