PDA

View Full Version : Islam 'insulted' by alleged child killer's mug shot

mure
Apr 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM
The police booking photo of alleged child killer Nour Hadid released Tuesday is an "insult against our religion," says Hadid's husband, Alaeddin.

Orland Park police detectives say the 26-year-old Muslim woman was treated as any other suspect in a murder probe would be, and they did not intend to humiliate her when they photographed her Sunday without her headscarf and wearing only a skimpy top.

Nour Hadid is accused of beating her 2-year-old niece Bhia Hadid to death over four days at her home on the 9000 block of West 140th Street. The child had 55 separate bruises and was beaten "from head to toe," according to prosecutors, who say Hadid confessed.

But Alaeddin Hadid - who insists his wife is innocent - said Orland Park police are "really going to be in big trouble" for releasing the woman's booking photo to the news media after she was charged with first-degree murder.

The Hadids are Muslims and Nour "never leaves the home without covering up," said Alaeddin, who's vowed to sue.

By custom, some practicing Muslim women wear the hijab, or headscarf, and cover their arms and legs when in public.

In the mug shot, a bare-headed and obviously emotional Nour appears to be protecting her modesty with her hands.

"It is against our religion; we do not do this in our culture," Alaeddin said.

"People have been calling me about this all day."

Bhia Hadid's funeral took place Thursday.

Suicide threats

Orland Park police Cmdr. Chuck Doll said the mug shot was taken "for identification purposes" before Hadid made her confession. Her headscarf was handed back to her after the photo was taken, Doll said.

"A matron was with her at all times while she was in our custody," Doll said. A matron is a law enforcement official who works with women held in custody. "She was wearing a tank top, and she had the headscarf when she was interviewed."

The headscarf later was taken from her after she made suicide threats, he said.

A sobbing Hadid appeared without the headscarf at the Bridgeview courthouse Tuesday and is being held without bail at the Cermak Medical Center at the Cook County Jail, where she remains on suicide watch.

Police have said her husband's possible involvement in Bhia's death still is under investigation.

Nour Hadid's attorney, Frank Celani, said he hopes to speak with her today about the mug shot.

Respecting the accused

Islamic advocacy groups seem wary of taking up Hadid's cause.

Spokesmen for the Council on Islamic American Relations, the Islamic Society of North America and the Bridgeview Mosque Foundation all declined to comment Thursday.

But Dr. Mohammed Sahloul, chairman of the Council of Islamic Organizations of Chicago, said that while police should follow the usual procedures with all defendants, "they should respect the modesty of the accused."

Sahloul, who made it clear he was not aware of the Hadid case and was speaking in general terms about the hijab, pointed out that Muslim women are allowed to wear hijabs in photos for their state IDs.

"If it's for the purposes of identification and they cover in public, then that's going to be more effective in identifying them anyway," he said.

Former chairman Kareem Irfan said, "It's particularly humiliating because she appears to be in her underwear.

"I don't condone what she's alleged to have done.

"But if it was a nun accused of these crimes, would they treat her the same way?"

http://www.southtownstar.com/news/1520478,041009mugshot.article?plckCurrentPage=1&sid=sitelife.southtownstar.com

can you believe this shit?This guy seems so offended by a single mugshot yet he doesn't seem to bother that his wife beated to death a 2 YEAR OLD child:tape:

raffles
Apr 10th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Well, I guess we're equal them because his comments insult our intellegence and justice system.

Sometimes I think that there are certain groups hanging around like ambulance chasers attempting to stir up crap like this.

Solitaire
Apr 10th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Gotta see the face for the mug shot Islam or no Islam. Perhaps she shouldn't have allegedly killed a child and none of this would have happened.

Kart
Apr 11th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I don't particularly care about this story but did the police have to release the photo to the media seeing that she was already in custody ?

I think not.

Infiniti2001
Apr 11th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I don't particularly care about this story but did the police have to release the photo to the media seeing that she was already in custody ?

I think not.

