PDA

View Full Version : PVB Final: (2) Caroline Wozniacki def. (5) Aleksandra Wozniak 6-1 6-2

kman
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:05 PM
4th title, 1st on clay :bounce:

Ellery
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:06 PM
:eek:

Mikey.
Well done Caro :D

DownTheLine21
Excellent match from Wozniacki. She should do very well during the clay season this year.

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:07 PM
amazing recovery from death bed :banana:

well done Caro

Caillou
ouchhh

Derek.
Great job, Caro! :D

Excellent defense and depth of shots today. :yeah:
Super steady as always. :angel:

4th title. :banana:

joão.
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Well done, Caro! :woohoo:

darkangel23
Caroline :worship:

Kai
congrats Caro :yeah: :D

FedererFan84
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Good win Wozniacki. Hopefully Aleks will learn a bit of match toughness!

jasminefu623
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Great job, Caro! :D

Excellent defense and depth of shots today. :yeah:
Super steady as always. :angel:

4th title. :banana:

have you watch the match?
will it able for be to upload the match today??:worship:

Dodoboy.
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:10 PM
That's my girl! :wavey:

Aleks wins one more game than last time :hug:

First title of the year on CLAY! Who woulda thought! :speakles:

Well done and good luck in Charleston! Should make the semis!

Patrick345
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Excellent match from Wozniacki. She should do very well during the clay season this year.

Based on what? She beat nobody?

Inger67
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:11 PM
4th title and not even 19 yet :) She has a very bright future ahead of her! Congrats Caro! :D She's going to have a great clay season!

Vincey!
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Well done Caro :D Good stuffs this week ;)

Aleks :sad:...embarassing score once again against Caro :(...but amazing week overall :D..Starting your Claycourt season really well :D

Patrick345
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM
have you watch the match?
will it able for be to upload the match today??:worship:

I watched it. Wozniak made like 40 easy UEs, roughly 10 double faults. Every time Wozniacki put some power behind a shot and moved Wozniak an inch she couldn´t get there. Save yourself the 45 minutes. It´s waste of time to watch unless you are a Wozniacki mark and want to get off. :lol::lol:

jonny84
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Good win for Caroline and well done to Aleks for making the final

terjw
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:14 PM
WD Caro :). I knew she'd have no trouble with Alex.

Patrick345
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:15 PM
WD Caro :). I knew she'd have no trouble with Alex.

No good player should. ;)

Wiggly
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Congratulations, you just won a trip to Bali!

Dodoboy.
I watched it. Wozniak made like 40 easy UEs, roughly 10 double faults. Every time Wozniacki put some power behind a shot and moved Wozniak an inch she couldn´t get there. Save yourself the 45 minutes. It´s waste of time to watch unless you are a Wozniacki mark and want to get off. :lol::lol:

Vulgar. I want to watch it! So if anyone can upload it, please do :D

kman
No good player should. ;)

I think you've made your point. ZZZ

CloudAtlas
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Well that was rather odd. With Caro unwell and Wozniak playing well I thought she had it was gonna be a lot tougher!

WD on title #4 Caro :D

kman
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I don't think Caro was unwell today. I think she recovered.

JadeFox
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Caro looked fine to me. Very solid play from her. Well done baby baller! :yeah:

Inger67
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Congratulations, you just won a trip to Bali!

Who says she won't make the YEC? :) She's currently 8th.

VIKA?
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Congrats Caro:)

Aleks:hug:

disco_rage
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Well done Caroline. Hard luck Aleksandra.

KanSuke
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM
What a easy win Caroline :yeah:

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Caroline is having a good year. She is now 7th in the rankings race. Top 10 is only a few weeks away.

d_s
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Too bad for Aleks :(

Great result for her this week though. Hope this is a good sign :)

young_gunner913
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Great job Caro!! :yeah:

Who the hell said Caro was injured? :rolls: If she was... Aleks... :tape::help:

Jose.
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Caroline :woohoo:
Great week with Jelena in Marbella and Caroline here :D

kman
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Great job Caro!! :yeah:

Who the hell said Caro was injured? :rolls: If she was... Aleks... :tape::help:

the thread was about illness... don't know how it got turned into injury
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=376076

:)

Carofan
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:32 PM
4th title :banana::drool:

rucolo
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Congrats for singles title #4, Caroline!!!:angel::kiss::D;)

Nadia Petrova or Tamira Paszek should have played against Caro in the final. They are much more talented than Wozniak.:p

Ciarán
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:34 PM
WD Caro :yeah:

LindsayRulz
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Aleks :sad:

terjw
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Who says she won't make the YEC? :) She's currently 8th.

