PDA

View Full Version : 11 Year Old Boy Hangs Himself After Anti-Gay Bullying

Tennisation
Apr 10th, 2009, 10:37 PM
11-Year-Old Hangs Himself after Enduring Daily Anti-Gay Bullying

GLSEN Calls on Schools, Nation to Embrace Solutions to Bullying Problem

NEW YORK, April 9, 2009 - An 11-year-old Massachusetts boy, Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover, hung himself Monday after enduring bullying at school, including daily taunts of being gay, despite his mother’s weekly pleas to the school to address the problem. This is at least the fourth suicide of a middle-school aged child linked to bullying this year.

Carl, a junior at New Leadership Charter School in Springfield who did not identify as gay, would have turned 12 on April 17, the same day hundreds of thousands of students will participate in the 13th annual National Day of Silence by taking some form of a vow of silence to bring attention to anti-LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) bullying and harassment at school. The other three known cases of suicide among middle-school students took place in Chatham, Evanston and Chicago, Ill., in the month of February.

"Our hearts go out to Carl’s mother, Sirdeaner L. Walker, and other members of Carl's family, as well as to the community suffering from this loss," GLSEN Executive Director Eliza Byard said. "As we mourn yet another tragedy involving bullying at school, we must heed Ms. Walker’s urgent call for real, systemic, effective responses to the endemic problem of bullying and harassment. Especially in this time of societal crisis, adults in schools must be alert to the heightened pressure children face, and take action to create safe learning environments for the students in their care. In order to do that effectively, as this case so tragically illustrates, schools must deal head-on with anti-gay language and behavior."

Two of the top three reasons students said their peers were most often bullied at school were actual or perceived sexual orientation and gender expression, according to From Teasing to Torment: School Climate in America, a 2005 report by GLSEN and Harris Interactive. The top reason was physical appearance.

"As was the case with Carl, you do not have to identify as gay to be attacked with anti-LGBT language," Byard said. "From their earliest years on the school playground, students learn to use anti-LGBT language as the ultimate weapon to degrade their peers. In many cases, schools and teachers either ignore the behavior or don’t know how to intervene."

Nearly 9 out of 10 LGBT youth (86.2%) reported being verbally harassed at school in the past year because of their sexual orientation, nearly half (44.1%) reported being physically harassed and about a quarter (22.1%) reported being physically assaulted, according to GLSEN’s 2007 National School Climate Survey of more than 6,000 LGBT students.

In most cases, the harassment is unreported. Nearly two-thirds of LGBT students (60.8%) who experience harassment or assault never reported the incident to the school. The most common reason given was that they didn’t believe anything would be done to address the situation. Of those who did report the incident, nearly a third (31.1%) said the school staff did nothing in response. While LGBT youth face extreme victimization, bullying in general is also a widespread problem. More than a third of middle and high school students (37%) said that bullying, name-calling or harassment is a somewhat or very serious problem at their school, according to From Teasing to Torment. Bullying is even more severe in middle school. Two-thirds of middle school students (65%) reported being assaulted or harassed in the previous year and only 41% said they felt very safe at school.

Carl's suicide comes about a year after eighth-grader Lawrence King was shot and killed by a fellow student in a California classroom, allegedly because he was gay.

GLSEN recommends four simple approaches schools can take to begin addressing bullying now.

Said Walker in the Springfield Republican: "If anything can come of this, it's that another child doesn't have to suffer like this and there can be some justice for some other child. I don't want any other parent to go through this."