American Mugshots are always release :shrug: I don't think there's ever any exception. Just go to the smoking gun to check some out :lol: Meanwhile , what about the innocent murdered baby? :rolleyes:

Golovinjured.
Apr 11th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Islam, the religion evolution left behind. :rolleyes:

Alizé Molik
Apr 11th, 2009, 02:52 AM
lol i hope he does sue the police and it gets thrown out of court for being ridiculous..they should be investigating him too for his apparent lack of emotion considering a 2 year old girl is dead.

woosey
Apr 11th, 2009, 03:59 AM

I think not.

i believe this is public information, unless it involved a child or a victim of domestic violence. there may be other exceptions.

young_gunner913
Apr 11th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Maybe reverse justice will happen and she'll be stoned for looking a whore.

Kart
Apr 11th, 2009, 06:20 AM
American Mugshots are always release :shrug: I don't think there's ever any exception. Just go to the smoking gun to check some out :lol: Meanwhile , what about the innocent murdered baby? :rolleyes:

Love the Smoking Gun :D. Haven't been there for ages, I'd completely forgotten about it !

i believe this is public information, unless it involved a child or a victim of domestic violence. there may be other exceptions.

I didn't know it was public information - I wonder what the rationale is behind that if the suspect is already in custody but I digress.

I appreciate both of your points and that's part of why I think this is a non-starter - particularly if it's routine to release mugshots of accused muslim women without their headscarves as public information as you say.

However, in the (unlikely) chance that this lady is acquitted, it's going to reflect less well when she claims she was wrongly accused and her faith wasn't respected by the police. They could have photographed her in her headscarf and released that instead without any drama on any side IMHO.

Just my two cents. It is not going to change the outcome here - this woman is almost certainly going to prison and no one is going to be listening to this when she's convicted.

Infiniti2001
Apr 11th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Kart baby, she wears the niqab not a head scarf or hijab. Women are not allowed to wear them for their drivers license, and apparently the same applies to mugshots :shrug: She's wearing a tank top, what's the fuss? Meanwhile, if the husband had kept his trap shut the world wouldn't have seen his wife's shoulders. Yes mugshots are public---- however, everyone rarely get to see them unless they go looking for them :lol: or the story makes the news. In this case he is bringing all the unwanted attention to wifey :rolleyes: I'm curious as to what she was wearing over the 4 days when she was committing murder :tape::help:

A Magicman
Apr 11th, 2009, 01:06 PM
If I got a Euro each time when someone of the Religion of Peace™ is insulted or outraged by anything or anyone, I'd be way richer than $crooge McDuck :lol:

Joe.
Apr 11th, 2009, 01:34 PM
im not racist. im only 13. but ffs seriously, any other person would have the same thing done. but because she is a muslim it is seen as unfair and an insult to her culture. and if a human has killed a 2 year old child i think they should die themselves ;)

ps i am not racist and my best frend is a muslim and she feels the same way ;)

Slutiana
Apr 11th, 2009, 01:44 PM
im not racist. im only 13. but ffs seriously, any other person would have the same thing done. but because she is a muslim it is seen as unfair and an insult to her culture. and if a human has killed a 2 year old child i think they should die themselves ;)

ps i am not racist and my best frend is a muslim and she feels the same way ;)
Sorry, I couldnt help but laughing. :crying2:

raffles
Apr 11th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Kart baby, she wears the niqab not a head scarf or hijab. Women are not allowed to wear them for their drivers license, and apparently the same applies to mugshots :shrug: She's wearing a tank top, what's the fuss? Meanwhile, if the husband had kept his trap shut the world wouldn't have seen his wife's shoulders. Yes mugshots are public---- however, everyone rarely get to see them unless they go looking for them :lol: or the story makes the news. In this case he is bringing all the unwanted attention to wifey :rolleyes: I'm curious as to what she was wearing over the 4 days when she was committing murder :tape::help:

I can't believe that someone thinks they can wear a niqab for a mug shot, please that would render the whole thing pointless. Oh and there was this British (male) terrorist who tried to evade the police by wearing a full burka. He was cause on camera at a bus station trying to make his escape.

frenchie
Apr 11th, 2009, 01:49 PM
ridiculous as always

The man is more concerned about his wife's picture than the poor kid being killed by his wife!