I hope she does play well this year and make it to the YEC

RenaSlam.
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Good job, Caro.

Good luck during the clay court season.

new-york
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:48 PM
well done Carol, rock the clay courts. :D

good week Aleks. :yeah:

Corswandt
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Wozniacki will win as many of these as she wants, maybe even on red clay.

But this isn't what we need.

Emina.
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Congrats Caro!!! :banana: :banana:

kman
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Wozniacki will win as many of these as she wants, maybe even on red clay.

But this isn't what we need.

What do we need? :)

jjcrew#1
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Great job CARO!

Galsen
Apr 12th, 2009, 08:59 PM
yeah Caro :worship:
you avenged Serena when Wozniak enjoyed winning against an injuredRena:o

hablo
Apr 12th, 2009, 09:07 PM

well done Caro

Exactly. :rolls:

Aleks, still a good tournament from you. :hug:

Corswandt
Apr 12th, 2009, 09:10 PM
What do we need? :)

Someone who can challenge, and then dethrone, what little is left of the elite before it goes away. Or at least someone who can beat the Trifecta of Suck. Not yet another player who merely raises unrealistic expectations only to dash them.

Dexter
Apr 12th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Congratulations for Caro! :yeah:
Chin up, Ola! Great week for her too! :hug:

Randy H
Apr 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Caroline pretty much has one of the worst types of games for a player like Aleksandra to go up against. Very consistent, gets a lot of balls back, doesn't give you a lot to work with, moves the ball around the court nicely...She knows how to get Wozniak off balance without giving her the pace and rhythm she likes.

Good week Aleks :) Congrats Caroline, too good

kman
Apr 12th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Someone who can challenge, and then dethrone, what little is left of the elite before it goes away. Or at least someone who can beat the Trifecta of Suck. Not yet another player who merely raises unrealistic expectations only to dash them.

I've never had unrealistic expectations for Caroline. Have you?

Admittedly I think she can make the top 10 but that's hardly unrealistic considering she's already top 12 overall and currently 7th (or is it 8th?) in the race this year.

I don't think Caroline has peaked yet, but Serena and Venus are probably approaching the twillight of their careers.

cn ireland
Apr 12th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Congrats on winning another title Caroline:banana:!

rickxx
Apr 12th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Great job Caro!Keep going girl!The top 10 is so close now.

bobbynorwich
Apr 12th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Great job, Caroline. Only 18 yrs. young and already 4 championships!

http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_trophy.gif http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_trophy.gifhttp://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_trophy.gifhttp://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_trophy.gif

Aravanecaravan
Apr 12th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Congrats for singles title #4, Caroline!!!:angel::kiss::D;)

Nadia Petrova or Tamira Paszek should have played against Caro in the final. They are much more talented than Wozniak.:p

Agreed on Tamira, and I think she would have had a chance to win it because she's tougher mentally. Not terribly impressed with Wozniacki with what I have seen in person. I think she benefitted from a nice draw here. I call her the "Queen of the Bs" because while she can win smaller events like this, she almost always falls short on the bigger, more competitive stages.

Wozniak was living on borrowed time...probably shouldn't have survived Lisicki. Definitely shouldn't have gotten past Paszek. And whoever won that match was going to beat Nadia.

And as far as Petrova, she's got talent, but she forgot to bring it this week. She struggled against the mighty Madison Keys for awhile before Keys got overwhelmed by the occasion, and the big stage. And then Bondarenko choked away the 3rd set against Nadia despite having multiple opportunities to close it out. Nadia was never going to win this tourney. Really, the only four that were playing consistently well enough to win were Wozniacki, Vesnina, Paszek and Wozniak, in more or less descending order.

kman
Apr 12th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Agreed on Tamira, and I think she would have had a chance to win it because she's tougher mentally. Not terribly impressed with Wozniacki with what I have seen in person. I think she benefitted from a nice draw here. I call her the "Queen of the Bs" because while she can win smaller events like this, she almost always falls short on the bigger, more competitive stages.

hehe yea. I guess that title is somewhat justified, but I think she deserves credit for being a top 8 finisher at two big mandatory tournaments this year (considering she's only a top 12 player). She made it further than many of the top 10 players. When Azarenka was Caroline's age she had only won 1 WTA title as far as I know (if not 0?). Caroline already has 4 and Azarenka proved at Miami that she can win a big one so there's still hope for Caroline lol.