About GLSEN
GLSEN, the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network, is the leading national education organization focused on ensuring safe schools for all students. Established nationally in 1995, GLSEN envisions a world in which every child learns to respect and accept all people, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression. GLSEN seeks to develop school climates where difference is valued for the positive contribution it makes to creating a more vibrant and diverse community. For information on GLSEN's research, educational resources, public policy advocacy, student organizing programs and educator training initiatives, visit www.glsen.org.
http://perezhilton.com/2009-04-10-heartbreaking-5#more-49980

Pureracket
Apr 10th, 2009, 10:51 PM
This is so sad!
http://www.glsen.org/images/cached/GLSEN_ARTICLESimage_large2400w200hnorm-.jpg

nikita771
Apr 10th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I just read this article a few minutes ago and was so saddened by this. If this kid thought that the only way to get away from the abuse was to die, there is something wrong.
I really hope that the school is forced to take responsibility for its non action. If the mom was pleading for help and the school officials did nothing, they are just as guilty as the monsters who tormented this child.
It's amazing and disheartening to me how this type of bullying is not taken as seriously as it needs to be.

Dodoboy.
Apr 10th, 2009, 11:18 PM
That's terrible, that's just terrible.

Marshmallow
Apr 11th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Poor child. 11 years old :awww:

I don't really know what to say. We need to figure out how to stop this.

I wonder what his tormentors are thinking and feeling at this time.

Just sad.

doni1212
Apr 11th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Wow, R.I.P.

Talita Kumi
Apr 11th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I want to cry

KanSuke
Apr 11th, 2009, 01:31 AM
:awww: :sad:

njnetswill
Apr 11th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Just horrible. Heartbreaking to see how society has failed these young lives.

Ciarán
Apr 11th, 2009, 02:16 AM
That is awful :tears:

Renalicious
Apr 11th, 2009, 02:20 AM
This is really sad. I totally understand what he must've been going through and it would've been absolutely horrible going through that at such a young age. I myself am a victim of constant daily bullying, it just seems like some people in school have no idea how their words affect certain people. It's like they enjoy making someone feel depressed. My prayers go out to him and his family and I just hope that one day bullying will stop, especially anti-gay bullying. I think it especially hurts when you're bullied about being gay even though you're not, like me. Luckily I have a strong support base (my family), it just sucks that some of these kids feel like they have no one to turn to when they are bullied. Anyway, RIP.

madlove
Apr 11th, 2009, 02:46 AM
i teared upon reading this. this is really really sad.

woosey
Apr 11th, 2009, 03:54 AM
horrifically sad.:sad:

Sam L
Apr 11th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Awful. Unfortunately, there are many instances of bullying like this in Australia too. :(

~{X}~
Apr 11th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Ridiculous, Disgusting, Sad, Maddening. There aren't even words to describe this. It's just so mind boggling to think that a child, 11 years old... had to kill himself because of abuse of others, anti gay abuse. It's sickening.

*Jean*
Apr 11th, 2009, 04:43 AM
This is depressing :sad:

young_gunner913
Apr 11th, 2009, 06:11 AM
This is heart wrenching. Unfortunately there's little that will be done. :o I hope the little maggots who teased him feel good about themselves now.

Scotso
Apr 11th, 2009, 06:16 AM
They should charge those kids with murder and find something to charge the school officials with, too. Nothing is ever done about these situations. A kid in the school my sister teaches in got the crap beat out of him for being gay (though he isn't), and when his parents complained they were told that "boys will be boys."

Sorry, but violence is not normal and acceptable behavior. And if you cause someone to kill themself, you should be in prison.

Adal
Apr 11th, 2009, 07:37 AM
That is really horrible :sad:

Renalicious
Apr 11th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Australia is one of the worst places for anti-gay bullying in high schools. They come up in groups of up to 15 people sometimes to make fun of one single person.

Bijoux0021
Apr 11th, 2009, 10:19 AM
:sad:

One of the biggest problems is that school officials let bullies get away with bullying other kids, and far too long.

Mashabator
Apr 11th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Australia is one of the worst places for anti-gay bullying in high schools. They come up in groups of up to 15 people sometimes to make fun of one single person.

Your exactly right! happened to me when i was at school (and im not even gay).
I cant understand why someones sexual orientation (or their kind of personality) gives people the right to abuse and bully them constantly, i feel for that child and his family.
Something NEEDS to be done, for people like this childs sake.