Halardfan
Apr 11th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Its a grim and mind numbing case on many levels. Truly the father should be ashamed of his pettiness, and realise that the death of his child vastly outweighs whether people saw his wifes shoulder.

On a side note though, people shouldnt use such a shocking case as a stick to beat all Muslims. There are people who are good who are muslim, there are people who are bad who are muslim, the same as any mainstream grouping you care to name. What some people do is take a case like and say, all Muslims are like this, etc etc. Its no more true than saying all Catholics are child abusers just because its happened with Catholic priests, and then been covered up by the catholic church.

saint2
Apr 11th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Why every time when there is a talk about bad things in Islam there's always respond like "but catholic priests are abusing children also".
And: why every time when there is a talk about catholic priests abusing children there's NEVER response in kind "but Islam is doing simmilar things".

Well, I guess its paradox nature of human beings.

raffles
Apr 11th, 2009, 03:08 PM
On a side note though, people shouldnt use such a shocking case as a stick to beat all Muslims. There are people who are good who are muslim, there are people who are bad who are muslim, the same as any mainstream grouping you care to name. What some people do is take a case like and say, all Muslims are like this, etc etc. Its no more true than saying all Catholics are child abusers just because its happened with Catholic priests, and then been covered up by the catholic church.

Why when ever some Muslim makes a stupid statement do they have to jump up and down to be defended. It was a pointless shit stiring exercise and we should leave it at that. They don't need to be defended, there is enough petty lawyers out for a quick buck to that for them all.

Why every time when there is a talk about bad things in Islam there's always respond like "but catholic priests are abusing children also".
And: why every time when there is a talk about catholic priests abusing children there's NEVER response in kind "but Islam is doing simmilar things".
Some religions are more easily "offended" than others. Not that I have any great love for Catholic priests either. You know on a few occasions when I've said something negative about Christianity people have said "you would never say that about Muslims", well actually I might well say that if it applied to them. Unless, they are suggesting that offending Muslims would be more deterimental to my well being than offended Christians.

Ryan
Apr 11th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Hmm, IMO when you beat a child to death you waive your right to religious freedoms. :)

If she's found to be innocent, then meh, you apologize.

raffles
Apr 11th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Hmm, IMO when you beat a child to death you waive your right to religious freedoms. :)

If she's found to be innocent, then meh, you apologize.
Why should they apologise if she was treated the same as any other suspect. They wish to be treated equal under the law like any other citizen don't they?

Ryan
Apr 11th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Why should they apologise if she was treated the same as any other suspect. They wish to be treated equal under the law like any other citizen don't they?

Oh I agree. I just think if she's innocent, it won't hurt the police/whoever to say "Sorry for the inconvenience/mistake", not apologize for the procedure. I worded it badly though. ;)

raffles
Apr 11th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Oh I agree. I just think if she's innocent, it won't hurt the police/whoever to say "Sorry for the inconvenience/mistake", not apologize for the procedure. I worded it badly though. ;)

That's fair enough as long as the apolog doesn't admit any wrong doing in the way they carried out the procedures if it was in accordance with how it would be carried out for anyone else.

Ryan
Apr 11th, 2009, 03:21 PM
That's fair enough as long as the apolog doesn't admit any wrong doing in the way they carried out the procedures if it was in accordance with how it would be carried out for anyone else.

Yeah absolutely - religion is important, but the LAW and the procedure it mandates should be paramount. Sure it might be embarrassing, but that is NOT the police's fault.