Blu€
Apr 12th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Yay! Well done Caro! :clap2::clap2:

~{X}~
Apr 12th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Great Caro!!!!! Congrats on Title #4!!!! Now do well in Charleston. :D

Corswandt
Apr 12th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I've never had unrealistic expectations for Caroline. Have you?

Admittedly I think she can make the top 10 but that's hardly unrealistic considering she's already top 12 overall and currently 7th (or is it 8th?) in the race this year.

I don't think Caroline has peaked yet, but Serena and Venus are probably approaching the twillight of their careers.

You mean once Serena and Venus retire Wozniacki and the like will have a shot at winning big? We all know it's true, but I really, really wish it wasn't.

My expectations are for Wozniacki to become Shahar 2.0. She has a serve, and even though her FH is actually technically worse than Shahar's, I don't expect it to fall apart to the same extent, so she won't sink quite as low.

I find your expectations realistic nonetheless.

But it's almost inevitable that Wozniacki will get a break at one of the big red clay events, and should she make the most of it, the common herd here at TF and the even more clueless professional reporters (Wertheim, the idiots at Tennis mag) will anoint her as one of the favourites for RG. Where she'll get duly breadsticked by Ivanovic or something of the sort. Then of course the very same people who hyped her to high heavens will take her to task for "failing to deliver".

bobbynorwich
Apr 12th, 2009, 11:04 PM
\

I don't think Caroline has peaked yet.

http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_goodjob.gif Good thinking.http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/Smileys/default/icon_goodjob.gif

After all, she's only 18.

Roookie
Apr 12th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Wow. 4th title for Caro!, impressive. She's the Jelena Jankovic of this season, she's playing EVERY damn tournament!.

allrounder
Apr 12th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Well done Caro.

Wow. 4th title for Caro!, impressive. She's the Jelena Jankovic of this season, she's playing EVERY damn tournament!.
Except JJ didn't play any tier 3/4 events at all last season ;)

kman
Apr 12th, 2009, 11:16 PM
You mean once Serena and Venus retire Wozniacki and the like will have a shot at winning big? We all know it's true, but I really, really wish it wasn't.

My expectations are for Wozniacki to become Shahar 2.0. She has a serve, and even though her FH is actually technically worse than Shahar's, I don't expect it to fall apart to the same extent, so she won't sink quite as low.

I find your expectations realistic nonetheless.

But it's almost inevitable that Wozniacki will get a break at one of the big red clay events, and should she make the most of it, the common herd here at TF and the even more clueless professional reporters (Wertheim, the idiots at Tennis mag) will anoint her as one of the favourites for RG. Where she'll get duly breadsticked by Ivanovic or something of the sort. Then of course the very same people who hyped her to high heavens will take her to task for "failing to deliver".

Actually my point with that last line was more along the lines of "even if Caroline dethrones Serena and Venus, there will always be those saying it's because Serena and Venus were past their primes". And even if Caroline continues to improve and becomes the new #1 after they retire (highly unlikely I know), there will always be those saying "she's only the best now because the "real" best has left the building". But hasn't it been like that in all eras of tennis? It's hard to compare the best from different eras. Who would've triumphed if they'd had been in their primes during the same era etc.? Technically Caroline is so young she might still be in her infancy as a tennis player and Serena and Venus are so old that they might retire before Caroline peaks and then it's almost as if they played different eras (maybe era isn't the right word but you know what I mean). But assuming Sharapova comes back and isn't part of your "trifecta of suck", I guess she'll be a good point of comparison.

Anyway, I can understand why you'd be skeptical in the face of people who hype Caroline to "high heavens". It's entirely possible that she'll make top 10, stay for a few weeks and then drop out of it forever. I guess time will tell. Obviously I'd like to see her do as well as possible, but clearly she hasn't shown the same potential that, say, Sharapova showed when she came onto the scene and anyone who hails her as "the future of tennis" or anything along those lines are probably setting themselves up for disappointment, I agree. Better to keep expectations low and be happily surprised when she exceeds them :)

It'll also be interesting to see how the likes of Wozniacki and Azarenka will compare to the new up-and-comers like Robson, Keys etc. Maybe the latter turn out to have way more potential. Maybe not.