Chris 84
Apr 11th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Its an incredibly sad thing to have happened :sad:

They should charge those kids with murder and find something to charge the school officials with, too. Nothing is ever done about these situations. A kid in the school my sister teaches in got the crap beat out of him for being gay (though he isn't), and when his parents complained they were told that "boys will be boys."

Sorry, but violence is not normal and acceptable behavior. And if you cause someone to kill themself, you should be in prison.

They could be charged, but never in a million years would they be found guilty. Even if specific laws were put in place to try to make bullying-leading to-suicide into a murder charge, there would never be enough evidence to convict anyone. There will always be a reasonable doubt as to exactly why the suicide occurred.

saint2
Apr 11th, 2009, 10:58 AM
They should charge those kids with murder and find something to charge the school officials with, too.

For a murder ?

And for what You want to charge school officiels ?

Condolences to all affected. Sad story, indeed, but please people behave rationally. No one will charge 11yo kids for murder they haven't commited.

Valanga
Apr 11th, 2009, 11:01 AM
:sad:

Why to end your life? You are just eleven.

nikita771
Apr 11th, 2009, 11:24 AM
For a murder ?

And for what You want to charge school officiels ?

Condolences to all affected. Sad story, indeed, but please people behave rationally. No one will charge 11yo kids for murder they haven't commited.

I'm not certain what charges would apply, but the school failed to create a safe environment for this child. They are at fault, especially since they were aware that the abuse was going on. Now, of course, we don't know the full story and may never know it; however, if the school did nothing to stop this, they need to be held responsible in some way. That is the only way that schools are going to be forced to take a harder stance against bullying. How many more kids have to die because they can't stand going to school everyday and being tormented?
As for the kids, i just hope that the knowledge that they helped drive a fellow classmate to do something so drastic haunts them for the rest of their lives. The average person never knows how his/her actions affect other people. We rarely see the aftermath. We make a rude comment or something else and walk away. These kids know and I pray that they learn something from this.

Marshmallow
Apr 11th, 2009, 11:31 AM
This is heart wrenching. Unfortunately there's little that will be done. :o I hope the little maggots who teased him feel good about themselves now.

That's what I'm wondering. But I wonder how their parents are feeling too. At 11 y/o they're probably recycling behaviours they pick up from home, sometimes.

I remember when I was 9-11 they were at least 3 occassions when I saw parents instilling homophobic attitudes in their kids. One parents was telling my brother how to spot a Homo (I suspect she was warning him about me :lol: - and her son and Nephew at 8 and 10 were engaging in homophobic attacks (rock throwing and spitting at suspect gay kids). One parent questioned me coldly about why I was hanging out with 3 girls (though it was coincidental) and I saw another teacher laughing when a boy was reduced to tears over homophobic comments.

I live in London, UK by the way.

I just think at this age, the kids who are really relentless with their abuse, are picking it up. How do their parents feel that tey contributed to this death. Do they even care?

I just find it so sad to think that he hanged himself too. What he must have been going through and thinking at this time. To carry it out.

Marshmallow
Apr 11th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Hm.

I think what I'd like to see most from this, is an increase in, or compulsary education to these kids about bullying on the whole and potential consequences. More so than any charges. The system as it is, isn't working.

eck
Apr 11th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Poor Kid.
:hug:

Infiniti2001
Apr 11th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Sad :sad: I applaud the parents who sue school districts when their kids are bullied. Maybe if more parents got on that train , the schools would pay attention:rolleyes:

raffles
Apr 11th, 2009, 01:49 PM
That's what I'm wondering. But I wonder how their parents are feeling too. At 11 y/o they're probably recycling behaviours they pick up from home, sometimes.

I remember when I was 9-11 they were at least 3 occassions when I saw parents instilling homophobic attitudes in their kids. One parents was telling my brother how to spot a Homo (I suspect she was warning him about me :lol: - and her son and Nephew at 8 and 10 were engaging in homophobic attacks (rock throwing and spitting at suspect gay kids). One parent questioned me coldly about why I was hanging out with 3 girls (though it was coincidental) and I saw another teacher laughing when a boy was reduced to tears over homophobic comments.