Scotso
Apr 11th, 2009, 03:34 PM
can you believe this shit?This guy seems so offended by a single mugshot yet he doesn't seem to bother that his wife beated to death a 2 YEAR OLD child:tape:

Seriously. :tape: I would think he would be more careful with how it would make his culture look if he's bitching about a photograph yet doesn't seem bothered by a child being beaten to death. Yeah, that certainly speaks highly of your culture. :help:

I think not.

As some have said, it's public record. Police and court proceedings are public record. It's a good thing, it's there to protect people from false accusations and to insure that everyone is treated fairly by the judicial system.

I have no issue with this woman's religious beliefs, but a photo is not an assault on her religion. A photo of a person covered head to toe wouldn't be very useful. I guess she can complain to God about how terribly she was treated by the heathens here on Earth before he ships her off to hell. I'm sure he'll get one of his angels to play a nice violin tune to accompany her bitching.

Halardfan
Apr 11th, 2009, 03:42 PM

Well, I guess its paradox nature of human beings.

I made crystal clear how dreadful the case was. There ARE muslims in the world who are dreadful people and who do dreadful things.

Its the next leap I dont like, projecting the crimes of a few on to the great mass of muslims. Rational criticism of Islam is one thing, goodness knows their is plenty of criticize, and that should be done without fear or favour.

Its when views are based on ignorance and prejudice that I worry. Like the oft repeated remark that Islam never contributed anything positive or proggressive to global culture. Which is factually horribly wrong.

Kart
Apr 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM
As some have said, it's public record. Police and court proceedings are public record. It's a good thing, it's there to protect people from false accusations and to insure that everyone is treated fairly by the judicial system.

I have no issue with this woman's religious beliefs, but a photo is not an assault on her religion. A photo of a person covered head to toe wouldn't be very useful. I guess she can complain to God about how terribly she was treated by the heathens here on Earth before he ships her off to hell. I'm sure he'll get one of his angels to play a nice violin tune to accompany her bitching.

This discussion is moot as you and others have pointed out to me that it is public record.

However, if someone's beliefs are that displaying your face or whatever in public should not be done then a releasing a photo does seem to me to be an assault on those beliefs.

raffles
Apr 11th, 2009, 05:10 PM
This discussion is moot as you and others have pointed out to me that it is public record.

However, if someone's beliefs are that displaying your face or whatever in public should not be done then a releasing a photo does seem to me to be an assault on those beliefs.

What if I believe that trying me for a crime was an assult on my belief. It would be laughed at because there is no way that people can use religion as a excuse to avoid justice and the consequence of their actions. She deserves to be treated the same under the law as everyone else, no more no less.

Kart
Apr 11th, 2009, 05:12 PM
What if I believe that trying me for a crime was an assult on my belief. It would be laughed at because there is no way that people can use religion as a excuse to avoid justice and the consequence of their actions. She deserves to be treated the same under the law as everyone else, no more no less.

Did I say that she shouldn't be treated the same as everyone else ?

Scotso
Apr 11th, 2009, 06:48 PM
If they treat everyone equally, it's difficult to claim that they were targeting this woman's religion. This is the way things have been done here for a very long time.

Giving Muslims special treatment would be a violation of the First Amendment.

tennisbear7
Apr 12th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Agreed with Scotso.

Xanadu11
Apr 12th, 2009, 05:56 AM
You know perhaps this woman doesn't arose much sympathy and rightly so but thats the thing about the legal system it often protects people who do horrible things. The police shouldn't out of their way to be protect sensitives but in another sense they shouldn't out of their way not too. We give the police alot of power and by very definition they are dealing with vulnerable people so they need to exercise care. It wouldn't have been too difficult to allow the woman to wear something she felt comfortable in for the mugshot. I mean they already had her in custody. Its not like she would have escaped. Seriously. It's probably a stupid point and this woman and her husband sound like idiots but hey thats what the law does protect you even if you're an idiot.

Hagar
Apr 12th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Pfff, muslims are always insulted by something. If they don't want to be insulted, they should simply behave according to the rules of a modern society. Any murder suspect should get the same treatment. The state is more important than religion.