EDIT: Hope my post wasn't too rambling. I'm very tired and should probably hit the sack.

sunsfuns
Apr 12th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Anyway, I can understand why you'd be skeptical in the face of people who hype Caroline to "high heavens". It's entirely possible that she'll make top 10, stay for a few weeks and then drop out of it forever. I guess time will tell. Obviously I'd like to see her do as well as possible, but clearly she hasn't shown the same potential that, say, Sharapova showed when she came onto the scene and anyone who hails her as "the future of tennis" or anything along those lines are probably setting themselves up for disappointment, I agree. Better to keep expectations low and be happily surprised when she exceeds them :)
I agree. Right now I see her career along the lines of that of Zvonareva, but I do hope for more (notice - hope not expect).

P.S. I am a fan too so allow me to be a bit biased... ;)

Corswandt
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Multiquote, but not to pick your post apart. Honest. ;)

Actually my point with that last line was more along the lines of "even if Caroline dethrones Serena and Venus, there will always be those saying it's because Serena and Venus were past their primes".

You can't expect fans of the WS to show any kind of respect or appreciation for anyone who beats/surpasses Venus and/or Serena, so I wouldn't worry about that if I were you.

And even if Caroline continues to improve and becomes the new #1 after they retire (highly unlikely I know), there will always be those saying "she's only the best now because the "real" best has left the building". But hasn't it been like that in all eras of tennis?

No, it hasn't. We've never had anything like this. Of the top 4 players of 2006, not a single one remains at the top of the game, and only in the case of one of them that was due to what we could call natural decline. It's just a huge void that only the sisters have shown themselves up to the task of filling.

Technically Caroline is so young she might still be in her infancy as a tennis player

I don't see much room for improvement in her case. Her movement, footwork and reflexes are about as good as they'll ever be, and the glaring flaws in her strokes (particularly the FH) will take a lot of work to be corrected - if that is possible to do at all. There are players in her age group that I'd say have much more potential. But potential, as we all know, often doesn't mean squat.

But assuming Sharapova comes back and isn't part of your "trifecta of suck"

Sharapova doesn't belong to the Trifecta of Suck. And she won't be back.

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Caro :worship: :yeah:

Uranium
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:08 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090412/capt.aa7126ad51614615be4156aa7151df13.ponte_vedra_ tennis_flpc201.jpg?x=400&y=310&q=85&sig=XTmm0wMECPVOjs5niqWMBQ--
Caro:yeah:

Droolv
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Congrats on #4 Caro :yippee:

kman
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Multiquote, but not to pick your post apart. Honest. ;)

You can't expect fans of the WS to show any kind of respect or appreciation for anyone who beats/surpasses Venus and/or Serena, so I wouldn't worry about that if I were you.

No, it hasn't. We've never had anything like this. Of the top 4 players of 2006, not a single one remains at the top of the game, and only in the case of one of them that was due to what we could call natural decline. It's just a huge void that only the sisters have shown themselves up to the task of filling.

I don't see much room for improvement in her case. Her movement, footwork and reflexes are about as good as they'll ever be, and the glaring flaws in her strokes (particularly the FH) will take a lot of work to be corrected - if that is possible to do at all. There are players in her age group that I'd say have much more potential. But potential, as we all know, often doesn't mean squat.

Sharapova doesn't belong to the Trifecta of Suck. And she won't be back.

I appreciate your perspective´:) As for glaring flaws in her strokes that will be hard to correct. I don't know about that. Even if her technique is unorthodox doesn't mean it can't be effective. If you take piano lessons, the first thing your teacher will tell you is to have a nice arc to your fingers when you play. That's considered "right" and "proper" technique. Ironically, the widely regarded greatest pianist of the 20th century played with his fingers mostly flat on the keys and with his pinky finger strangely curled up, completely defying "right" and "proper". But the results spoke for themselves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnla_5zrHAE Only a crazy piano teacher would walk up to Horowitz and tell him to apply more arc to his fingers after hearing a performance like that ;)

EDIT: Man, I really should go to bed...

Keadz
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Good win for Caro, proving that she sure can play on the clay courts.

:) Hope she can keep up this form and start making some inroads in the bigger tournaments.