I live in London, UK by the way.

I just think at this age, the kids who are really relentless with their abuse, are picking it up. How do their parents feel that tey contributed to this death. Do they even care?

I just find it so sad to think that he hanged himself too. What he must have been going through and thinking at this time. To carry it out.

Considering the lack of respect many parents have for themselves, their kids and other people in general its easy to see where the kids attitudes come from, especially in the UK. These kids certainly pick up their attitude for someplace and I can bet its the parents and if its not the parents aren't doing anything to set them straight.

Scotso
Apr 11th, 2009, 03:44 PM
They could be charged, but never in a million years would they be found guilty. Even if specific laws were put in place to try to make bullying-leading to-suicide into a murder charge, there would never be enough evidence to convict anyone. There will always be a reasonable doubt as to exactly why the suicide occurred.

In some cases there is proof - emails and postings and such where people are attacking them. And if the person leaves a note...

In any case, even if they can't be convicted, facing a trial where their actions are put on public display will be at least a small punishment in itself. Whether they're ever convicted or not, the threat of trial might at least convince some potential bullies that it isn't worth it.

People are so quick to condemn kids that go to school with guns and massacre people, but they don't seem too bothered to try to prevent the bullying and humiliation that causes it. (And no, I'm not saying that killing bullies is ever justified, but it is understandable.)

Scotso
Apr 11th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I think it especially hurts when you're bullied about being gay even though you're not, like me. Luckily I have a strong support base (my family), it just sucks that some of these kids feel like they have no one to turn to when they are bullied.

Your exactly right! happened to me when i was at school (and im not even gay).
I cant understand why someones sexual orientation (or their kind of personality) gives people the right to abuse and bully them constantly, i feel for that child and his family.
Something NEEDS to be done, for people like this childs sake.

I know this sounds rather cliché, but the people doing this really are only doing it because they're insecure about themselves. The majority of anti-gay bullies are probably gay themselves. One good thing that does come about from this can be seen in both of your posts in this thread... even though you aren't gay yourselves, this has obviously made you both very supportive of homosexuals, and I certainly appreciate that.

Sam L
Apr 11th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I actually think that we need to look at the wider problem of bullying. I know that girl on girl bullying reaches appalling levels and all on a psychological level also.

Going to school is a time when you're finding out about yourself, making connections, establishing your identity etc... And it's not surprising that young people feel insecure and feel the need put others down.

It's definitely a much broader issue.

égalité
Apr 11th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Most of the bullies who drove this kid to suicide probably don't even know what "gay" means. Anyone who thinks that homophobia isn't one of the biggest and most pervasive problems in the world needs to take a look at this case. People are taught that gay is bad before they're taught what gay means. This kid might not have even been gay. He was bullied because he was perceived to be gay.

Kart
Apr 11th, 2009, 05:27 PM
This is tragic.

I wonder how it got so bad that he decided to hang himself.

miffedmax
Apr 11th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I know this sounds rather cliché, but the people doing this really are only doing it because they're insecure about themselves. The majority of anti-gay bullies are probably gay themselves. One good thing that does come about from this can be seen in both of your posts in this thread... even though you aren't gay yourselves, this has obviously made you both very supportive of homosexuals, and I certainly appreciate that.

That's what I was going to point out. One of the saddest and most grotesque ironies of all is that at least some of the kids doing the bullying are probably going to end up coming out some day.

My brother got bullied and called names. Later, as an out, adult gay, he later encountered many of the kids who bullied him in gay bars in our hometown and in NYC.

He's actually become friends with a few of them, understanding that their private struggles were as difficult as his own.

I think he qualifies for f-ing sainthood, but that's him.

Scotso
Apr 11th, 2009, 06:29 PM
He's actually become friends with a few of them, understanding that their private struggles were as difficult as his own.

I think he qualifies for f-ing sainthood, but that's him.

It's a reason for what they did, but not an excuse. Many people face internal problems, but most don't go around bashing people to make them feel better about themselves. I'd forgive them, but I wouldn't want to associate with them other than to ask whether or not they feel any remorse for the pain they've inflicted on others.

young_gunner913
Apr 11th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I actually think that we need to look at the wider problem of bullying. I know that girl on girl bullying reaches appalling levels and all on a psychological level also.

Going to school is a time when you're finding out about yourself, making connections, establishing your identity etc... And it's not surprising that young people feel insecure and feel the need put others down.

It's definitely a much broader issue.

You don't think this is at an apalling level?

LudwigDvorak
Apr 12th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I used to get picked on for being gay all the time before I actually came out in 11th grade. Then no one ever gave me shit again for being gay, which I found very funny.

This is extremely sad, and I know what this kid was feeling. I held a knife to my wrist plenty of times around his age because I didn't want to endure the pain anymore of hating myself and hating that everyone else hated me too. If he and the others had just been strong enough to endure a few more years, they'd have been home free. The teasing in HS generally will become much less severe for most.

Sigh.

skanky~skanketta
Apr 12th, 2009, 06:46 AM

While charging those kids is a little illogical, something definitely needs to be done. Boys will be boys? So if they end up raping a girl is that the same excuse they're gonna give? GOD! What I am most saddened about is that we are moving forward with the times yet people dont seem to be changing. These kids are homophobic because of they're upbringing. That tells you about the parents these days. Sad.

Sam L
Apr 12th, 2009, 07:12 AM
You don't think this is at an apalling level?
Of course it is, where did I say it wasn't? But boys face bullying, girls face bullying too. It's a wider problem of kids bullying other kids.

hwanmig
Apr 12th, 2009, 10:12 AM
And this is from a place where same-sex marriage is legal:o.

Renalicious
Apr 12th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Good point and no problem. Being gay is just a sexual preference and I hope more and more people every year see that - they are still normal people inside and a lot of them are great, great people, some of the best you will ever meet. In the mean time, teachers needs to do something about this bullying thing and stop using ridiculous methods such as assigning students to a school counsellor.

My friend (who got bullied with me) seeked help from a counsellor once because of the bullying, and I went with him (though we went in seperate sessions) and this counsellor was seriously delusional or crazy. She once said to me - "I heard that you guys were kissing and hugging near the lockers. Is that true?" I was like what...the eff. And I was like, "Uhm. No. :weirdo:" And she was like "Hmmm?" like, in a questioning way. On top of this, instead of telling me some actual helpful ways to avoid bullying, she told me to stop 'acting gay'. I mean, what the hell is that. If I was gay I would be like wtf? How can you change what you are? Oh, and she asked me where I came from and I said I'm originally from Indonesia but I've been living here in Australia since I was 2 and she said "I once knew an Indonesian...6 years ago..." And I was thinking uhmmm...we aren't extinct. :weirdo: Anyway yeah, some schools really need to watch how they handle bullies because for one, some counsellors really suck and offer no help at all to the problem.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention the several bullies that bullied us got no consequences at all.

young_gunner913
Apr 12th, 2009, 06:39 PM
And this is from a place where same-sex marriage is legal:o.

it's only legal in 4 states. there's still 46 others out there. :o

young_gunner913
Apr 12th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Of course it is, where did I say it wasn't? But boys face bullying, girls face bullying too. It's a wider problem of kids bullying other kids.

This is a problem that the gay community, parents, and teachers are trying to fight in schools and here you are passing it off as kids will kids and everyone gets bullied. Of course everyone gets teased. But let's take a look at what happened here: a young kid who was not gay was being teased and taunted to the point where he KILLED HIMSELF. And here you come in this thread giving us your guff about girls get the same bullying and that gay bashing isn't the big problem here. Your line thinking is part of the problem Sam. You have very little empathy towards homosexuals and I think it would be better if you didn't make a spectacle of yourself and didnt post in threads like this.

Balltossovic
Apr 12th, 2009, 06:55 PM
That is terrible! That poor boy:sad:

Just Do It
Apr 12th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Awful.

miffedmax
Apr 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM
It's a reason for what they did, but not an excuse. Many people face internal problems, but most don't go around bashing people to make them feel better about themselves. I'd forgive them, but I wouldn't want to associate with them other than to ask whether or not they feel any remorse for the pain they've inflicted on others.

My feelings would be more similar to yours.

Like I said, sometimes my brother is a damn saint. It can be MOST trying.

(Actually, my bro is way :cool: ).

ce
Apr 12th, 2009, 10:19 PM
omg his mother must be crashed now,omg where do we live :sad:

Kart
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I am very intolerant of feuds spilling over from the political subforum into this one.

Marshmallow
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I am very intolerant of feuds spilling over from the political subforum into this one.

Oh yes Kart, assert that authority. :fans self: What a Man :drool:

Kart
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Oh that's nice, I haven't had a groupie for a while.

Scotso
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:40 AM

I try to be pretty accomodating, but this is one situation where I can't. This isn't just a feud from the political forum, it's a big deal to some of us. It's extremely offensive to have someone bash a group for months and months and then suddenly act as though they're a champion for our rights. The comments he's made about gays here are disgusting and he has no business posting in a thread like this.

Scotso
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Good point and no problem. Being gay is just a sexual preference and I hope more and more people every year see that - they are still normal people inside and a lot of them are great, great people, some of the best you will ever meet. In the mean time, teachers needs to do something about this bullying thing and stop using ridiculous methods such as assigning students to a school counsellor.

My friend (who got bullied with me) seeked help from a counsellor once because of the bullying, and I went with him (though we went in seperate sessions) and this counsellor was seriously delusional or crazy. She once said to me - "I heard that you guys were kissing and hugging near the lockers. Is that true?" I was like what...the eff. And I was like, "Uhm. No. :weirdo:" And she was like "Hmmm?" like, in a questioning way. On top of this, instead of telling me some actual helpful ways to avoid bullying, she told me to stop 'acting gay'. I mean, what the hell is that. If I was gay I would be like wtf? How can you change what you are? Oh, and she asked me where I came from and I said I'm originally from Indonesia but I've been living here in Australia since I was 2 and she said "I once knew an Indonesian...6 years ago..." And I was thinking uhmmm...we aren't extinct. :weirdo: Anyway yeah, some schools really need to watch how they handle bullies because for one, some counsellors really suck and offer no help at all to the problem.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention the several bullies that bullied us got no consequences at all.

Are you serious?! What a stupid bitch. I'd kick her in the nuts. :p

Kart
Apr 13th, 2009, 12:53 AM
I try to be pretty accomodating, but this is one situation where I can't. This isn't just a feud from the political forum, it's a big deal to some of us. It's extremely offensive to have someone bash a group for months and months and then suddenly act as though they're a champion for our rights. The comments he's made about gays here are disgusting and he has no business posting in a thread like this.
I'm afraid it doesn't work that way Scotso.

He posted one inoffensive line on this topic to start with.

Nothing about championing your rights.

It did not warrant the response you gave.

Simple as that.

Craig.
Apr 13th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Why are people so darn cruel? :sobbing:

Seyz
Apr 13th, 2009, 02:06 AM
The root of the problem is the parents and the society. Somehow these other kids were taught at a really young age that being gay is bad and a just means to bully this poor child. And where did they learn this? Parents, popular culture, and religious right winged freaks (select few). It's really sad. I think children whom bully are inherently evil though.

Cat's Pajamas
Apr 13th, 2009, 02:36 AM
:sad: Just devastating to the family. Certainly in my thoughts and prayers. Our country still has a LONG way to go in changing our cultural mentality toward homosexuality. Sometimes my own friends say crazy, insensitive, borderline discriminate things that I have to call them out on. I know it's because their parents raised them that way. :shrug:

Junior high mentality is just insane sometimes. I found out a girl from the school I went to, who is several years younger than me, but whom I still know of had to leave my school because a group of 4 or 5 girls ganged up on her and poured perfume on her when she begged them not to because she's allergic to it. :rolleyes:

Where do children get the idea that these kinds of things are acceptable? I'm dumbfounded. :weirdo:

I hope those boys think about that boy and his family every single day of their lives.

Sam L
Apr 13th, 2009, 08:50 AM
This is a problem that the gay community, parents, and teachers are trying to fight in schools and here you are passing it off as kids will kids and everyone gets bullied. Of course everyone gets teased. But let's take a look at what happened here: a young kid who was not gay was being teased and taunted to the point where he KILLED HIMSELF. And here you come in this thread giving us your guff about girls get the same bullying and that gay bashing isn't the big problem here. Your line thinking is part of the problem Sam. You have very little empathy towards homosexuals and I think it would be better if you didn't make a spectacle of yourself and didnt post in threads like this.

Girls get bullying about a different kind but they do. We can agree to disagree but I'm not saying kids will be kids. But kids bullying other kids is a fact of life that we all need to deal with.

I'm afraid it doesn't work that way Scotso.

He posted one inoffensive line on this topic to start with.

Nothing about championing your rights.

It did not warrant the response you gave.

Simple as that.

Thanks. There's nothing else to say really.

young_gunner913
Apr 13th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Girls get bullying about a different kind but they do. We can agree to disagree but I'm not saying kids will be kids. But kids bullying other kids is a fact of life that we all need to deal with.

Okay. So, so what Sam? So what? We're talking about an 11 year old boy who killed himself because some other little boys thought it would be fun to pick on him and call him gay. This young boy is dead. Think of how hurt his parents must be. Think of their loss. They've lost their son and what will be done about it? Are we to say that kids need to deal with getting bullied and thats the end of it? Those other young boys shouldn't own up to their actions and everything should just go on as normal? Thats a load of bullcrap. This isNT just some everyday playground name calling. This is a malicious daily routine that is carried out on tons of children every day.

I've noticed your posts about homosexuals. Some that were recently reposted in here for a short while and others. From what I've seen, its that your own personal homophobia that makes you disreguard the death of a child and see this just another bullying case. You just don't get it. And sadly, I don't think you ever will.

~Eclipsed~
Apr 14th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Aww that's so sad that he couldn't talk or reach out to someone before he took his life. I know exactly what he went through. It really sucks to hear that people go through similiar torment as me and STILL nothing has been done about it. It's especially odd how both of these incidents happened in states that you would think would be open-minded about this issue, but I guess homophobia is everywhere.

My condolences go out to the family and friends of the boy. :sad:

PatrickRyan
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Anderson Cooper did a piece on it, I cried when his mother was telling how she had to cut him down :sad:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0dplCyCvv5s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0dplCyCvv5s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

young_gunner913
Apr 17th, 2009, 05:57 AM
that's so sad, a survivor of breast cancer and being homeless and now her son dies. his mother is a very strong woman and my thoughts and prayers go out to her and her son. hope he can be at peace.

Marshmallow
Apr 17th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Anderson Cooper did a piece on it, I cried when his mother was telling how she had to cut him down :sad:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0dplCyCvv5s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0dplCyCvv5s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That is truly heartbreaking. His mother had to cut him down! What a horrific experience that must have been for her.

This is all so tragic.

Off topic though, the civil rights movement particularly that for racial equality was just so HUGE. Everytime someone faces discrimination for disability, sexal discrimination, gender... I always hear some comparison about how it would never be tolerated if something racist happened. It gets irksome sometimes, because it's not even accurate. But I digress, this is not the place for that.

Marshmallow
Apr 17th, 2009, 09:59 AM
that's so sad, a survivor of breast cancer and being homeless and now her son dies. his mother is a very strong woman and my thoughts and prayers go out to her and her son. hope he can be at peace.

I agree. I think it's amazing how composed she was even giving this interview. Amazing. I don't think I could be so strong in her shoes.