Lulu.
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Congrats Caro.

kman
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:22 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090412/capt.aa7126ad51614615be4156aa7151df13.ponte_vedra_ tennis_flpc201.jpg?x=400&y=310&q=85&sig=XTmm0wMECPVOjs5niqWMBQ--
Caro:yeah:

Thanks for the picture.

AnomyBC
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:29 AM
NICE! Thank god she saved those match points against Vesnina!!! :bounce::banana::woohoo:

Ben.
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:35 AM
WD Caro :yeah: love that pic of her holding the trophy :hearts:

doujyr
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:38 AM

well done Caro

:lol:

I just feel sorry for Lena who had to put up with all the drama. We've seen Wozniacki isn't shy to pull dirty tricks - remember the fiddling with racquet strings vs Elena D?

M.P
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Oh god
i am so happy for her!!
Congra Caro!!!

i was dreaming she gonna lose

doujyr
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:43 AM
After all, she's only 18.

Some interesting Grand Slam stats for some players age 19. She's going to have to go some to catch them up.

Graf w5 f2 sf2 qf1
Seles w7 f1 sf1 qf1
Hingis w5 f4 sf3 qf1
Venus w1 f1 sf2 qf6
Serena w1 f0 sf1 qf1
Sharapova w2 f0 sf5 qf1

Pasta-Na
Apr 13th, 2009, 01:05 AM
as expected. :yawn:

Eduardo Oliveira
Apr 13th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Congrats Carol :bounce:

pwayne
Apr 13th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Congratulations to Caroline for an easy win. At one point in the match, she won 17 straight points on her serve.

CloudAtlas
Apr 13th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Some interesting Grand Slam stats for some players age 19. She's going to have to go some to catch them up.

Graf w5 f2 sf2 qf1
Seles w7 f1 sf1 qf1
Hingis w5 f4 sf3 qf1
Venus w1 f1 sf2 qf6
Serena w1 f0 sf1 qf1
Sharapova w2 f0 sf5 qf1

Federer didn't win a Slam till he was 22 and he's considered one of the if not the greatest of all time and he's just one Slam away from the all time record. I know it's Federer, better than everyone on your list put together, but the point still stands. Age means nothing in the 17-24 period.

Sander.
Apr 13th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Caroline :yeah:

Aleks, good tournament! :)

Cat's Pajamas
Apr 13th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Aleks :sad: and :o at the scoreline, but a great week nonetheless. :yeah:

Well done to Caro, congrats on the title! :worship:

Patrick345
Apr 13th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Federer didn't win a Slam till he was 22 and he's considered one of the if not the greatest of all time and he's just one Slam away from the all time record. I know it's Federer, better than everyone on your list put together, but the point still stands. Age means nothing in the 17-24 period.

Of course it does. Late bloomers, who become greats are very rare, especially in the women´s game. How many multiple Slam winners and former world #1´s didn´t win a Slam by age 20?

Beat
Apr 13th, 2009, 09:37 AM
disappointing scoreline.

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Of course it does. Late bloomers, who become greats are very rare, especially in the women´s game. How many multiple Slam winners and former world #1´s didn´t win a Slam by age 20?

Off the top of my head, in recent history, Venus Williams, Davenport, and Mauresmo all celebrated their 20th birthdays without a Grand Slam title. It is actually not that uncommon and as players seem to be developing later these days I expect it to get more common.

Anyway as a way of disparaging Wozniacki this is a silly argument, as I don't think anyone could realistically think she is going to win 5 plus Grand Slams. She will however have a very nice career and looking at her contemporaries and a slam or two at some point is certainly not out of the question.

Patrick345
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Off the top of my head, in recent history, Venus Williams, Davenport, and Mauresmo all celebrated their 20th birthdays without a Grand Slam title. It is actually not that uncommon and as players seem to be developing later these days I expect it to get more common.

Anyway as a way of disparaging Wozniacki this is a silly argument, as I don't think anyone could realistically think she is going to win 5 plus Grand Slams. She will however have a very nice career and looking at her contemporaries and a slam or two at some point is certainly not out of the question.

Just saying age does matter. Davenport won the Olympics at age 20, Venus Wimbledon and the US Open. The first big finals or big titles are usually in the books by that age. So it does matter, when you project a career. ;)

Alenyaa
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Welcome back, Caroline!

kman
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:29 AM
:lol:

I just feel sorry for Lena who had to put up with all the drama. We've seen Wozniacki isn't shy to pull dirty tricks - remember the fiddling with racquet strings vs Elena D?