Philbo
Apr 17th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Awful. Unfortunately, there are many instances of bullying like this in Australia too. :(
Correct. And this Bullying falls under 'discrimination' that homosexuals have to endure on a daily basis, even in 'tolerant' countries. I know you admitted error and apologised for your insensitive past remarks that gays no longer face discrimination, and I appreciated that. But I still wonder whether you really have a good idea of how bad it is for some homosexuals even in this day and age.

Most of the bullies who drove this kid to suicide probably don't even know what "gay" means. Anyone who thinks that homophobia isn't one of the biggest and most pervasive problems in the world needs to take a look at this case. People are taught that gay is bad before they're taught what gay means. This kid might not have even been gay. He was bullied because he was perceived to be gay.

Exactly. This is why I DETEST it when people use the word 'gay' to mean anything bad. It just means that society accepts on a fundamental level that homosexuality = bad. You hear 8 year olds saying 'oh thats gay' about a tv show they hate and they dont even know what the word gay means...

Furthermore, many studies have estimated that as many as many as 1 in 3 homosexual youths/teens will at some stage attempt suicide. 33%. Thats massive and shows just how terrible this problem is.

Its a systemic problem that involves teachers turning a blind eye, parents not controlling their children or worse yet, actively teaching their children to be hateful towards gays and schools not having sufficent policies in place to deal with this problem.

And it all stems from the church.

bad_angel_109
Apr 17th, 2009, 01:09 PM
:speakles: :eek: wtf? why the hell should ANYONE care if someone's gay or even bi? so wat if they like the same sex or are a fence sitter? thats ridiculous! :mad:

Helen Lawson
Apr 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM
That's an awful story. Slamming people for being gay is the only acceptable discrmination left, and it's going to die hard, unfortunately. Well, the only kind of out in the open discrimination left.

Is it just me, or is the guy in the goatee in the video hot?

bad_angel_109
Apr 17th, 2009, 01:29 PM
That's an awful story. Slamming people for being gay is the only acceptable discrmination left, and it's going to die hard, unfortunately. Well, the only kind of out in the open discrimination left.

Is it just me, or is the guy in the goatee in the video hot?can u tell me of a young gay guy who isn't hot? :lol:

Helen Lawson
Apr 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I don't like guys under 40 usually, but he had sort of rough around the edges look, little swarthy, little overweight, I think maybe a trashy or blue collar background, I liked the whole package, it worked for him. I bet I could score his email from his company's website, or do you think that's too stalker-ish?

Kart
Apr 17th, 2009, 02:29 PM
It's only stalker-ish if he's not into 90 year old women.

Otherwise it's just pro-active IMHO.

Philbo
Apr 17th, 2009, 02:31 PM
It's only stalker-ish if he's not into 90 year old women.

Otherwise it's just pro-active IMHO.

LOL - Go for it Helen!! :)

Helen Lawson
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Should I address the email to him by name, or "Dear Hot-Stuff" ??

~Eclipsed~
Apr 17th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Do you really think this is the appropriate thread?

Helen Lawson
Apr 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Do you really think this is the appropriate thread?

I don't know, maybe not. But life goes on after all, and talking about cute guys makes me feel good when I feel bad, and boy do I feel bad. I feel better already.

Scotso
Apr 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM

Definitey hot stuff. It's going to be creepy enough for him that you got his email, so you shouldn't make it too personal in your initial communication. A generic term like "dude," "sweetcheeks," or "butterbottom" is far more appropriate.

esquímaux
Apr 18th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Well... anti-gay bullying happens. I don't condone it and I definitely don't like it (most likely because I've been on the receiving end lol.) I feel for the lil dude, but everytime I'm bashed I tell 'em to kiss my ass and beat the shit out of them :lol: It's kinda weird because I can relate to the whole suicide-over-being-gay bs. Then I just realized that they aren't worth me killing myself :lol: Having friends helps too. You know, having someone that you can call at 3 a.m. and vent to. I think the issues build when you try to deal with it by yourself sans someone to vent with.