People seem to forget that Caroline is one of the only players who plays with natural gut strings and they break easier and react badly to moisture and humidity. I doubt she was fiddling with her strings to piss off Elena D, they were probably causing her problems. Don't tell me that's why Elena D lost lol.

Jess22
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Well done Caroline, that scoreline looks easier than I expected it to be :D

AndreConrad
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Very well done Caroline :yeah:

kman
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:42 AM

True. When Jankovic was Caroline's age she was 80-something in the world rankings. But she made it to no. 1 regardless (never won a slam). Dementieva is 27 and still hasn't won a slam, but her best result came last year at the age of 26. They'll probably win a slam at some point and when they do it'll be quite late in their careers. Then again, maybe they won't. Dementieva is getting up there...

Langers
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Hotness prevails.

AndreConrad
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Just saying age does matter. Davenport won the Olympics at age 20, Venus Wimbledon and the US Open. The first big finals or big titles are usually in the books by that age. So it does matter, when you project a career. ;)
Of course age matters somewhat, but not to the extend that people try make us believe. Children develop at their own pace. Have you seen everyone go through puberty at this same time? The other age aspect is economical. If you start making good money at young age then you'll stick with tennis, but if you struggle to support yourself at 21 and pay for travel, etc. you may choose to change your career. On positive note if you don't abuse your body at very young age you have better chance to last longer as a player; e.g. Navratilova.

bobbynorwich
Apr 13th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Aleks was fortunate to get into the final, she looked streaky.

fish_wilson
Apr 13th, 2009, 01:37 PM
family decision ;)

pwayne
Apr 13th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Aleks was fortunate to get into the final, she looked streaky.

Aleksandra, IMO, is a streaky player so getting to the final was a good accomplishment.

Dinayer
Apr 13th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Caro :bowdown:

Effy
Apr 13th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Caro, well done babe :yeah:

Dolphin
Apr 13th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Congrats Caroline!! :bigclap:

Way to go!! :bounce: :bounce:

Orbis
Apr 13th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Congrats to Wozniacki, great tournament. :D

Too bad for Wozniak though.

Corswandt
Apr 13th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I appreciate your perspective´:) As for glaring flaws in her strokes that will be hard to correct. I don't know about that. Even if her technique is unorthodox doesn't mean it can't be effective. If you take piano lessons, the first thing your teacher will tell you is to have a nice arc to your fingers when you play. That's considered "right" and "proper" technique. Ironically, the widely regarded greatest pianist of the 20th century played with his fingers mostly flat on the keys and with his pinky finger strangely curled up, completely defying "right" and "proper". But the results spoke for themselves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnla_5zrHAE Only a crazy piano teacher would walk up to Horowitz and tell him to apply more arc to his fingers after hearing a performance like that ;)

EDIT: Man, I really should go to bed...

Yup. Horowitz's technique looks odd even to a layman.

About Wozniacki, there would be no problem with her "unorthodox" technique if it wasn't visibly holding her back. She'd hit a much more penetrating ball off the FH side if she hit it with a more textbook swing. She could still loop it if it was enough to merely keep it in, but right now she can't take over, let alone finish, a point with her FH.

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 14th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Caro :D

Spiritof42
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Congrats Caroline! Didn't expect it to be that easy :clap2::yeah:

A rather anticlimactic end to the tournament, especially after all the drama that went on in the QFs and SFs. :lol:

About Wozniacki, there would be no problem with her "unorthodox" technique if it wasn't visibly holding her back. She'd hit a much more penetrating ball off the FH side if she hit it with a more textbook swing. She could still loop it if it was enough to merely keep it in, but right now she can't take over, let alone finish, a point with her FH.

I have to agree about the forehand. I'm not sure how much can be done to improve it, but it's a rather glaring weakness in her game.

Sally Todd
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Aleks was pretty terrible in this match. Once she discovered she couldn't hit through Wozniacki, she just had an "Oh well" attitude. I thought she was more solid than that.

I don't think I fully appreciate Wozniacki's game...yet? She has great defense on clay right now, but in some way on clay she was reminding me of Aga without the guile. And the bloopy Jankovicisms are something I hope she steers away from. She's still young though. I have to credit her for not only making a high % of first serves but placing her first serve so well -- Aleks was clueless where it was going the whole match.

Dandy_Warhol
Apr 14th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Caroline :clap2::yeah: